Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+12
NickSINYC
SackExchange
GratefulJet
LIJETFAN
AFA2017
football51
Sarge
Metjetgal
Old#15
Seaver
The Wicker Man
cysporsche
16 posters

2014 Draft

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

2014 Draft Empty 2014 Draft

Post by cysporsche Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 16:03

Let's all step back & relax & think about what I'm going to say. This popped in my head after Jalen Saunders WR / KR / PR returned a kick 99 yards for the Saints yesterday. Was I happy with the 2014 draft, initially I hated it because I wanted Moncrief WR in the draft and was not wild about the McDougle CB pick because I knew nothing about him, and I'm a Draftnik who follows the ACC & SEC very closely, as well as most College football. Lets analyze our draft and keep in mind 4 of these picks were compensatory picks that can't be traded.

18) Calvin Pryor SS / Louisville - I think after Beckham got scooped up by the Giants, Pryor was #2 on our big board. I think he will be a future star once he's moved back to SS.

49) Jace Amaro TE / Texas Tech - He was rated by all the draft guru's to be a 1st round talent. He'll be our #1 TE of the future.

80) Dexter McDougle CB / Maryland - I wanted Moncrief & knew nothing about him. In Training Camp, he was our best rookie, so I have strong hope still for Dexter.

104) Jalen Saunders WR / KR / PR / Oklahoma - Bill Polian said he was the most exciting player in the Senior Bowl. He was dynamite for the Sooners. He's now on the Saints 53.

115) Shaquelle Evans WR / UCLA - If this guy was showing signs on our roster instead of being on our I.R., maybe the Idzik haters would back off a little.

137) Dakota Dozier G / T / Furman - He was a stud LT for a medium sized program with a ton of potential. He might be our RG next season.

154) Jeremiah George ILB / Iowa State - He got scooped up because Rex did not like him, and he's on the Jag's 53.

195) Brandon Dixon CB / NW Missouri State - He showed flashes in camp but was scooped up and is now on the Buc's 53.

209) Quincy Enunwa WR / Nebraska - Team captain and excellent WR for the Corn Huskers. He's still on our P.S..

210) IK Enemkpali LB / Louisiana Tech - This kid looks real promising to me on our 53.

213) Tajh Boyd QB / Clemson - This was a Rex pick and I loved it. We were wrong, but this guy was fantastic @ Clemson. Not sure if he's still playing ball.

233) Trevor Reilly OLB / Utah - Steal of the draft for us. Some experts had him going in the 2nd-3rd rounds. He is a warrior and a 7th round steal.

So based on these 12 picks, only one player (Boyd) is not on a current teams roster. I'm no Mel Kiper, but if you analyze these 12 picks fairly you'd see that Idzik, Jeff Bauer & Bradway did not do that bad of job. We maybe should have bundled a few picks to move down, but overall, this is not that bad of draft. cheers

Go Jets...Cyborg
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

2014 Draft Empty Re: 2014 Draft

Post by The Wicker Man Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 17:19

Nice post, Cy.
    1. Pryor-will be a stud! That's a fact.  
    2. Amaro-finally someone to fill Mickey Shuler's shoes--it's been that long.
    3. McDougle-You used love to call Eric Smith "Reach". This may be Reach, Jr. (but, he's got talent).
    4. Saunders-Holy crap did he look tiny, almost fragile. Not sure if he's long for this league.
    5. Shaq- Incomplete, don't know anything about this kid.
    6. Dozier-solid pick for round 6.
    7. George-Honestly, I don't know squat about him.
    8. Dixon-we could've used him this year. Although, I'm not sure how he played in Tampa.
    9. Enunwa-see Shaq
    10. IK-Looks like a keeper and may be a hidden gem.
    11. Boyd-Hated this pick, never had a chance...but if you're going to eff up, do it with a 7th rounder.
    12. Reilly-I haven't seen much of him, but a solid 7th round pick.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 17:40

Shaq Evans was rumored to be on the chopping block before IR rescued him. He was a lot slower in person.

Saunders was not going to be nothing but a return guy because of his size..........bit of a reach with other WRs still on board
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 7:50

Agree nice post CY.  What that demonstrates is that there are a lot of incompletes from 2014, but hardly consider it a bust of a draft as some would suggest. Proper development will be key going forward.  You would also have to add class of 2014 UDFAs or castoffs from other rosters like #22 Williams or OG Johnson to get a more complete look.  When it is all said and done there may be 6 or 7 quality players from the class of 2014.  When you consider that 6 of the 12 draftees came in the 5th to 7th round, I would contend that's very good.  The bottom line is that it's impossible for me or anyone else to know today how good or bad the 2014 draft is.  We will see in a couple of years when guys like Evans, Dozier, Enunwa, IK, DexMcD and Reilly get a chance to play.  I also think Pryor and Amaro are givens.

Last edited by Old#15 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 12:49; edited 1 time in total
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 12:48

1 of our 2014 draftees who wasn't good enough for Jets' 3-12 squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg2TIa_Vsnw
    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Metjetgal Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 13:32

Pretty unimpressed with Pryor.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 13:39

Metjetgal wrote:Pretty unimpressed with Pryor.

Hard to stomach this thread.

We drafted a bunch of players who didn't help us at all...but they're really, really, really good because i'm a jets fan and they were drafted by the jets.

As Damien woody said last weekend, looking around the league at how amazing this rookie class looks only shows how poor the jets players are from this draft; either that, or we drafted all the slow kids.

As for Pryor, so far it looks like we drafted a box safety #18 with top 10 talent still on the board including the best safety in the draft, Deone Buchannon. Pryor may turn into a cam Chancellor, I hope so...but right now, he looks like the safety version of Kyle Wilson.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 13:48

For me its' pretty hard to stomach some of the know-it-alls with short memories.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 13:58

Dakota Dozier won the annual team award for the rookie who demonstrates the most professional attitude/demeanor
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 14:01

If you're looking at the '14 draft with the mindset of who we should've drafted, then you're
    going to be disappointed. I'm going to try and stay positive because I do like Pryor and Amaro
    a lot.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 14:18

So now that the "draft experts" have come out to play, let's look @ the 2013 Draft

9) Dee Milliner CB / Alabama - If & when healthy, I think Dee Has potential to be All-Pro.

13) Sheldon Richardson DT / Missouri - Do I really need to grade Idzik's personal pick ?

39) Geno Smith QB / WVU - Some draft guru's had him projected in the top 5 pick.

72) Brian Waters LT / Kent St. - He will compete with Dozier for RG next season.

141) Oday Aboushi LT / UVA - He's looking good making the switch to guard.

178) William Campbell DT / Michigan - He was hidden on our 53 for a year for some reason ?

215) Tommy Bohanon FB / Wake-Forest - T-Bo would run threw a wall for his team.

Actually not a bad draft either for building a foundation of a good team. I see 6 potential starters from this draft. Call me names Idzik haters, but I'm seeing two pretty decent drafts, and that does not include some of his better players we acquired in free agency or trades.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 14:26

Superman55 wrote:

We drafted a bunch of players who didn't help us at all...but they're really, really, really good because i'm a jets fan and they were drafted by the jets.

As Damien woody said last weekend, looking around the league at how amazing this rookie class looks only shows how poor the jets players are from this draft; either that, or we drafted all the slow kids.

As for Pryor, so far it looks like we drafted a box safety #18 with top 10 talent still on the board including the best safety in the draft, Deone Buchannon.  Pryor may turn into a cam Chancellor, I hope so...but right now, he looks like the safety version of Kyle Wilson.

55, Don't you ever get tired of talking out of both sides of your mouth ? You wanted Pryor & Amaro, and got your panties in a knot because we picked McDougle instead of Moncrief. No neither draft is perfect, but why beat a dead horse by constantly nagging about the past. If you think you are a better GM, might I suggest you update your resume and send it to Woody or Charlie Casserly for review. santa

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 15:51

The Wicker Man wrote:If you're looking at the '14 draft with the mindset of who we should've drafted, then you're
    going to be disappointed. I'm going to try and stay positive because I do like Pryor and Amaro
    a lot.

My favorite player from this class so far is IK. I hope the next regime continues to develop him.

I do hope Pryor and Amaro are used better in the future...but they haven't done anything to say they are this or that...that's not being a know it all, it's being results oriented. They've shown a few splashes, but not enough to even say they'll be long term starters.

Amaro had that monster drop vs the Pats on what would have been a 44 yard catch when he was running uncovered, and numerous other drops that remind one of training camp reports. That does worry me a little but is something he hopefully works through (though the Pats drop on the final drive reminded me so much of Hill's bad drop).

All these rookies will be coached by a new regime, which provides hope. But not one rookie from this class showed anything like Geno, Milliner, or Richardson did last year that givers you something to build on after their rookie campeign (think Coples and Wilkerson showed big time flashes as rookies)...this class showed nothing and will be at ground zero as second year players...

All the rookies need more time, but even the biggest optimistic has to wish they saw more flashes from 12 picks.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:04

cysporsche wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

As for Pryor, so far it looks like we drafted a box safety #18 with top 10 talent still on the board including the best safety in the draft, Deone Buchannon.  Pryor may turn into a cam Chancellor, I hope so...but right now, he looks like the safety version of Kyle Wilson.

55, Don't you ever get tired of talking out of both sides of your mouth ? You wanted Pryor & Amaro, and got your panties in a knot because we picked McDougle instead of Moncrief. No neither draft is perfect, but why beat a dead horse by constantly nagging about the past. If you think you are a better GM, might I suggest you update your resume and send it to Woody or Charlie Casserly for review. santa

Go Jets...Cyborg

Sack loved Stephen Hill when we drafted him, now he doesn't, guess he talks out both sides of his mouth.

The entire board loved the first two years of Sanchez, now they don't, guess the while board talks out of both sides of their mouth but Nick.

People change their mind over time...you should know that as someone who said Cam Newton is better thanTom Brady...do you still feel that is accurate or will your respond out of the other side of your mouth?

It's okay to admit being wrong. I was wrong about Geno, I even liked the Idzik hire at the time, I now feel 2 years later they aren't the jets future...just like Stephen Hill and Mark Sanchez aren't, even if I hoped they were like everyone else.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:09

Dozier won the rookie award? Why hasn't he replaced that penalty machine Colon then?

Kimberley A. Martin retweeted
    Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73 · 7h 7 hours ago
    Other #Jets awards: Pace (Byrd award), Sudfeld (Clifton Good Guy award), KWilson (Lyons award for charity), Dozier (Hampton award for rookie
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:13

football51 wrote:Dozier won the rookie award? Why hasn't he replaced that penalty machine Colon then?

Kimberley A. Martin retweeted
    Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73  ·  7h 7 hours ago
    Other #Jets awards: Pace (Byrd award), Sudfeld (Clifton Good Guy award), KWilson (Lyons award for charity), Dozier (Hampton award for rookie

Answer....... Rex he sicks with vets too long it is one of his biggest faws
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:24

The rookie award was not for on the field performance but for professionalism and carrying himself like a veteran
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:40

Sarge wrote:The rookie award was not for on the field performance but for professionalism and carrying himself like a veteran

Oh......... thanks Sarge.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 18:33

Superman55 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

Sack loved Stephen Hill when we drafted him, now he doesn't, guess he talks out both sides of his mouth.

The entire board loved the first two years of Sanchez, now they don't, guess the while board talks out of both sides of their mouth but Nick.

People change their mind over time...you should know that as someone who said Cam Newton is better thanTom Brady...do you still feel that is accurate or will your respond out of the other side of your mouth?

It's okay to admit being wrong.  I was wrong about Geno, I even liked the Idzik hire at the time, I now feel 2 years later they aren't the jets future...just like Stephen Hill and Mark Sanchez aren't, even if I hoped they were like everyone else.

55, For the last time because you are wearing me down, " You asked me if I was starting a new team today, would I pick Cam Newton or Tom Brady, and I chose Cam because he's 24 not pushing 40 with wobbly knees, and a hot wife wanting him to come home / palace with her and the Brady kids ! I'd choose Cam. He get's the whole Bank of America Stadium going with his enthusiasm & love of the game. I wish Jameis Winston had half the charisma ! santa

Go Jets...Cyborg
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 6:23

Looking at the 2013 Draft, I don't see Dee Milliner as a future All-Pro. He was picked so we could put someone there to replace Revis. He has shown flashes, but that's it. Some of you are wishing and hoping!
    Sheldon Richardson: All-Pro, the steal of the Draft/
    Geno Smith: (bust) In a year or 2 he'll come in as a back-up for another team and throw 2-3 TD's and posters will blame the GM for letting him go as they have done with Sanchez.
    Brian Walters: Average at best.
    Oday Aboushi: Will see after next season if he keeps progressing.
    William Campbell: Wasted pick.
    Tommy Bohannon: Looks good.

This is the JETS! We all hope and pray, except for Richardson, the 2013 draft sucked especially having 2 1st Rd and 1 high 2nd Rd picks!!
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 6:43

Looking at the 2014 Draft: Pryor: Not sure, Rex played him out of position and probably hurt his progress.
    Amaro: Have to wait till next year as I felt he was not utilized properly.
    McDougle: Injury prone. There was better talent at this pick/
    Saunders: Stupid Pick!
    Shag: IR, still there was better talent out there.
    Dozier: I like this pick****
    George: Scouting system Sucks!
    Dixon: Either Scouting or coaching Sucks!
    Enunwaa: IR, wait and see
    IK: Possibility.
    Boyd: Another pick thrown away!
    Reilley: Looks Good/

****: Our coaches stink! Do we actually try and get our backups to work there way into the starting lineup or do we just use them as Practice fodder!

I have no clue where some posters think Idzik has had 2 good drafts!
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 7:15

AFA2017 wrote:Looking at the 2014 Draft: Pryor: Not sure, Rex played him out of position and probably hurt his progress.
    Amaro: Have to wait till next year as I felt he was not utilized properly.
    McDougle: Injury prone. There was better talent at this pick/
    Saunders: Stupid Pick!
    Shag: IR, still there was better talent out there.
    Dozier: I like this pick****
    George: Scouting system Sucks!
    Dixon: Either Scouting or coaching Sucks!
    Enunwaa: IR, wait and see
    IK: Possibility.
    Boyd: Another pick thrown away!
    Reilley: Looks Good/

****: Our coaches stink! Do we actually try and get our backups to work there way into the starting lineup or do we just use them as Practice fodder!

I have no clue where some posters think Idzik has had 2 good drafts!

I think a lot of people look at Amaro, Pryor, and IK (maybe just me on IK) and see 3 possible players with McDougle and Evans conplete question marks...

I think it's possible some of these guys will be players, but when you see other rookies, think even guys like Landry, Moncreif, Buchannon, Cooks, Beckham, Buchannon, Dix, Fuller, Robinson, Lee, Evans, Adams, Watkins, Barr, Bryant, Bridgewater, Donald just look like stars, they have games they look like all pros...we didn't have a rookie even have an all pro play....not a single play that made you say, that's what he could become...that's a huge problem people are failing to admit. We didn't even get a "flash" from a rookie.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 7:20

cysporsche wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

It's okay to admit being wrong.  I was wrong about Geno, I even liked the Idzik hire at the time, I now feel 2 years later they aren't the jets future...just like Stephen Hill and Mark Sanchez aren't, even if I hoped they were like everyone else.

55, For the last time because you are wearing me down, " You asked me if I was starting a new team today, would I pick Cam Newton or Tom Brady, and I chose Cam because he's 24 not pushing 40 with wobbly knees, and a hot wife wanting him to come home / palace with her and the Brady kids ! I'd choose Cam. He get's the whole Bank of America Stadium going with his enthusiasm & love of the game. I wish Jameis Winston had half the charisma ! santa

Go Jets...Cyborg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's the other side of your mouth I was looking for. You said starting this year Cam would start passing Brady and I said Brady at 65 will be a better QB than Cam who still has horrible footwork and utilizes a simplified dumbed down offensive system.

As I said, Cy, it's okay to admit you're wrong. Let it out. Admit being wrong for the first time. At your age, this shouldn't be such a challenge. Wink
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 10:23

Guys slow down. Cam vs. Brady? Seriously? Why does that even matter? We are Jet fans, certainly not Pat fans and not Panther fans. I am not even sure what the point of that conversation is. They are not comparable players in age, experience or in skills. If you comnpared Cam Newton to Russell Wilson, that would make more sense.

But anyway, who cares. I think the point of this thread was to evaluate the draft picks for 100th time. And I did it too. I went through pick by pick and looked at each player. Here's my viewpoint now - last year's draft sucked. Not a single player made an impact. There are teams around the leauge with rookies making huge contributions. We have none. Basically, we drafted a part time starter at TE, and a part time starter at Safety that can't cover. We drafted a LB that plays well on special teams in the 7th round. That's a failed draft by any standard, and even more so when you drafted 12 players. And you know it is a failed draft because the Jets are 3-12. That says it all.

The great teams find players in every round. The Jets need to find playmakers on both sides of the ball. The front 3/4 is the strongest unit on the team by far. Outside of that, the Jets could use upgrades at LB, CB, S, OL, QB, WR. That's a lot of work to do.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 10:31

It's u fortunate we have that much work to do with 20 players selected in the last two drafts and last year's draft being so deep. Sad. Our next GM has his work cut out for him with a far shallower draft class.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024 - 8:55