Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+13
NCgreen12
cysporsche
Blindsidebrick
LIJETFAN
hobson54
Superman55
Marac
lnap23
Metjetgal
Hunter07
Sarge
NickSINYC
SackExchange
17 posters

ESPN's Chris Mortensen: Idzik, Rex fired

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

ESPN's Chris Mortensen: Idzik, Rex fired - Page 2 Empty Re: ESPN's Chris Mortensen: Idzik, Rex fired

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 12:23

Rex is a very good defensive coordinator. He's not a very good head coach.

Anybody catch the two 12 men on the field penalties within 5 mins yesterday?

A microcosm of the sloppiness of his team. Buyer beware.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

ESPN's Chris Mortensen: Idzik, Rex fired - Page 2 Empty Re: ESPN's Chris Mortensen: Idzik, Rex fired

Post by cysporsche Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 12:26

The future GM might be the guy we've been trying to recruit before Idzik. He is Eric DeCosta the assistant GM with the Baltimore Ravens. He's not going anywhere with them as long as Ozzie Newsome is their GM ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 12:32

in regards to Idzik......let's also not forget he wasn't exactly top of the list of candidates.......he was willing to take on Rex and had a plan to dump Revis. Woody deserves a ton of criticism for the process he used to hire to him.....and as such he was likely sensitive to the avalanche of negativity generated by Idzik.......but most of all money talks and Woody sensed he could lose more if change didn't take place.

I know some feel 2 years isn't enough, but in this case anything more than 2 could've caused greater harm.

For the first time in a long time I have hope as to how the structure will be assembled. Football people are involved in the process of hiring presumably (hoping) football people.

What's annoying is that the infrastructure of the Jets has been a nightmare since Parcells left. Not that he was a great administrator by any means, but the vacuum effect it created has been echoing for years. Woody has not had a solid football man in the operation since that time. Dysfunction has begotten dysfunction. Woody has never proclaimed to be a football savant, but only NOW is he conducting a search in the proper fashion.

I do see one big speed bump ahead...........the Jets sitting on so much FA money and Woody's desire to get PSLs sold. While we would all like to see spending this offseason, let's not overdue it.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 12:37

Woody definitely made a mistake in how his last GM search went. He never should have made it a requirement that Tanny's replacement inherit Rex. It made the job a lot less appealing to some.

Now, aside from the tabloid media circus and some of the extremist elements in the fan base, the position has some appeal. A new GM would come in with a boatload of cap room, good draft position, and skill at several positions, all in a big media market and a high-value team. It would be a lot easier if a young franchise QB was here, but that will have to be addressed.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 12:41

Blindsidebrick wrote:Rex is a very good defensive coordinator. He's not a very good head coach.

Anybody catch the two 12 men on the field penalties within 5 mins yesterday?

A microcosm of the sloppiness of his team. Buyer beware.

not ashamed to say I am a Rex fan......and this last game evoked all the conflicting emotions in my head as to what his status should be....but nothing epitomized his tenure more than that sequence of too few and too many players on the field. It's definitely time to move on. I wish him well, but he needs better assistants around him, a strong GM with personnel who can/will overrule Rex on player acquisition, and most of all a real QB. He CAN win, but it takes more to put a HC like Rex in that position - and it odds are against him maintaining playoff consistency.

It was quite a ride and I thank him for those 2 magical trips........and the energy he kept bringing. I as a fan feed off seeing the passion players have for their coaches.....so it's bittersweet to see the lack of results. I wish him well and I'm ready to turn the page towards a brighter future.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 12:45

Rex would be a good hire for many teams. If the Jets were coming off another coach, he might even be a good hire here, depending on who that other coach was.

But he's not a good seventh year coach, not with this team. He's a good guy, but his act has gotten old. The inmates run the asylum.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 12:45

SackExchange wrote:Woody definitely made a mistake in how his last GM search went. He never should have made it a requirement that Tanny's replacement inherit Rex. It made the job a lot less appealing to some.

Now, aside from the tabloid media circus and some of the extremist elements in the fan base, the position has some appeal. A new GM would come in with a boatload of cap room, good draft position, and skill at several positions, all in a big media market and a high-value team. It would be a lot easier if a young franchise QB was here, but that will have to be addressed.

one thing is for sure.......the GM cannot have the personality of a shrinking violet. Somebody has to come in and take charge.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 12:48

SackExchange wrote:Rex would be a good hire for many teams. If the Jets were coming off another coach, he might even be a good hire here, depending on who that other coach was.

But he's not a good seventh year coach, not with this team. He's a good guy, but his act has gotten old. The inmates run the asylum.

tough to succeed the first go around.........even Belichick had his bump in the road to get to this point. For his sake, Rex needs to be honest with himself when he gets the next shot. Sitting out a year might do him better than jumping right back in........but of course that's not the way Rex will see it, so expect more of the same. Rex would need a great OC to make it work
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 12:52

Seaver wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Rex would be a good hire for many teams. If the Jets were coming off another coach, he might even be a good hire here, depending on who that other coach was.

tough to succeed the first go around.........even Belichick had his bump in the road to get to this point.  For his sake, Rex needs to be honest with himself when he gets the next shot.  Sitting out a year might do him better than jumping right back in........but of course that's not the way Rex will see it, so expect more of the same.  Rex would need a great OC to make it work
    He will need a great OC, and he will need either a vocal leader at QB or an involved GM who cracks heads. Rex isn't willing to call out guys, or hold them accountable. Someone in the room has to do that.
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 13:11

Jets Have Reached Out To Vikings’ George Paton About GM Vacancy
    Originally written on NFL Trade Rumors | Last updated 12/29/14
    Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reports that the New York Jets have already reached out the Vikings regarding assistant GM George Paton.

According to Rapoport, the Jets targeted Paton during their previous GM search that ultimately led to them hiring John Idzik.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 13:27

"AMERICA LOVES A WINNER AND WILL NOT TOLERATE A LOSER"  - Gen George Patton
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 13:54

Sarge wrote:"AMERICA LOVES A WINNER AND WILL NOT TOLERATE A LOSER"  - Gen George Patton

Perfect Sarge! Don't know anything about the guy, but then, I don't know anything about any of these guys. Just get someone who knows college football!
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 13:58

BIOGRAPHY

George Paton enters his 8th season with the Vikings in 2014, serving as the club’s Assistant General Manager and working with General Manager Rick Spielman.

The duo have a long professional history together, having worked on the personnel staffs in Chicago and Miami before joining forces again in Minnesota.

The 2012 Vikings benefitted from an influx of young talent and spurred the squad to a Vikings-record 7-win improvement over the previous season, finishing 10-6 and earning a Wild Card playoff berth. The Vikings landed 3 draft picks on the All- Rookie team and a pair of rookies garnered Pro Bowl honors. Vikings FB Jerome Felton joined the team as a free agent in 2012 and went on to a career year, paving the way for Adrian Peterson to post the 2nd-best rushing mark in NFL history with 2,097 yards and earned his 1st career All-Pro and Pro Bowl recognition.

The Vikings roster development through free agency, trades and the draft built the foundation for the back-to-back NFC North Champions in 2008 and 2009. The Vikings tied a team record with 10 players earning Pro Bowl berths in 2009, 5 were acquired by the draft, 4 by free agency and 1 via trade. The 2009 team tied the 2nd-most wins in franchise history with a 12-4 mark in the regular season and advanced to the NFC Championship game for the first time since 2000. The Vikings 22 wins over the 2008 and 2009 seasons led the NFC over that span and ranked 2nd in the NFL.

Paton’s primary focus is coordinate scouting and personnel functions within the Vikings Pro Scouting Department and lend his expertise to the College Scouting Department as they prepare for the annual NFL Draft.

Paton spent 6 seasons (2001-06) with the Miami Dolphins as Director of Pro Personnel. Paton began his NFL career in the college and pro scouting departments of the Chicago Bears, rising to the position of Assistant Director of Pro Personnel in 2000.

A 4-year letter winner as a DB at UCLA from 1988-91, Paton was a part of a pair of Bruin bowl teams. He earned a bachelor’s degree in history and went on to play in professional football leagues in Italy and Austria.

Paton (pronounced Payton) and wife, Barbara, have a daughter, Bella, and son, Beau.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 14:03

@JasonLaCanfora: The 49ers, Falcons and Jets have requested interviews with Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. More overtures could be coming"
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 14:10

Might not mean anything, but if we get the guy from Vikings as GM, Norv Turner is their offensive coordinator and former Buffalo DC Jerry Gray is an assistant for them
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 14:11

Shelter and Mehta reporting Jets trying to talk Harbough into coaching Jets and Michigan decision may not be final.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 14:16

My best buddy at work is a huge Michigan fan....If we steal Harbaugh, I'm showing up in Jets regalia the entire 1st week back
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 14:20

Sarge wrote:@JasonLaCanfora: The 49ers, Falcons and Jets have requested interviews with Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. More overtures could be coming"

The last five head coaches for the Jets have been defensive guys. Time for a HC who knows how to help develop a QB? Just an idea.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 14:20

It was time to move on from both. I just hope that the so call expert consultants get the recommendation correct because I do not want to be sitting here in two years typing this same message.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 14:24

[quote="Blindsidebrick"]
    Sarge wrote:
    The last five head coaches for the Jets have been defensive guys. Time for a HC who knows how to help develop a QB? Just an idea.

Totally agree, that's why I have Haley, Hamilton, Gase, Bevell, etc at the top of my list

BUT, Quinn and Bowles might be good enough to be exceptions to the rule
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 19:46

WoodCassWolf flying to Seattle to interview Dan Quinn according to reports

I don't want a defensive coach, but as I've said before would bend the rule for Quinn or Bowles
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 19:58

Sarge wrote:WoodCassWolf flying to Seattle to interview Dan Quinn according to reports

I don't want a defensive coach, but as I've said before would bend the rule for Quinn or Bowles

My preference would be they were flying to see a GM candidate. I would rather have one in place 1st and have him involved in the HC search. I would rather not force another HC on a new GM.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 20:55

NickSINYC wrote:
    Sarge wrote:WoodCassWolf flying to Seattle to interview Dan Quinn according to reports

My preference would be they were flying to see a GM candidate. I would rather have one in place 1st and have him involved in the HC search. I would rather not force another HC on a new GM.

That was my reaction as well, Nick. I believe they are scheduling it like this because they have a small window of opportunity, and it's just a first interview. Just kind of getting him in the mix before he goes off to win a Super Bowl.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 20:33

Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz
    Former Jets coach Rex Ryan has interviews scheduled with the Falcons and 49ers for their HC openings, according to a source. #nyj
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 20:59

NickSINYC wrote:Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz
    Former Jets coach Rex Ryan has interviews scheduled with the Falcons and 49ers for their HC openings, according to a source. #nyj

Atlanta makes more sense. He's got Matt Ryan and playmakers on offense, and can re-tool the defense in his image.

49ers? Defensively it looks great. Aldon Smith and the Gang would thrive. But Kaepernick would be in better hands with Gase, Kubiak, or even Shannahan, IMO.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 9:52