Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+13
LIJETFAN
Blindsidebrick
danfran
NYJETSDAN16
HYATT™
Lakerfan1980
Metjetgal
The Wicker Man
NickSINYC
Superman55
cysporsche
SackExchange
football51
17 posters

Steelers at Jets 1PM Sunday Nov. 9th, 2014

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Steelers at Jets 1PM Sunday Nov. 9th, 2014 - Page 5 Empty Re: Steelers at Jets 1PM Sunday Nov. 9th, 2014

Post by football51 Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 16:44

· Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI 1m 1 minute ago

Nick Mangold was asked about this ~~> https://vine.co/v/Oi7FdV59tnI ... Mangold called it "a dirty play." #jets #steelers

danfran
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Steelers at Jets 1PM Sunday Nov. 9th, 2014 - Page 5 Empty Re: Steelers at Jets 1PM Sunday Nov. 9th, 2014

Post by danfran Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 16:48

Metjetgal wrote:Gee great win. 7 weeks to late. Hope they don't win more then 3 this yr. Team needs to pretty much be torn down.
    Would be a bit funny if the Jets even screw that up, the draft pick I mean.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 17:04

The Steelers were a bumbling circus act today, and Big Ben was the Bearded Lady. Some credit goes to the Jets defense, who played pretty well overall today. But a lot of it was Pittsburgh playing poorly today. Couldn't get in sync at all.

Jarrett played out of his mind today. I would like to see another few games where he shows up like that. Maybe he can step in with Pryor next year.

Babin tackled Ben late, and in the knees. I get why they were pissed. Babin was the only one who didn't hear the whistle? Hmmm. A truly objective Jets fan has to call BS on that.  

I'm completely unsure how to feel right now. I always love the Jets winning, especially against a team we seemingly NEVER beat. But I want Marcus Mariota, and this doesn't help.
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 17:11

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:We have to root hard for the Raiders today.  Who knows, maybe it's upset central today.
    I agree with Sack, today was simply fools gold. We need to land that top pick in '15 in order to get #MARCUSMARIOTA
    2 little known facts, which HYATT™ has been tracking for a decade now.

1.) Somewhere in Weeks 2-6, every year, there is ALWAYS a MAJOR upset week where at least 5-6 teams pull an upset and 3-4 of them will be HUGE upsets, like the Jets beating the Steelers today.
    The trick is to spot the tendency, which we have gotten pretty good at and almost always get most of the upsets when others are missing on them.
    It occurred in Week 2 this year, though not quite as dramatically so as in years past.

2.) Somewhere in Weeks 10-14 there is always a minor upset week where there are 4-5 upsets and 2-3 of them will be big ones.
    Thursday CLE, who didn't have a prayer, beat CIN (-6.5).
    Today the NJJ beat PIT (-4) & SF won in the NOS Super Dome (-5.5), where the Saints had a 19 game consecutive win streak going.
    That's already 3.
    If even (1-2) of these come to pass;
    (all home teams favored to win easily & by large spreads too)
    NYG beat SEA (-9.5)
    St.L beats AZ (-7)
    CHI beats GB (-8.5)
    CAR beats PHI (-7)

the minor upset week will have come early, in Week 10 this year, just as the MAJOR upset week did in Week 2.

Last edited by HYATT™ on Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 23:45; edited 1 time in total
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 17:18

LOVE yer new avatar gif, NickSINYC. bounce
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 17:32

One other thing, that Vick TD pass to Graham was a pretty impressive throw. I mean, that was a damn impressive throw with tight coverage. Vick can still throw an amazing deep ball. Graham might be a deep option for us in the future.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 18:01

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 18:34

Yikes, go to our old Scout board, most of those so called fans are pissed off the Jets won ! Being a Jet fan all my life, I have never seen such negativity towards the Jets like this season. I suffer as a Jet fan like everyone else, but spewing hate on a sports board is crazy ! To this day, I think the Jets are closer to being good to great next year with good decisions from Idzik who will be back as our GM.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 18:44

Still two gaping holes that need to be addressed before next year. There needs to be a young potential franchise QB drafted, and there needs to be a legit #1/2 CB to pair with Milliner brought in, either by draft, FA, or trade. I'd work Pryor in at SS with Jarrett at FS, and McDougle at nickel.

Address those two big holes, and this team is pretty solid. Some depth issues at OL and LB, maybe WR, but overall, a solid group.

I was kind of hoping for the team to bottom out for the draft pick, but I'm not mad they won.
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 19:08

Somebody really needs to make a gif of THOR giving Mitchell the ol' Hammer Throw today.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000425503/article/jets-nick-mangold-flips-mike-mitchell-on-dirty-play
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 22:03

HYATT™ wrote:Somebody really needs to make a gif of THOR giving Mitchell the ol' Hammer Throw today.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000425503/article/jets-nick-mangold-flips-mike-mitchell-on-dirty-play

I don't know why anyone would test Thor. Mangold is country strong. That flip throw was hilarious.

With that said, Pittsburgh had a legit beef with us. Babin went knucklehead charging Big Ben after the whistle, hitting him in the knees. You don't hit guys there after the whistle is blown. Especially their franchise QB. Babin was a punk on that play.
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 23:48

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    With that said, Pittsburgh had a legit beef with us. Babin went knucklehead charging Big Ben after the whistle, hitting him in the knees. You don't hit guys there after the whistle is blown. Especially their franchise QB. Babin was a punk on that play.
    Upon further review, Babin was engaged in a block and when released almost had no choice BUT to tackle Ben.
    It wasn't QUITE as cut & dried a "dirty play" as it looked at first.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 8:23

Nice win. The Steelers played poorly and the Jets were an angry, frustrated team that played that way. Turnovers were the key. For the Jets it was the perfect storm. I think the Steelers were looking past the Jets a little bit, and the Jets were treating this game like a playoff game. But good game from Jarrett (where has he been?), and solid game from Vick. The front four played extremely well as usual. Turnovers were the key, even though the Jets didn't capitalize on most of them, it stopped possessions and scoring opportunities and that was the difference.

But let's not blow this win out of proportion. The Jets are still 2-8 and going nowhere. Even if the Jets win a few over the last few games of the season it doesn't change the fact that the Jets are the worst team in the division, and among the worst teams in the AFC. Changes will be made this offseason, and I still hope Idzik is among them. A few wins in the second half of a garbage time season should have no bearing on his future, or Rex's for that matter. Woody can't make the mistake of thinking that everything is ok, because it's not. If Woody stood pat and did nothing organizationally that would send the wrong message to the league and to the fans. Changes need to be made.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 8:29

LIJETFAN wrote:Nice win.  The Steelers played poorly and the Jets were an angry, frustrated team that played that way.  Turnovers were the key. For the Jets it was the perfect storm.  I think the Steelers were looking past the Jets a little bit, and the Jets were treating this game like a playoff game.  But good game from Jarrett (where has he been?), and solid game from Vick.  The front four played extremely well as usual.  Turnovers were the key, even though the Jets didn't capitalize on most of them, it stopped possessions and scoring opportunities and that was the difference.  

But let's not blow this win out of proportion.  The Jets are still 2-8 and going nowhere.  Even if the Jets win a few over the last few games of the season it doesn't change the fact that the Jets are the worst team in the division, and among the worst teams in the AFC.  Changes will be made this offseason, and I still hope Idzik is among them.  A few wins in the second half of a garbage time season should have no bearing on his future, or Rex's for that matter.  Woody can't make the mistake of thinking that everything is ok, because it's not.  If Woody stood pat and did nothing organizationally that would send the wrong message to the league and to the fans.  Changes need to be made.  

It goes back to don't get that high after a win or that low after a loss, I don't think our offense actually played that well yesterday, but good enough to win and not bad enough to give the game away.

I dont think our dbs will be that consistently good or opposing offenses that consistently bad.

Everything kind of fell in line yesterday, even the calls.  I dont expect that level of consistent play; if we do, we really found something in Jarrett, and Williams and Adams at CB.  I dont think we can count on that play from them ongoing, IMO.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 9:49

Why does it always seem that this team is so inconsistently or unevenly prepared. I don't know this to be a fact, but we seem to have good games against very good opponents and fall off the cliff against supposed lesser opponents. I honestly think that there is enough talent on this roster to be a 5-6 win team right now with a decent coach.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 9:57

Old#15 wrote:Why does it always seem that this team is so inconsistently or unevenly prepared.  I don't know this to be a fact, but we seem to have good games against very good opponents and fall off the cliff against supposed lesser opponents.  I honestly think that there is enough talent on this roster to be a 5-6 win team right now with a decent coach.  

I believe the Jets are much better than that record. At least, talent-wise they are. There's no denying we're in need of a few major uprgrades, but top to bottom, this roster isn't in "start over" mode. Nowhere near that, IMO. That's what's been so frustrating about this year.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 10:40

Rex never seems to have his team prepared after the bye week. This should be interesting to see.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 11:22

Superman55 wrote:Rex never seems to have his team prepared after the bye week.  This should be interesting to see.

Yes, particularly after an upset win!
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 11:23

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    Old#15 wrote:Why does it always seem that this team is so inconsistently or unevenly prepared.  I don't know this to be a fact, but we seem to have good games against very good opponents and fall off the cliff against supposed lesser opponents.  I honestly think that there is enough talent on this roster to be a 5-6 win team right now with a decent coach.  

I believe the Jets are much better than that record. At least, talent-wise they are. There's no denying we're in need of a few major uprgrades, but top to bottom, this roster isn't in "start over" mode. Nowhere near that, IMO. That's what's been so frustrating about this year.

+1
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 11:29

The team is far from championship, but it also should be far from a 2-8 team. The schedule did not help, but this team has not played up to potential.
    skop
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by skop Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 11:43

HYATT™ wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:
    Upon further review, Babin was engaged in a block and when released almost had no choice BUT to tackle Ben.
    It wasn't QUITE as cut & dried a "dirty play" as it looked at first.

That's the way I saw it...looked like Babin was fully engaged in a bull rush against a bigger dude, and didn't let up until pay dirt. To be fair to Babin, the o-linemen didn't stop playing either. It was definitely a penalty, but I don't think it was cheap. I saw some un-called Vick shots that looked a few steps past the whistle though.

We did get some favorable calls to be sure...1.) Vick fumbled! 2.) the off-sides on the on sides kick was a straight up gift.
    skop
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by skop Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 12:27

this game just cements the fact that the core of this team can win, and actually, stand toe to toe against anyone in the league. I am not so dubious about a win or a streak of wins that could take us out of the Mariota Sweepstakes.

Spend that money we have unused to get a stellar guard, fix our CB situation, get a speed merchant at WR, AND bring in a guy who can lead an offense and make all of the throws.

The only reason we aren't in the thick of the playoff hunt this year is bc of extra possessions given to the opposition.

I would love to upgrade the aforementioned positions & see what we look like with a "Carson Palmer" next year, and for the next few years. The core of this team is built to win right now, and my fear is a Mariota without an Arians is asking for another multi-year project...and let's face it, this franchises fan base doesn't give that kind of time.

That said, I think we are going to be fighting Tampa for Mariota, as OAK has Carr & JAX has Bortles. if he is there, we have to take him. But I would go the FA too, and go into the draft picking from a position of strength.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 13:22

skop wrote:this game just cements the fact that the core of this team can win, and actually, stand toe to toe against anyone in the league. I am not so dubious about a win or a streak of wins that could take us out of the Mariota Sweepstakes.

Spend that money we have unused to get a stellar guard, fix our CB situation, get a speed merchant at WR, AND bring in a guy who can lead an offense and make all of the throws.  

The only reason we aren't in the thick of the playoff hunt this year is bc of extra possessions given to the opposition.

I would love to upgrade the aforementioned positions & see what we look like with a "Carson Palmer" next year, and for the next few years. The core of this team is built to win right now, and my fear is a Mariota without an Arians is asking for another multi-year project...and let's face it, this franchises fan base doesn't give that kind of time.

That said, I think we are going to be fighting Tampa for Mariota, as OAK has Carr & JAX has Bortles. if he is there, we have to take him. But I would go the FA too, and go into the draft picking from a position of strength.  

Iupati OG 9ers?
    skop
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by skop Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 13:37

Superman55 wrote:
    skop wrote:this game just cements the fact that the core of this team can win, and actually, stand toe to toe against anyone in the league. I am not so dubious about a win or a streak of wins that could take us out of the Mariota Sweepstakes.

Iupati OG 9ers?

Wow!!! nice thought. I don't know about you, but I haven't missed Winters a bit with Aboushi's play, if you can retain Colon as depth by filling his spot with Iupati, that would be an unbelievably deep line.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 17:06

skop wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

Iupati OG 9ers?

Wow!!! nice thought. I don't know about you, but I haven't missed Winters a bit with Aboushi's play, if you can retain Colon as depth by filling his spot with Iupati, that would be an unbelievably deep line.

Aboushi received nice reviews for his play yesterday. Maybe we found a starting guard? Silver lining to a dreadful season.

I've seen enough of Winters. Colon is a great run blocker with a short fuse and a propensity for false starts. We might need to look at a high priced guard and cornerback in FA this offseason. Focus the draft on finding a franchise QB. Hell, I'd trade a bunch of picks to move up for Mariota. And I usually don't advocate that kind of approach.

Mariota is for real. Get him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024 - 19:20