Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+23
JohnnyBaseball
Hunter07
Old#15
DonMaynard
hobson54
jetkwondo
trico990
HYATT™
soj
MachinaVerde
The Wicker Man
NCgreen12
LIJETFAN
Atljet60
lnap23
SackExchange
Metjetgal
football51
Sarge
Blindsidebrick
NickSINYC
Superman55
NYJETSDAN16
27 posters

New York Jets @ Green Bay Packers (CBS)-4:25PM ET

SackExchange
    SackExchange

New York Jets @ Green Bay Packers (CBS)-4:25PM ET - Page 12 Empty Re: New York Jets @ Green Bay Packers (CBS)-4:25PM ET

Post by SackExchange Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 20:02

HYATT™ wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:The Jets, with this DL, are stout against the run. They are suspect against the pass, and have somewhat limited pass rush abilities.

You even spoke earlier about how Geno was facing a real secondary this week, and how it was exposing him. Now you're arguing the Packers have a bad pass defense, and the Jets have a better pass defense than the Packers? Get out of here!

You argue out of both sides of your mouth here.

Not to mention you are citing the front seven to make arguments about pass defense, ignoring the secondary.
    No, I SAID, the Packers have a BAD pass RUSH.
    The Packers secondary doesn't have much to do with the pass rush, they help create coverage sacks, if anything, and GB's front 7 had HOW many sacks today? (2 - both on broken plays, NOT coverage sacks.)
    Wait, what are you arguing? If you're arguing that Rodgers is a great QB and Geno is a bum, fine. But to prove that point, and bring up the front 7s of both teams while ignoring the secondaries of both teams is just selectively cherrypicking to prove your point.

But I have learned that there is nothing that will ever get you to even slightly question your infallibility, so I have no intention of trying. You, as always, are 100% right, and anyone who has ever questioned you is 100% wrong.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

New York Jets @ Green Bay Packers (CBS)-4:25PM ET - Page 12 Empty Re: New York Jets @ Green Bay Packers (CBS)-4:25PM ET

Post by soj Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 20:10

SackExchange wrote:Last time the Jets blew an 18-point lead? 2002.

Inexcusable. This was a winnable game. They proved they could outplay that team. And they went into a shell. The defense stopped hitting Rodgers, the offense stopped moving the ball. Just inexcusable.

Still some holes on this team. AWFUL pass coverage, just awful. Geno was decent but inconsistent. The INT, not too much his fault. But they let the Packers load the box at the end.

Indeed, this was a very winable game.  Even Rex was disgusted at the end just shaking his head....  Your right on Sack with your analysis... this season may get ugly very fast.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 20:13

I'm not sure the season goes too ugly. I still see it being an 8-9 win team. This was honestly one I did not expect the Jets to have. But to lose it that way feels worse.

There are still holes in the secondary, among the WRs, and Geno still has some maturing to do.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 20:35

Can we use the F word on this forum?
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 20:38

SackExchange wrote:Wait, what are you arguing? If you're arguing that Rodgers is a great QB and Geno is a bum, fine. But to prove that point, and bring up the front 7s of both teams while ignoring the secondaries of both teams is just selectively cherrypicking to prove your point.

But I have learned that there is nothing that will ever get you to even slightly question your infallibility, so I have no intention of trying. You, as always, are 100% 99.99% Razz right, and anyone who has ever questioned you is 100% wrong.
    GB's secondary is good, that kept Smith from completing passes.
    A BETTER QB would complete a higher percentage, even against GB's great secondary - they do it and have done it every week - ESPECIALLY if they have an OL as good as the Jets' OL.
    One of the Packers fans' BIGGEST complaints is that GB's defense makes every scrub QB look like a HoFer - because the pass rush has been non-existent for 4 straight seasons now, (since 2011).

If GB's pass rush allows scrub QBs to look like HoFers, what does that say about Smith, in comparison to the HoF bound Josh McCown, Schaub, Gabbert, Ponder, Orton (2X), & rookies Foles & Kaepernick?

There's no cherrypicking going on here, Geno Smith is the worst looking of the lot, when playing GB.

Hey, if Geno Smith starts looking like an NFL Pro starting QB, HYATT™️ will be the FIRST one to point it out.
    Hyatt™️ is just saying, don't hold yer breath, he'd miss ya.
    pirat

Jets fans are hurting right now, and VERY defensive.
    It WAS a "winnable" game for them - if they had a better QB, but they WANT to NOT come down on the youngster - because love him - hate him - indifferent to him - Jets fans are STUCK with him, for the time being, just like they were with Snatchez for so many years.
    A LOT of Jets fans continued to defend HIM, too, for far too long beyond his evident expiration date.

Last edited by HYATT™ on Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 21:25; edited 1 time in total
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 21:15

Not sure I could be more bummed than I am right now. This was a real winable game that turned when Winters did one of his classic Ole blocks that altered Geno's pass to Sudfeld (who BTW did an awful job of fighting for the ball). That seemed to either change Geno or Marty's play calling. Still no excuse for letting the pack travel 90 yards. Really shows our secondary is the weak link on this team but Rodgers is also a great QB so I will cut them a little slack..

BTW - whenever there's a jail break on the offensive line you can bet Winters got beat on an inside move. Not a big fan of him at all.

On the positive side I actually thought Smith played fairly well but still needs some maturing. He started off great and I thought the play calling in the second half was very predictable. Should have seen more first down play action as well as some screens. AND please leave Vick on the bench.

We also had a couple of bad breaks with the time out and the 12 men on the field.

Only the second game and a very tough one to win in Green Bay.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 21:26

I'm sort of pathologically positive, so I see a lot of good things to build on from this game.  Too bummed  to go into the positives right now, but I will later
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 22:26

Two things made me realize it wasn't happening for us today:

The INT of Rodgers nullified by 12 men penalty, and the TO called on the Kerley TD. 

You CANNOT make this crap up. Unreal.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 22:32

Well guys, we let one slip away. 21-3 point lead on the road, and we just morphed into a different team. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. I give the Packers some credit for halftime adjustments, but we really let one get away. We should've won that game. Oh well.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 22:47

NCgreen12 wrote:Not sure I could be more bummed than I am right now. This was a real winable game that turned when Winters did one of his classic Ole blocks that altered Geno's pass to Sudfeld (who BTW did an awful job of fighting for the ball). That seemed to either change Geno or Marty's play calling. Still no excuse for letting the pack travel 90 yards. Really shows our secondary is the weak link on this team but Rodgers is also a great QB so I will cut them a little slack..

BTW - whenever there's a jail break on the offensive line you can bet Winters got beat on an inside move. Not a big fan of him at all.

On the positive side I actually thought Smith played fairly well but still needs some maturing. He started off great and I thought the play calling in the second half was very predictable. Should have seen more first down play action as well as some screens. AND please leave Vick on the bench.

We also had a couple of bad breaks with the time out and the 12 men on the field.

Only the second game and a very tough one to win in Green Bay.

I'm glad someone else noticed this. It was absolutely the turning point in this game. Winters misses the block, Geno gets whacked while throwing, and then Sudfeld inexplicably makes NO effort to fight for the ball. Knock it down, catch it, for Godsakes do something other than tackle him!!  I'm not saying Geno didn't make a few mistakes today, but that was not his fault. No matter what haters want to believe. 

Geno Smith is a good QB. We got beat today because we got too reliant on the run game (credit to the Pack D shutting it down), some wacky circumstances around time outs being called by Marty, and a guy running out of bounds, one step from being out of bounds at the snap as Aaron Rodgers threw a big INT. Are you freakin' kidding me?

Bad luck was part of the problem today.
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 6:59

Well, I did think we'd lose this game, but, when you're up 21-3, you expect to win. When we let them 
    go 97 yards after the int, I knew it was a foregone conclusion that we were going to blow it. 

Anyways, some positives:
    *T-Bo-Nice hands and just barrels upfield after the catch
    *Powell-nice catch and runs
    *Decker-could've had another TD if Geno doesn't over throw him. 
    *Folk-nice 52 yarder to tie it. 

Negatives:
    *Geno-After putting together a very good 1st half, in the 2nd half he was terrible, every pass seem
    to sail high. Needs to be consistent.
    *Secondary-simply put-exposed
    *Coaching-O play calling baffled me at times. Putting Vick in after a positive play??? Hated it.
    jetkwondo
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by jetkwondo Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 8:14

Just read this take on Mo and the way he acted after being ejected,

http://jetsrant.com/2014/09/15/wilkerson-ejection-most-disappointing/

I see he also registered no stats yesterday which makes me wonder if he was frustrated by being double teamed?.  Seems he was embarrassed by his actions which is a good thing
    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Metjetgal Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 9:00

I wonder if Idzik is worried about the secondary now? This game was so typical. Cro looked pretty decent against the Giants. We are woefully thin at wr and cb. I'm so angry I don't even want to think about this game. Just want to move on. Schedule doesn't get any easier, and we rally need to avoid 1-3 for Sept.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 9:20

Some questions and observations:
    - why on earth do coaches feel the need to over-think things in such a simple game?  The Jets were humming along on offense and defense, get a big lead then the dreaded shell appears.  I can see it in the 4th Qtr, but 2nd Qtr, c'mon. I get it, opposing coaches make adjustments too.  I gotta believe that Rex wanted to take the air out of the ball early and had MM back off.  Unfortunately, it took the wind out of our sails and not theirs.
    - There is nothing more troubling for the Jets than their lack of discipline under Ryan.  Penalties, fights, and defensive linemen calling TO when on the sideline, all point directly at Rex. 
    - At this stage of his career Geno is much better on the move, where he creates a lot of problems for the defense.  Not sure why that stopped early in the game.  He also had a couple of misses to Decker and Kerley on deep routes that were impactful.  The INT was excusable as Winters allowed blindside hit that forced the lame duck throw.
    - The idea that Vick has to get into the game when Geno is playing well, even after a positive play is downright idiotic.  Again the over-coaching!
    - Dee looked ok early on defending the rookie WR DAdams, but was badly exposed by Nelson later.  Gotta believe Pryor should have been there earlier on 80 yd TD. 
    - Having said all that, going into the game I wasn't all that hopeful for the win.  The tease though was pretty distasteful, and really highlighted some of the things that have plagued this coaching regime from day 1.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 9:25

Yesterday's game was another tough one to take.  The Jets snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  It was a painful loss.  But, it only counts as one loss.  The Jets are 1-1.  

BlindsideBrick makes some excellent points - first, that INT was not on Geno.  A bad play by Winters caused that INT.  That turned the momentum.  But, I will say this, why call that play there?  I get that they wanted to take a shot into the end zone, but why would you do it with a back up TE?  And yes, Sudfeld made no attempt to play the ball.  It was hanging in the air for a while.  Heck, take the offensive pass interference to keep possession.  You were in field goal range, don't turn it over.  

And for those blasting Geno's play, he's a much improved player.  That is very obvious. I am not going to judge his ability to be successful based on one throw where his legs were hit as he was throwing.  That's ludicrous.  That's not on him.  If you beat him up for that throw, then you have to give him credit for a beautiful pass to Decker for a TD when he stood in there and took a shot right after he released it.  That was a great play and the kind of play a franchise QB makes in that situation - on the road, under pressure, standing in and taking the shot and throwing a perfect touch pass for a TD.   

On the defensive side of the ball - Rodgers figured the Jets defense out, but the problem remains.  The Jets CBs are below average and this will be a huge issue.  If the Jets don't make the playoffs this year, the CB situation will be the reason why.  I will say that I am not sure why Allen was pulled for Milliner.   The defense played better as a unit with Allen and Walls out there.  Milliner is not ready to come back.  He looked like he was running with lead in his shoes when he was chasing Nelson.  Hardly looked like a 4.3 - 4.4 guy.  He's still not 100%.  

The TO - don't know what to say about it.  That's our luck.  The penalty with 12 men on the field, again typical. And the Decker injury is huge.  He could be out a few weeks, which is a big problem.  WR & CB, those were the issues in the offseason, and they are still the issues.  If the Jets fail to make the playoffs it will be because of a lack of depth and/or talent at those two positions.    

What makes these losses tougher are the Jets give you just enough hope to think they are going to pull a major upset, and then it comes crashing down.  I've seen too many of these games over the years.  I didn't expect the Jets to win this game, but next week is another brutal game.  The Bears can score points.  Their WRs are excellent.  The Jets could be sitting at 1-2 and would be in trouble early in the year.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 10:03

I'd love to see what would ever happen if the breaks went our way.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 10:39

I was so disgusted yesterday I couldn't even think about posting, even to vent.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 12:06

well that sucked.  but i kind of felt as soon as geno threw that int that the tide was gonna turn and we would lose the game.  unfortunately, that proved correct  Sad 

not much more to add than what has been discussed already.  play-calling in the 2nd half was a bit mind boggling.  geno started nicely, but they coasted on the lead and then couldn't get going again.

dumb mistakes again cost us.  i would add that the int called back on the penalty was clearly a case of rodgers quick snapping with the jets having too many men on the field, so i think he probably forced a throw knowing there was no "downside".  not sure he makes the same throw if he didn't know he had a free play.

i expected a loss...if not a blowout loss...so i'm not too down.  the team still looks like the 8ish (give or take) win team i expected them to be.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 12:13

hobson54 wrote:well that sucked.  but i kind of felt as soon as geno threw that int that the tide was gonna turn and we would lose the game.  unfortunately, that proved correct  Sad 

not much more to add than what has been discussed already.  play-calling in the 2nd half was a bit mind boggling.  geno started nicely, but they coasted on the lead and then couldn't get going again.

dumb mistakes again cost us.  i would add that the int called back on the penalty was clearly a case of rodgers quick snapping with the jets having too many men on the field, so i think he probably forced a throw knowing there was no "downside".  not sure he makes the same throw if he didn't know he had a free play.

i expected a loss...if not a blowout loss...so i'm not too down.  the team still looks like the 8ish (give or take) win team i expected them to be.

Yep that INT and Quigleys terrible punt that let Crosby kick the 55yd FG were the game.  Forget everything else. Those 2 plays were a minimum a 13 pt swing.  A better punt with that defensive stop keeps it 21-6 and Geno not throwing that pick in the Red zone would have made it easily 24-6 at half instead of 21-16... and blame Winters for Geno getting hit on that TD but Geno also needed to recognize Sudafield wide open on the sideline a half sec earlier and the game is 28-6 at half. 

Nothing after those 2 plays mattered to me I knew it was gonna be an ugly 2nd half at that point.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 12:19

fwiw - that 55 yard FG proved the deciding factor in winning my fantasy football game this week.  so i got that going for me... Suspect
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 12:23

hobson54 wrote:fwiw - that 55 yard FG proved the deciding factor in winning my fantasy football game this week.  so i got that going for me... Suspect

UGHH I have Crosby too and his 13Pts definitely helped me win as well, but UGHHHHH!!!!
    JohnnyBaseball
    JohnnyBaseball
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by JohnnyBaseball Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 13:00

It was not good to see the team completely lose their composure yesterday. That's a very bad sign. Things started going poorly, and they couldn't handle it. They looked panicked, and then later, they looked like they were throwing a temper tantrum and almost looked ready to quit. I do not like what I saw from the team yesterday, in terms of maturity.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 13:07

JohnnyBaseball wrote:It was not good to see the team completely lose their composure yesterday. That's a very bad sign. Things started going poorly, and they couldn't handle it. They looked panicked, and then later, they looked like they were throwing a temper tantrum and almost looked ready to quit. I do not like what I saw from the team yesterday, in terms of maturity.

Funny thing is the Defense stopped GB cold on all 3 or 4 drives after that scrum..
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 13:10

Metjetgal wrote:I wonder if Idzik is worried about the secondary now? This game was so typical. Cro looked pretty decent against the Giants. We are woefully thin at wr and cb. I'm so angry I don't even want to think about this game. Just want to move on. Schedule doesn't get any easier, and we rally need to avoid 1-3 for Sept.

overreacting here.... the scheme of our D didn't adjust when Rodgers did.  That was the problem.  Other than the Milliner blown coverage the D played perfectly in the scheme.  McCarthy adjusted to it and called the right plays against it and Rodgers picked us a part because we didn't adjust.  Not gonna let this game make me worry about the secondary... Talk to me in 3-4 weeks though and I might change my mind. Razz
    JohnnyBaseball
    JohnnyBaseball
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by JohnnyBaseball Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 13:38

lnap23 wrote:Funny thing is the Defense stopped GB cold on all 3 or 4 drives after that scrum..

I mean, to be fair, they did almost get back into the game, and probably SHOULD have had the tying touchdown. It was more the way they looked like the game sped up after that, especially on offense. I would like to see a bit more composure going forward. I understand being pissed, I feel like we get screwed on like every penalty. But what they did never helps, I guess.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 May 2024 - 22:19