Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+12
LIJETFAN
SackExchange
Old#15
Sarge
GratefulJet
jetsfanshanghai
Metjetgal
Blindsidebrick
football51
NickSINYC
hobson54
Superman55
16 posters

Reports: Raiders and Jets to be after Jim Harbough

Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Reports: Raiders and Jets to be after Jim Harbough - Page 3 Empty Re: Reports: Raiders and Jets to be after Jim Harbough

Post by Old#15 Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 7:29

Someone on ESPN this AM brought up an interesting point. They said that the longer the Michigan job stays open, the greater likelihood that they have an understanding in place with Harbaugh. Other major programs like Florida and Nebraska have filled their vacancies very quickly.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Reports: Raiders and Jets to be after Jim Harbough - Page 3 Empty Re: Reports: Raiders and Jets to be after Jim Harbough

Post by Superman55 Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 9:18

Old#15 wrote:Someone on ESPN this AM brought up an interesting point.  They said that the longer the Michigan job stays open, the greater likelihood that they have an understanding in place with Harbaugh.  Other major programs like Florida and Nebraska have filled their vacancies very quickly.

I think there are 4 likely places: Michigan, Raiders, Chicago Bears, and Miami Dolphins.

His heart is in Michigan or Chicago, and Miami and Oakland would be a healthy fall back his wife and family can live with.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 9:34

Old#15 wrote:Someone on ESPN this AM brought up an interesting point.  They said that the longer the Michigan job stays open, the greater likelihood that they have an understanding in place with Harbaugh.  Other major programs like Florida and Nebraska have filled their vacancies very quickly.

well michigan's search is basically on hold until harbaugh decides. he has always been choice 1. the thinking is that this could be the week (now that SF is eliminated) where harbaugh will make a decision, although it may not necessarily be announced right away.

to the best of my knowledge (and by my, i mean from reading well connected michigan insiders), no understanding is in place with harbaugh.

if harbaugh says no, then michigan would pretty quickly turn to its plan B candidates (miles, mora jr, stoops, and payton are the ones most mentioned), and you'd probably have an annoucement within a week (the AD told the players he expects to have a coach by xmas). if nothing happens within a week or so, there's a good chance michigan has landed harbaugh but are keeping it under wraps until the season ends. there's also talk michigan will pay the niners the cost of harbaugh's buyout, so perhaps he could be released from his contract sooner than the end of the season.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 9:49

Superman55 wrote:

I think there are 4 likely places:  Michigan, Raiders, Chicago Bears, and Miami Dolphins.

His heart is in Michigan or Chicago, and Miami and Oakland would be a healthy fall back his wife and family can live with.

From what I'm hearing from Flipper land, is that they are very happy with Coach Philbin. Yes Ross tried very hard to land Harbaugh for the Flipper's; however, things are different now.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 10:43

cysporsche wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

I think there are 4 likely places:  Michigan, Raiders, Chicago Bears, and Miami Dolphins.

From what I'm hearing from Flipper land, is that they are very happy with Coach Philbin. Yes Ross tried very hard to land Harbaugh for the Flipper's; however, things are different now.

Go Jets...Cyborg

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dave-hyde-dolphins-1215-20141214-column.html

Doesn't sound like Ross feels that way to me...

At the end of another Sunday that couldn't end soon enough, Steve Ross walked out of the loser's locker room, just as he has at Gillette Stadium all six times as Dolphins owner.

He buttoned his jacket against the cold, turned left down a hallway with his entourage, and shook his head when asked for a moment, saying only with a face set in stone, "No."

Video: Dave and Omar--Coach change is coming
    Dolphins get dominated in second half by Patriots in 41-13 loss.
    This isn't the time for talk anyhow. It's nearly the time for action. Ross is "on the verge" of ending the Joe Philbin era at season's end, a team source said, for all the obvious reasons that just played across another Dolphins Sunday.

With the playoffs on the line, with the season up for grabs, the Dolphins were embarrassed by New England, 41-13, in a game that that felt depressingly similar to the previous Sunday against Baltimore.

Philbin's team was run off the field both times. It was outscored 48-3 in the second halves, including Sunday when New England's 24 third-quarter points were the most it ever scored in that quarter — and the most the Dolphins have ever given up.

This isn't the kind of history Philbin, a good man you hoped would be a better coach, should be making by this third season. It's why unless something drastically changes he won't be back for a fourth.

This was worse for Philbin, losing these past two games in embarrassing fashion, than losing the final two games to knock the Dolphins out of the playoffs were last year.

Good, well-coached teams like Baltimore and New England get better as the season lengthens. By year three of this regime, the Dolphins are still finding ways to lose with shoddy tackling, dropped passes, penalties that kill drives and not competing at all in second halves.

"Progress," was Ross's stated demand for this season. And, to be fair, There are pockets of progress. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill, most importantly, has improved to being a good-not-great quarterback. That's led to a better offense under coordinator Bill Lazor.

Would Jim Harbaugh come to the Dolphins on Ross' second courtship? Would a defensive-minded coach (Rex Ryan?) be hired to allow Lazor to keep this improving offense to develop? Does a wild card like Auburn's Gus Malzahn have a pro itch?

These are the type of questions Ross must wrestle with in the coming days. There's no spectacular hurry to get in line for a coach. Harbaugh is coaching to the end of the season in San Francisco, too.

Yesterday's blowout should not have been a surprise to anyone with the way both teams have been playing. The coach and players are out of steam and momentum and will fail again in the last 2 games at home. Another dismal end to what was sort of a promising season early, but we should...

On one side of Gillette Stadium late Sunday afternoon, Bill Belichick was starting his news conference by saying, "It's always good to be able to walk up here after we've won an AFC East championship — so feeling good today. I think our guys really finished the game strong — 27-0 in the second half."

On the other side of the stadium, Philbin was saying, "I just told the team we got to play 60 minutes of football."

Cameron Wake said every Dolphins players, coach and executive is responsible for the Dolphins' 41-13 loss, and that it's not time to play "the blame game."
    Earlier in the year, they lost three games because they played 56 minutes. Now they're not getting even that much. They're getting a half. That's not enough. It's not even close.

"Embarrassing,'' receiver Mike Wallace said.

"Awful,'' center Mike Pouncey said.

All the old words are new again. That's where we are with another Dolphins season. It's Groundhog Year. Philbin will make the fifth Dolphins regime that Belichick and Tom Brady have helped run out of town.

It was another failed Dolphins leader, Bill Parcells, who said you are what your record says you are. Philbin's Dolphins are 7-7. They were 8-8 last year. They were 7-9 in his first season.

See the pattern? Have any reason for change? There's a window a coach has to effect his change on a team before the players tune out and the fans turn off and the end of this third year with the same results is that point with Philbin.

So the Patriots do what they always do. They win the AFC East and move on to the playoffs. "It started back in March,'' Brady said. "It's a lot of hard work that goes into it. I don't think you ever take winning for granted – I don't because I know how hard it is to win."

The Dolphins do what they often do, too. They'll start all over and hope they get it right this time. Ross stuffed his hands in his coat pockets as he walked out of Gillette as a loser again. That's the image to have. Another cold Dolphins winter is upon us.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 14:59

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 11:48