Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+20
danfran
Superman55
Seaver
GratefulJet
soj
DonMaynard
Old#15
The Wicker Man
NCgreen12
HYATT™
cysporsche
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
Sarge
lnap23
SackExchange
skop
LIJETFAN
hobson54
24 posters

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 7 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by NickSINYC Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 19:16

cysporsche wrote:
    danfran wrote:Was looking over a story regarding the teams ahead of the Jets and their likelihood of picking a QB. If Oakland is happy with Carr, then they wouldn't draft a QB. Ditto Jacksonville with Bortles. Tampa IS looking for a QB and so is Tennessee. Now any of those teams could choose to trade out of their pick, but basically if the Jets beat Tennessee then they aren't getting Mariota or Winston without a trade-up. Losing to Tennessee would probably give then a shot at Winston. Now whether or not you are happy about his off the field issues, I'm thinking the Jets couldn't pass him up.

One problem, Rex is going win the next 3 in a row as his exit interview !

Go Jets...Cyborg

That's why we should fire him tonight and send the team in to turmoil. Meaningless wins just hurt us
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 7 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by Superman55 Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 19:56

NickSINYC wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:
    danfran wrote:Was looking over a story regarding the teams ahead of the Jets and their likelihood of picking a QB. If Oakland is happy with Carr, then they wouldn't draft a QB. Ditto Jacksonville with Bortles. Tampa IS looking for a QB and so is Tennessee. Now any of those teams could choose to trade out of their pick, but basically if the Jets beat Tennessee then they aren't getting Mariota or Winston without a trade-up. Losing to Tennessee would probably give then a shot at Winston. Now whether or not you are happy about his off the field issues, I'm thinking the Jets couldn't pass him up.

One problem, Rex is going win the next 3 in a row as his exit interview !

Go Jets...Cyborg

Im not real worried about it. Rex is known for being great against rookie QBs...not sure how closely you watched today's game, but did Bridgewater look too scared against Rex today? Mettenberger didnt look great today; but one thing he isn't, is scared of anyone.

One problem in that game, is the Titans may be worse across skill positions than us, which does scare me a little. Mettenberger doesnt have much to work with.

That's why we should fire him tonight and send the team in to turmoil. Meaningless wins just hurt us
    McJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by McJet Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 20:00

Seaver wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:
    Old#15 wrote:The young veteran QB that I think can be had on the cheap is Kirk Cousins of the Redskins.  He was all the rage here in DC until they started him when RG3 first got injured this year.  He flunked the audition, but has a lot of the qualities that can be built on.  I think long term a very good #2.

We need a great starting QB, not a good back-up. Cousins is not even in the Redskin conversations anymore since he crashed & burned as a starter.

Go Jets...Cyborg

true on both accounts........BUT.......there is no Andrew Luck in this draft either.  Burning that top 5 pick on a QB could be fool's gold.

+1
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 11:58

GratefulJet wrote:If we go QB with a round 3-4 pick in 2015, one guy we will be looking at is Shane Carden, ECU:

Shane Carden highlights vs NC

He's a bit small, throws the ball off his back foot too much, kind of floats it rather than drives it, and he's got a heck of a  group of receivers to throw to: Justin Hardy, Trevon Brown, Jimmy Williams, Bryce Williams, Isiah Jones....there's a lot of talent there.

well, if you like Carden.......then take a look at Taylor Heinicke-ODU.....has size issue (6'1") but doesn't throw off back foot.......good mechanics.... Word is Carden was chosen over Heinicke for the SEnior Bowl because they are similar - Carden about an inch taller......so Heinicke accepted invite to East/West Shrine game. I'm very curious to see how scouts grade him. I've heard those that have seen him so far say they either love him and football IQ or they don't at all because of size.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 15:06

I wonder if the Redskins would trade RG3 for a 2nd round pick ? With his NFL experience and a serious chip on his shoulder, he might be better than Mariota & Winston ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 15:52

cysporsche wrote:I wonder if the Redskins would trade RG3 for a 2nd round pick ? With his NFL experience and a serious chip on his shoulder, he might be better than Mariota & Winston ?

Go Jets...Cyborg

I bet a 2nd rd pick would get him, i wouldnt give up more than 3rd though...
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 16:18

cysporsche wrote:I wonder if the Redskins would trade RG3 for a 2nd round pick ? With his NFL experience and a serious chip on his shoulder, he might be better than Mariota & Winston ?

Go Jets...Cyborg

Cy, RG3 is damaged goods both physically and mentally. Right now he may be even worse than Geno, who at least has his health so I'm not so sure of even that! Apparently he is not very popular amongst his teammates either. So, there is an awful lot not to like there.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 18:10

Old#15 wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

Cy, RG3 is damaged goods both physically and mentally.  Right now he may be even worse than Geno, who at least has his health so I'm not so sure of even that!  Apparently he is not very popular amongst his teammates either.  So, there is an awful lot not to like there.

Low football IQ, poor footwork, and a bad work ethic...other than that, RG3 is fine. #iliveinDC
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 9:56

Sometimes only a change of scenery can revive a players mojo. RG3 is being crucified by the Redskin faithful, unfortunately Colt McCoy & Cousins also suck, so Dan Snyder might keep RG3 around hoping he can turn things around.

RG3 failures might help the Jets going forward, if we try to trade up to acquire the 1st pick. I doubt any team would ever give up 3 #1 picks & a 2nd rounder for any player going forward. Look what that trade has done to the Skins organization. We can't make the same mistake.

I thought it was funny that Jeff Fisher / Rams sent out the 6 players they acquired from the Skins in the mega trade as team captains for the coin flip.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 11:07

problem with RG3 is he isn't a pocket passer and that is what succeeds in the NFL. Kapernick is trying to to do more of it this year and he's not doing it well so his performance has sucked. RG3 has not demonstrated the ability to actually'quarterback' from the pocket - he's a project just as these kids coming out are going to be.

I wouldn't give up anything of substance for RG3
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 16:02

Joe Caporoso retweeted
    Connor Rogers @CRogers_NFL · 20h 20 hours ago
    A lot of Jets fans asking me about Brett Hundley. Believe me, if you struggle watching Geno, you don't have the patience for Hundley.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 17:23

football51 wrote: Joe Caporoso retweeted
    Connor Rogers @CRogers_NFL · 20h 20 hours ago
    A lot of Jets fans asking me about Brett Hundley. Believe me, if you struggle watching Geno, you don't have the patience for Hundley.

I would absolutley hate to see Hundley as a Jet. PLEASE NO!!
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 18:03

Heres a guy i'd love to see in Jet Green and white next season. JUST SAYIN'

Just listen to how humble and TEAM 1st oriented the guy is. WE MUST DO ANYTHING TO GET HIM!!

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 19:49

Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers · 11m 11 minutes ago
    "He has an uncanny ability to know what's around him and get himself out of trouble. He's the reason they're undefeated." - Scout on Winston

Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers · 11m 11 minutes ago
    That last scout quote was courtesy of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 12:20

With both Mariota & Winston being tossed around as flawed QB's, let's draft a sure thing in Amari Cooper WR.

An average QB will look great with Cooper, Harvin, Decker & Kerley as weapons !

Draft Cooper with our top pick, then the best OL left on the big board, or Bryce Petty QB.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 12:30

MY QB solution for next year....

Draft Mariota if available with the 1st rd pick... IF he is gone get WR Cooper,

If we draft Cooper, Grab Bryce Petty or Shane Carden later in the draft...

Sign Locker or Bradford If released)... Hope they stay healthy and let the rookie sit behind one of them for a season. If Locker or Bradford perform like expectations for them have been great. As long as they stay healthy and play at a high level, I am ok with Mariota, Petty or Carden riding the bench till ready to takeover or become trade bait...

Finding a QB is mission # 1.... Watching Aaron Rogers play made me realize our OL is not that bad.... Cause GB's is not good but Rogers gets the ball out so fast... He makes his reads and it's out... Geno and Vick don't make there reads fast enough. It made me realize why Pennington was so good when he was healthy, weak arm and all, he read the D and got the right protection calls at the line. He went through his progressions quick and he got rid of the ball. I feel like Mariota, Petty and Carden all do that and are athletic enough to move out of the pocket when necessary.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 13:22

[quote="lnap23"]MY QB solution for next year....

Draft Mariota if available with the 1st rd pick... IF he is gone get WR Cooper,

If we draft Cooper, Grab Bryce Petty or Shane Carden later in the draft...

Sign Locker or Bradford If released)... Hope they stay healthy and let the rookie sit behind one of them for a season. If Locker or Bradford perform like expectations for them have been great. As long as they stay healthy and play at a high level, I am ok with Mariota, Petty or Carden riding the bench till ready to takeover or become trade bait...  

Finding a QB is mission # 1....  Watching Aaron Rogers play made me realize our OL is not that bad.... Cause GB's is not good but Rogers gets the ball out so fast... He makes his reads and it's out... Geno and Vick don't make there reads fast enough.  It made me realize why Pennington was so good when he was healthy, weak arm and all, he read the D and got the right protection calls at the line. He went through his progressions quick and he got rid of the ball.  I feel like Mariota, Petty and Carden all do that and are athletic enough to move out of the pocket when necessary.[/quote]

careful.....that may be the problem with these kids adjusting to NFL. You really want the guy that has the ability to run, but doesn't panic and flee the pocket. Saw a typical instancde on Sunday, Geno couldn't find first read open and he took off.....only to come woefully short of the first down...result a punt. I have to see MORE to believe Mariota and Petty can be pocket passers. I need to see more accuracy/mechanics out of Carden. The thing is, we aren't even seeing STANDARD mechanics out of Mariota/Petty yet to even comment how good/bad they might be..........they are wildcards.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 18:15

So, we're just going to find our franchise qb in the 2015 draft. It's that easy............

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/12/10/bill-parcells-on-kaepernick-i-dont-think-he-has-a-real-good-supporting-cast/
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 21:48

Seaver wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:If we go QB with a round 3-4 pick in 2015, one guy we will be looking at is Shane Carden, ECU:

He's a bit small, throws the ball off his back foot too much, kind of floats it rather than drives it, and he's got a heck of a  group of receivers to throw to: Justin Hardy, Trevon Brown, Jimmy Williams, Bryce Williams, Isiah Jones....there's a lot of talent there.

well, if you like Carden.......then take a look at Taylor Heinicke-ODU.....has size issue (6'1") but doesn't throw off back foot.......good mechanics....  Word is Carden was chosen over Heinicke for the SEnior Bowl because they are similar - Carden about an inch taller......so Heinicke accepted invite to East/West Shrine game.  I'm very curious to see how scouts grade him.  I've heard those that have seen him so far say they either love him and football IQ or they don't at all because of size.

The YouTube video of his 730 yard game is painful to watch, with all the editing. Really hard to evaluate him because they cut away mid-play so much. Not much else on the web that I can find to break down his skills, but can't believe he'd be any worse than what we've got now, so I'd probably be fine with using a 3rd-4th on him. He's probably comparable to Carden, from what I saw.

Really is too bad we didn't spend one of our 2014 4ths or our 5th on Mettenberger, who went to Tenn with the 2nd pick of the 6th round. 2 of those 4 picks even aren't on the team (Jalen Saunders and Jeremiah George). Jared Abbredaris also went in the 6th. I know he's out for the year with an injury, but I would have so preferred him over Saunders or Evans (or Enunwa). All that kid did in college was make plays. Heck of a pass catcher. What a terrible draft for us. There was a lot of talent out there in the mid rounds--we seem to have come away with none of it.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 11 Dec 2014 - 16:41

Good read on why it's a lot easier for a fan to say "go get a franchise qb" then it is in reality.

http://www.footballperspective.com/quarterback-musical-chairs/
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Thu 11 Dec 2014 - 17:53

GratefulJet wrote:
    Seaver wrote:

well, if you like Carden.......then take a look at Taylor Heinicke-ODU.....has size issue (6'1") but doesn't throw off back foot.......good mechanics....  Word is Carden was chosen over Heinicke for the SEnior Bowl because they are similar - Carden about an inch taller......so Heinicke accepted invite to East/West Shrine game.  I'm very curious to see how scouts grade him.  I've heard those that have seen him so far say they either love him and football IQ or they don't at all because of size.

The YouTube video of his 730 yard game is painful to watch, with all the editing. Really hard to evaluate him because they cut away mid-play so much. Not much else on the web that I can find to break down his skills, but can't believe he'd be any worse than what we've got now, so I'd probably be fine with using a 3rd-4th on him. He's probably comparable to Carden, from what I saw.

Really is too bad we didn't spend one of our 2014 4ths or our 5th on Mettenberger, who went to Tenn with the 2nd pick of the 6th round. 2 of those 4 picks even aren't on the team (Jalen Saunders and Jeremiah George). Jared Abbredaris also went in the 6th. I know he's out for the year with an injury, but I would have so preferred him over Saunders or Evans (or Enunwa). All that kid did in college was make plays. Heck of a pass catcher. What a terrible draft for us. There was a lot of talent out there in the mid rounds--we seem to have come away with none of it.

at the moment he is pegged to be drafted in rd 7.........can't really argue that...I'd be thrilled to just see the kid drafted. He has a lot to prove. He piled up stats against a lot of FCS teams in his career...this year played an FBS schedule. His performance translated well, though as one would expect the numbers weren't as gaudy. He's a project at best today - scouts will further evaluate in the coming months and I hope he catches a few eyes. I watched/listened to most every game he played.

Strengths: High football IQ. Great feel in the pocket. Mobile, but works through his progressions quickly so he isn't running unless it's the last option.

Weaknesses: Size is biggest. He's 6'1" at best.....so there is no way he gets drafted until late. Arm strength somewhat of an issue - he doesn't have the cannon arm scouts love. It's NFL adequate.

not making any predictions he is going to amount to anything, but from all the games I've watched he has the mind you want to see on an NFL field.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 14 Dec 2014 - 9:55

football51 wrote:So, we're just going to find our franchise qb in the 2015 draft. It's that easy............

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/12/10/bill-parcells-on-kaepernick-i-dont-think-he-has-a-real-good-supporting-cast/

It's about surrounding the guy with the right environment so that he can develop his potential. Just like it was for Peyton, Andrew Luck, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, TOm Brady and many other succesful QB's.

Though some QB's just don't understand that in order to grow, their ego must be left at the door, ala Ryan Leaf, Jeff George and most recently Geno Smith.
    Marcus mariota has every intangible to be a very succesful QB. Surround him with a coaching staff that won't coddle him yet has the balls to let him grow. He's humble enough to relearn things he already knows. Give him weapons the Geno unfortunatley couldn't take advantage of.
    It's more than just 1 player, but it all starts with the most important player on the field and in that locker room.
    Marcus won't miss a meeting because of a "MOVIE". He won't curse at a hometown fan. He won't go on Jay-Z celebrity parties after a season of turmoil.

Marcus gets it and it will spread throughout the locker room. He is a real leader.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 14:15

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    football51 wrote:So, we're just going to find our franchise qb in the 2015 draft. It's that easy............

It's about surrounding the guy with the right environment so that he can develop his potential.  Just like it was for Peyton, Andrew Luck, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, TOm Brady and many other succesful QB's.

Though some QB's just don't understand that in order to grow, their ego must be left at the door, ala Ryan Leaf, Jeff George and most recently Geno Smith.  
    Marcus mariota has every intangible to be a very succesful QB.  Surround him with a coaching staff that won't coddle him yet has the balls to let him grow.  He's humble enough to relearn things he already knows.  Give him weapons the Geno unfortunatley couldn't take advantage of.  
    It's more than just 1 player, but it all starts with the most important player on the field and in that locker room.
    Marcus won't miss a meeting because of a "MOVIE".  He won't curse at a hometown fan.  He won't go on Jay-Z celebrity parties after a season of turmoil.

Marcus gets it and it will spread throughout the locker room.  He is a real leader.

none of that means diddly pooh if he can't process NFL coverages and recognize the window he throws in will be smaller.......yet still make the throw and resist the urge to pull it down and run. NOBODY at this stage knows if he can make the transition or not.....there is no evidence of it yet - one way or the other.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 14:28

Seaver - agreed
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 16:04

in this current (and growing) climate of QB uncertainty......you need a GM that recognizes one draft pick alone may not be sufficient in any one draft to draft a QB. You may need to see multiple shots taken and/or consecutive years of QB selections made to combat the uncertainty. Titans should be going back to back at this upcoming draft. Jets should've done this past draft.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024 - 12:10