Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+25
NCgreen12
AFA2017
hobson54
GratefulJet
Superman55
HYATT™
danfran
JohnnyBaseball
McJet
soj
football51
LIJETFAN
WilliesDad
DonMaynard
cysporsche
Metjetgal
Old#15
Sarge
jetkwondo
skop
NickSINYC
Seaver
NYJETSDAN16
The Wicker Man
SackExchange
29 posters

Idzik's state of the team

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Idzik's state of the team - Page 16 Empty Re: Idzik's state of the team

Post by Superman55 Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 17:01

hobson54 wrote:looks like i picked a good time to be away from the board...   bom

not much to add to this (or other) threads since i can't say i've been following the jets the last month or so, but just thought i'd say hi to all and figured this thread was as good as any to chime in

Congrats again! And your favorite college team seems more likely to get Harbough than last time you were here. That's at least good news for you Smile
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 17:11

hobson54 wrote:looks like i picked a good time to be away from the board...   bom

not much to add to this (or other) threads since i can't say i've been following the jets the last month or so, but just thought i'd say hi to all and figured this thread was as good as any to chime in
    Welcome back just asking I have 6 weeks in the marriage pool how are thing going? lol!    just joking I hope the wedding went well and you had a great honeymoon
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 20:41

What's up Hobson!

Congratulations. And welcome back.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 22:41

With the way it is now? I wouldn't say it is much different now than with what you started with...

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    Doesn't appear Calvin Pryor will get more chances to play closer to LOS: Rex: "With the way our roster is now, you have to make adjustments"
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 11:04

[quote="Superman55"]With the way it is now?  I wouldn't say it is much different now than with what you started with...

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    Doesn't appear Calvin Pryor will get more chances to play closer to LOS: Rex: "With the way our roster is now, you have to make adjustments"[/quote

We'll know a lot more about Calvin Pryor at the end of next year than the end of this year.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 11:57

Welcome to the celibate club, Greg. You will be as chaste as a monk from now on.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 11:59

Blindsidebrick wrote:I think the point of this discussion, at least from my POV, is that the Jets have good enough talent to win, if only they had a QB of Brady's talent level. Speaking hypothetically, of course, if the Jets have Brady right now, even with the secondary the way it is, and with our current WR's, what is our record?

Probably closer to 7-3.

And John Idzik would look a lot better to fans than he does now. One player. One position. And we're not even talking about John Idzik. A 5th round draft pick who became the luck o' the Patriots is the difference. Don't believe me? Compare the rest of the Patriots roster to ours. Is there a big difference?
    I think the Jets are good enough to win with a QB of Brees' talent level, or Rivers'.

The team around the QB (CBs aside) is pretty decent. Good enough to win. A slightly above average QB could make this a 10-11 win team.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 13:06

Sack, I do agree that Brees would make this team better. But he would make almost every team in the league better. He's a HOF QB. Rivers, he runs hot and cold. I have never been a fan. Do I think the Jets would have a better record if he was the QB, probably. Do I think you can win a Super Bowl with him, not as sure.

I don't think this is a 10-11 win team based on talent. I think a better QB makes this an 7 or 8 win team this year given the schedule. In a year with an easier schedule, maybe. But there are too many holes on defense, special teams is average if that, and the OL needs to be upgraded in some spots.

Looking ahead - the two best players on the line are aging now. So they will start to decline. They can certainly still play and with better players around them, the line would be solid. The Jets need to upgrade QB, S, at least two CB spots ( even if you think Milliner can play, which I am not convinced of at this point) and if he can't three, OG in at least one spot and maybe two, and OLB with Pace aging as well. And there is no guarantee Harvin will be back, so we could be back to looking for a #1 receiver again. That's a lot of holes in the roster...

Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 13:17

FWIW....Rivers is playing with bad ribs.........that may explain his sudden downturn
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 15:01

Didn't we sign a guard that the Steelers cut who they just drafted in the 5th round this year? It happens you know.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 16:36

LIJETFAN wrote:Sack, I do agree that Brees would make this team better.  But he would make almost every team in the league better.  He's a HOF QB.  Rivers, he runs hot and cold.  I have never been a fan.  Do I think the Jets would have a better record if he was the QB, probably.  Do I think you can win a Super Bowl with him, not as sure.  

I don't think this is a 10-11 win team based on talent.  I think a better QB makes this an 7 or 8 win team this year given the schedule.  In a year with an easier schedule, maybe.  But there are too many holes on defense, special teams is average if that, and the OL needs to be upgraded in some spots.

Looking ahead - the two best players on the line are aging now.  So they will start to decline.  They can certainly still play and with better players around them, the line would be solid.  The Jets need to  upgrade QB, S, at least two CB spots ( even if you think Milliner can play, which I am not convinced of at this point) and if he can't three, OG in at least one spot and maybe two, and OLB with Pace aging as well.  And there is no guarantee Harvin will be back, so we could be back to looking for a #1 receiver again.  That's a lot of holes in the roster...

I don't think we need three CB's. We need one very solid CB (free agency?), and Milliner/McDougle look like potential 2/3. Maybe sign a cheaper CB to go along with a higher profile FA.

And I'd be shocked if we let Harvin go. I'm not saying we shouldn't address the WR position for a bigger, taller player. But WR isn't as bad of a position as it was. There are no excuses for ANY QB when you've got Decker, Harvin, and Jace Amaro to throw to, and Ivory and CJ taking handoffs behind you.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 16:44

LIJETFAN wrote:Sack, I do agree that Brees would make this team better.  But he would make almost every team in the league better.  He's a HOF QB.  Rivers, he runs hot and cold.  I have never been a fan.  Do I think the Jets would have a better record if he was the QB, probably.  Do I think you can win a Super Bowl with him, not as sure.  

I don't think this is a 10-11 win team based on talent.  I think a better QB makes this an 7 or 8 win team this year given the schedule.  In a year with an easier schedule, maybe.  But there are too many holes on defense, special teams is average if that, and the OL needs to be upgraded in some spots.

Looking ahead - the two best players on the line are aging now.  So they will start to decline.  They can certainly still play and with better players around them, the line would be solid.  The Jets need to  upgrade QB, S, at least two CB spots ( even if you think Milliner can play, which I am not convinced of at this point) and if he can't three, OG in at least one spot and maybe two, and OLB with Pace aging as well.  And there is no guarantee Harvin will be back, so we could be back to looking for a #1 receiver again.  That's a lot of holes in the roster...

I completely agree with this post; however, I agree on 7-8 wins based on our brutal schedule. I think Sack pointed out that no team in our division face a consecutive QB gauntlet like we did despite playing almost an identical schedule of teams.

I'd also add I like what I've seen from Aboushi. I think it's a night and day improvement from Winters. I'm not calling him Faneca, but Ido think he could be solid in a Brandon Moore kind of way.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 17:29

SackExchange wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:I think the point of this discussion, at least from my POV, is that the Jets have good enough talent to win, if only they had a QB of Brady's talent level. Speaking hypothetically, of course, if the Jets have Brady right now, even with the secondary the way it is, and with our current WR's, what is our record?

Probably closer to 7-3.

And John Idzik would look a lot better to fans than he does now. One player. One position. And we're not even talking about John Idzik. A 5th round draft pick who became the luck o' the Patriots is the difference. Don't believe me? Compare the rest of the Patriots roster to ours. Is there a big difference?
    I think the Jets are good enough to win with a QB of Brees' talent level, or Rivers'.

The team around the QB (CBs aside) is pretty decent. Good enough to win. A slightly above average QB could make this a 10-11 win team.

Matt Ryan QB of the Falcons would be a great fit for the Jets.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 0:04

I like Matt Ryan too, but why would the Falcons let him go? He's a pretty good player.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 10:43

teams with established QBs aren't letting them go.......in this climate of QB play, or the lack thereof, teams would be moronic to dump established starters. look how thin it's getting - ARZ recently gave an aging Carson Palmer big money - for a guy who has actually proven little on the field. Look at the Giants - they're screwed to some degree. Eli is killing them with turnovers the past 5 years, but what are their options? The Jets can't find one and will continue the search in the next draft.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 15:34

lol!

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 3h 3 hours ago
    Another GM would have traded up for better weather, duh RT @CoreyGriffinNBC: Important question: How does snow affect John Idzik's draft?

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 20 Nov 2014 - 16:15

I have come to the conclusion that this Idzik debate is going nowhere fast. Both sides are locked into their positions and no amount of debate will change anyone's opinion. I won't restate them because they have been posted in so many different threads already ad nauseam. 

Only time will give us the correct answer if Idzik get retained we see how his plan plays out. Even if he gets fired we see what his 2 draft classes look like in two years.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 20 Nov 2014 - 22:26

Jet brother's, trust me, Idzik will be back next season. Time to move on.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 7:28

NickSINYC wrote:I have come to the conclusion that this Idzik debate is going nowhere fast. Both sides are locked into their positions and no amount of debate will change anyone's opinion. I won't restate them because they have been posted in so many different threads already ad nauseam. 

Only time will give us the correct answer if Idzik get retained we see how his plan plays out. Even if he gets fired we see what his 2 draft classes look like in two years.

Will be interesting to see how quickly they pick up the new systems. Glad to see Aboushi looking good.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 14:34

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 4h 4 hours ago
    Again - Why it is silly to judge draft picks after 10 games. At this time last year, Aboushi was a "wasted pick," now likely 2015 starter

#NFLDraft - Crapshoot, when there isn't a "Luck" type prospect. Spare the tanking talk: http://wp.me/p4ulgP-6t5

How many players in that top ten are "meeting expectations?"

The GM with the billboards up to fire him found the best pick in this round RT @joeyader: @TurnOnTheJets Yikes. This draft sucked.

JohnnyBaseball
    JohnnyBaseball
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by JohnnyBaseball Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 16:26

Just as a matter of philosophy, what would you be willing to trade for a franchise QB? Assuming this is within the rules, would you trade our entire 2015 draft for Andrew Luck? 2015 and 2016? Even more picks? Is there a point at which the Colts would agree to trade him? Obviously these aren't realistic scenarios, but I just wonder how people think about this question.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 16:40

Speaking of Andrew Luck & the Colts, the Colts fans have to be the luckiest fans in the NFL. When they were done with Peyton Manning, they hand the ball to Andrew Luck. Geez....

I would trade all 7 picks for Andrew Luck, and NO the Colts would never trade him. The $money we still have under the cap could get us another CB, OLB & FS, and we have all the other pieces with a huge addition of Percy Harvin. The guy gives 100% on every play. He has a serious chip on his shoulder after the way the Seafish treated him. We are closer than most realize.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 17:03

JohnnyBaseball wrote:Just as a matter of philosophy, what would you be willing to trade for a franchise QB? Assuming this is within the rules, would you trade our entire 2015 draft for Andrew Luck? 2015 and 2016? Even more picks? Is there a point at which the Colts would agree to trade him? Obviously these aren't realistic scenarios, but I just wonder how people think about this question.

I'm a little hesitant to trade too much for an unproven college player. RGIII and Ryan Leaf were "can't miss" QB's in a lot of people's minds. Leaf was a catastrophe, and RGIII isn't living up to that trade.

With that said, Luck is a proven player. I'd give up five consecutive first round draft picks for him (2015-2019). And I wouldn't blink an eye doing it. Yes, the Jets need to fill some holes. But finding a FA CB or two and a pro bowl caliber guard are a lot easier to find than a franchise QB.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 22 Nov 2014 - 11:44

HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Sun 23 Nov 2014 - 0:25

cysporsche wrote:Speaking of Andrew Luck & the Colts, the Colts fans have to be the luckiest fans in the NFL. When they were done with Peyton Manning, they hand the ball to Andrew Luck. Geez....

I would trade all 7 picks for Andrew Luck, and NO the Colts would never trade him. The $money we still have under the cap could get us another CB, OLB & FS, and we have all the other pieces with a huge addition of Percy Harvin. The guy gives 100% on every play. He has a serious chip on his shoulder after the way the Seafish treated him. We are closer than most realize.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    No luckier than Packers fans. Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024 - 5:29