Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+5
NickSINYC
cysporsche
Superman55
Sarge
football51
9 posters

Senior Bowl News and Notes

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Senior Bowl News and Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Senior Bowl News and Notes

Post by NickSINYC Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 16:39

New York Jets @nyjets · 2m 2 minutes ago
    Senior Bowl Report: @JFowlerESPN assesses the QB play in Mobile.

WATCH- http://bit.ly/1CKXkI2
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 19:33

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN · 1m 1 minute ago
    Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson won the Senior Bowl Outstanding Performance award given to the best QB at practices this week. #nyj
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 21:33

Sammie Coates is the guy to watch for me. he's blazing (sub 4.4 speed), 6'2 Auburn product that had too many drops in college and had some injury issues, but didnt have any drops in practice this week erasing some of the doubts on film. I wanna see what he does when the bullets are flying. He has raw talent for sure to go with size. Also has a short memory because ive seen him drop one and then come right back and make a monster play. I heard him interviewed this morning and he's a confident dude that admits to having dropped some he shouldnt have but that does impact his confidence at all. He said he doesnt feel he has anything to hide from scouts and wanted a head start on receiving NFL coaching, which is why he went to the senior bowl. Im rooting for him because he seems to have the right attitude.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 21:50

Coates is a very good WR, saw him play in person. 3 times this season. He's a top 50 draft pick to me. The other Auburn WR, Duke Williams , will be a 1st rd pick next year
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 9:40

Sarge wrote:Coates is a very good WR, saw him play in person. 3 times this season. He's a top 50 draft pick to me. The other Auburn WR, Duke Williams , will be a 1st rd pick next year

He's definitely a guy I think is in the second tier of WRs after Cooper, White, and Parker - where after that is anyone's guess. But if we don't land one of the WRs rd 1, he's a name I'll be watching later in the draft. Sirius has been reporting from the senior bowl all week and KC and Cleveland have reportedly been all over him (which obviously means nothing as I could see the Titans or Raiders as a match for him). He'll be a name to watch who can show some big play flashes for sure.
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 10:30

Superman55 wrote:
    Sarge wrote:Coates is a very good WR, saw him play in person. 3 times this season. He's a top 50 draft pick to me. The other Auburn WR, Duke Williams , will be a 1st rd pick next year

He's definitely a guy I think is in the second tier of WRs after Cooper, White, and Parker - where after that is anyone's guess.  But if we don't land one of the WRs rd 1, he's a name I'll be watching later in the draft.  Sirius has been reporting from the senior bowl all week and KC and Cleveland have reportedly been all over him (which obviously means nothing as I could see the Titans or Raiders as a match for him).  He'll be a name to watch who can show some big play flashes for sure.

Not to be a broken record on this but DGB should be in any and all "1st tier of WR's" list. A man who stands 6'6, 225 and runs a sub 4.5 belongs in any top group.

Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 10:39

On another note, the talent at the senior bowl this year is so underwhelming it's not even funny. The QB's are all garbage apparently. Garrett Grayson is said to be the best of the bunch but may not be better than a 4th round talent. The huge disappointment in the group has to be Petty. I really thought he would dominate this group of av QB's. According to everything I've read, he's not even the best one. This just makes it that much more dramatic that we lost our position to draft one of the top two (Mariota and Winston). It's a two QB draft and we lost those sweepstakes when Rex went all out to win the last two out of three.

More senior bowl: I was looking fwd to seeing Rashad Greene at WR but he pulled out. I think he's going to drop to the top of round 3 and be a steal. Nothing special in t-shirt and shorts, but get him on the field and he's just quicker and better than those around him. He's the kind of player that drops at this time of year and then once the season starts next year everyone is asking how he dropped so low, considering his game film.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 11:19

After the combines it will be interesting to see if Dorial Green-Beckham WR 6'6"/225 with 4.43 speed will still be the 5th ranked WR behind Cooper, White, Parker & Coates ?

Remember or trying to forget how Steven Hill rose to the top after the Combines ?

Beckham is tall, fast and has good hands. He was named H.S. player of the year in 2011, and was 2nd string SEC All-star @ Missouri before being dismissed from the team and heading to Oklahoma.

Why are so many WR's premadonna's & head cases ? What happened to the Jerry Rice's of the World ?

Last years WR's class might have turned out to be the best ever; however, there is some pretty good WR's in this class as well. I still think we need another star WR, because we still don't know what's going to happen with Percy Harvin's 10.5 million contract and his multiple health issues.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 11:41

Speaking of WRs, is Devon Smith (OSU) this years Beckham? Heard Kiper go on about him this am, and said his ability to take the top off of a defense is special.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 12:30

Old#15 wrote:Speaking of WRs, is Devon Smith (OSU) this years Beckham?  Heard Kiper go on about him this am, and said his ability to take the top off of a defense is special.

Smith and Beckham are wild cards right now in the WR class. Smith needs to answer route running concerns while Beckham needs to address character concerns. Both could go anywhere between 10-35 as of right now IMO. Coates to me is what Sarge said, a top 50 project. I think we can target him rd 2 maybe even trading up from rd 3. White and Beckham likely go rd 1, but we'll see.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 15:42

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 15:58

I wish the game was on one of the networks or ESPN instead of the NFLN
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 16:48

Charles Davis @CFD22 · 2m 2 minutes ago
    Oregon State CB Steven Nelson is off to a terrific start. 3 PBU's so far..."Mighty Mouse" is quick, fast, and tough!

Charles Davis @CFD22 · 24m 24 minutes ago
    Tre Jackson, G-Florida State living up to reputation/practice play all week. He can play with power, positioning and in space. #SeniorBowl

Charles Davis @CFD22 · 26m 26 minutes ago
    Cameron Artis-Payne, RB Auburn showing run/receiving ability on first drive of Senior Bowl...good power/vision.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 22:09

NickSINYC wrote:I wish the game was on one of the networks or ESPN instead of the NFLN

Nick, I'm with you, the NFL channel sucks ! daaamn that game was hard to watch, UGLY ! I like that Yale RB / FB he's a tough kid but won't make it in the NFL. I was not impressed with this game, especially the QB's.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 10:16

Grayson would look amazing in jets green and white. A lot of options at QB in this draft.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 10:41

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:Grayson would look amazing in jets green and white.  A lot of options at QB in this draft.

Agree, but I would like him to sit and learn for a year or two; I'm tired of seeing QBs who aren't ready being given the keys. I honestly think we have had two QBs permanently scarred by playing too early. I'm really interested to see what impact that Gailey will have on our QBs, regardless of who starts.
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 10:55

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:Grayson would look amazing in jets green and white.  A lot of options at QB in this draft.

No offense, but the entire narrative of senior bowl week was how mediocre (and that's being polite) this group of QB prospects are behind Mariota and Winston.

There were high hopes for Petty, and he had a decent enough game, but reportedly was not good all week in practice. Most of the QB's in the senior bowl will either be late round picks or not drafted at all.

This is not the year to go QB shopping in the draft. I do like Grayson, but not before the 4th round.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 10:59

Old#15 wrote:

Agree, but I would like him to sit and learn for a year or two; I'm tired of seeing QBs who aren't ready being given the keys.  I honestly think we have had two QBs permanently scarred by playing too early.  I'm really interested to see what impact that Gailey will have on our QBs, regardless of who starts.

I could not agree more #15. I honestly feel that would have helped Geno alot sitting and learning from Mark or another proven veteran such as Vick as they have similar styles. But i felt it hurt Geno that Vick wasn't passionate about the game anymore. (It doesn't help the fact that Geno doesn't have it between the ears either when the pressure is on) That IMHO, is where the new regime will make a conscious effort to surround whom ever is the young QB with competetive & ambitious veterans.

There are options at veteran in which they also want to compete to be starters, Fitzpatrick, Hoyer & a guy like Ryan Mallett to sit behind them. Grayson looks like he can be a steal in this draft.

My QB's after MAriota & Winston are in this exact order:

Bryce Petty
    Garrett Grayson
    Brandon Bridge
    Sean Mannion
    Shane Carden
    Blake Sims

NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 11:21

Pointdexter wrote:

No offense, but the entire narrative of senior bowl week was how mediocre (and that's being polite) this group of QB prospects are behind Mariota and Winston.

There were high hopes for Petty, and he had a decent enough game, but reportedly was not good all week in practice.  Most of the QB's in the senior bowl will either be late round picks or not drafted at all.  

This is not the year to go QB shopping in the draft.  I do like Grayson, but not before the 4th round.

Here's an article i came across yesterday morning regarding Grayson from the National Football post.  Interesting take

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Prospect-Focus-Garrett-Grayson.html

Grayson has late 1st round potential early 2nd.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 17:03

 Corey Griffin retweeted

Conor Orr @ConorTOrr
    · 24h 24 hours ago
    New #Jets GM Mike Maccagnan made his way down to the senior bowl for game day, on the sidelines at Ladd-Peebles now.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 4 Feb 2015 - 23:20

Just finally watched this game (been sitting on my DVR) -

My favorites -

Cobb RB LSU - great cut back runner
    Kouandjio OG Bama - opened huge holds
    Coates WR Auburn - big, strong, fast
    Abdullah RB Nebraska - can catch and run, love this kid
    Smith OT PSU - opened huge holes for Abdullah, love his tenacity.
    Rollins CB Miami OH - he's going to be a steal of this draft, gets his hands on too many passes to not be special. I think a great DB coach will make him a great CB. I think this kid is one to follow.
    Varga FB Yale can do some things and would be awesome in the WCO.

Didn't love any of the QBs
    Clemmings OT Pitts is too raw
    I want CB Gunter Miami to press better, but at 6'1 he stuck with the WRs...great tackler
    Mason OG GTech cant pass protect and has short arms
    RB David Johnson North Iowa runs too upright for me, like watching Stark for Greenbay when he just doesnt look like he'll be elite, but is a nice change of pace back.
    Lockett WR K-St doesnt look special to me (doesnt have elite speed)
    Hall WR UCF has some Jordan Matthews in his game, catches everything but doesnt have elite speed

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 2 May 2024 - 6:31