Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+28
football51
Pointdexter
Superman55
AFA2017
jetsfanshanghai
WilliesDad
SackExchange
soj
Seaver
skop
GratefulJet
HYATT™
The Wicker Man
Sarge
Blindsidebrick
NYJETSDAN16
Atljet60
Old#15
NCgreen12
jamesfyo123
danfran
JohnnyBaseball
Metjetgal
hobson54
McJet
trico990
jetkwondo
lnap23
32 posters

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 30 Empty Re: Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

Post by NickSINYC Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 23:18

SackExchange wrote:The Kraft run-in on Belichick's presser has taken this to the absurd. They are an absolute three-ring circus in New England. It's insane.

Methinks they all doth protest too much.

What bothers me as I hear the Pats continue to deny is I also continue to read just how close Kraft really is to Goodell. I knew they where friendly but I had no idea the extent. It kills me one is allowed to judge the other.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 30 Empty Re: Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

Post by SackExchange Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 23:20

NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:The Kraft run-in on Belichick's presser has taken this to the absurd. They are an absolute three-ring circus in New England. It's insane.

Methinks they all doth protest too much.

What bothers me as I hear the Pats continue to deny is I also continue to read just how close Kraft really is to Goodell. I knew they where friendly but I had no idea the extent. It kills me one is allowed to judge the other.
    And the Daily News ran a piece on how Kraft is the man most responsible for Goodell's insane $44MM annual salary.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 0:04

Former Bears DC Mel Tucker will be the new secondary coach at Bama. I think it's confirmed. Sort of an odd arrangement
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 1:06

I have no doubt Goodell will conduct the finest investigation money can buy.
    Jetski
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Jetski Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 1:15

GratefulJet wrote:
    WilliesDad wrote:
    Jetski wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    Jetski wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:This NFL substance abuse policy is little more than a glorified albeit antiquated morals clause. The notion of someone being suspended for a year because they tested positive for alcohol is extreme, at least compared to the rules those of us who work in the "employment at will" real world face. Was drinking or getting stoned giving Josh Gordan any kind of competitive advantage over the rest of the players in the league? I have to think even the little kids this policy is apparently aimed at influencing by making an example out of those who fail it are at home struggling to understand to logic and are asking their daddies if they are risking their own livelihoods having a beer on a Sunday afternoon watching football.

I am sure that everyone who has lost a loved one to a drunk driver admires your perspicacity.

I am sure that every professional athlete whose life has been destroyed because he drove while intoxicated agrees.

Was Josh Gordon suspended for a DUI or for having alcohol in his system? I certainly wasn't defending driving under the influence, so you can take your sarcasm and stick it.

Or maybe you think everyone who tests positive for alcohol should be suspended from work for a year.

I think you are totally off-base.

-the point of a negotiated substance abuse policy is not just to punish people for things like DUIs and DWIs, it is to help prevent them from ever getting into such situations in the first place.  And a person who has a substance abuse history should never consume alcohol, period.  There is no doubt that Josh Gordon knew the restrictions under which he was operating as someone already suspended in the past by the league for substance abuse.  If he chose to violate them, he has no one to blame but himself.

-the comparison to "employment in the real world" is absurd.  The lifestyle and environment in which professional athletes are enveloped is totally different and can be conducive to all kinds of abuses for those who are inclined, thus the rules that govern them must reflect that different reality.  Also, their celebrity and the fact that kids tend to idolize them and see them as role models is an important consideration.  They get paid huge sums of money and in exchange they accept upon themselves that they must represent the league in a certain way and according to certain standards.  They choose that life willingly, and the notion that this policy is based on a "glorified/antiquated morals clause" ignores the constant headlines and stories about athletes getting into trouble because of substance or alcohol abuse.

+1.  Very well stated Jetski.

Yes, those both certainly are valid points. What is not valid is insinuating that I advocate drunk driving and the tragic consequences thereof, as Jetski did, simply because I criticized the policy. It is actually possible to discuss and debate these matters without resorting to personal attacks, and I thought that was the basis for creation of this board.

GratefulJet, I intended to be critical of your position using sarcasm, but not to in any way imply that you were okay with drunk driving or the like. I apologize if what I wrote could have been construed that way. I'll have to try to be less cryptic in future posts.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 7:45

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/27/report-rams-interested-in-trading-for-nick-foles/

Rams want in on Foles. Gotta think Eagles would prefer to send him to the AFC.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 8:23

Jetski wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    WilliesDad wrote:
    Jetski wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    Jetski wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:This NFL substance abuse policy is little more than a glorified albeit antiquated morals clause. The notion of someone being suspended for a year because they tested positive for alcohol is extreme, at least compared to the rules those of us who work in the "employment at will" real world face. Was drinking or getting stoned giving Josh Gordan any kind of competitive advantage over the rest of the players in the league? I have to think even the little kids this policy is apparently aimed at influencing by making an example out of those who fail it are at home struggling to understand to logic and are asking their daddies if they are risking their own livelihoods having a beer on a Sunday afternoon watching football.

I am sure that everyone who has lost a loved one to a drunk driver admires your perspicacity.

I am sure that every professional athlete whose life has been destroyed because he drove while intoxicated agrees.

Was Josh Gordon suspended for a DUI or for having alcohol in his system? I certainly wasn't defending driving under the influence, so you can take your sarcasm and stick it.

Or maybe you think everyone who tests positive for alcohol should be suspended from work for a year.

I think you are totally off-base.

-the point of a negotiated substance abuse policy is not just to punish people for things like DUIs and DWIs, it is to help prevent them from ever getting into such situations in the first place.  And a person who has a substance abuse history should never consume alcohol, period.  There is no doubt that Josh Gordon knew the restrictions under which he was operating as someone already suspended in the past by the league for substance abuse.  If he chose to violate them, he has no one to blame but himself.

-the comparison to "employment in the real world" is absurd.  The lifestyle and environment in which professional athletes are enveloped is totally different and can be conducive to all kinds of abuses for those who are inclined, thus the rules that govern them must reflect that different reality.  Also, their celebrity and the fact that kids tend to idolize them and see them as role models is an important consideration.  They get paid huge sums of money and in exchange they accept upon themselves that they must represent the league in a certain way and according to certain standards.  They choose that life willingly, and the notion that this policy is based on a "glorified/antiquated morals clause" ignores the constant headlines and stories about athletes getting into trouble because of substance or alcohol abuse.

+1.  Very well stated Jetski.

Yes, those both certainly are valid points. What is not valid is insinuating that I advocate drunk driving and the tragic consequences thereof, as Jetski did, simply because I criticized the policy. It is actually possible to discuss and debate these matters without resorting to personal attacks, and I thought that was the basis for creation of this board.

GratefulJet, I intended to be critical of your position using sarcasm, but not to in any way imply that you were okay with drunk driving or the like.  I apologize if what I wrote could have been construed that way.  I'll have to try to be less cryptic in future posts.

It appears I am the one who should be apologizing, for misconstruing the intent of your sarcasm. Looking back, it is clear your remarks were simply intended to disparage my intelligence, not question my humanity. Were I in possession of the perspicacity you condescendingly infer I lack, not only would I have avoided stating such an obviously ridiculous position in the first place, perhaps I would have also better apprehended the target of your nuanced jibes. As it is, I can only live up to my screenname, and show gratitude for the lesson in sarcastic forum comportment. So, thank you for taking time out from your temperance campaign to deliver it.

What else is left but to accept your carefully phrased unapologetic apology, in the very spirit it was offered? Keep it cryptic!
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 12:47

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 18:00

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 18:31

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora · 10m 10 minutes ago
    I'm told the Colts have agreement with Duron Carter, free agent WR with tremendous potential. Don't expect an official confirmation til Feb
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 19:43

jetsfanshanghai
    jetsfanshanghai
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by jetsfanshanghai Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 21:52

There are 31 teams in the NFL and the Pats; they will prove that the ball boy did it of his own regard and he'll get sacked and banned from the NFL for life (after a sizeable payday from Kraft)

The Pats will get get a slap on the wrist and a small fine.

One line from the above article that gets me is the wording Kraft used.....

"If the Wells investigation is not able to definitively determine that our organization tampered with the air pressure in the footballs, I would expect and hope that the league would apologize to our entire team...."

He doesn't actually say "allegedly"......the way that quote reads to me is "we did it and IF you can't prove we did it, you better say sorry"
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 15:55

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 17m 17 minutes ago
    #Louisville DC Todd Grantham was offered a 2-year deal by the #Raiders to be their coordinator, source said. Stay tuned.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 16:20

Poor RG3.

Washington Redskins @Redskins · 7m 7 minutes ago
    Matt Cavanaugh,who has 31+ years NFL experience, hired as #Redskins' QBs coach.

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 30 B8d1bGZCcAM_5_u
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 16:28

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 16:30

Bucky Brooks @BuckyBrooks · 5h 5 hours ago
    The @Patriots are just the 5th Super Bowl team w/only 1 offensive player drafted in the 1st round (Nate Solder) of the NFL Draft
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 16:39

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 30 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6Ef9C6--4osa4RIsUQP6iOrI8nykUKc0QtJj80Jm4hEG5mSaE
    McJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by McJet Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 16:47

I think Josh Gordon should go with the Patriots defense.
    I know i tested positive, i just do not know how.
    Unless you have a video of me using what i tested positive for i would like a full apology.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 17:10

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 16m 16 minutes ago
    Nathaniel Hackett is heading to Jax, believed to be taking #Jaguars QB coach job, source said. Pulled out of Rams OC search to take it.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 17:28

McJet wrote:I think Josh Gordon should go with the Patriots defense.
    Unless you have a video of me using what i tested positive for i would like a full apology.

Razz

The ball boy did it. He wasn't 100% sure, but guessed that Tom Brady might prefer deflated balls. Again, just a guess. Definitely not based on ANY communication between him and Brady.
    McJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by McJet Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 18:36

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    McJet wrote:I think Josh Gordon should go with the Patriots defense.

Razz

The ball boy did it. He wasn't 100% sure, but guessed that Tom Brady might prefer deflated balls. Again, just a guess. Definitely not based on ANY communication between him and Brady.

What are the odds Brady would consent to a lie detector test?
    If it ways that heavily on him and he has nothing to hide.......
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 13:32

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 17:50

Nice find great info

Would be nice if this became part of the NFLs investigation but I gave little hope
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 18:13

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 2h 2 hours ago
    Wheels were in motion in Mobile RT @49ers: #49ers name Tom Gamble senior personnel executive.

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 30 B8i8f-3CUAAz3wE
    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hunter07 Fri 30 Jan 2015 - 16:58

Building through the draft......... Pats/Seahawks.
    Thanks 51 - some good reading, enjoyed it ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024 - 3:11