Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+16
jetkwondo
Atljet60
danfran
NCgreen12
skop
Hunter07
jamesfyo123
WilliesDad
Blindsidebrick
SackExchange
football51
soj
hobson54
NickSINYC
The Wicker Man
Superman55
20 posters

Jets at Patriots Thursday, October 16, 2014

jamesfyo123
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Jets at Patriots Thursday, October 16, 2014 - Page 9 Empty Re: Jets at Patriots Thursday, October 16, 2014

Post by jamesfyo123 Thu 16 Oct 2014 - 23:47

Superman55 wrote:
    jamesfyo123 wrote:All in all, you've got to be proud of the effort they put forth tonight. They played their butts off.

Agreed.  The red zone execution was just so poor again.
    They lost for the same reasons they've been losing for the most part (except for the SD game and the lack of running last week). The only difference was adequate QB play. Geno is a much different player when he is running well too.

Alas, the RZ offense, the secondary (first TD, last TD), the lack of passing weapons (only 3 or 4 catches by WRs not named Decker), poor/inconsistent offensive guard play, and Mornhinweg's play calling (less so today than in general, but there were several head-scratching moments, the biggest of which was the 2-pt conversion). Brady also did a good job of keeping the pass rush off balance for most of the game.

Tonight was the result of the list above being added to adequate/good QB play (aided by a great rushing attack).
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Jets at Patriots Thursday, October 16, 2014 - Page 9 Empty Re: Jets at Patriots Thursday, October 16, 2014

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 1:06

I wish I could say "well, we looked better. That counts for something, right?"  

But after watching that ending, thinking we were actually gonna pull that out, and we lose on a freakin blocked FG. Folk has got a huge leg. He would've nailed it.

Ugh!!! Sickening. I cannot stand losing to this team. And now, it's official. We're done. At the hands of NE. 1 and freaking 6. Depressing.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 7:21

The Patriots defense is very average. That was another reason we ran roughshod over them. Credit to MM for not abandoning the run. Geno looked OK last night, but I'm still unsure if he's the long term answer. Despite a killer holding penalty, Aboushi looked good. Amaro looks like a good player who's gonna have an occassional mental lapse dropping a ball right in his hands with nobody near him. I still like what he brings, though. I'm trying to find positives here. Decker beat Revis about 3 or 4 times...

I still cannot believe we've lost SIX in a row. I cannot remember the last time I've had to endure this kind of losing streak.
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 7:35

I just got the feeling that Geno was playing too careful, like he's afraid to screw up. His touch on balls
    is just off(2 pt conversion). At this point, he needs to play out the season and develop.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 9:03

well for those rooting for draft position (i can't bring myself to do such, even though i recognize it could be in the long-term best interest), this was about as good of an outcome as you could hope for. the team played hard and stayed in the game right to the last second.

but in the end, it's yet another loss...and a loss to NE.

too many squandered red zone opportunities. you can't have your kicker as the leading scorer and expect to beat the pats. the offensive game plan was pretty good in going with and sticking with the run. but time after time after time, we bogged down in the redzone, usually on stupid mistakes and penalties.

well this will be the last jets game i see until the nov 23 game @ buffalo. at least they didn't get blown out like i expected...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 10:18

Blindsidebrick wrote:I wish I could say "well, we looked better. That counts for something, right?"  

But after watching that ending, thinking we were actually gonna pull that out, and we lose on a freakin blocked FG. Folk has got a huge leg. He would've nailed it.

Ugh!!! Sickening. I cannot stand losing to this team. And now, it's official. We're done. At the hands of NE. 1 and freaking 6. Depressing.

the sickening part is no momentum from this season will carry over into next year, so it doesnt matter how good we look. We're obviously a player or 2 from winning a lot of these games, but next year we'll have all new coaches, schemes, and likely players to fit those schemes...so even when we look good, it doesn't matter. It's a shame, really. This direction could have worked if executed better.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 10:21

The Wicker Man wrote:I just got the feeling that Geno was playing too careful, like he's afraid to screw up. His touch on balls
    is just off(2 pt conversion). At this point, he needs to play out the season and develop.

You dont think the new coach, OC, and QB coach will want their own QB no matter how Geno looks? Think of Tampa and them having no interest in Glennon at all really, even though he's a second year player, because that coaching staff has no stake in that player. The same will happen with Geno, IMO. It's Geno's own fault, but I agree with what you see. I see a shell shocked QB trying not to make mistakes, and you cant be timid in this league. I think he's done and just doing the best he can. We'll have an entirely new direction next year, IMO, on both sides.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 10:22

This is two games in a row where they played better. The holding calls were terrible and of course took potential points off the board.

I have been on Rex for not getting his team prepared and being undisciplined. While they still made a couple of boned headed penalties, I have to admit I was not expecting the team to play hard and competitive. Kudos to Rex cause he had the team ready and it showed so now what?

Finally, you really saw the difference a franchise QB can make. Not taking anything away from Geno but where was this play the last five weeks,i.e., no INT and running.

Positives

OL Play was good after weeks of poor play - what happened?
    QB play - protected the ball
    RB - played well and did any know what happened to Powell - he was seen walking off the field going to locker room.
    Play calling and personnel use - much better but still some head scratchers.
    DL - solid play
    LB - when Barnes and babin came in they had constant pressure... lets hope that continues.

neg
    WR - w/o decker we have none
    O Play calling - please get rid of the gimmick plays and wildcat
    LB - Harris can not cover anyone and we need younger faster LB. Couples ? did he even play?
    Secondary - Wilson suxes, he can not cover anyone. Allens play since SD has been poor he actually looked as bad as wilson if that is possible,
    D Playcall on 3-19 and only rush 3 people - stupid.
    ST - on side kick was stupid also and poorly executed

Summary

I came away feeling better about this team then the last few weeks. I been a supporter of the GM but got to tell you another WR that can catch the ball, run good routes and decent CB, I believe this team would be 3-3 maybe 4-2 ...

NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 10:24

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:I wish I could say "well, we looked better. That counts for something, right?"  

the sickening part is no momentum from this season will carry over into next year, so it doesnt matter how good we look.  We're obviously a player or 2 from winning a lot of these games, but next year we'll have all new coaches, schemes, and likely players to fit those schemes...so even when we look good, it doesn't matter.  It's a shame, really.  This direction could have worked if executed better.

I hear what your saying 55, but check out teams like SF, Philly, & KC when Harbaugh,Kelly & Reid respectively took over. They made lackluster teams look perennial. It will all depend on what coach & what QB will be leading us into '15.  I feel like this team has a strong core but with no leadership. If some how Idzik can find a way to get the right guy, we will be competitive again.

I have high hopes for next year my man. I think we all should. Especially if this ship continues to sink. Gotta start fresh.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 10:47

The Wicker Man wrote:I just got the feeling that Geno was playing too careful, like he's afraid to screw up. His touch on balls

I saw Geno playing somewhat scared, as well. He was trying extra hard not to make a mistake, and you could see it. I liked the way he ran for yards, but he seemed to be waiting for receivers to get open, rather than executing timing patterns with them like the better QB's do. Idzik's got an interesting decision to make with a probable top ten pick. Stick with Geno, and take the best WR, or start over with Mariota?
    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Metjetgal Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 11:12

What can you say, so much, but really nothing. 1-6 says it all. Cooked. I never root for this team to lose, but honestly it's about the draft now. I don't want to go 1-15, but lets make sure we are back next yr. Typical Jets last night.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 12:10

Superman55 wrote:

You dont think the new coach, OC, and QB coach will want their own QB no matter how Geno looks?  Think of Tampa and them having no interest in Glennon at all really, even though he's a second year player, because that coaching staff has no stake in that player.  The same will happen with Geno, IMO.  It's Geno's own fault, but I agree with what you see.  I see a shell shocked QB trying not to make mistakes, and you cant be timid in this league.  I think he's done and just doing the best he can.  We'll have an entirely new direction next year, IMO, on both sides.

Tampa hired a new gm too. Now, I agree that most times a new hc will want his own qb, but Smith can make his case these last 9 games.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 13:23

from espnnewyork.com..................

RISERS

Smith
    1. Geno Smith, quarterback -- It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough to win. Smith didn't throw an interception for only the fifth time in 23 career starts, and he led six scoring drives. He has to get better in the red zone, and he missed the money pass -- the two-point conversion to Jace Amaro -- but there were a lot of positives. Said wide receiver David Nelson, "I thought Geno had his best game. He was in the zone."

2. Chris Ivory, running back -- Welcome back, Chris. Ivory was a non-factor in last Sunday's loss to the Denver Broncos (only 7 rushing yards), but he bounced back in a big way. He rushed for 107 of the team's 218 yards, allowing the Jets to control the ball for an astounding 40 minutes, 54 seconds.

3. Muhammad Wilkerson, defensive end -- He shows up in this category almost every week, but what can you say? The dude is having a fantastic year. He didn't rack up a lot of tackles, but affected the game, recording three quarterback hits and batting down a pass. No doubt, he enjoyed playing against the Patriots' patchwork offensive line.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 14:09

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 14:11

Something Manish Mehta would never tweet.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 17h 17 hours ago
    Beautiful throw. They went right at him RT @richeisen: Geno just dropped a dime on Revis Island.

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 14:58

This may not have been such a bad thing. The team exposed the Pats for who they are. After all, if the Jets suck, and the Pats squeaked by them at home, what does that make the Pats?

But it also doesn't hurt the Jets' draft position.

I was angry, but it may have been the best of all possible outcomes.
    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hunter07 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 15:17

"Through it all, Ryan has been the ultimate company man, a team player willing to make himself look like a fool by defending indefensible front-office moves. ... So, who could blame the coach for being ticked off after coming so close to toppling the one team he loves to hate?"
    Says it all ... he won't be out of work any longer than he wants to. While he might not get an offer as a head-coach - his phone will star ringing the second the NY front office lets him go.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 15:33

Hunter07 wrote:"Through it all, Ryan has been the ultimate company man, a team player willing to make himself look like a fool by defending indefensible front-office moves. ... So, who could blame the coach for being ticked off after coming so close to toppling the one team he loves to hate?"
    Says it all ... he won't be out of work any longer than he wants to. While he might not get an offer as a head-coach - his phone will star ringing the second the NY front office lets him go.

Not really. That's just a quote from Manish Mehta who is ticked off that the front office has shut him out. We went 0-7 in the 2009/2010 draft, and it's looking as if the only player who is going to be a big part of our future from the 2012 draft is Demario Davis(unless Allen can get back on track). Ryan had a HUGE say in personnel under Tannenbaum, and that's why we're paying the price now. Idzik HAD to tear it down and rebuild it properly. I don't view Rex as collateral damage. I view him as one of the main culprits in our decline. He was all for trading away picks for malcontents/aging vets, trading up in the draft, and signing aging players to poor free agent deals. That got him a two year run and a roster that began to decay rapidly after that. He'll get a gig as a DC if he wants it, but I'd be surprised if he got a HC position in the pros. His game management is on par with Herm Edwards, and he has no interest in developing offensive talent.
    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hunter07 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 16:02

Personally I think Rex is a much better coach than his record shows - and getting out of NY would be just what "the doctor ordered" ...
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 17:25

Just a tough loss to take all the way around. I expected the Jets to lose and go 1-6. In fact, I wasn't sure the Jets would even be competitive in this game. But, they played their best game of the season. Three plays cost us the game - the penalty in the red zone that took the TD off the board, the bad punt by Quigley, and the blown coverages by Allen.

I thought Geno honestly played his best game as a Jet. Not statistically, but his decision-making was excellent yesterday. He was throwing the ball extremely well and running it well. I thought the Jets ran the ball well. The game plan on defense was very good. Special Teams played well for the most part. The whole team played pretty well. They looked like a good football team yesterday. But, they are 1-6, so they are not a good football team.

The takeaways from the game are pretty much the same as they have been all year. The problems with this roster are why we lose games. It's pretty much that simple. I thought Rex did a great job coaching the team up for this game. They were well prepared and it showed.

I am sure this sealed Rex's fate as the HC, which is too bad. But it is probably time for a change.
    I still think Idzik needs to take a huge hit for this mess and so far he hasn't, at least not publicly from the owner. That needs to happen. It's hard to understand what Idzik's plan is at this point. He probably deserves more time, but not a lot.

As far as Geno is concerned - you watch him play like that and you see the reasons for optimism. He does have talent. He runs well, he has a good arm, and his accuracy and ball placement is definitely improving. His decision-making last night was really good. And he led the team on two great comeback drives. Yeah, he missed the two point conversion, but that was a tough throw for any QB. He has limited talent around him. We need to see how he develops the rest of the season. And maybe he is what he is now, but he deserves to finish out the season as the starter to see if he improves. To the untrained eye, based on last night, he improved this week. But lets see if that trend continues or he regresses.

If we hire a new coach however, the next coach may want his own QB. And in that case, we are probably drafting one and starting over. Time will tell. But tough day all around for Jet fans. Probably the end of an era and a loss to the Pats is a tough way for it to end for Rex. Rex gave this team some personality. I'll miss that.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 8:48

Superman55 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:that was close

This team is seriously 1 difference maker from being good.  Its too bad.  All these games we lose by 8 points or less I seriously think would go the other way if we had one more game changer on O (a Percy Harvin, DJax, Sproles, Sammy type).

I seriously think we'd be looking at this season differently with a DJax, Cooks, Maclin, or Sproles on this roster.

Thank you John for tracking my thoughts and executing on the few good ideas I have. Much appreciated. Feel free to give Superman55 a shout out at the presser for getting the ball rolling on this deal.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 22 Oct 2014 - 17:53

This is why I like this site so much. When the writers on the Jets beat put even half the effort this guy puts in, then I'll start giving them the benefit of the doubt.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/10/new-york-jets-passing-game-breakdown-3-3-geno/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024 - 10:04