Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+7
Blindsidebrick
JohnnyBaseball
SackExchange
football51
danfran
The Wicker Man
Metjetgal
11 posters

Good Article on Idzik

Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Good Article on Idzik Empty Good Article on Idzik

Post by Metjetgal Tue 7 Oct 2014 - 17:57

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/new-york-jets-running-backs/

You will have to copy and paste, but this was an article that could give us at least a little hope.

The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Good Article on Idzik Empty Re: Good Article on Idzik

Post by The Wicker Man Tue 7 Oct 2014 - 18:49

Good read.
    danfran
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by danfran Tue 7 Oct 2014 - 19:18

It's fair and objective. I wasn't aware of that cap rollover thing, that's pretty interesting. At least (if they want) they will have money for massive upgrades this year to go with the probable top 5 pick.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 11 Oct 2014 - 11:12

Another from today's espnnewyork.com mail bag.

Greg Watson @Greg_Watson5
    Follow
    @RichCimini if the Jets don't turn it around, what are the chances that Rex and Idzik both get fired? #JetsMail
    10:08 AM - 10 Oct 2014

@RichCimini: Can't see that happening, Greg, and you know why? Because it would mean Woody Johnson admitting it was a mistake to hire Idzik, and billionaires don't like to admit when they're wrong. A general manager doesn't get canned after only two years unless there are extenuating circumstances. Make no mistake, Johnson put his trust in Idzik when he hired him. Look at Johnson's track record: Terry Bradway got five years and Mike Tannenbaum got seven. If the team continues to go south, it'll be, "Adios, Rex," and Idzik will get to hire his own coach, re-starting his own job clock.

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 13 Oct 2014 - 13:10

I had seen this article previously. It's certainly a positive take on Idzik, perhaps a little too positive. But it also shows why the fan base needs to demonstrate some level of patience, rather than its usual armchair GMing.
    JohnnyBaseball
    JohnnyBaseball
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by JohnnyBaseball Mon 13 Oct 2014 - 15:30

I'm a believer in continuity within an organization. I don't think that successful organizations, in football or elsewhere, fire their executives every three to five years. I'm not a believer in the idea that the coaches should be fired as punishment, so to speak, for a poor year. Ownership needs to assess whether they believe in the people they've hired. If they do, then they should stick with them, no matter what the record says and no matter what the media say. If they don't, they should bring in new people, no matter what the record says and no matter what the media say.

I'm a fan, I'm extremely reactionary, and they shouldn't be relying on my input at all when making personnel decisions.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 13 Oct 2014 - 16:31

JohnnyBaseball wrote:I'm a believer in continuity within an organization. I don't think that successful organizations, in football or elsewhere, fire their executives every three to five years. I'm not a believer in the idea that the coaches should be fired as punishment, so to speak, for a poor year. Ownership needs to assess whether they believe in the people they've hired. If they do, then they should stick with them, no matter what the record says and no matter what the media say. If they don't, they should bring in new people, no matter what the record says and no matter what the media say.

I'm a fan, I'm extremely reactionary, and they shouldn't be relying on my input at all when making personnel decisions.

Great post. Continuity is important. You don't bail out at the first sign of danger. However, Rex has been here six years, and the arrow is pointing the wrong direction right now. The team looks unprepared, undisciplined, and penalty prone. The culture might need a shakeup, and it starts by bringing in a new coaching staff, IMO. Idzik needs to bring in his guys. And unfortunately, that's gonna set us back a little.

On a positive note though, we've got some foundation players to build off of. Richardson, Wilkerson, Davis, Pryor, Mangold, Brick, Decker, Amaro, and Ivory is a solid foundation.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 13 Oct 2014 - 18:48

Good post Johnny Baseball. I think we all want continuity, and I agree completely. I think patience is a really good thing. That being said, when it is obvious that something isn't working out, better to end the experiment early then to have it drag on and on only to have wasted years figuring out what you alreadly knew, all in the interest of exercising patience.

Idzik deserves more time, but his track record so far is very mixed, particularly with personnel. The draft especially. In my opinion he should be on a very short lease. If his draft record doesn't improve dramatically, his job should be on the line. He said the draft would be this team's lifeline. Well, if that is your strategy, you need to get it right. If you get it wrong, find someone that can get it right.

Rex has been here a long time and early on had a great run with better personnel. I think if you give Rex a team with talent, he can win a championship. He's a good coach. But, he is not the guy to rebuild a team. We are seeing that now. I think Rex needs a veteran team. Give him that, and he can win. A new coach is definitely on the horizon here barring some historic turnaround. And this is not all Rex's fault. Everyone knows that. Idzik owns this too. But, Rex's time here might just be done.

The QB - I still don't believe this mess is entirely his fault. But at some point, you need to turn the corner. I think he gets a few more weeks to prove that he can be a quality NFL starter. If he doesn't turn the corner by then and the light bulb doesn't go on, the new coach will be picking a new QB next year. And we are starting over again.

The personnel department - there is one constant over the past, I don't know how many years, Terry Bradway. Now I have no idea whether he was pounding the table for players that are turning out to be great pros, or whether these players were his picks. That needs to be looked at very carefully. Same with the scouts. That is the organization that really needs to get it right, because you don't get partial credit in the NFL. You either win or you lose. And right now, the Jets personnel are 1-5 and headed for a very bad season.

So, my assessment is: New HC and coaching staff, very likely a new QB, and some changes in the personnel department would be a good start to rebuilding this franchise. And the Jets can rebuild in a hurry because as other mentioned there are pieces to build on. Not a lot of them, but there are a few.

soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Mon 13 Oct 2014 - 19:44

Didn't he rebuild the personnel department already? he has had 20 picks and of that 20 how many of them are contributing weekly and making plays... 2 maybe three. I have seen enough pro QBs that have come into the league to know Geno is not the answer even if he had two good WR he still is inaccurate, to often fails to find the open receiver (when there is one, sigh) because he can not get through his progressions, he has no internal clock in his head at all; thus the sacks while he continues to hold the ball to long, etc. etc.,

If our future is predicate on the past two drafts then its bleak... just saying.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 13 Oct 2014 - 22:32

LIJETFAN wrote:Good post Johnny Baseball.  I think we all want continuity, and I agree completely.  I think patience is a really good thing.  That being said, when it is obvious that something isn't working out, better to end the experiment early then to have it drag on and on only to have wasted years figuring out what you alreadly knew, all in the interest of exercising patience.  

Idzik deserves more time, but his track record so far is very mixed, particularly with personnel.  The draft especially.  In my opinion he should be on a very short lease.  If his draft record doesn't improve dramatically, his job should be on the line.  He said the draft would be this team's lifeline.  Well, if that is your strategy, you need to get it right.  If you get it wrong, find someone that can get it right.  

Rex has been here a long time and early on had a great run with better personnel.  I think if you give Rex a team with talent, he can win a championship.  He's a good coach.  But, he is not the guy to rebuild a team.  We are seeing that now.  I think Rex needs a veteran team.  Give him that, and he can win.  A new coach is definitely on the horizon here barring some historic turnaround.  And this is not all Rex's fault.  Everyone knows that.  Idzik owns this too.  But, Rex's time here might just be done.  

The QB - I still don't believe this mess is entirely his fault.   But at some point, you need to turn the corner.  I think he gets a few more weeks to prove that he can be a quality NFL starter.  If he doesn't turn the corner by then and the light bulb doesn't go on, the new coach will be picking a new QB next year.  And we are starting over again.

The personnel department - there is one constant over the past, I don't know how many years, Terry Bradway.  Now I have no idea whether he was pounding the table for players that are turning out to be great pros, or whether these players were his picks.  That needs to be looked at very carefully.  Same with the scouts.  That is the organization that really needs to get it right, because you don't get partial credit in the NFL.  You either win or you lose.  And right now, the Jets personnel are 1-5 and headed for a very bad season.  

So, my assessment is:  New HC and coaching staff, very likely a new QB, and some changes in the personnel department would be a good start to rebuilding this franchise.  And the Jets can rebuild in a hurry because as other mentioned there are pieces to build on.  Not a lot of them, but there are a few.    

by "changes in the personnel department," would that be Bradway? Because that would be a major shakeup and even change our draft direction and strategies.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 14 Oct 2014 - 5:23

Superman55 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:Good post Johnny Baseball.  I think we all want continuity, and I agree completely.  I think patience is a really good thing.  That being said, when it is obvious that something isn't working out, better to end the experiment early then to have it drag on and on only to have wasted years figuring out what you alreadly knew, all in the interest of exercising patience.  

Idzik deserves more time, but his track record so far is very mixed, particularly with personnel.  The draft especially.  In my opinion he should be on a very short lease.  If his draft record doesn't improve dramatically, his job should be on the line.  He said the draft would be this team's lifeline.  Well, if that is your strategy, you need to get it right.  If you get it wrong, find someone that can get it right.  

Rex has been here a long time and early on had a great run with better personnel.  I think if you give Rex a team with talent, he can win a championship.  He's a good coach.  But, he is not the guy to rebuild a team.  We are seeing that now.  I think Rex needs a veteran team.  Give him that, and he can win.  A new coach is definitely on the horizon here barring some historic turnaround.  And this is not all Rex's fault.  Everyone knows that.  Idzik owns this too.  But, Rex's time here might just be done.  

The QB - I still don't believe this mess is entirely his fault.   But at some point, you need to turn the corner.  I think he gets a few more weeks to prove that he can be a quality NFL starter.  If he doesn't turn the corner by then and the light bulb doesn't go on, the new coach will be picking a new QB next year.  And we are starting over again.

The personnel department - there is one constant over the past, I don't know how many years, Terry Bradway.  Now I have no idea whether he was pounding the table for players that are turning out to be great pros, or whether these players were his picks.  That needs to be looked at very carefully.  Same with the scouts.  That is the organization that really needs to get it right, because you don't get partial credit in the NFL.  You either win or you lose.  And right now, the Jets personnel are 1-5 and headed for a very bad season.  

So, my assessment is:  New HC and coaching staff, very likely a new QB, and some changes in the personnel department would be a good start to rebuilding this franchise.  And the Jets can rebuild in a hurry because as other mentioned there are pieces to build on.  Not a lot of them, but there are a few.    

by "changes in the personnel department," would that be Bradway?  Because that would be a major shakeup and even change our draft direction and strategies.  
    I have never been a big fan of Bradway and am truly surprised he has lasted this long
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 14 Oct 2014 - 5:42

Hey Nick, i'm with you, but I'm sure he's making a living off a resume that includes Revis, Brick, Mangold, Harris, etc, etc. I do like the Richardson and Amaro picks too, hard to say who had what say in what picks, but I do think we need to refresh our scouting department.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024 - 4:37