Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+6
NickSINYC
SackExchange
Pointdexter
football51
Sarge
GratefulJet
10 posters

Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade

Poll

What's your Jets Draft Re-Grade

[ 0 ]
    Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Bar_left0%Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Bar_left0%Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Bar_left20%Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Bar_left20%Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 5
    Poll closed
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Empty Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade

Post by GratefulJet Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 13:55

New York Jets

[th]Round[/th][th]Pick[/th][th]Position[/th][th]Player[/th][th]College[/th]
    (1)18SCalvin PryorLouisville
    (2)49TEJace AmaroTexas Tech
    (3)80CBDexter McDougleMaryland
    (4)104WRJalen SaundersOklahoma
    (4)115WRShaq EvansUCLA
    (4)137GDakota DozierFurman
    (5)154LBJeremiah GeorgeIowa State
    (6)195CBBrandon DixonNW Missouri State
    (6)209WRQuincy EnunwaNebraska
    (6)210DEI.K. EnemkpaliLouisiana Tech
    (6)213QBTajh BoydClemson
    (7)233OLBTrevor ReillyUtah

Post-draft grade: B

Summary: There is going to be a misconception about this dropped grade. Let me dispel that quickly, because I hear "struggled" when this player's rookie year is described, pretty much all the time. The truth: Calvin Pryor was just fine as a rookie. He was better than a league-average safety, and in a league where safeties and corners look bad all the time as they adjust to the speed and technical ability of receivers, tight ends and backs running at them -- remember Dee Milliner's rookie year, Jets fans? -- Pryor wasn't remotely bad. He just wasn't a star, had his ups and downs in coverage, and assuming he improves, he can be a really good player. He wasn't a bad pick. Jace Amaro caught 38 passes (tied for second on the team) and if he can ever find chemistry with whomever is at QB, can be a good one. Dexter McDougle got hurt, so that's just bad luck.

Where this draft suffers is New York simply didn't find even the hint of a playmaker at wide receiver when so many others did. They took Pryor when Brandin Cooks was available (excusable), McDougle instead of John Brown or Donte Moncrief, then both Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans in front or Martavis Bryant. Heck yes, this is total hindsight, but that's what an early re-grade is. I wrote then, "I thought the Jets did a nice job with my one question being whether they really added a player in the passing game that will scare defenses." Amaro is a start, and a trade for Percy Harvin that came too late helped, but there was some bad luck and missed opportunities. There's nothing really to be said yet for the many late lottery ticket picks they had. The fact that the team struggled so much doesn't help, either.

New grade: C+

Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Empty Re: Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade

Post by Sarge Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 14:04

Too soon to tell. If Evans, McDougle, and Dozier turn out to be good players, it's an A draft, if those three turn out to suck, it's a D draft

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade Empty Re: Mel Kiper's 2104 Jets Draft Re-Grade

Post by football51 Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 14:10

Didn't see a "too early to tell" option. That would be my pick. I'm interested in seeing Pryor play closer than 20+ yards away from the LOS(which shouldn't be an issue with Bowles as I doubt he has a favorite to keep on the field like Rex did with Landry). I'm interested in seeing Amaro play more than 30% of the snaps, and it would be nice to see McDougle, Evans, and Enunwa play at all before I give a true grade. I also like what I saw out of IK, and he should see more time now with Pace and Babin likely goners. Reilly should see more time too, and he's already a core special teams player(can't ask/expect more from a 7th rounder).

Just noticed what Sarge said........ interested to see if Dozier develops as well.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 14:25

I just put it up there because Kiper had re-graded it, so of course while it's too soon to tell in the long run, it's certainly not too soon to give it a grade after one year, unless the first year in the NFL doesn't count?  (Tell that to Odell Beckham Jr.)

Kiper was kinder to Pryor than I would have been. I thought Pryor was supposed to play FS, but he was a disaster in CF on deep pass plays. He did well coming up to support the run. He's a pure SS, but #18 overall is awful high to take a SS.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 14:32

GratefulJet wrote:I just put it up there because Kiper had re-graded it, so of course while it's too soon to tell in the long run, it's certainly not too soon to give it a grade after one year, unless the first year in the NFL doesn't count?  (Tell that to Odell Beckham Jr.)

Kiper was kinder to Pryor than I would have been. I thought Pryor was supposed to play FS, but he was a disaster in CF on deep pass plays. He did well coming up to support the run. He's a pure SS, but #18 overall is awful high to take a SS.

I think Pryor can develop those skills. He's a very good athlete with a baseball/basketball background as well, but he shouldn't have been thrown to the wolves right out of the gate. He should've been in the box with Allen( Allen was developing nicely in 2013 until Rex got Reed and that was the end of that. Hopefully, his confidence isn't shot with the cb move and being stunted with little playing time.) in CF. Landry should've been brought off the bench for Ryan's three safety looks.
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 14:57

Too many players in that draft that fall under the category of "keep your fingers crossed and hope they maybe develop" to give it anything more than a C-.

Personally I gave it a D. I think Amaro will be a decent to good pro, but not dominant. Pryor is nothing more than a in-the-box safety and that is not worth the 18th pick, not even close.

The trio of receivers are three guys who won't be in the NFL in three seasons.

I do blame Idzik for the McDougle pick. He was undersized and injury-prone in college. Not exactly a good bet for durability in the NFL. He does flash potential for cover skills but it was, at best, a gamble to take him in round 3. A gamble that bit him in the butt.

Dozier was a nice pick for a middle rounder but we'll see.

In a draft where there seemed to be DAY 1 PLAY MAKERS EVERYWHERE, Idzik (with the most picks) got none of them. Beckham makes the Giants a super bowl contended next year. Benjamin and Evans and Matthews are already stars in this league.

The third round produced John Brown, Tre Mason, and Donte Moncrief among others.

In this perspective, 2014 draft was a D and major failure.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 15:01

I think that it is too early to tell. Maybe I am naive, but I still have hope McDougle can develop and replace Kyle Wilson in the nickel.

Otherwise, unless Shaq Evans is a huge surprise, Amaro at TE1 and Pryor at SS1, with maybe McDougle as CB3, is all out of a dozen picks.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 15:56

I know it's Kipers job and I understand him putting out the new grades but it is too early to accurately judge it. I would like to see a regrade 2 years from now.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 16:50

I.K. Enemkpali, Dakota Dozier, Shaq Evans, Dexter McDougle. Anyone who thinks they've got these players nailed down is guessing. They've all got potential to be contributors by next season. The jury is still out.

Pryor is a mystery. I could see him breaking out this year.

Amaro might've been the best pick. He can play. As long as he's got someone who can throw him the ball.

Grading this draft right now doesn't make sense to me.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 16:49

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 17:57

Before I toss all last years draft guides away, I read about the 12 players that Idzik drafted, and only McDougle CB was not mentioned because of injury. Several were team captains.

The biggest surprise is Trevor Reilly OLB 6'5"/225 from Utah. He's now 26 because of a Mormon Mission, so teams passed him over and we snagged him in the 7th round. He was rated to go in the 3rd round by several draft experts. He's an animal on ST and was just starting to look good. Great steal by Idzik in the 7th round.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 18:12

Of all the "too soon to tell" rookies, Dozier is the one HYATT™ expects to really take the leap in 2015.
    I suspect the only reason he didn't see more time is because Marty didn't fully trust him in pass protection with his overly complicated offensive system and the multitude of calls a guard has to be able to handle.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 18:46

GratefulJet wrote:I just put it up there because Kiper had re-graded it, so of course while it's too soon to tell in the long run, it's certainly not too soon to give it a grade after one year, unless the first year in the NFL doesn't count?  (Tell that to Odell Beckham Jr.)

he was and is a box safety, coverage was and is a problem for him taking wrong angles, etc.  so the eval was ok..in my book.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 4:28