Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+11
GratefulJet
Blindsidebrick
NickSINYC
Metjetgal
HYATT™
Seaver
Old#15
SackExchange
cysporsche
football51
The Wicker Man
15 posters

Calvin Pryor

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Calvin Pryor - Page 3 Empty Re: Calvin Pryor

Post by Superman55 Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 13:20

Sarge wrote:If a player is allowed to play through the learning curve, they are being babied and competition is a farce, if they have competition and a high draft pick has to sit and learn, they are a bust

The joy of being an internet troll (or muchracking reporter) is that there is always some negative spin to put on anything.  When the team has a losing record, it just makes it that much easier to find stuff to stir up.

This is true; but while it has been tough on everyone being a Jets fan, this is the worst the jets have been since 1996...its been almost 20 years since the Jets have been this bad.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 13:27

That, and since Parcells, the Jets have been at worst a mediocre team. Not until very recently have the Jets had a stretch this long without a playoff run. Before the 2011-13 run, the Jets had not gone more than two years without a playoff berth since Parcells came aboard. And they still haven't had consecutive losing seasons since then. Even this year would be coming off an 8-8 season last year.

Two division titles, three AFC title games, 7 playoff berths, and a 7-7 playoff record in that time. We're all aching for a title, but the "woe-is-me" stuff just doesn't cut it any more. This year, the team is awful, and fans have a case to complain. But that isn't the standard any more with this team.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 13:58

SackExchange wrote:That, and since Parcells, the Jets have been at worst a mediocre team. Not until very recently have the Jets had a stretch this long without a playoff run. Before the 2011-13 run, the Jets had not gone more than two years without a playoff berth since Parcells came aboard. And they still haven't had consecutive losing seasons since then. Even this year would be coming off an 8-8 season last year.

Two division titles, three AFC title games, 7 playoff berths, and a 7-7 playoff record in that time. We're all aching for a title, but the "woe-is-me" stuff just doesn't cut it any more. This year, the team is awful, and fans have a case to complain. But that isn't the standard any more with this team.

I dont think with recent decisions, agree with them or not, there are a lot of people convinced this isn't our direction under Idzik.

If that wasnt true, there wouldnt be so many people on the fire idzik bus.

I have said over and over, Idzik deserves 2 more years unless we win less than 3 games next year. So Im not raising any signs; however, I do think many Jets fans look at the offseasons and recent drafts and do not see the light at the end of the tunnel you, 51, Hobson, and Cy do.

Not everyone sees the guy who led us to 3 wins as the guy who will lead us to 13. Can he? Maybe.

We just need to rally around a new coach and QB next year. We'll all be excited again next spring...but we knew in October this season was sunk...which is a sucky way to have a season...that I still feel was because of a pathetic offseason that never gave us a chance. Hopefully next offseason under the new regime is better...a more accountable regime.

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 14:09

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:That, and since Parcells, the Jets have been at worst a mediocre team. Not until very recently have the Jets had a stretch this long without a playoff run. Before the 2011-13 run, the Jets had not gone more than two years without a playoff berth since Parcells came aboard. And they still haven't had consecutive losing seasons since then. Even this year would be coming off an 8-8 season last year.

I dont think with recent decisions, agree with them or not, there are a lot of people convinced this isn't our direction under Idzik.  

I have said over and over, Idzik deserves 2 more years unless we win less than 3 games next year.  So Im not raising any signs; however, I do think many Jets fans look at the offseasons and recent drafts and do not see the light at the end of the tunnel you, 51, Hobson, and Cy do.

can you please point me to the post or posts where i say this? WTF

i may be waiting a while, because i have never said this. i have stated that 2 years is too short to know if his plan will work and i don't think you should fire a GM after only 2 years. but i have not drawn any conclusions, despite you thinking that i have.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 14:13

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

I have said over and over, Idzik deserves 2 more years unless we win less than 3 games next year.  So Im not raising any signs; however, I do think many Jets fans look at the offseasons and recent drafts and do not see the light at the end of the tunnel you, 51, Hobson, and Cy do.

can you please point me to the post or posts where i say this?   WTF

i may be waiting a while, because i have never said this.  i have stated that 2 years is too short to know if his plan will work and i don't think you should fire a GM after only 2 years.  but i have not drawn any conclusions, despite you thinking that i have.

Birds of a feather.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 14:22

Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

i may be waiting a while, because i have never said this.  i have stated that 2 years is too short to know if his plan will work and i don't think you should fire a GM after only 2 years.  but i have not drawn any conclusions, despite you thinking that i have.

Birds of a feather.

that's the name of a song by phish. but not sure what you mean here. just because i haven't joined the pitchfork and torch brigade doesn't mean i am happy with the results. i have said that at this point, the 2014 draft looks pretty bad. although i also recognize that you can't judge a draft after (less than) 1 year and i've noted that saying we had 12 picks is somewhat meaningless when 5 of those were 6th & 7th round picks and 4 were comp picks that couldn't be traded. i didn't think the jets were legit contenders this year, and even in my "green shade" wearing opinion, we were a 7 or 8 win team. obviously we are looking worse than that.

it's funny that you seem to run from your own opinions. i've previously outlined how you loved all the pryor, amaro and mcdougle draft picks and the decker and CJ signings. now idzik had a disasterous off-season and is someone who can't walk and chew gum at the same time, and anyone that doesn't rip him is somehow related to him.

i guess the birds of a feather does fit here...misery loves company and jets fans love to be miserable
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 14:34

from our old board (lol)

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=65&f=1875&t=12868195&p=9

Jetman55 wrote:

I'm with you.  I think Beckham was our #1 target just like Austin was last year.  Beckham passes the Idzik test with flying colors: high character with an awesome background based on a strong up bringing from his parents.  He is a strong locker room guy that is regarded as a team first player with a off the charts football IQ since he's been around the LSU football program since birth.  He is regarded as very coachable and wants to be great.

However, I personally view Pryor as our 1b pick that is a TJ Ward clone in my eyes.  TJ Ward lays the wood.  one of my favorite hits of his was in the pro bowl last year when he laid out teammate Josh Gordon.  He doesn't care who you are, meet the ground, .  That's my type of player.  And Ward hits so hard people underrate his coverage ability and make the mistake of testing his coverage skills.  It's not the strongest part of his game with only 5 career picks, but that's an area Pryor may turn out to be better than Ward.

People may not know this about Pryor, but he started as a freshman and sophomore because of his CF coverage skills.  He actually had 2 INTs as a true freshman including a monster bowl game as a freshman where he had 4 tackles and a big INT.  It wasn't until half way through his Jr year they moved him into the box.  Pryor was a natural CF before being known as the in the box killer he now is.  I think Rex is going to mix things up with Pryor like the Steelers did with a young Troy where just when you think he's in the box about to blitz or play the run, he's in the flat making an easy INT on the screen pass you thought was the perfect call to beat the blitz.

He's a special talent, no doubt.  And if you ask 51 and Cy, I sent a message the morning of the draft that Idzik will draft his Earl Thomas, Calvin Pryor today...and he did.

Also note, ironic, Richard Sherman and Calvin Pryor; Communication majors.

Jetman55 wrote:

I think that is exactly what we're seeing.  We had a perceived weakness at OG, so Idzik added Winters, Aboushi, Campbell, and Dozier along with Willie Colon and said, 'coaches, here you go.  Here's a plothera of talent, now figure out our OG situation."

This year it was WR and CB, so Idzik again said, "WR - here's Decker, Ford, Evans, Saunders, Hakim and Enunwa to go with Hill, Salas, and Kerley, coaches, some polished, some big, some fast, do your job and let the best man win.  At CB, you have Wilson, Walls, Lankster and Milliner, here's Patterson, Dowling, McDougle, and Dixon, do your job and figure it out because some at 6'1 210, others are 5'10 with 4..40, all can play press, do your job and figure it out."

What Idzik has done so far is load us up on fast, young, hungry, high football IQ players at key positions and told the coaches, it's your job to figure out who plays, I'm just stock piling young, smart, and fast players that fit our system, it's your job to plug the holes.  It looks good to me.

Even where it isn't the youngest talent, say RB, Idzik stick piled CJ2k, Ivory, Richardson, Powell, Green, Griffin, and Goodson (not Idzik's fault Goodson fell off the wagon) - and like our RB coach said, whoever gets hot stays and plays...so all the RBs want to show "they're hot."

Can't complain with this model, IMO, because I am not so sure there is much of a drop-off from our #1 CB to our #4-5 CB (Milliner, Patterson, Wilson, McDOugle, and Dowling).  I think all these guys can play (minus maybe Wilson).  

Idzik is doing fine, and I think teams that expect us to cool off year 2 are in for a rude awakening come game day.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 18:01

hobson54 wrote:from our old board (lol)

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=65&f=1875&t=12868195&p=9

Jetman55 wrote:

I'm with you.  I think Beckham was our #1 target just like Austin was last year.  Beckham passes the Idzik test with flying colors: high character with an awesome background based on a strong up bringing from his parents.  He is a strong locker room guy that is regarded as a team first player with a off the charts football IQ since he's been around the LSU football program since birth.  He is regarded as very coachable and wants to be great.

However, I personally view Pryor as our 1b pick that is a TJ Ward clone in my eyes.  TJ Ward lays the wood.  one of my favorite hits of his was in the pro bowl last year when he laid out teammate Josh Gordon.  He doesn't care who you are, meet the ground, .  That's my type of player.  And Ward hits so hard people underrate his coverage ability and make the mistake of testing his coverage skills.  It's not the strongest part of his game with only 5 career picks, but that's an area Pryor may turn out to be better than Ward.

People may not know this about Pryor, but he started as a freshman and sophomore because of his CF coverage skills.  He actually had 2 INTs as a true freshman including a monster bowl game as a freshman where he had 4 tackles and a big INT.  It wasn't until half way through his Jr year they moved him into the box.  Pryor was a natural CF before being known as the in the box killer he now is.  I think Rex is going to mix things up with Pryor like the Steelers did with a young Troy where just when you think he's in the box about to blitz or play the run, he's in the flat making an easy INT on the screen pass you thought was the perfect call to beat the blitz.

He's a special talent, no doubt.  And if you ask 51 and Cy, I sent a message the morning of the draft that Idzik will draft his Earl Thomas, Calvin Pryor today...and he did.

Also note, ironic, Richard Sherman and Calvin Pryor; Communication majors.

Jetman55 wrote:

I think that is exactly what we're seeing.  We had a perceived weakness at OG, so Idzik added Winters, Aboushi, Campbell, and Dozier along with Willie Colon and said, 'coaches, here you go.  Here's a plothera of talent, now figure out our OG situation."

This year it was WR and CB, so Idzik again said, "WR - here's Decker, Ford, Evans, Saunders, Hakim and Enunwa to go with Hill, Salas, and Kerley, coaches, some polished, some big, some fast, do your job and let the best man win.  At CB, you have Wilson, Walls, Lankster and Milliner, here's Patterson, Dowling, McDougle, and Dixon, do your job and figure it out because some at 6'1 210, others are 5'10 with 4..40, all can play press, do your job and figure it out."

What Idzik has done so far is load us up on fast, young, hungry, high football IQ players at key positions and told the coaches, it's your job to figure out who plays, I'm just stock piling young, smart, and fast players that fit our system, it's your job to plug the holes.  It looks good to me.

Even where it isn't the youngest talent, say RB, Idzik stick piled CJ2k, Ivory, Richardson, Powell, Green, Griffin, and Goodson (not Idzik's fault Goodson fell off the wagon) - and like our RB coach said, whoever gets hot stays and plays...so all the RBs want to show "they're hot."

Can't complain with this model, IMO, because I am not so sure there is much of a drop-off from our #1 CB to our #4-5 CB (Milliner, Patterson, Wilson, McDOugle, and Dowling).  I think all these guys can play (minus maybe Wilson).  

Idzik is doing fine, and I think teams that expect us to cool off year 2 are in for a rude awakening come game day.

Excellent post Hobson. With a healthy Milliner CB, McDougle CB, Cunningham OLB, & T-Bo FB, and a great draft, with a top free agent sprinkled in, I really like were the Jets are right now. I could live with Vick one more year, before trading all our picks for Mariota or Winston. If we are sitting 5-6 area, it would cost us both 1st round picks & both 2nd round picks in 2015 & 2016. We can't afford to kill our draft, especially since I don't see an Andrew Luck in this QB class. Idzik, I can't wait until you turn the Jets around, so I can help pay for a plane with a banner telling all the haters to kiss your ass ! cheers

Go Jets...Cyborg
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 18:53

those weren't my words cy. that was me copying what 55 previously wrote on our old board (on the Calvin Pryor draft thread). 55 seemed to love our draft picks and Idzik's plan before he hated them.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 19:51

GratefulJet wrote:So is the assumption Pryor was the best S in the draft, and the claim drafting a TE helps address the WR position is utterly specious, but why let any of that deter from the chance to take a cheap shot at the only chick who posts here?

Cheap shot? What in Gods name are you talking about? I offered a criticism of a post. Shocking!!! People criticizing other people's opinions! This is something you should be all too familiar with, considering your nasty responses to me.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 20:53

hobson54 wrote:those weren't my words cy.  that was me copying what 55 previously wrote on our old board (on the Calvin Pryor draft thread).  55 seemed to love our draft picks and Idzik's plan before he hated them.

the point of the post was Idzik strategy was stockpile talent and let the coaches weed out the players. Neither the players or coaches worked out. Not Idzik will have "his" coach give it a shot. I think tonight seals that. the strategy isn't folly, the execution by the selected players and coaching staff are off. That doesn't make the guy who selected the players any less wrong...but now he'll get his guys to see if he can bake something better with the players than Ryan could. Idzik still gets 2 more years in my book...praying for Mariota with our QB play tonight.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 21:32

Beckham was the guy I wanted too. I was high on him before the combine. I thought he was an incredible route runner with great speed, and very good hands. I think I even posted something about it during the college football season. The kid is for real. I liked Sammy Watkins too a lot, but knew we had no shot at him at all. We could have moved up for Beckham. I was disappointed when the Giants drafted him. I thought it was a great pick by them...

It's amazing to me that in the best WR draft class in the last ten years, we couldn't draft a rookie WR that contributes this year. Mind-blowing. Yeah, I know Shaq Evans, but he was never considered a top prospect.

Good insight by 55, I think he is right on about Beckham being our target like Austin was. The Jets were in day late and dollar short. My opinion on the draft generally is, if you have a guy you want, make sure you get him. The Jets had the ammo to move up, and not just in the first round, but in multiple rounds, and they made no moves at all. It was mind-boggling at the time. And now, it just looks even worse, watching Jordan Matthews, and Beckham, and Benjamin, and on and on. All of these guys are really good players. Potential #1 receivers.

Harvin was a nice move, but he might not even be on the roster next year. It was again, a day late and a dollar short. My opinion as everyone knows is that Idzik botched the draft last year.

As far as Mariota is concerned, he is a really intriguing prospect. He's just hard to evaluate because he is such a dynamic runner, and he is throwing to WRs that are so wide open, a JV high school QB could probably make those throws. But you can see he has a ton of physical talent. No question. Luck had the physical talent, but also the mental part of the game. He was advanced well beyond his years when he came into the league. I think Mariota would need time to develop. He could be Alex Smith or Colin Kapernick. Hard to tell right now..

But I would take either one of them to be honest.

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 16 Dec 2014 - 15:39

Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN · Dec 15
    Saw glimpses of the Louisville-Calvin Pryor yesterday vs Tenn. Use players right & u have a better chance to be right about a player. #Jets

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · Dec 15
    "Use players right and you have a better chance to be right about a player" should have billboarded in all #Jets coaching rooms this year

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 16 Dec 2014 - 22:49

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

Birds of a feather.

that's the name of a song by phish.  but not sure what you mean here.  just because i haven't joined the pitchfork and torch brigade doesn't mean i am happy with the results.  i have said that at this point, the 2014 draft looks pretty bad.  although i also recognize that you can't judge a draft after (less than) 1 year and i've noted that saying we had 12 picks is somewhat meaningless when 5 of those were 6th & 7th round picks and 4 were comp picks that couldn't be traded.  i didn't think the jets were legit contenders this year, and even in my "green shade" wearing opinion, we were a 7 or 8 win team.  obviously we are looking worse than that.

it's funny that you seem to run from your own opinions.  i've previously outlined how you loved all the pryor, amaro and mcdougle draft picks and the decker and CJ signings.  now idzik had a disasterous off-season and is someone who can't walk and chew gum at the same time, and anyone that doesn't rip him is somehow related to him.

i guess the birds of a feather does fit here...misery loves company and jets fans love to be miserable

Jetman55, Has more multiple personalities than Cybil or my X wife. He loved Idzik and everything about the draft except not getting Moncrief, now he hates everyone ! Geez...

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 16 Dec 2014 - 23:35

I was at the Tennessee game and kept a close watch in Pryor, he looked good to me. When he walked off the field in the 1st half (after being injured), we thought he was done, but he came back and balled hard in the 2nd half.  He's a tough kid, he jacked up Shonn Greene on at least one occasion and was flying around all day. If/when Rex is fired, it will be interesting to see how Pryor is used in the new defensive scheme.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 17:12

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-don-bet-calvin-pryor-article-1.2050609

Lol......... Rex was "forced" to play Pryor out of position because of the cb's. No, he plays Pryor out of position because he won't sit his guy(Landry) and put Pryor in the box and either Allen or Jarret deep.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 2:34

Pryor is quoted today as saying, "I'm going to play my balls off this weekend for the people who don't believe in me."

Well Calvin, you need to look at it this way, the NFl is going to find the holes in your game, and you have a lot of Kyle Wilson in you when it comes to coverage, and it's not your fault you're a strong safety that got drafted round 1 (there's a reason SS don't go round 1), but Troy P didn't start a single game his rookie year for the Steelers. It takes safeties a year or 2 to adjust to the NFL...so hopefully next year you're Victor Green tackling machine that we always have to hide in coverage...it is what it is, young fella.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 2:42

football51 wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-don-bet-calvin-pryor-article-1.2050609

Lol......... Rex was "forced" to play Pryor out of position because of the cb's. No, he plays Pryor out of position because he won't sit his guy(Landry) and put Pryor in the box and either Allen or Jarret deep.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, or is Rex playing him like a first round pick safety that he would expect can play the run and pass. Would you draft a one trick pony safety rd 1 if 51 was a GM?

I suspect for Pryor to develop as a pro, he needs to be used as an all around safety if he's ever going to become one. I suspect he won't, and he'll be a SS long term as you describe above, but if that's the case, I would ask of he is a first rd pick value as an in the box safety that can't cover?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 16:09

Bowles coached rookie stud Deone Buchannon last year who helped the cardinals sure up the secondary with 81 tackles, 2 sacks, and 0 INTs. I'd look for Bowles to use Pryor in a similar capacity as the hammer of the defense. If Bowles and rex can't get it out of Pryor, no one can.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 16:15

Superman55 wrote:Bowles coached rookie stud Deone Buchannon last year who helped the cardinals sure up the secondary with 81 tackles, 2 sacks, and 0 INTs.  I'd look for Bowles to use Pryor in a similar capacity as the hammer of the defense.  If Bowles and rex can't get it out of Pryor, no one can.

I see a big difference between Bowles and Ryan. Ryan gets a 110% effort from his players but he plays them to suit his scheme not the players talent. Bowles get the effort but also puts the players in a position the best suits their talent. I see big things for Pryor this upcoming season.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 9:32