Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+23
danfran
Atljet60
The Wicker Man
Sarge
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
LIJETFAN
GratefulJet
JETMAN10
SackExchange
NCgreen12
Metjetgal
cysporsche
HYATT™
hobson54
trico990
JohnnyBaseball
Blindsidebrick
Superman55
football51
Old#15
soj
MachinaVerde
27 posters

Chicago Bears @ New York Jets (ESPN) - MNF 8:30PM ET

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Chicago Bears @ New York Jets (ESPN) - MNF 8:30PM ET - Page 14 Empty Re: Chicago Bears @ New York Jets (ESPN) - MNF 8:30PM ET

Post by NickSINYC Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 7:36

Superman55 wrote:I do put a lot of the blame on Geno, but I have a hard time seeing how Idzik and Rex get a pass.  We had holes at WR and CB as soon as last season ended and we went into the offseason with 12 picks and $50 mill to spend Nd went into the season with the same holes.  Not sure how Idzik gets a pass and all these penalties and undisciplined play is ignored.

I feel Idzik hit on 1 pick, Richardson, and is getting a pass for everything else that has gone sour...which has been almost everything else...
    55 you know I respect you and your opinion a lot but draft picks take 3 years to evaluate properly Idzik is here 2 years even he 1st year can't be evaluated properly yet let alone his second.

Rex is here too long as far as I am concerned I wish Woody would have stayed out of things when Idzik was hired
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Chicago Bears @ New York Jets (ESPN) - MNF 8:30PM ET - Page 14 Empty Re: Chicago Bears @ New York Jets (ESPN) - MNF 8:30PM ET

Post by Old#15 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 7:52

Does anyone here have a problem with the 'overcoaching' on both sides of the ball?  We have a meat and potatoes team, and are running offensive and defensive schemes that are geared to having better playmakers.  Our defensive front should be good enough to generate pressure on its own without having to leave a suspect secondary
    isolated.  I also don't think that the best use of your elite DL resources is to have them drop off in coverage.  I really think that Rex gets so caught up in his defensive 'genius' that it becomes almost too much thinking for the players and they can't play to their instincts or strengths.  Case in point for me is Coples fronting Marshall on the outside, or Richardson dropping in coverage; how about letting them go after Cutler.  How many impact plays have we seen from Pryor?  I think sometimes simpler might be better.  Last night the defensive stuff for me was over the top.
    On offense the red zone play calling was horrific.  We have a Bears secondary that is more beat up than ours, big WR/TE red zone targets and the best we can figure out is to run QB draws?  I'm sorry, but once again how about keeping it simple with a fade or letting your big body TEs work against 2nd and 3rd team safeties.  Also, what purpose does it serve to trot Vick out there for a play or two each game?
    Great coaching is about playing to your team's strengths and adjusting to the situation at hand.  I really feel that we failed miserably on both fronts last night.
    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Metjetgal Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 9:03

Sucks that we lost, but if the Jets come out and do Jet things, like throw an INT one min into the game....oh well.  I can't get crazy. Maybe we can grind out a 9-7 record, maybe. This could be Rex's last yr. Sloppy offense, blowing a 21-3 lead, to many miscues last night. Maybe we get to 9-7. Refs will never help either.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 9:30

Superman55 wrote:
    Appreciate your optimism though.  I'm also glad Amaro was in last night.  He was only in 12% of the offensive snaps before last night.  Still think Marty is trying to figure out how to use him.

I too think Pryor will be a stud one day but is being used more in coverage than he should be to help our pathetic secondary.  Allen is also doing solid for moving fr LB, to S, to CB.

Just too many holes fore to be optimistic.

Oh, and Dexker is a stud...but this draft class was stacked at WR and Saunders and Evans isn't exactly what I feel was addressing our needs...just my opinion.

I'm not saying people can't be critical of the draft.  but here's what I don't get.  you seem to like all of Pryor, Amaro and McDougle, but are also ripping Idzik for not drafting a WR.  when we took Saunders, we could have taken Ellington.  Ellington has yet to catch a ball this year.  when we took Evans, we could have taken Bryant.  Bryant has yet to catch a ball this year.  so it's not like we passed on highly productive WRs by taking Saunders and Evans.  

for the record, during the draft, I too wanted Ellington and Bryant when we took Saunders and Evans, respectively.  but right now, none of these guys are doing anything.  and looking at this so-called stacked draft, other than Benjamin (who if i recall you did not like), it's not like we passed on some great WRs, at least based on early production.  Evans and Watkins were gone before we picked in the 1st.  Matthews and Lee were gone when we picked in the 2nd (I guess we could have taken Robinson over Amaro, but then our TE position is weakened).  and while lots of people love Montcrief, he's not exactly lighting it up yet (albeit on a loaded team).  but if you think Dexter is a stud, you can't be so upset with taking him, given we also need CB help.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 9:39

disappointing game from geno.  he showed some flashes, but still made too many rookie mistakes.  also didn't like some of the play-calling from MM.  he gets too cute sometimes and gets away from what is working.  at least he abandoned the vick plays after 1 ill-advised play.  but with chicago playing players from deep down the depth chart in the secondary, he didn't challenge those guys.  obviously the loss of decker really hurt as he seems to be the only red zone target that geno (or MM?) trusts.  then again, maybe MM doesn't trust geno down there to put the ball up in a jump ball in the end zone to nelson or any of the TEs.

overall the defense played pretty well against a loaded bears offense.  the shut down marshall, and while jeffrey had a lot of yards, they contained forte.  defense gave up 20 points, but 7 of those were attributable to the botched punt and the awful pass int.  so basically chicago got the ball inside the 10 without doing anything.  can't really hold those points against the defense.

obviously the refs did us no favors.  no need to rehash those awful calls.  but in the end, there was an opportunity for the jets to take this game and they couldn't get it done.  mostly due to red zone failures.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 10:03

hobson54 wrote:disappointing game from geno.  he showed some flashes, but still made too many rookie mistakes.  also didn't like some of the play-calling from MM.  he gets too cute sometimes and gets away from what is working.  at least he abandoned the vick plays after 1 ill-advised play.  but with chicago playing players from deep down the depth chart in the secondary, he didn't challenge those guys.  obviously the loss of decker really hurt as he seems to be the only red zone target that geno (or MM?) trusts.  then again, maybe MM doesn't trust geno down there to put the ball up in a jump ball in the end zone to nelson or any of the TEs.

overall the defense played pretty well against a loaded bears offense.  the shut down marshall, and while jeffrey had a lot of yards, they contained forte.  defense gave up 20 points, but 7 of those were attributable to the botched punt and the awful pass int.  so basically chicago got the ball inside the 10 without doing anything.  can't really hold those points against the defense.

obviously the refs did us no favors.  no need to rehash those awful calls.  but in the end, there was an opportunity for the jets to take this game and they couldn't get it done.  mostly due to red zone failures.

Good post Hobs.  This game is 80% on Geno and 20% on MM.  Geno cause he wa just awful last night... Probably should have thrown 4-5 ints thank the Lord the bears D dropped a few.  and MM cause he didn't get Ivory involved in the 4th qtr at all.. Last nite Ivory and Powell were the most effective backs.  And because once Decker went down he should have used Amaro more in that Joker TE roll and Cumberland as the traditional TE. He  has got to get Amaro involved and going.  We are baby feeding this kid and I think we can't afford to.
    WilliesDad
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by WilliesDad Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 10:20

Old#15 wrote:Does anyone here have a problem with the 'overcoaching' on both sides of the ball?  We have a meat and potatoes team, and are running offensive and defensive schemes that are geared to having better playmakers.  Our defensive front should be good enough to generate pressure on its own without having to leave a suspect secondary
    isolated.  I also don't think that the best use of your elite DL resources is to have them drop off in coverage.  I really think that Rex gets so caught up in his defensive 'genius' that it becomes almost too much thinking for the players and they can't play to their instincts or strengths.  Case in point for me is Coples fronting Marshall on the outside, or Richardson dropping in coverage; how about letting them go after Cutler.  How many impact plays have we seen from Pryor?  I think sometimes simpler might be better.  Last night the defensive stuff for me was over the top.
    On offense the red zone play calling was horrific.  We have a Bears secondary that is more beat up than ours, big WR/TE red zone targets and the best we can figure out is to run QB draws?  I'm sorry, but once again how about keeping it simple with a fade or letting your big body TEs work against 2nd and 3rd team safeties.  Also, what purpose does it serve to trot Vick out there for a play or two each game?
    Great coaching is about playing to your team's strengths and adjusting to the situation at hand.  I really feel that we failed miserably on both fronts last night.

+1.  I was thinking the same thing this morning.  I feel like MM gets WAY TOO cute sometimes and is still overly enamored with the pass.  He looks to be a lot more creative with a pass play, then a run play.  How many times did we see the old 'run up the gut' play?  I though Schotty was calling those again!  They had the one screen play where C2 dropped the pass when he had open space in front of him.  I would love to see more of that.  Isn't that supposed to be a strength of his, catching the ball?  And yet, on the short yardage 2nd or 3rd downs, we would see Ivory in there or an empty backfield - which I ABSOLUTELY HATE.  Rex, has to tell MM to simplify and go with our strengths and stop trying to be so tricky.

On D, I saw the corners playing WAY OFF the receivers, often giving them at least 10 yards of space.  Are they really that afraid that they will run right by them?  Or do they have too much faith in their ability to close quickly?  When you are defending a 3rd and 5, should you be 10 yards off the receiver?

Sometimes I feel like Rex just can't manage an entire game/team and that maybe the team would be best served with him as the D coordinator and MM as the O coordinator and have a head coach who manages the team, not calling ALL the plays on one side of the ball.  IMO, Rex gives MM freedom to call the game as HE sees fit, but not necessarily how Rex would like to call the game.

IDK, it's just so frustrating being a fan of this team sometimes.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 10:26

Agreed MM gets to cute for himself... He should have stuck with IVory and pounded that D into submission last night.

And the only knock I have on Rex's D has always been when he calls the off coverage BS.  Everytime we play off like that, every team, every team runs a slant and we get burnt.. So frustrating
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 10:53

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    Appreciate your optimism though.  I'm also glad Amaro was in last night.  He was only in 12% of the offensive snaps before last night.  Still think Marty is trying to figure out how to use him.

I too think Pryor will be a stud one day but is being used more in coverage than he should be to help our pathetic secondary.  Allen is also doing solid for moving fr LB, to S, to CB.

Just too many holes fore to be optimistic.

Oh, and Dexker is a stud...but this draft class was stacked at WR and Saunders and Evans isn't exactly what I feel was addressing our needs...just my opinion.

I'm not saying people can't be critical of the draft.  but here's what I don't get.  you seem to like all of Pryor, Amaro and McDougle, but are also ripping Idzik for not drafting a WR.  when we took Saunders, we could have taken Ellington.  Ellington has yet to catch a ball this year.  when we took Evans, we could have taken Bryant.  Bryant has yet to catch a ball this year.  so it's not like we passed on highly productive WRs by taking Saunders and Evans.  

for the record, during the draft, I too wanted Ellington and Bryant when we took Saunders and Evans, respectively.  but right now, none of these guys are doing anything.  and looking at this so-called stacked draft, other than Benjamin (who if i recall you did not like), it's not like we passed on some great WRs, at least based on early production.  Evans and Watkins were gone before we picked in the 1st.  Matthews and Lee were gone when we picked in the 2nd (I guess we could have taken Robinson over Amaro, but then our TE position is weakened).  and while lots of people love Montcrief, he's not exactly lighting it up yet (albeit on a loaded team).  but if you think Dexter is a stud, you can't be so upset with taking him, given we also need CB help.
    Hobson, with the draft, hindsight is always 20-20.  I was not a fan of this particular draft for the Jets.  The Jets had 12 picks, 12.  How many are contributing?  Pryor, Amaro, and that's it.  Saunders fair catches punts or fumbles them basically.   When you have that many picks, you need to get at least 50% of them to be contributing players.  The Jets had so much ammunition they could have moved back, they could have moved up, they could have been aggressive.  Idzik stood pat.  

I generally had no problem with Pryor pick. The question was Pryor or Brandin Cooks, or Kelvin Benjamin, or a CB.  Right now at least, Cooks and Benjamin have been bigger contributors to their teams then Pryor has.  I don't remember which CBs were on the Board in the first and second round, so I'm not sure if Fuller was on the board, but I recall the Jets were high on him too.  I would have liked to have seen the Jets do a better job of prioritizing their needs.  WR & CB were the two biggest weaknesses and we are three weeks into a new season and we have the same issues we had last year with the roster.  That's bad decision-making on the part of the GM.  Idzik hung his hat on Milliner, who can't stay on the field, Dimitri Patterson, a career journeyman with an attitude problem, and McDougle, a player coming off a season-ending injury in college.  That's it.  Does that sound like a good approach?  To me, it sounds like a guy that really can't figure out what kind of team he wants to build, and can't assess the state of his own franchise.  Every knowledgeable Jet fan on this Board knows what the issue are.  Every coach knows what the issues are.  Why didn't the GM address those needs.   And then you look at our schedule and you see Rodgers, Cutler, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Stafford - and you have to know you need CBs! And you have to know you are going to need to score more points to win those games.  

The counter argument is, well he picked up Decker.  Yes, true, good move, good player.  But we have nothing behind him.  
    I saw Cimini's numbers this morning on Geno with Decker on the field and with him off, it's a staggering difference.  I think if you give this kid some weapons, he has a chance to be a pretty good player.  3 games in, and he is throwing to the same WRs we had last year.  That's not good.   Because that group is in my opinion the worst group in the league.  

At CB, Milliner is the pick that is really hurting this team.  He can't stay on the field and when he's out there, he's a mess most of the time.  You can't miss on a pick that high.  It sets your franchise back for years.  Especially with the way the Jets play defense, we need good CBs.  And our offense is not a quick strike offense, we are built to run the ball.  So we can't get into shoot-outs and expect to win.  

Geno needs to take a hit for the INT to start the game.  That throw in the end zone, I know what he was trying to do, it wasn't a great decision, but he was trying to throw it up to give Nelson a chance because of his height advantage.  It didn't work out.  

The play calling in the red zone last night was mind-boggling.  And I haven't said that about Marty yet.  He generally calls a good, aggressive game.  This was not his finest hour.  

But right now, the problem with this team is the lack of depth at two of the most important positions in football, CB and WR.  If we don't have players there, we can't win, not with our schedule.  And to me, that falls on Idzik.

As far as Rex goes, I still think if you give the guy the roster he needs, he can win a Super Bowl.  That is my benchmark.  Can this guy coach a team to the Super Bowl.  On defense he absolutely can.  On offense, no.  But, if you give him a very good coordinator like Marty, he can win a championship.  If we let Rex go, who replaces him?  Darren Bevell?  What makes us think we can even get him?  Rex is good coach, we need to stick with him for at least another season, unless this team completely falls apart.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 11:21

My wife looked @ me during half time and said the main problem with the Jets is Rex.Mad

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 11:51

There seems to be a bit more panic than I expected. This is definitely a bad loss, as was last week. But I'm not sure it makes for a dire situation, yet.

What it does make is next week's a true must-win. We also need to see better play from our CBs and a much, much better Geno. If he has another night like last night, it's trouble.

That said, getting to 2-2 would be fine. 1-3 would be very troubling.
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 11:52

cysporsche wrote:My wife looked @ me during half time and said the main problem with the Jets is Rex.Mad

Go Jets...Cyborg

My wife looked at me at some point in the game where I was looking down and shaking my head and said why do you choose to torture yourself week after week and cited the definition of insanity. Bang Head
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 12:00

There are so many different facets to why the Jets are where they are and enough blame to go around.

Idzik - personnel
    Rex - not enough discipline and totally relegating control of the offense
    Marty - Just seems he either gets too cute or too conservative - both seem to be at the wrong time
    Geno - maybe we wouldn't be talking about this if he doesn't make key mistakes time after time 
    Refs - just bad or no calls seem to haunt them. 
    Jets - this team has a penchant for losing in creative ways and that's why they get the negative media exposure.

No doubt Joe sold his soul in Jan 69 to you know who and BTW he's a prankster.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 12:03

Superman55 wrote:I do put a lot of the blame on Geno, but I have a hard time seeing how Idzik and Rex get a pass.  We had holes at WR and CB as soon as last season ended and we went into the offseason with 12 picks and $50 mill to spend Nd went into the season with the same holes.  Not sure how Idzik gets a pass and all these penalties and undisciplined play is ignored.

I feel Idzik hit on 1 pick, Richardson, and is getting a pass for everything else that has gone sour...which has been almost everything else...

No one is giving anyone a "Pass" in my estimation. I feel the majority are judging this organizational situation accordingly.
    Rex Ryan has a young team around him that he is currently molding. He, IMHO is being held accountable with all the dumb penalties that are truly causing other teams to stay on the field when it's 3rd & long.

Idzik isn't getting a pass because Woody brought him here to BUILD a team. Not to over spend and be placed into a dire situation we had with Mark, Holmes & Cro with the salary cap.  He did try to sign top CB's but he will not break the bank to compensate for team's long term plan.  Something his predecessor knew nothing about, it was all about the immediate satisfaction.

Geno has been surrounded by a cast of players around supplied by John to help him succeed. Yes it is still very early, but when Smith over throws wide open receivers, takes unwarranted sacks where he could just throw it away then turn the ball over, it seems as the coaches, owner and GM have really nothing to do with this.  This squarely falls on the player.

Granted it is early in the season. Hopefully Geno gets it before the crowd starts chanting for Vick.  Though that's the thing. Geno must demonstrate it on the field that he "Gets it". No more of the clippings in the news paper or the statements he makes in the interviews that he's getting close, that's all rubbish to me, the fans and his coaches.  He must play the part on the pitch to make his mark.  His words to the media is absolutely worthless at this point.

Rex will also feel the heat if he doesn't start winning soon as well.  Another playoff less season may place the nail in the coffin towards his exit as Jets head coach.  There will be interesting decision makings from our front office if Geno doesn't step it up.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 12:08

NCgreen12 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:My wife looked @ me during half time and said the main problem with the Jets is Rex.Mad

Go Jets...Cyborg

My wife looked at me at some point in the game where I was looking down and shaking my head and said why do you choose to torture yourself week after week and cited the definition of insanity. Bang Head
    My wife said if i was re-watching a previously recorded Jets game in which i responded, "No, unfortunately, this is going on Live as we speak".
    jamesfyo123
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by jamesfyo123 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 12:13

Honestly, yes yesterday was bad for Geno, but if that's "bad Geno" without Decker, then I'm actually encouraged. Still better than "bad Geno" last year. Without some ridiculous play calling and some really bad reffing, we probably would have won the game despite that. Additionally, the whole year hasn't been a continuation of last year's narrative of "Geno Smith makes dumb errors all the time." He's had some turnovers, but for the most part, in the first two games, I wouldn't pin them on Geno making mental errors/bad decisions (aside from the consequentialist idea that anything with a bad result is by definition a bad action, which I disagree with). Last night is a different story in that regard, but I am still optimistic. If we have Decker in the second half I wouldn't have been surprised if we won, even with the bad reffing, Geno's other mistakes, and Mornhinwegs bad play calling. 

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the 4th down throw to Kerley should have been PI? Nobody seems to be talking about it, but I think Kerley would have had an easy toe tap if the DB had actually waited until after he caught the ball to start pushing him

Chicago Bears @ New York Jets (ESPN) - MNF 8:30PM ET - Page 14 Bymhb410
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 12:20

jamesfyo123 wrote:Honestly, yes yesterday was bad for Geno, but if that's "bad Geno" without Decker, then I'm actually encouraged. Still better than "bad Geno" last year. Without some ridiculous play calling and some really bad reffing, we probably would have won the game despite that. Additionally, the whole year hasn't been a continuation of last year's narrative of "Geno Smith makes dumb errors all the time." He's had some turnovers, but for the most part, in the first two games, I wouldn't pin them on Geno making mental errors/bad decisions (aside from the consequentialist idea that anything with a bad result is by definition a bad action, which I disagree with). Last night is a different story in that regard, but I am still optimistic. If we have Decker in the second half I wouldn't have been surprised if we won, even with the bad reffing, Geno's other mistakes, and Mornhinwegs bad play calling. 

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the 4th down throw to Kerley should have been PI? Nobody seems to be talking about it, but I think Kerley would have had an easy toe tap if the DB had actually waited until after he caught the ball to start pushing him

100% P.I.  If these same Refs called an imaginary P.I in the 1st quarter against Walls, then they should have called this one.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 12:28

I don't necessarily buy into the SOJ mentality. Every team has bad losses, every team finds infuriating ways to lose.

The calls? Two weeks straight that a TD that would have made a difference was taken off the board by the stripes. This after a TD is taken off the board to help the Pats WIN a game. Kerley's looked like PI. The PI call earlier should have been nothing or on AJ. Jets got the raw end of the deal, but that is pretty much perpetually the case.

The mistakes are just awful. Turnovers, not forcing turnovers our way, bad penalties, bad play calls. The lack of discipline and poor QB play have plagued Rex's time here. This team should be good enough for at least .500. Anything less, and you have to look at a change, bringing in a more strict disciplinarian.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 12:37

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

No one is giving anyone a "Pass" in my estimation. I feel the majority are judging this organizational situation accordingly.
    Rex Ryan has a young team around him that he is currently molding. He, IMHO is being held accountable with all the dumb penalties that are truly causing other teams to stay on the field when it's 3rd & long.

Idzik isn't getting a pass because Woody brought him here to BUILD a team. Not to over spend and be placed into a dire situation we had with Mark, Holmes & Cro with the salary cap.  He did try to sign top CB's but he will not break the bank to compensate for team's long term plan.  Something his predecessor knew nothing about, it was all about the immediate satisfaction.

Geno has been surrounded by a cast of players around supplied by John to help him succeed. Yes it is still very early, but when Smith over throws wide open receivers, takes unwarranted sacks where he could just throw it away then turn the ball over, it seems as the coaches, owner and GM have really nothing to do with this.  This squarely falls on the player.

Granted it is early in the season. Hopefully Geno gets it before the crowd starts chanting for Vick.  Though that's the thing. Geno must demonstrate it on the field that he "Gets it". No more of the clippings in the news paper or the statements he makes in the interviews that he's getting close, that's all rubbish to me, the fans and his coaches.  He must play the part on the pitch to make his mark.  His words to the media is absolutely worthless at this point.

Rex will also feel the heat if he doesn't start winning soon as well.  Another playoff less season may place the nail in the coffin towards his exit as Jets head coach.  There will be interesting decision makings from our front office if Geno doesn't step it up.

Oh, Idzik having nelson and Hill instead of DJax and his $3.5 mill salary, Tate and his $5 mill salary, Emmanuel Sanders and his $5 mill salary, Cooper and his $5 mill salary, Nicks and his $3.5 mill salary so we'd "only" be $16.5-$18 mill cap space today is so Mike T.  Yes, David Nelson and $21 mill cap space today (that we can't use to help the team) vs $18 mill and a legit #2 WR is so Mike T.  Idzik should have never gone down that road...and I am sure it takes two sides to tango and not one of those WRs would have considered signing here...not one.

I agree with you, it is 80% Geno's fault...that he almost led us on a game winning drive and threw for 316 yards with Nelson, Salas, Kerley, and Amaro to throw to.  What a bum (he made bone headed plays, I agree, that pissed me off too).

I think it is 50% Geno, 30% Ryan (and his coaches) and 20% Idzik for not putting pieces in place to succeed...unless you think Nelson, Salas, Walls, and Allen are NFL caliber starters...while we sit with $21.5 mill in cap space today...aka the Tampa Bay Jets...

And the cap goes up $30 mill next season, there is no cap hell coming, every team in the NFL gets $30 mill in cap space next year, every team!  ...just in time to resign Snacks, Kerley, and Mo (since we're wasting this cap space, hopefully we don't waste next year's too!
    Polishjetfan
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Polishjetfan Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 12:51

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    jamesfyo123 wrote:Honestly, yes yesterday was bad for Geno, but if that's "bad Geno" without Decker, then I'm actually encouraged. Still better than "bad Geno" last year. Without some ridiculous play calling and some really bad reffing, we probably would have won the game despite that. Additionally, the whole year hasn't been a continuation of last year's narrative of "Geno Smith makes dumb errors all the time." He's had some turnovers, but for the most part, in the first two games, I wouldn't pin them on Geno making mental errors/bad decisions (aside from the consequentialist idea that anything with a bad result is by definition a bad action, which I disagree with). Last night is a different story in that regard, but I am still optimistic. If we have Decker in the second half I wouldn't have been surprised if we won, even with the bad reffing, Geno's other mistakes, and Mornhinwegs bad play calling. 

100% P.I.  If these same Refs called an imaginary P.I in the 1st quarter against Walls, then they should have called this one.
    100,000,000 %. Biggest joke ever. Not even close. I feel so sick...
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 14:53

I think Geno made a couple of bad decisions and he still needs to learn to protect the football better, but every QB throws INTs. It is going to happen.  Geno is a better player than last year that is very obvious. I honestly think if this kid has good (not great) but good receivers, he will become a good quarterback in the league, maybe top 10.   The decision-making needs work, no doubt.  But all of the tools are there - size, strength, mobility, pocket presence, arm strength.  He has all the physical tools for sure.  And he works hard.  So, no the Jets cannot give up on him at all.  He needs a little more talent around him, and his decision-making needs to improve.  But we all can see he is able to put together drives in the clutch.  I would say be a little patient with him.  Vick might not be much better with this receiving corps.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 14:55

LIJETFAN wrote:I think Geno made a couple of bad decisions and he still needs to learn to protect the football better, but every QB throws INTs. It is going to happen.  Geno is a better player than last year that is very obvious. I honestly think if this kid has good (not great) but good receivers, he will become a good quarterback in the league, maybe top 10.   The decision-making needs work, no doubt.  But all of the tools are there - size, strength, mobility, pocket presence, arm strength.  He has all the physical tools for sure.  And he works hard.  So, no the Jets cannot give up on him at all.  He needs a little more talent around him, and his decision-making needs to improve.  But we all can see he is able to put together drives in the clutch.  I would say be a little patient with him.  Vick might not be much better with this receiving corps.

As I've said, last year Vick completed 50% of his passes with Djax, Cooper, Maclin, and McCoy...expecting him to have a better year with Nelson, Kerley, Salas, and Amaro would seem a bit far fetched...
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 15:04

SackExchange wrote:There seems to be a bit more panic than I expected. This is definitely a bad loss, as was last week. But I'm not sure it makes for a dire situation, yet.

What it does make is next week's a true must-win. We also need to see better play from our CBs and a much, much better Geno. If he has another night like last night, it's trouble.

That said, getting to 2-2 would be fine. 1-3 would be very troubling.
    Sack, I think there is some panic because our schedule is very rough.  Nobody thinks we can beat Denver.  San Diego is playing great football right now and look like a legitimate SB contender.  Rivers is on a hot streak and they have talent.  Detroit could potentially run us right out of the building with that offense.  And the Patriots, well, they have tortured us for years and years.  It is very easy to see this team being 1-5 or 2-5, then what?  The season is over by week 6 or 7.  We are looking at a 7-9, 6-10 type of season, again.  If we win this week and get back to 2-2, we could still be 2-5 easily given the state of the roster.  

Thus the panic.  I know it's early and while the team is competitive and in games, they are not a winning team.  They look like a team that is destined for mediocrity again. They either need to take a huge step forward in the next couple of weeks, or it will be another lost season.  And if that happens, I think Rex is gone.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 15:05

Superman55 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:I think Geno made a couple of bad decisions and he still needs to learn to protect the football better, but every QB throws INTs. It is going to happen.  Geno is a better player than last year that is very obvious. I honestly think if this kid has good (not great) but good receivers, he will become a good quarterback in the league, maybe top 10.   The decision-making needs work, no doubt.  But all of the tools are there - size, strength, mobility, pocket presence, arm strength.  He has all the physical tools for sure.  And he works hard.  So, no the Jets cannot give up on him at all.  He needs a little more talent around him, and his decision-making needs to improve.  But we all can see he is able to put together drives in the clutch.  I would say be a little patient with him.  Vick might not be much better with this receiving corps.

As I've said, last year Vick completed 50% of his passes with Djax, Cooper, Maclin, and McCoy...expecting him to have a better year with Nelson, Kerley, Salas, and Amaro would seem a bit far fetched...
    Exactly Superman, good point.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 15:25

Sorry I'm late.......... hey, who knew Ivory could catch?

As for our weapons, we had 414 yards of total offense.  Riley Cooper resigned with the Eagles before free agency opened, Sanders(after agreeing to a deal with the Chiefs........ then the Bucs) ended up in Denver(could you imagine the fallout if he played us the way he played KC AND Tampa?), Tate visited the Lions first and never left, and Jackson, IMO, was a character risk. Maybe, just maybe, we could've won yesterday if we actually ran the ball more with Ivory against their spotty run defense. Also, Snacks, Mo, Davis, Kerley, and Allen are going to want to be paid in the next 6-8 months. It's going to cost a significant amount. Which one(s) were you willing to part with to make the free agent splash? That doesn't even take into account future space for Sheldon and possible Coples.

As for Geno, I suck at predicting how qb's will turn out. However, IMO, he does look much improved from last year. Now, he obviously still has room for improvement. Not every qb is going to become Peyton Manning, Brees, or Rogers. Eli still makes the same mistakes in year 11 that he was making as a rookie. Peyton developed rapidly after being turnover prone early, and Brees hit his stride at the end of his San Diego tenure. Rogers........... he held Favre's water bottle for three years, so who knows how he would've done if he started initially. I don't want to give up on Smith too soon, because Vick is certainly not the future. Smith's int aginst the Raiders was a great diving play by a future first ballot HOFer. The Green bay int was due to poor pass protection and a lack of awareness by Sudfeld. Yesterday's int's were all on Smith. He bounced back nicely after the first one completing 9 straight passes, but the 2nd one was another bad decision. The usual suspects are already beating the Vick drum.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 8:24