Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+2
SackExchange
Superman55
6 posters

Wait, NY paper says..."Jets clearly the best team in NYC"...

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Wait, NY paper says..."Jets clearly the best team in NYC"... Empty Wait, NY paper says..."Jets clearly the best team in NYC"...

Post by Superman55 Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 6:18

From today's Post:

Jets fans wondering if their team actually is any good can take solace in this: At least you don’t root for the Giants.
    For the first time since Christmas Eve in 2011, it is clear the Jets are the best football team in town.
    Was the 19-14 win over the Raiders sloppy? Absolutely. Do the Raiders stink? Of course. But if you watched both the Jets and Giants play this week, it is clear the Jets are New York’s only hope of having a playoff team.
    If you have any doubt, ask yourself this: If the two teams were stocks, which one would you buy?
    The Jets have the best defensive front seven east of Seattle, a two-pronged rushing attack that will give defensive coordinators fits, a suddenly confident quarterback and a few weapons for him to target.
    The Giants offense looks like a tourist in Times Square trying to find his way around town. Eli Manning looks lost, the offensive line can’t block and the rebuilt secondary was torn apart by the Lions in the 35-14 loss Monday night.
    Jets coach Rex Ryan can crow about being the big brother around here again.
    During his first two seasons here, Ryan’s Jets overshadowed the Giants with two runs to the AFC title game. Everything changed on Dec. 24, 2011, when Victor Cruz raced past Kyle Wilson, Antonio Cromartie and Eric Smith on his way to a 99-yard touchdown just before halftime that erased a 7-3 Jets lead on the way to a 29-14 Giants win, sending the two teams in vastly different directions.
    The Giants won the Super Bowl six weeks later while the Jets imploded. The following year the Jets got Tebow, went 6-10 then underwent radical changes. The Giants missed the playoffs, but at 9-7 still clearly were superior.
    Last year, even as the Giants started off 0-6, it was clear the Jets were a middling team and never a real threat to make the playoffs. The Jets ended up 8-8 and the Giants 7-9, but both teams were just mediocre.
    Now, the Jets have moved back ahead.
    This is not just based on Sunday’s win over a rookie quarterback. It’s based on evaluating the two rosters. The Jets clearly are better in several areas, especially up front.
    The defensive line comparison has done a complete 180-degree turn in the past few years. The Giants once set the standard for defensive line play during their Super Bowl runs, when they seemed to have endless pass rushers. The Jets have thrown first-round picks at defensive linemen for three straight years and now have the best run-stuffing group in the NFL. The Giants now have Jason Pierre-Paul and a bunch of guys. Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson lead a Jets group that looks unstoppable at times.
    The Jets offensive line pushed around the Raiders on Sunday and kept quarterback Geno Smith off the turf for most of the day. If this group wipes out the penalties, it could be one of the league’s best. The Giants offensive line could get Manning killed.
    At running back, the tandem of Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory looks like everything the Jets imagined in the offseason. Rashad Jennings had a nice preseason for the Giants, but behind that line it’s hard to imagine him putting up big numbers.
    Then, there’s the quarterback. Though no one can say Smith is better than Manning yet, it is fair to ask who would you rather have right now. Smith is 23 and looks more confident than he did all of his rookie year. Manning is 33 and looks as uncertain as he has since his rookie year. When Smith throws an interception, you say he’s learning. When Manning does, you think he’s done.
    Smith also can create plays with his legs, something Manning is incapable of. When a pass play breaks down, Smith still can get you a first down. Like their two teams, one quarterback’s stock is going up while the other’s is falling.
    About the only area where the Giants have an advantage is in the secondary, and even that did not look too good Monday night. I might owe Jets general manager John Idzik an apology if Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie continues to play like that.
    The two teams don’t meet on the field this regular season — the next matchup comes in 2015 — so this debate won’t be settled there. But we will see in four months whether there is playoff talk around here. If there is, you can bet Ryan and the Jets will be the ones doing the talking.
    Vick tricks no good
    Michael Vick played three plays in Sunday’s season opener for the Jets. That’s three too many.
    The Jets just need to let Vick be a backup quarterback, you know, the job they brought him here to do.
    He can mentor Geno Smith and relieve him if necessary this year. Why the Jets feel the need to get cute with him is baffling.
    Modal Trigger
    Michael Vick
    Photo: Paul J. Bereswill
    You could see this coming for months if you saw the Jets practice. They had plays planned for Vick, and they unveiled them Sunday. He was in for one basic read-option play (Smith can’t just handle that?) then lined up as a slot receiver on two plays near the goal line. On one of those plays, he took a pitch from Chris Johnson then threw an incomplete pass intended for Eric Decker.
    Chris Ivory averaged 10.2 yards per carry Sunday. Johnson averaged 5.2. Why not just give them the ball near the goal line instead of running a play straight out of gym class?
    “I get it, I know where you’re coming from on that, because after it doesn’t work you probably ask yourself the same question, as you, and me, and every Jets fan would,” coach Rex Ryan said. “But really, that’s not the case. We had some great preparation things. We felt really confident in the calls that we had, and it just unfortunately never worked out that way.”
    The last time the Jets tried to get cute with a backup quarterback we all remember how it worked out.
    They are heading down the same road with Vick. They should tear these pages out of the playbook now.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Wait, NY paper says..."Jets clearly the best team in NYC"... Empty Re: Wait, NY paper says..."Jets clearly the best team in NYC"...

Post by SackExchange Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 11:11

But the Giants won the Snoopy Bowl, a fact that was derisively used against the Jets last year.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Wait, NY paper says..."Jets clearly the best team in NYC"... Empty Re: Wait, NY paper says..."Jets clearly the best team in NYC"...

Post by Superman55 Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 11:14

There's an article on CBS this morning saying the Giants are still better than the Jets. Just havent had time to post it.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 11:24

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 11:28

SackExchange wrote:This one?

I like this notification feature.  Good idea by someone.

Yeah, that one.  I want to post this back on the fool's twitter page at the end of the season and ask him to stick to writing about kicking rocks, something he might know something about...
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 11:31

I love that this biased troll gets PAID to write stuff like this.

Not only are the Giants a better bet, but they are a MUCH better bet. And Jason Keidel is getting hammered for his homerism, especially on his twitter.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 11:41

This is the best response of it.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/09/new-york-jets-cbs-sadness/

Honestly, the guy should not have a job covering football. If you cannot keep your own prejudices out of it, you should not be covering it as a journalist. What's worse is CBS's New York editors allowing an article that is so anti-NY team, particularly when that team is in the conference covered by that network. I'm not saying they should be homers, but allowing such blind vitriol is irresponsible.
    Atljet60
    Atljet60
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Atljet60 Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 13:33

Instead of writing about how his favorite team has played lately, he chooses to belittle the co tenants who won a game. Exactly what does the "best team in NYC" mean when neither is projected to winning a title this year. "Oh yeah, we're bad but not as bad as you." It's sad. This is the kind of material that's appropriate for forums.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 14:06

One team ( Jets) are clearly moving in the right direction. The other team ( Giants ) are clearly moving in the wrong direction. There is no legitimate way to deny this.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 14:47

NickSINYC wrote:One team ( Jets) are clearly moving in the right direction. The other team ( Giants ) are clearly moving in the wrong direction. There is no legitimate way to deny this.

Absolutely. The Jets are younger and better.

But there really is no need to compare the Jets to the Giants. I am most concerned with comparing the Jets to the Pats, Dolphins, and Bills.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 15:00

SackExchange wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:One team ( Jets) are clearly moving in the right direction. The other team ( Giants ) are clearly moving in the wrong direction. There is no legitimate way to deny this.

But there really is no need to compare the Jets to the Giants. I am most concerned with comparing the Jets to the Pats, Dolphins, and Bills.

I honestly think you could insert Pats for Giants and the statement although closer is still true.

The fact we are moving in the right direction is a good thing no matter who we play
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 15:01

NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

I honestly think you could insert Pats for Giants and the statement although closer is still true.

The fact we are moving in the right direction is a good thing no matter who we play

Yes...but...

I think the Jets are on the upswing, and the Pats on the downswing. The difference is, in comparing the Jets to the Giants, the Jets are clearly better today. I'm not sure if the same is true in comparison to the Pats, but the gap is shrinking.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 15:19

SackExchange wrote:

Yes...but...

I think the Jets are on the upswing, and the Pats on the downswing. The difference is, in comparing the Jets to the Giants, the Jets are clearly better today. I'm not sure if the same is true in comparison to the Pats, but the gap is shrinking.

I totally agree
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 16:04

I'm thinking about taking Arizona with one of my eliminator picks. The Giants may be a 4 win team.
    JohnnyBaseball
    JohnnyBaseball
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by JohnnyBaseball Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 13:02

The Wicker Man wrote:I'm thinking about taking Arizona with one of my eliminator picks. The Giants may be a 4 win team.

I love your avatar. Up the irons!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024 - 1:53