Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+11
Old#15
jamesfyo123
soj
NYJETSDAN16
football51
cysporsche
The Wicker Man
GratefulJet
hobson54
Sarge
Superman55
15 posters

Miami at Jets, Monday, December 1, 2014

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Miami at Jets, Monday, December 1, 2014 - Page 8 Empty Re: Miami at Jets, Monday, December 1, 2014

Post by GratefulJet Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 11:48

In a way, tanking the season puts the team in a better position to attract a high profile coach and/or GM. The worse the record this year, the more "it can only get better in 2015". Also, the better the draft position, which will be crucial to building a foundation of talent. Finally, it gives more room for a complete housecleaning, which the new guy will want to do. So perhaps when Rex said that starting Geno was a "Jets decision", what he's saying it is, it was Woody's call?
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Miami at Jets, Monday, December 1, 2014 - Page 8 Empty Re: Miami at Jets, Monday, December 1, 2014

Post by Seaver Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 11:57

hobson54 wrote:pretty pathetic game plan in the 2nd half.  while the running game was working in the 1st half, the phins were obviously keying on the run after the half.

if this was Rex's way of saying F.U to Idzik for making him playing Geno, then Rex should be shown the door today (and I say this as a long-time Rex fan).  the reason the team should be playing Geno now is to see if he has any future with the franchise.  allowing him to only throw 13 passes is not evaluating him.  granted the o-line was awful and couldn't protect him.  but it was just pathetic.

I never root for the Jets to lose, and always want them to beat Miami (and NE), moreso when beating Miami would hurt their playoff chances.  but i guess I can take consolation that their draft position improves.

this is gonna become ugly. IF there is a subversive agenda for Rex to insulate himself against the roster failings of the GM, then this has to be dealt with now. Watching that game last night, how does anyone come away from it without some doubt that a message was being sent? It's either that or he was flat out lying in the postgame that he was afraid of his own QB. I see the two as mutually exclusive angles. Something was afoot last night that smelled bad.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 12:16

Well, come on now, Rex knows he's fired, he came up with a gameplan that almost worked. You can't fault him for the gameplan on either side of the ball last night. Fault him for the sloppy play, poor special teams, penalties, lack of execution, poor player development, whatever ......but the gameplan on both sides last night was a sound defensible strategy given the roster and opponent. If folk makes and kick, their guy misses a kick, Pace catches a ball, Geno hits Percy, etc, we win the game.

Rex is done in NYC, but he had a plan vs Miami and worked it
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 12:24

Question ? Geno played his whole College career @ WVU in the shotgun, why not let him play in the shotgun for the Jets ? He looked very uncomfortable in the pocket last night. If you watch the elite QB's (Brady), watch him step up into the pocket for better protection. Geno plays scared, then his happy feet take off.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 12:29

Sarge wrote:Well, come on now,  Rex knows he's fired, he came up with a gameplan that almost worked. You can't fault him for the gameplan on either side of the ball last night.  Fault him for the sloppy play, poor special teams, penalties,  lack of execution, poor player development, whatever ......but the gameplan on both sides last night was a sound defensible strategy given the roster and opponent.  If folk makes and kick,  their guy misses a kick, Pace catches a ball, Geno hits Percy, etc, we win the game.

Rex is done in NYC, but he had a plan vs Miami and worked it

not really. he had a plan for the 1st half. the dolphins adjusted and stopped the running game the 2nd half.

yes, the game was within reach and but for a few plays could have been a win. but i have a hard time saying rex put his team in the best position to win for 60 minutes.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 12:36

after the first TD........they never really tried to take victory. Once they got into FG range they seemed content to settle for one. Not a good gameplan.

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 12:45

I kind of got the feeling that Rex and Marty were sticking with the strength of the offense, and with what was working. I don't see a subversive agenda, and all this conspiracy between Rex and Idzik. It's just media spin, IMO.

With that said, I thought they played scared with Geno. They have lost trust in him. They should've taken some shots downfield more. Decker's drop was awful, and the miss to Harvin was pure Geno right now. The INT to end the game was icing on the cake. A reminder of why they're scared to throw it. It was a cruel ending to a cruel season.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 13:09

Jets fans cry and whine about Geno, call him terrible and a bust, then when Rex designs a gameplan that puts us in position to win the game while minimizing Geno's role, Jets fans are like "Where's Geno? You gotta pass the ball more!"

Not counting the couple of Internet trolls on here, some of you guys need to check yourselves, you're all over the place with your comments
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 13:44

Seaver wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:pretty pathetic game plan in the 2nd half.  while the running game was working in the 1st half, the phins were obviously keying on the run after the half.

if this was Rex's way of saying F.U to Idzik for making him playing Geno, then Rex should be shown the door today (and I say this as a long-time Rex fan).  the reason the team should be playing Geno now is to see if he has any future with the franchise.  allowing him to only throw 13 passes is not evaluating him.  granted the o-line was awful and couldn't protect him.  but it was just pathetic.

I never root for the Jets to lose, and always want them to beat Miami (and NE), moreso when beating Miami would hurt their playoff chances.  but i guess I can take consolation that their draft position improves.

this is gonna become ugly.  IF there is a subversive agenda for Rex to insulate himself against the roster failings of the GM, then this has to be dealt with now.  Watching that game last night, how does anyone come away from it without some doubt that a message was being sent?  It's either that or he was flat out lying in the postgame that he was afraid of his own QB.   I see the two as mutually exclusive angles.  Something was afoot last night that smelled bad.

Agree with both of you... the team is a shambles. Watching the game it was apparent that the coaches do not trust Geno and why should they I mean when he did throw the ball he was inaccurate ...

AS far as I am concerned both need to go... but not sure that will happen. 277 yards rushing and we lose... potential INTS dropped, even out MVP kicker had an off night... when I told my wife they were winning she was like "really" how sad is that comment! But of course I made sure she understood that they are playing to lose the game and they did....
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 14:14

Old#15 wrote:
    Seaver wrote:before we pee ourselves in joy over Aboushi..........so far he's been half a Guard.......run blocking.........pretty much the same skillset Winters brought.  In terms of pass protection, the OL sucks....so I'm not claiming success just yet.

Quite frankly, the young man should be considered depth next year and they need to add a FA and draft choice (somewhere in Rds 1-3)to start.

I respectfully disagree, as Oday has been very solid all-around and should be a starter next year.  If anything Colon should be replaced with a free agent, draftee or Dozier/Winters next year. I think a lot of the problems on the OL can be tied to the scatterbrained offensive approach and poor coaching.  

Correct...and Colon will be a FA and likely not returning.

Also, our biggest hole is the entire right side of the oline...Colon and Gia suck at pass protection. Losing Howard for Gia for 1.5 mill/year is so pathetic by Idzik...add to the list I guess.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 14:15

Sarge wrote:Jets fans cry and whine about Geno, call him terrible and a bust, then when Rex designs a gameplan that puts us in position to win the game while minimizing Geno's role, Jets fans are like "Where's Geno?  You gotta pass the ball more!"

Not counting the couple of Internet trolls on here, some of you guys need to check yourselves, you're all over the place with your comments

i think the reason you play geno now is to see if he can lead a professional offense and have a chance to remain a part of the team in the future. there are very few people who think you can compete for the playoffs, let alone advance in the playoffs, attempting 13 passes in a game.

so while the game plan may have proven successful for the first 30 minutes of the game, it did nothing to help with the evaluation of geno
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 14:16

Seaver wrote:

this is gonna become ugly.  IF there is a subversive agenda for Rex to insulate himself against the roster failings of the GM, then this has to be dealt with now.  Watching that game last night, how does anyone come away from it without some doubt that a message was being sent?  It's either that or he was flat out lying in the postgame that he was afraid of his own QB.   I see the two as mutually exclusive angles.  Something was afoot last night that smelled bad.

Every redzone trip was 3 hand-offs and not one play-action pass, bootleg, or read option for Geno...if that doesn't smell fishy, nothing does...
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 14:23

hobson54 wrote:
    Sarge wrote:Jets fans cry and whine about Geno, call him terrible and a bust, then when Rex designs a gameplan that puts us in position to win the game while minimizing Geno's role, Jets fans are like "Where's Geno?  You gotta pass the ball more!"

i think the reason you play geno now is to see if he can lead a professional offense and have a chance to remain a part of the team in the future.  there are very few people who think you can compete for the playoffs, let alone advance in the playoffs, attempting 13 passes in a game.

so while the game plan may have proven successful for the first 30 minutes of the game, it did nothing to help with the evaluation of geno

almost 40% of the pass attempts took place in the last 2 minutes of the game........had they tried a few earlier they might not have needed the ball late.  Even in the worst days of Mark Sanchez (red/yellow/green band) he was allowed to execute play action.  Jets made no attempt to take advantage of one on one matchups when the Fish stacked the line.  What was that?  

Jets did everything possible to keep the Fish around and it eventually succeeded.
    WilliesDad
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by WilliesDad Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 14:29

(Late to the discussion and forgive me for repeating points already made).

I can't recall ever being more embarrassed to be a Jets fan than I am today.  Not because of the record.  But because of what was played out before me - on national TV. They spoke all week about how playing Geno is the right thing to do for the future of the team so they could evaluate him and then they come out with that game plan!  If the Raiders weren't as bad as they are, we would be the undisputed laughingstock of the NFL.  

It wasn't just the avoidance of having Geno pass the ball, it was the penalties, the lack of second half adjustment, the horrible ST play, the game planning, everything.  The same crap we see over and over again.  

This whole thing needs to be blown up.  Rex and the entire coaching staff need to be fired.  at a minimum.  I'm still not sure about whether or not Idzik should stay.

I still believe that Geno can be a serviceable NFL QB, but not in the NY market and especially not under these coaches.

I am disgusted, embarrassed and angry.  I hope that Woody is too, although he seemed quite disinterested in the game last night from the one shot of him that I saw during the third quarter I think (granted a small sample, but telling nonetheless in that you usually see the owner watching the game when shown.

Last edited by WilliesDad on Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 14:30; edited 1 time in total
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 14:29

Superman55 wrote:
    Also, our biggest hole is the entire right side of the oline...Colon and Gia suck at pass protection.  Losing Howard for Gia for 1.5 mill/year is so pathetic by Idzik...add to the list I guess.

Austin Howard plays RG for the worst team in football with the worst rushing offense in football. if he can't beat out Khalif Barnes, i'm not sure he's that great of a loss
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 15:30

Joe Caporoso retweeted
    Bryan @MetsJetsNyrEfc · 2h 2 hours ago
    Notable PFF scores yesterday: Nick Mangold +6.4 (wow) and Jeff Cumberland continued his atrocious season with a -5.0. @TurnOnTheJets

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 2h 2 hours ago
    LRT - I'm sure Cumberland will still be playing 3x as many snaps as Amaro next week #Jets
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 16:48

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    Also, our biggest hole is the entire right side of the oline...Colon and Gia suck at pass protection.  Losing Howard for Gia for 1.5 mill/year is so pathetic by Idzik...add to the list I guess.

Austin Howard plays RG for the worst team in football with the worst rushing offense in football.  if he can't beat out Khalif Barnes, i'm not sure he's that great of a loss

Austin Howard made the decision to head westward. The Raiders overpaid for him. Again, we're slamming Idzik for something he's not responsible for. Sometimes a GM has zero control over where a player signs. I don't know why some fans think simply throwing money at it will guarantee it happening.

I don't EVER want a GM in here who says "hey, I've got 20 million in cap space! I'll just pay Austin Howard whatever he wants because I have lots of money to burn!!!"
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 17:49

Austin Howard was not worth the money OAK gave him.......and the RT wouldn't be so bad if the RG wasn't such a horror show. I do take issue with Idzik's overall plan for the OL. How he made Colon the primary option at RG is beyond me....guy was nothing more than a swinging gate and penalty machine last year......then he had offseason surgery. To me that was a huge miss on his part. I was ok with LG being in development, but the two guard spots being a weakness has crippled them.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 11:25

I think this is Colon's last year, but what I've always heard about Colon, is that he is a practice warrior ! The players that practice the best should start. With that said, being 2-10, I think it's audition time for next season. It's a good time to plug in Dakota Dozier 6'4"/312 in @ RG and Ben Ijalana 6'4"/322 @ RT to see what we have before next years draft.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 12:19

they can't do much worse........Jet QBs are getting killed......so nobody on that OL should feel good about themselves.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:39

Joe Caporoso   @TurnOnTheJets  

Everything Rex is saying about winning now is fair from his perspective but it is also why he shouldn't be allowed to coach the last 4 games

Bragging about a rushing yardage total is like thinking the #Jets defense is anywhere near good because of their total defense ranking

Putting the first tweet in context, Rex said that he didn't care about playing young guys for developmental or evaluation purposes.  Also read that said Cumberland had a great game.  Funny my recollection is Cumby getting pancaked by Wake, and not catching a pass all day.  In retrospect, we would have been better off playing a 6th OL.
    [/i]
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 17:08

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 22h 22 hours ago
    Only TD #Jets scored in past 10 quarters @PFF_Pete: Why did it feel like MIA had 10 men on Salas TD? Because they did

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 22h 22 hours ago
    I keep hearing the #Jets game-plan worked so well but they scored one TD all night and it was against 10 guys #Jets
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 17:59

Old#15 wrote:Joe Caporoso   @TurnOnTheJets  

Everything Rex is saying about winning now is fair from his perspective but it is also why he shouldn't be allowed to coach the last 4 games

Bragging about a rushing yardage total is like thinking the #Jets defense is anywhere near good because of their total defense ranking

Putting the first tweet in context, Rex said that he didn't care about playing young guys for developmental or evaluation purposes.  Also read that said Cumberland had a great game.  Funny my recollection is Cumby getting pancaked by Wake, and not catching a pass all day.  In retrospect, we would have been better off playing a 6th OL.
    [/i]

Who is letting him coach these last 4 games?
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 11:12

to be fair.......what does Rex owe anyone that he needs to play kids? It won't be for his benefit and he feels he owes it to the vets who have bled and sweated for him. I really don't find fault with Rex's position down the stretch. If nothing else, these vets are fighting for jobs in 2015, whether it be in NY or elsewhere...

That being said, it is then up to the GM to remove Rex if playing youngsters supersedes trying to win. This will only get uglier if they in fact have the opposing viewpoints on playing kids vs vets.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 11:21

Seaver wrote:to be fair.......what does Rex owe anyone that he needs to play kids?  It won't be for his benefit and he feels he owes it to the vets who have bled and sweated for him. I really don't find fault with Rex's position down the stretch.  If nothing else, these vets are fighting for jobs in 2015, whether it be in NY or elsewhere...

That being said, it is then up to the GM to remove Rex if playing youngsters supersedes trying to win.  This will only get uglier if they in fact have the opposing viewpoints on playing kids vs vets.  

Its the spin on what he said.

he didn't say he wouldn't play young players, he said he plays to win the games. He specifically said he played Geno, but he isn't playing Geno just to evaluate him. They draw up game plans, and their game plan isn't going to call for 50 pass plays to evaluate Geno unless that gives them the best chance to win. That was his example...then people just ran with he's playing to win the games.

No shit. He isn't drawing game plans up to lose them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 9 May 2024 - 12:24