Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+12
jetkwondo
Hunter07
soj
Sarge
football51
Jetski
Blindsidebrick
SackExchange
NickSINYC
The Wicker Man
cysporsche
Superman55
16 posters

Patriots at Jets - December 21, 2014

Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Patriots at Jets - December 21, 2014 - Page 4 Empty Re: Patriots at Jets - December 21, 2014

Post by Hunter07 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 17:05

I didn't get to see most of the game,  - but from what I've read, I'd say you guys outplayed the Pats. - It's not very often they're held to less than 20 points ... While I don't post on the Pats board any longer - I do check in on it from time to time ... talk about some unhappy campers - LOL. ... You want a laugh or two - read a few of the posts ...
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Patriots at Jets - December 21, 2014 - Page 4 Empty Re: Patriots at Jets - December 21, 2014

Post by NickSINYC Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 17:16

The Wicker Man wrote:
    Sarge wrote:Freeman at C and Williams at CB look like keepers
    Can Dalton take Colon's spot next year?

He weighs less than I prefer
    Jetski
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Jetski Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 17:27

The Wicker Man wrote:
    Jetski wrote:
    The Wicker Man wrote:If we had an average QB, we beat the Pats twice this year.

C'mon, that's nonsense.  Geno played a good game today, and in the previous Pats game Geno drove them downfield in the end to give them a shot at a game-winning FG.  I guess what you meant to say was that with decent FG unit OL play we might have beaten the Pats twice this year.  A blocked FG attempt then and now a tipped FG attempt.

Geno had zero chance on that sack, and on the pick his feet were taken out as he threw.
    Huh? Geno was terrible. He played well for the middle of the game. Sucked early and sucked late. He so inconsistent and indecisive. He takes sacks in the red zone, can't recognize a blitz....he's awful. 
    I stand by my statement....wait, I'll adjust it. If we had a slightly below average QB, we beat the Pats twice this year.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think that overall Geno actually did a great job of recognizing the blitz today and making correct reads - the announcers even talked about it numerous times during the game and pointed it out. Imo, many fans, yourself apparently included, have already given up on Geno and won't acknowledge any improvement. It's like, unless he has a pretty much perfect game he sucks, and that's not the way it works. Most QBs take time to develop, and if you see improvement in a guy like Geno you have to build on it, not expect that in his second year, with a lousy OL (at least pass-protection wise), he'll be great. I'm impressed with how Geno has bounced back from the awful games he had earlier in the season. I see him doing a much better job with his reads and progressions, and mostly making better decisions, and I am still hopeful that he can develop into a winning QB.
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 17:36

Cheers Jetski! J-E-T-S
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 17:52

I take a little objection to FOX during their halftime recap saying the Pats were "all over the Jets today."

That seems a serious distortion of the truth.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 18:31

Daaaam, I will miss Rex, I almost want to keep him. What if.....

I wish they would let Brian Billick come in a President of football operations / HC with Rex DC & Ast. HC & Marty as our OC. Billick makes all final football decisions. Idzik is still GM over the Scouting Dept. & Cap room.

That change, and no one gets hurt, maybe Idzik a little, but he'd like a little less stress. You hire Billick & keep everyone. After the draft re-evaluate Jeff Bauer who is really in charge of the Jets draft, not Bradway. I'm not a Bradway guy, so see ya after the draft.

Add those Coach changes plus a killer draft and a few free agents sprinkled in, and we start winning. santa

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 20:17

I think Rex is a great guy, a smart defensive mind, and a solid coach.

However, I don't think he can be the guy in charge, unless you have a veteran team on the verge of a title. He doesn't hold guys accountable, and he can't develop QBs and passing games. He's not the right guy for where the Jets are right now.
    jetkwondo
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by jetkwondo Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 20:26

Hunter07 wrote:I didn't get to see most of the game,  - but from what I've read, I'd say you guys outplayed the Pats. - It's not very often they're held to less than 20 points ... While I don't post on the Pats board any longer - I do check in on it from time to time ... talk about some unhappy campers - LOL. ... You want a laugh or two - read a few of the posts ...

Hey Hunter!

Sorry to hear that you no longer post on the Pats board as you were always very fair and classy in keeping it real when non Pats fans, like myself, visited there. I just want to say thanks for the great job you did/do moderating over there for so many years.

Today was bitter sweet when you consider Rex's situation... I loved that his team played their hearts out for him today.

Happy Holidays and enjoy watching your team in the playoffs once again!
    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hunter07 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 20:41

Thanks for the kind words Jetk - things have changed over there & not to my liking. ... I had about enough over a year ago & should probably have left then ...
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 20:43

SackExchange wrote:I think Rex is a great guy, a smart defensive mind, and a solid coach.

However, I don't think he can be the guy in charge, unless you have a veteran team on the verge of a title. He doesn't hold guys accountable, and he can't develop QBs and passing games. He's not the right guy for where the Jets are right now.

+1 Agree on all points.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 20:57

SackExchange wrote:I think Rex is a great guy, a smart defensive mind, and a solid coach.

I think in Atlanta, he'd look like a top 10 coach in the NFL...barring they add defensive players for him to work with.

If today showed you anything, he's a top 10-15 QB away from being elite, IMO.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 21:03

Superman55 wrote:

I think in Atlanta, he'd look like a top 10 coach in the NFL...barring they add defensive players for him to work with.

That's where I think he lands. He doesn't have to worry about a QB, and he could coach up that defense to be very good.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 21:07

Superman55 wrote:

Can't agree with this. With Rex you know you're going to get at least one dumb challenge a week, a handful of terrible (drive killers when we have the ball, drive extenders when the other team does) penalties, predictable blitz schemes on 3rd down, lack of halftime adjustments and poor clock management. Not to mention his annual inability to come out of the bye week prepared for the opponent. All in all, he may know what needs to be done, but doesn't appear to know how to achieve it (practice scheme, whatever). He's a good coach, but far, far from elite.

WRT the bolded statement, you actually mean the opposite of what you wrote, right? scratch
    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hunter07 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 21:10

"Today was bitter sweet when you consider Rex's situation"
    Ya' - it is/was a tough day for Rex, & the Jets damn near won. Your defense from what I've read played as well today as any game all year. ... IMO - Rex won't be out of work any longer than he wants to be, his phone is probably ringing right now. He could easily get back into coaching, as a DC or go into TV, - certainly has the personality for it.
    jetkwondo
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by jetkwondo Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 22:05

Hunter07 wrote:"Today was bitter sweet when you consider Rex's situation"
    Ya' - it is/was a tough day for Rex, & the Jets damn near won. Your defense from what I've read played as well today as any game all year. ... IMO - Rex won't be out of work any longer than he wants to be, his phone is probably ringing right now. He could easily get back into coaching, as a DC or go into TV, - certainly has the personality for it.  

Looking at BB's record, with the Browns, makes me realize that learning to be a HC doesn't always come naturally. Rex has his flaws but he has natural leadership qualities which were, even in a loss,demonstrated today,...

Also interesting, considering his stature today, how things were very unsettled with BB as a HC until he got his fluke QB injury substitution on the Mo Lewis hit...

Too bad the Jets don't have that guy sitting on the bench...

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 22:28

GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

Can't agree with this. With Rex you know you're going to get at least one dumb challenge a week, a handful of terrible (drive killers when we have the ball, drive extenders when the other team does) penalties, predictable blitz schemes on 3rd down, lack of halftime adjustments and poor clock management. Not to mention his annual inability to come out of the bye week prepared for the opponent. All in all, he may know what needs to be done, but doesn't appear to know how to achieve it (practice scheme, whatever). He's a good coach, but far, far from elite.

WRT the bolded statement, you actually mean the opposite of what you wrote, right? scratch
    His teams are undisciplined and play stupid football, but they go all out. Mike Smith has seemed stoic at times, so Rex would breathe new life into a pretty decent roster.

Now, he absolutely has his shortcomings. But two conference title games in his first two years is not a bad resume. And Atlanta is a much better fit than Miami or Oakland.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 22:35

SackExchange wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

His teams are undisciplined and play stupid football, but they go all out. Mike Smith has seemed stoic at times, so Rex would breathe new life into a pretty decent roster.

Now, he absolutely has his shortcomings. But two conference title games in his first two years is not a bad resume. And Atlanta is a much better fit than Miami or Oakland.

I don't disagree with the notion Rex can be successful in the right situation, or that Atlanta is a better situation for him. What I disagree with is the notion he is a top 10-15 QB away from being an elite HC. He's simply got too many warts to win that title.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 9:04

Kid looks like a player:

1. Marcus Williams, cornerback: The Houston Texans castoff, an undrafted rookie free agent, continued his surprising season, recording his first career interception. It should've been a game-changer, but the offense failed to capitalize on the short field -- typical. He also had three pass break-ups, equaling his total from his previous six starts. Williams hasn't garnered a lot of publicity, but he has emerged as one of the bright spots in this sorry season. He's their best cornerback. Good for him; it's also a commentary on the other corners.
    McJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by McJet Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 9:42

jetkwondo wrote:
    Hunter07 wrote:"Today was bitter sweet when you consider Rex's situation"

Looking at BB's record, with the Browns, makes me realize that learning to be a HC doesn't always come naturally. Rex has his flaws but he has natural leadership qualities which were, even in a loss,demonstrated today,...

Also interesting, considering his stature today,  how things were very unsettled with BB as a HC until he got his fluke QB injury substitution on the Mo Lewis hit...

Too bad the Jets don't have that guy sitting on the bench...

Yep, Belichick was 5-13 with the Pats and Bledsoe until the hit.

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 10:24

Old#15 wrote:Kid looks like a player:

1. Marcus Williams, cornerback: The Houston Texans castoff, an undrafted rookie free agent, continued his surprising season, recording his first career interception. It should've been a game-changer, but the offense failed to capitalize on the short field -- typical. He also had three pass break-ups, equaling his total from his previous six starts. Williams hasn't garnered a lot of publicity, but he has emerged as one of the bright spots in this sorry season. He's their best cornerback. Good for him; it's also a commentary on the other corners.

+1 Agree. # 22 Williams CB is playing better in each game he plays. Watch his recovery speed, it's incredibly fast. Another good pick-up by Idzik.

Not one TV report from ESPN or CBS gave the Jets credit for playing the Patriots tough to the end. We physically beat the Patriots in almost every category except victory.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 11:25

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 11:41

Old#15 wrote:Damn, Sheldon is a beast!

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/B5eMeePCAAAIClZ.mp4

That is so awesome!
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 11:45

I guess Joe C is not a big fan of Rex, it is funny though because Rex kinda hangs his hat on making life tough for Brady:

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets

One last time: Rex vs. Brady means nothing. Jets vs. Pats does. Freakin' Joe Philbin has more wins against NE than Rex in past 4 years

Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 12:54

Pats showed their ass Sunday....confirmed for me they are once again regular season bullies and postseason chumps. Not championship caliber. OL too weak. Defense too soft.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 15:59

Superman55 wrote:

Not really 55. I think you had posted how Atlanta would work to keep their whole offensive staff in place before hiring Ryan. How many"top 10 coaches" need a ready made staff in place to excel? If he goes to Atlanta under those conditions, they will be paying him as a HC to be their DC. I agree with Sack's assessment.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 2 May 2024 - 21:26