Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+9
NCgreen12
Old#15
SackExchange
cysporsche
Superman55
Blindsidebrick
GratefulJet
Sarge
The Wicker Man
13 posters

Mock Drafts

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Mock Drafts - Page 2 Empty Re: Mock Drafts

Post by NickSINYC Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 15:21

GratefulJet wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:GratefulJet, If you live in Chicago you should be there @ 7am and get ready to have a fantastic day watching Chris Berhman, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay & Chucky Gruden running around. With the draft rotating to Dallas & L.A., you don't know when it will be back. It should be on everyone's bucket list.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Cy, I'll have to look it up, but isn't the first round a Thursday or Friday night event?

The 1st round is Thurs. April 30 the 2nd and 3rd rounds Fri May 1 and the 4th through 7th on Sat May 2nd
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 15:37

GratefulJet wrote:
    NCgreen12 wrote:If Mariotta is there when we pick I'd be shocked if we didn't take up.

SackExchange wrote:Colon is a run blocker first. Giacomini has been remarkably underwhelming. Not awful, but at best a serviceable starter you can stick next to a stud.

Sack - not that Profootball Focus stats are always correct but the if you believe their ratings Fergy and Giacomini are rated 35th and 51st among NFL tackles and Aboushi and Colon are rated 43rd and 66th among Guards. The ratings cover pass and run blocking, screen blocks, QB hits and sacks allowed as well as penalties committed. I think there's probably lots of improvement there. Mangold was the highest rated center.
    When your own fans stop calling you Brick and start calling you Fergy, it's time to take long look at the man in the mirror, LOL. 

It's virtual heresy around here to badmouth d'Brickashaw, but he has been fading big time for a few years now. Swapping Aboushi for Iupati might help revive him somewhat, but it is worth noting that Iupati is a much better run blocker than pass protector himself.  I don't think we can replace Brick yet, but neither can we count on him the way we used to. He's lost a step or two and will continue to do so.

Those stats support my contention that the OL is pretty awful on both wings, and Maccagnan should make improvement there our first priority.

Fergy? Evil or Very Mad

Well, my screen name probably gives it away, but I don't think Brick was the problem last year. I thought he and Mangold were solid as usual, and Aboushi is worth keeping to compete in camp at guard. Mangold and Ferguson aren't in their prime anymore, but still starter-quality. Outside of that, our line play left a lot to be desired, especially in pass protection. Everyone wants to blame Geno, but he got hammered too much, too quickly last season. Geno made bad decisions and was guilty, too, but that's not the entire picture.

I believe FA and the draft should, and will, be used to upgrade the guard and possibly RT positions.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 15:47

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    NCgreen12 wrote:If Mariotta is there when we pick I'd be shocked if we didn't take up.

SackExchange wrote:Colon is a run blocker first. Giacomini has been remarkably underwhelming. Not awful, but at best a serviceable starter you can stick next to a stud.

Sack - not that Profootball Focus stats are always correct but the if you believe their ratings Fergy and Giacomini are rated 35th and 51st among NFL tackles and Aboushi and Colon are rated 43rd and 66th among Guards. The ratings cover pass and run blocking, screen blocks, QB hits and sacks allowed as well as penalties committed. I think there's probably lots of improvement there. Mangold was the highest rated center.
    When your own fans stop calling you Brick and start calling you Fergy, it's time to take long look at the man in the mirror, LOL. 

It's virtual heresy around here to badmouth d'Brickashaw, but he has been fading big time for a few years now. Swapping Aboushi for Iupati might help revive him somewhat, but it is worth noting that Iupati is a much better run blocker than pass protector himself.  I don't think we can replace Brick yet, but neither can we count on him the way we used to. He's lost a step or two and will continue to do so.

Those stats support my contention that the OL is pretty awful on both wings, and Maccagnan should make improvement there our first priority.

Fergy? Evil or Very Mad

Well, my screen name probably gives it away, but I don't think Brick was the problem last year. I thought he and Mangold were solid as usual, and Aboushi is worth keeping to compete in camp at guard. Mangold and Ferguson aren't in their prime anymore, but still starter-quality. Outside of that, our line play left a lot to be desired, especially in pass protection. Everyone wants to blame Geno, but he got hammered too much, too quickly last season. Geno made bad decisions and was guilty, too, but that's not the entire picture.  

I believe FA and the draft should, and will, be used to upgrade the guard and possibly RT positions.

I think Mangold and Brick are both on the downside but Brick is much further down the slope and I see no one behind him I would trust playing as I do with Mangold. So at some point early this draft Bricks eventual replacement needs to be drafted.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 16:17

GratefulJet wrote:The further you move down the draft, the more uncertainty you are introducing. Once you get to #18, it is almost impossible to guess the pick correctly. Did anyone have us taking Calvin Pryor last year? The Giants upset that applecart when they "reached" for ODB, who only turned out to be the best player taken, at #12. Given how wrong the mocks are, I almost treat them now as a negative indicator--whoever they agree on for us will be the guy I least expect us to take.

This year, the turning points in the draft will be even higher, as there are not, nor will be, any consensus picks past the #1-2 spots, if that. That uncertainty will make this the most intriguing first round in many years, because literally anything can happen. I live in Chicago, and am tempted to attend this one, even though the idea of actually going to the draft has always seemed like a total waste of time.

As for Cooper, I am trying to decide which former Jet WR he most reminds me of, at least if he has a NFL career that resembles his college years. Kind of thinking Wesley Walker right now. That's not to say I want us to take him, although I wouldn't completely hate the pick. I just think our new GM should and probably will address the fundamentals of the team, and that starts with the OL. That also happens to be the one positional area where post-season combine and pro day workouts actually can inform the projections of these young men, as you get a chance to compare their various skill sets on a level playing field and make some reasonable projections about their future abilities.

So I'll be watching guys like Ronnie Stanley, T.J. Clemmings, and La'el Collins, as I think one of them might end up in the top 6 before it's all said and done. The guy I think we will take is Andrus Peat, who declared for the draft earlier this month after saying earlier in the season he was likely to remain at Stanford another year. He seems to have the ridiculous physical gifts you rarely find and the intelligence (I mean, he went to freakin' Stanford, ok?) to become a top OT with good coaching--he was smart enough to realize that staying in school another year would just expose him to a career-killing injury. He clearly understands risk:reward, and I want guys like that on the line, where split-second decision-making is critical. We've had more than enough stoopid starting on the offensive line for awhile now.

Mike Mayock has been talking up T.J. Clemmings on the NFL network. He said that he expects him to fly up draft boards.

Mike Iupati is going to be 28 this year, and he has some miles on him. He's a much better run blocker than pass protector. I'd be leery of going over three years for him on a deal. The 49er's have been locking up their young players for years, but they have never tried to resign him. It could be similar to Faneca and the Steelers. They had offered him a two year deal to stay, but we gave him a five year deal. He ended up only lasting two seasons. We need to draft/develop young tackles. I like Aboushi and am interested in seeing what we have in Dozier.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 16:19

Well, in a weak OL draft, and holes at CB, QB, WR, S, OG, RT, and OLB...I don't know how early I'd take a LT unless it is truly BPA when the pick comes up.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 10:51

both Guards need an upgrade.....especially on the right side.......that in turn should help Giacomi (sp). Left side is a hole and it had both Brick and Mangold compromised in pass protection. I'm no expert on the position, but it looked to me that Brick would get caught cheating to the inside trying to cover the LG, therefore leaving him vulnerable to some outside rushes. I'd love to hear from those in the know more about the OL.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 17:41

Seaver, Remember us fans ran Matt Slauson LG out of here on the a-train ! I would love Lupati but so does every other team. Here's what we have :

Freeman C 6'5/291 - He held his own when Mango went down. Not a bad back-up, needs bulk & strength.
    Mangold C 6'4"/307 - He has'nt seen the scale below 320 this year. He was flabby this year.
    Colon RG 6'3"/315 - He's only 31 but commits too many penalties.
    Aboushi LG 6'5"/308 - Why replace him now, he's going to be a good guard. I like Oday !
    Johnson OL 6'5"/297 - I know nothing about him ?
    Dozier OL 6'4"/312 - He was a stud LT for Furman (middle size College), he good be our future RG.
    Ferguson LT 6'6"/310 - At 30 I think Brick has 2 more years.
    Giacomini RT 6'7"/318 - I don't think he was an improvement over Howard, but Howard received stupid money, so wise move. Not sold on Breno !
    Ijalana T 6'4"/322 - The unknown here ? He was a 2nd round pick by the Colts, and they hated to lose him.
    Winters G 6'4"/320 - If healthy, I see Brian competing with Dozier for RG
    Qvale T 6'7"/315 - Big Nebraska kid, showed signs in camp.

Seaver, IMO, I don't want to use our #6 pick on an OL. I think Erving, Peat or someone good will be there @ 37. Let's use #6 if a QB drops, or Cooper WR. We need more speed & weapons.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 15:58

by no means do I suggest an OL pick with #6.........but rather I'm saying that via draft and/or FA they need plug and play Guards.......what they have isn't getting it done (Colon/Winters) or not yet ready to hand a job (Aboushi). I know you can't have all 5 filled with top dollar guys, but at least the Right side needs an upgrade over Colon......and the left side I cannot trust nobs to protect the blind side. For now, Winters/Aboushi can make for depth.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 30 Jan 2015 - 15:46

Latest mock from draftcountdown.com.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Sat 31 Jan 2015 - 12:29

I guess it depends what we do in FA, but going D scares me and I really hope the Pats don't get Gurley.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 2 Feb 2015 - 17:40

Interesting mock. Totally ignores the secondary but has a lot of good athletes. Also no 6th round pick so assumes we let Harvin walk.

Mock Draft
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 6:30

NickSINYC wrote:Interesting mock. Totally ignores the secondary but has a lot of good athletes. Also no 6th round pick so assumes we let Harvin walk.

Mock Draft

With Parker at #1 I can understand letting Harvin walk, plus have that extra cap space to sign a DB or two.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 6:52

As polished as Cooper is, Parker seems to be higher ceiling, especially in red zone and other high leverage situations. His leaping, high-point, wide catch radius ability is just off the charts. If he demonstrates a real commitment to working hard and taking coaching to get the maximum out of his natural ability, I can easily understand ranking him 1st amongst WRs in this draft, and the kind of guy a team like the Jets would go after. It's like landing an ace starting pitcher--you move everyone else on the staff down a notch, and the whole rotation instantly gets better at every position. Same with the WR corps.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 8:24

GratefulJet wrote:As polished as Cooper is, Parker seems to be higher ceiling, especially in red zone and other high leverage situations. His leaping, high-point, wide catch radius ability is just off the charts. If he demonstrates a real commitment to working hard and taking coaching to get the maximum out of his natural ability, I can easily understand ranking him 1st amongst WRs in this draft, and the kind of guy a team like the Jets would go after. It's like landing an ace starting pitcher--you move everyone else on the staff down a notch, and the whole rotation instantly gets better at every position. Same with the WR corps.

+1. I hear that he is dedicated to his craft, so the hard work apparently is there. A guy with his skillset (catching radius, leaping ability, high-pointing the ball) all would help a young QB, which we have in Smith plus a drafted guy in the 2nd like Hundley. One question I have is what was the injury that delayed the start of his final season at Louisville?
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 12:16

With Johnny Manziel's entry into rehab capping off a year + of bad off the field behavior, does this impact Winston's draft position? I realize that Winston has the better physical package, but sometimes the off the field stuff overrides the ability both in how the player is perceived and their performance on the field.
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 13:09

While I like as much anyone in looking at as many mock drafts as possible it's still just too early to tell. The Combine always plays such an important part when guys excel or negatively expose their lack of speed (biggest reason a player drops).

With that said, if I had to bet right now I'd say our first pick will be one of the three OLB's - Gregory, Ray, Beasley. It's a definite need and we are lacking big time with speed at the OLB position not only to rush the passer from the edge but also covering the short and intermediate pass plays in the middle of the field. Pace, Harris and Coples might be the slowest trio of linebackers (aside from Davis) in the league.

My guess is both QB's will be gone, Cooper will be a Raiders and it might be a couple picks early for an offensive lineman to come off the board.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 13:09

Old#15 wrote:With Johnny Manziel's entry into rehab capping off a year + of bad off the field behavior, does this impact Winston's draft position?  I realize that Winston has the better physical package, but sometimes the off the field stuff overrides the ability both in how the player is perceived and their performance on the field.

JMO when it comes to QBs talent trumps off field problems. Someone will take him very early.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 13:46

NCgreen12 wrote:While I like as much anyone in looking at as many mock drafts as possible it's still just too early to tell. The Combine always plays such an important part when guys excel or negatively expose their lack of speed (biggest reason a player drops).

With that said, if I had to bet right now I'd say our first pick will be one of the three OLB's - Gregory, Ray, Beasley.  It's a definite need and we are lacking big time with speed at the OLB position not only to rush the passer from the edge but also covering the short and intermediate pass plays in the middle of the field. Pace, Harris and Coples might be the slowest trio of linebackers (aside from Davis) in the league.  

My guess is both QB's will be gone, Cooper will be a Raiders and it might be a couple picks early for an offensive lineman to come off the board.

If I had my choice, and it is based mostly on what I have read, Shane Ray would be the choice of the three OLB's listed. One analyst (Bucky Brooks) characterizes Ray, and I'm paraphrasing here as a relentless alpha male in a dynamic athletic physical package. Violent, active hands, very fast and powerful. Potential pro bowler.

That kind of pass rushing force in combination with what we have in Mo, Richardson and Coples would give QBs nightmares. You're right though, it is way too early to tell.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 14:51

Old#15 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:As polished as Cooper is, Parker seems to be higher ceiling, especially in red zone and other high leverage situations. His leaping, high-point, wide catch radius ability is just off the charts. If he demonstrates a real commitment to working hard and taking coaching to get the maximum out of his natural ability, I can easily understand ranking him 1st amongst WRs in this draft, and the kind of guy a team like the Jets would go after. It's like landing an ace starting pitcher--you move everyone else on the staff down a notch, and the whole rotation instantly gets better at every position. Same with the WR corps.

+1.  I hear that he is dedicated to his craft, so the hard work apparently is there.  A guy with his skillset (catching radius, leaping ability, high-pointing the ball) all would help a young QB, which we have in Smith plus a drafted guy in the 2nd like Hundley.  One question I have is what was the injury that delayed the start of his final season at Louisville?  

If I remember correctly, it was a foot injury.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 17:07

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024 - 17:20