Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+27
football51
skop
SackExchange
Seaver
DonMaynard
McJet
jamesfyo123
Blindsidebrick
Polishjetfan
GratefulJet
WilliesDad
Metjetgal
MachinaVerde
Atljet60
The Wicker Man
Old#15
trico990
Lakerfan1980
LIJETFAN
HYATT™
hobson54
danfran
lnap23
soj
NickSINYC
JohnnyBaseball
Superman55
31 posters

Geno Smith

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Geno Smith - Page 3 Empty Re: Geno Smith

Post by Superman55 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 22:28

JohnnyBaseball wrote:I'm starting to come around to the idea that teams should try drafting QBs every year, until they find that guy who can step in and be good right away. No more waiting for guys to develop, and then they never do! You either play well, first season, or hit the bricks! At least we can then avoid these arguments about whether guys are progressing enough, etc. Once we have THE guy, we will know. If you have to ask, he's not the guy.

Obviously, I'm exaggerating, but boy would I love to see the Jets find a guy who just IS good, no question about it.

I bet that's what 49ers fans are thinking right now...as their Qb continues to stare down Wrs and not progress through reads...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 22:38

football51 wrote:Saw this on espnnewyork.com   I didn't realize we were 8th in total offense. Not bad for having no weapons afro.

"I know I've improved, but the only thing on my mind is (we) lost," Smith said after the game. "I can't even think about what happened last year or anything at that point. It's about this team and this year and me being the quarterback of this team. I've got to do a better job to give us a chance to win games."

Smith is moving the ball well -- the Jets are eighth in total offense -- but scoring is an issue because they're 4-for-12 in the red zone. Against the Bears, they managed only one touchdown in six red-zone trips.

I would like to see all 3 te's on the field in the redzone. Let's see how defenses guard against those trees.

Wait, Geno's offense is 8th in the NFL...in his 19th start?  Why aren't we starting Vick next week?  Maybe we have something that needs to be refined... affraid

Bet Packers fans wish they had a top 20 offense...(28th) with "the best QB in football."

Maybe...just maybe, we have something here...maybe...if we don't screw it up and go to Vick and wait and see if Lee and Marty can refine his mistakes.

Because the best QB in the league is making so many mistakes they are 28th in total offense (21st in passing offense, behind the jets even in that category).  Hopefully we can fix Geno, wouldn't throw him away yet...(Brady is 26th in offense)...

Guess there has been a little improvement in year 2...  silent
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Wed 24 Sep 2014 - 2:07

JohnnyBaseball wrote:I'm starting to come around to the idea that teams should try drafting QBs every year, until they find that guy who can step in and be good right away. No more waiting for guys to develop, and then they never do! You either play well, first season, or hit the bricks! At least we can then avoid these arguments about whether guys are progressing enough, etc. Once we have THE guy, we will know. If you have to ask, he's not the guy.

Obviously, I'm exaggerating, but boy would I love to see the Jets find a guy who just IS good, no question about it.
    Skip the stat lines on rookie QBs, what IS notable is whether or not a QB has "IT".
    They may screw the pooch terribly in the first couple of seasons but the Gi'nts keeping Eli around was based on more than his older brother SAYING Eli was the better athlete and QB in the family.
    Coaches KNOW this stuff, see a zillion prospects parade through over the course of their careers as coaches.
    If you can't tell a QB who has "IT" in varying degrees, from one who doesn't - right away - you don't belong in the coaching profession.

That said, what's a HC in the NFL SUPPOSED to say if he finds himself stuck with a not-so-"IT" QB, that the team spent a high draft pick on?
    He's shight?
    He was a waste of a pick, go pick again?
    GMs aren't keen on hearing their subordinate coaches telling them their talent assessment skill SUX.

So we hear crap like "I see the arrow pointing up", as Rex was quoted saying the other day.
    All you, as a fan, can hope, is that Rex didn't mean the arrow that was pointing up is one intended to shove up the QBs arse before roasting him over a bed of hot coals on the way to the door.
    I don't believe I EVER heard Bill Walsh say anything so obtuse about Joe Montana.
    What's MORE telling, to HYATT™️, is what Rex Ryan is NOT saying about Mr. Smith. Rolling Eyes
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 24 Sep 2014 - 9:36

HYATT™️ wrote:

Skip the stat lines on rookie QBs, what IS notable is whether or not a QB has "IT".
    They may screw the pooch terribly in the first couple of seasons but the Gi'nts keeping Eli around was based on more than his older brother SAYING Eli was the better athlete and QB in the family.
    Coaches KNOW this stuff, see a zillion prospects parade through over the course of their careers as coaches.
    If you can't tell a QB who has "IT" in varying degrees, from one who doesn't - right away - you don't belong in the coaching profession.

That said, what's a HC in the NFL SUPPOSED to say if he finds himself stuck with a not-so-"IT" QB, that the team spent a high draft pick on?
    He's shight?
    He was a waste of a pick, go pick again?
    GMs aren't keen on hearing their subordinate coaches telling them their talent assessment skill SUX.

So we hear crap like "I see the arrow pointing up", as Rex was quoted saying the other day.
    All you, as a fan, can hope, is that Rex didn't mean the arrow that was pointing up is one intended to shove up the QBs arse before roasting him over a bed of hot coals on the way to the door.
    I don't believe I EVER heard Bill Walsh say anything so obtuse about Joe Montana.
    What's MORE telling, to HYATT™️, is what Rex Ryan is NOT saying about Mr. Smith. Rolling Eyes

That's a lot of words coming from someone whose QB is playing worse than ours.  Good luck this weekend.

Geno Smith - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsJJCAvfTwXLexu0BvCOrPAeHlVHem_Fv6yyyBrVyHyQUMFmVz
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Wed 24 Sep 2014 - 16:41

Reasonable minds differ.  I am not willing at this point to throw in the towel on Geno at all.  It is far too early for that.  He needs time to develop.  He ran a very simple offense at WV, that is the first thing.  So he had a steep learning curve.  Second, he needs reps in that offense against the myriad of NFL defenses before his decision making really sharpens up.  It has improved significantly from when he started the season last year.  And 3rd, the personnel around him is not very good right now.  Montana had Rice, Taylor, Clark and so on.  Geno is throwing to David Nelson, Jeremy Kerley (who is a good slot receiver) and Jeff Cumberland right now.  Not exactly Rice & Taylor.  

He needs more time.  Now he may turn out to be just another mediocre QB in a long line of mediocre QBs.  Or, he may turn out to be better than most people think and become a very good NFL player.  He deserves that opportunity.  He has shown enough flashes to say, he has a chance to become a good player.

As far as the IT factor - many of the pundits were saying Manziel has IT.  Maybe he does.  But he hasn't looked like much of NFL QB thus far.   There are a handful of QBs that actually have IT.  In the league today there are probably 5 or 6.  Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Wilson and Luck.  That's it.  There are a handful of other very good QBs, Ryan, Stafford, Kapernick.  Geno's ceiling is that second group.  His floor is Browning Nagle.  But, he does have upside.  So let's see how it plays out this season.  If he doesn't show enough this year, then you have to draft someone next year anyway...
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 24 Sep 2014 - 16:59

Very well put LIJETFAN.

Also, didn't Ryan Leaf have "it" coming out? Jamarcus Russell too?

Smith needs to improve his decision making. He already has improved his footwork, accuracy, pocket presence, etc. Now, some qb's never improve their decision making and are still good(Eli Manning) or even HOF(Brett Favre). I have no idea what Smith will ultimately become, but anyone who dismisses his growth from year one to year two isn't being fair IMO. Not comparing him to any other qb. Just his own personal improvement from one year to the next.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 24 Sep 2014 - 17:05

Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 3m
    Geno Smith on criticism/people calling for Michael Vick: "They don’t exist within our locker room. They don’t exist around here." #nyj

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 7m
    If Geno corrects mistakes, Vick knows there's a chance we won't see him a lot. "I won’t say that’s what I want. But I want success for Geno"

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 5m
    "I want Geno to fulfill everything that he wants to fulfill in this game and at the quarterback position."

-- Michael Vick

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 24 Sep 2014 - 19:15

Chris Lopresti @CLoprestiWFAN · 21h
    For those who can't get enough of the Geno/Vick stuff, here's comments from the @ProFootballTalk guys on @NBCSN. #NYJ

Geno Smith - Page 3 ByQ0Jv4IAAAjiiT

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 25 Sep 2014 - 19:21

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 25 Sep 2014 - 23:30

Geno Smith - QB - Jets
    Speaking Thursday, Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg called Geno Smith's five turnovers "an issue."
    "Good quarterbacks take care of the ball," Mornhinweg said. "He's simply been too lose there." Mornhinweg also said he's "put too much" on Smith's plate in the red zone, where the Jets have struggled. Mornhinweg shot down the idea of turning to Michael Vick, however. "Geno's going to be just fine. ... We’re right in the middle of developing a young quarterback." Smith remains a mid-range QB2 for fantasy purposes.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 26 Sep 2014 - 5:33

In Geno Smith The New York Jets Should Trust
    September 25, 2014 6:21 AM
    Share on email1
    View Comments
    (Credit, Elsa/Getty Images)
    (Credit, Elsa/Getty Images)
    Related Tags: AFC East, Geno Smith, Local football bloggers, New York Jets, Rex Ryan

Jets Central
    Buy Jets Tickets
    Mon Sep.22
    Home vs Chicago Bears
    findticketsbtn In Geno Smith The New York Jets Should Trust
    Sun Sep.28
    Home vs Detroit Lions
    Sun Oct.5
    Away vs San Diego Chargers
    Sun Oct.12
    Home vs Denver Broncos

Shop for Jets Gear
    NFL Scoreboard
    NFL Standings
    Team STATS
    Team Schedule
    Team Roster
    Team Injuries
    NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
    Get our weekday morning briefs direct from the WFAN newsroom
    By Tyson Rauch
    One of the biggest stories to come out of the New York Jets 27-19 loss to the Chicago Bears was the sub-par performance from quarterback Geno Smith. The Jets second year signal caller threw two terrible interceptions and seemed to regress with his decision making. With the game on the line, Smith overthrew wide receiver Jeremy Kerley in the end zone to seal New York’s fate.
    With the New York Jets sitting at a record of 1-2 there is a notion that Gang Green should bench Geno Smith in favor of veteran Michael Vick. The feeling amongst some is that Vick gives the Jets the best chance to win. In my opinion that is not the case and there are several reasons why.
    One bad game does not warrant a benching.
    Every quarterback in the NFL has a bad game or two and last Sunday was one for Geno Smith. Lets not forget the first two games of the season where Smith played fairly well displaying marked improvement, strong leadership, and resiliency. Geno gave his team an excellent chance to win in Green Bay and even kept Gang Green in the hunt against Chicago despite some mistakes. Is that not what you want from a young quarterback who has only played in 19 NFL games?
    The offense is still developing.
    Now that Geno Smith has a year under his belt, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is able to expand the playbook while incorporating new players. The first quarter of the season is about getting acclimated to the offense and developing game chemistry with the receivers and tight ends. To pull the plug on Geno before giving him a significant chance to maximize his opportunity within the offense seems quite foolish. Let Smith establish a rapport with Eric Decker, Chris Johnson, Jeff Cumberland and Jace Amaro before we start selling the kid short.
    What exactly does Vick bring to the table?
    When people speak of Michael Vick you would think that he was a human highlight reel for the last 10 years. The fact of the matter is that in his last 42 games Vick had 49 turnovers. Let’s also not forget that the last time Michael played a full season was in 2006.
    Michael Vick is a solid veteran quarterback that has a propensity to turn the ball over and get injured. Why exactly would you bench a young quarterback for this type of player? Because he has the ability to make a splash play here and there? Because he was on the cover of Madden? A name does not make a player, his actions on the field do. Over the last three seasons Vick has not exactly lived up to the reputation he established in Atlanta and early on in Philadelphia.
    Let the kid learn and play.
    At this point the New York Jets are better off sticking with Geno Smith and seeing what the kid has to offer. It is still early in Smith’s career and there are several promising signs, including his relentless work ethic, an ability to make every throw on the field, and a refuse to lose attitude. The Jets quarterback is improving and will continue to do so with game reps.
    The ghost of Mark Sanchez.

It is unfair to assess Geno Smith after only 19 games when many quarterbacks get two or three years to prove themselves. You cannot let the poor experience with Mark Sanchez taint your thinking when developing a young signal caller. Geno Smith has a ton of ability, give him a chance to show what he can do. You would hate to throw away a potential franchise quarterback because of a short sighted way of thinking.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Fri 26 Sep 2014 - 10:47

Agree its to early but 5 turnovers in three games is a concern and if it doesn't improved he needs to sit.
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Fri 26 Sep 2014 - 19:09

Benching QBs rarely works in the QBs favor.
    Leinart, Skelton, Anderson, Kolb - ALL were benched in AZ at various points and where are any of them now?
    Vince Young, in spite of a winning record, got benched in TEN.
    How's that working out for either party?
    TB, JAX, MIA, MIN - all have benched QBs recently, and it's NEVER turned out for the better.

Benching is just another way to spell venting, because the QBs never get better for it, the team never improves because they play the backup to a QB that should have been a backup anyway - I mean a backup to the backup is gunna improve yer chances? - DUMB.

If you feel a need to bench a QB, you need a NEW QB, and since you can't GET a NEW QB in mid-season, what's the point of putting in a (5) INT-prone Kirk Cousins in the first place?
    So the team can get an even higher pick in next year's draft?

I suppose the "SUK FOR LUCK" philosophy may have some bearing in such a scenario - but even then the benching nearly screwed everything up.
    When Indy benched Curtis Painter & stuck in Orlovsky, who promptly won a couple games, it almost cost Indy the first pick in the draft and the LUCK they'd been trying to SUK for.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Fri 26 Sep 2014 - 22:50

Hyatt, I don't care what you say or what stats say I care about winning and he had 25 turnover last year and already has 5.  If he continues to make the same mental mistakes which result in turning the ball over and lost games then he needs to sit...
    Lakerfan1980
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Lakerfan1980 Sat 27 Sep 2014 - 6:46

Geno looks slow and deliberate when dropping back, reading coverages and delivering the ball. I do think Geno is unfairly judged as opposed to many other QB's. There are 100 million dollar QB's with elite receivers, who continue to throw picks and lose games.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Sat 27 Sep 2014 - 16:56

Lakerfan1980 wrote:Geno looks slow and deliberate when dropping back, reading coverages and delivering the ball. I do think Geno is unfairly judged as opposed to many other QB's.  There are 100 million dollar QB's with elite receivers, who continue to throw picks and lose games.

I am judging what I see and rex even was critical of him this week regarding the red zone specifically his ability to read and throw or take off... while he has improved he has - in my opinion cost us one game for sure - and maybe 2 because the Packer game he like the rest O disappeared and that is not what top flight QBs do... they elevate everyone around them.

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 27 Sep 2014 - 17:26

Chris Lopresti retweeted
    Mike Sielski @MikeSielski · 9h
    Listening to @CLoprestiWFAN explain how Marty Mornhinweg is getting too cute with his red-zone calls. Two words: déjà vu. #NYJ #Eagles
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 2:21

soj wrote:Hyatt, I don't care what you say or what stats say I care about winning and he had 25 turnover last year and already has 5.  If he continues to make the same mental mistakes which result in turning the ball over and lost games then he needs to sit...
    Honestly SOJ, HYATT™ is trying his DAMNEDEST to stay open-minded & unbiased about the kid, but he's not making it easy on me - given where he came from in my pre-draft review of him and all of it being fulfilled weekly.
    Lakerfan1980
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Lakerfan1980 Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 10:08

A healthy Chad Pennington would be an elite QB in today NFL, with his ability to read defense and get the ball out quickly and accurately. Geno struggles in the redzone have everything to do with his inability to read and get the ball out quickly.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 10:29

Lakerfan1980 wrote:A healthy Chad Pennington would be an elite QB in today NFL, with his ability to read defense and get the ball out quickly and accurately.  Geno struggles in the redzone have everything to do with his inability to read and get the ball out quickly.

I want to agree but also some of that blame should be attributed to Marty. Bringing in Mike Vick just kills any momentum Geno is having. QB sweeps with Geno just impedes the continuity that Ivory or CJ2K can have with their O-Line.
    Just let Geno throw and if he has to on a broken play then run.

The coaching staff is over complicating things. With all honesty, it has more to do with Rex than Marty at this point. Rex will absolutley will not let the "Wildcat" die. No one uses it and theres reason behind it. Defenses know how to stop it.

If the brass is going to judge Smith fairly, let him just play QB, not decoy or RB.
    trico990
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by trico990 Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 10:47

OK given the state of the AFC East, I am officially off the fence and saying Vick should be our starting QB now. With NE without weapons Brady is just another guy. Tanny is crap and Manuel is getting benched. That means it is quite possible that the best QB in the division is on our bench. 9-7 will win this division and we haven't played a division game yet and are 1-0 in the conference. Rex knows he has to win. Teams play to win now not next year ( well except suck for Luck). If Rex stays with Geno then I have to question whether or not he is allowed to make those decisions unilaterally. If he isn't then that would suck that a guy has his job on the line but is made to be a puppet and basically hang himself. I'm not saying that I have any info that is the case, just saying it wouldn't be fair and smells fishy.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 12:10

Lakerfan1980 wrote:A healthy Chad Pennington would be an elite QB in today NFL, with his ability to read defense and get the ball out quickly and accurately.  Geno struggles in the redzone have everything to do with his inability to read and get the ball out quickly.

Pennington would be great on this team. With a good defense and solid running game, he could manage the offense, spread the ball around, and keep defenses off balance. His arm strength wouldn't be as much of an issue, as he would use multiple TEs, slot WRs, and RBs out of the backfield. It's a shame he wasn't 10-12 years younger.
    danfran
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by danfran Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 12:11

Very true. This weak division is there for the taking.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 12:17

This division is there for the taking. That said, I would still remain on course with Geno, give him the challenge of righting the ship. If he succeeds, he's your guy. If he falters, you know you have to bring in a new QB in the draft.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 12:31

SackExchange wrote:This division is there for the taking. That said, I would still remain on course with Geno, give him the challenge of righting the ship. If he succeeds, he's your guy. If he falters, you know you have to bring in a new QB in the draft.

Agree 100%

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 8 May 2024 - 21:50