Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+20
danfran
Superman55
Seaver
GratefulJet
soj
DonMaynard
Old#15
The Wicker Man
NCgreen12
HYATT™
cysporsche
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
Sarge
lnap23
SackExchange
skop
LIJETFAN
hobson54
24 posters

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 17 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by hobson54 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 10:20

Sarge wrote:The real question is will they try to do something at QB prior to the draft or will they hold their cards and try to either make a move up or hope a QB slips to us at #6?  So, do something prior to the draft or wait until the draft - either draft a QB or make a move afterwards

I think they have to do something before the draft. you can't rely on winston or mariota being available to us (assuming we have interest in either of them) and i can't see the team being overly comfortable with geno being the penciled in starter. so i'd think they will at a minimum add some veteran FA or alternatively make a trade before the draft.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 17 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by Seaver Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 10:42

Jets are gonna have to start thinking outside the box in this current climate/era of QBs coming out of college......they may have to look at someone's roster and determine somebody on their bench may be worth trading for.........I base that on the notion that few enter the league prepared, so anyone in the NFL at least a year has a leg up on the 2015 class. Trick is not only identifying the proper target, but then actually making the acquisition.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 12:47

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 13:35

I assume this would mean they cut ties with Cousins. Not that I necessarily want him, after his performance last year, but it would be the case.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 14:13

GratefulJet wrote:Nick Foles is drawing interest around the league from teams who think Kelly might want to trade him to accumulate the draft chips to trade up to draft Mariota. The article linked below doesn't speculate on what it might cost to land Foles, but does speculate that the Rams, who own the 10th pick in the draft, might have interest. Presumably the Jets, with the 6th pick, would have plenty of ammo to make the trade, and the real question there would be what else the Jets would get back besides Foles if they gave up their 1st rounder.  The Eagles pick 20th: is that pick plus Foles in exchange for the Jets' 6th overall pick a reasonable deal?  Nick, you're the resident Nick Foles fan. Do you make that trade?

Several teams, including Rams, are ready to make a deal for Foles

Now we're talking.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 14:18

GratefulJet wrote:Well, let's see what Maccagnan has up his sleeve. I am kind of expecting some action from him on the trade front. I don't think he's going into the season with the status quo at QB.

Yet again, something i have been saying for weeks, Yet some feel i have a personal agenda against Geno Smith.
    Macagnan also knows he can't win with Smith. He will have an absolute quality QB in mind to acquire to go into the 2015 season.

This is what i was trying to convey with every poster here. Many say, "What options are there that is better than Geno SMith?"
    I said "Many". It's up to the GM to look under every rock & to see if there are any QB that Mac can trade for.
    Give Geno a legit QB competition with quality QB's, such as Foles, and people will recognize what i have been saying since day 1.

Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 14:22

Maccagnan knows he can't win with Geno?
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 14:25

GratefulJet wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:Well, let's see what Maccagnan has up his sleeve. I am kind of expecting some action from him on the trade front. I don't think he's going into the season with the status quo at QB.

It's hard to believe that Geno Smith and Matt Simms will be the main QB's on our roster in 2015. Something's gonna happen, whether it's Fitzpatrick becoming available, a trade for someone (Foles for me, at the right price), or a high-mid round draft pick.

Yeah and there's nothing good on the FA market, so it's either going to be a trade or a draft pick. A mid-low draft pick will be underwhelming, and will indicate that they still think they can salvage Geno. A trade for Foles or Bradford, OTOH, or a high draft pick will give a pretty clear signal they are moving on from Geno. Even Fitzpatrick would be a shift in that direction.

Excellent post. Though i feel how Bowles & Mac answered many questions regarding Geno indicates that they want to bring in a legit QB that the team can move forward with. I think it also depends on where Macagnan valued Geno Smith in the 2013 draft and how he feels he's progressed, rather, regressed with better players around him.

I'am convinced that Bowles & Mac don't want to go down the Rex/Idzik route all in on Geno. The old regime did not leave any option to fall back on to even salvage the '14 season. Geno cost them their respective fates.
    I'am sure Bowles/Mac want to have better wiggle room at the most important position on the team.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 14:30

Sarge wrote:Maccagnan knows he can't win with Geno?  

100% If you think for a second that Mac won't bring in legit QB's to supplant Geno Smith, then your fooling yourself into thinking it's 2014.

Also, Mac not only knows this, but also the other 31 teams that passed on him as well in 2012.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 14:37

After seeing what the Bills gave up(2015 1st and 2014 4th plus swap of 1's in 2014) to move a few spots for Watkins, I would need more than Foles and pick #20 for the 6th pick. The Eagles 2016 #1 needs to be part of the discussion at least. If not, I would want a couple of 2015 picks. The Eagles know exactly how Mariota will look in their offense, so there's not much risk there for them. Foles will be in the last year of his contract and require a sizeable raise going forward.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 14:39

football51 wrote:After seeing what the Bills gave up(2015 1st and 2014 4th plus swap of 1's in 2014) to move a few spots for Watkins, I would need more than Foles and pick #20 for the 6th pick. The Eagles 2016 #1 needs to be part of the discussion at least. If not, I would want a couple of 2015 picks. The Eagles know exactly how Mariota will look in their offense, so there's not much risk there for them. Foles will be in the last year of his contract and require a sizeable raise going forward.

Absolutley, Foles and 1st round swaps this year and next year's one would be ideal.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 15:16

Mariotta will be gone by #6 in all likelihood, so it's something of a moot discussion.  BUT, if he's there and the Jets like him, no way we trade down.  I guess it's POSSIBLE he drops to 6 and the Jets don't want him, but both of those things happening seems extremely unlikely
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 15:18

And there's no way I'd take Nick Freaking Foles and the 20th pick for the #6 pick. No way in Hades.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 15:32

SackExchange wrote:
    I assume this would mean they cut ties with Cousins. Not that I necessarily want him, after his performance last year, but it would be the case.

Please no Cousins. I think he would have a hard time beating out Geno for the job.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 15:40

NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

Please no Cousins. I think he would have a hard time beating out Geno for the job.

on point as always nick
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 15:44

football51 wrote:After seeing what the Bills gave up(2015 1st and 2014 4th plus swap of 1's in 2014) to move a few spots for Watkins, I would need more than Foles and pick #20 for the 6th pick. The Eagles 2016 #1 needs to be part of the discussion at least. If not, I would want a couple of 2015 picks. The Eagles know exactly how Mariota will look in their offense, so there's not much risk there for them. Foles will be in the last year of his contract and require a sizeable raise going forward.

I think it all depends on your feelings about Foles. He was a 3rd round pick so if you feel that is what he is then of course him and the 20th pick is way too little but if in reevaluating him if dratted again he is late 1st round talent then the trade starts to look better.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 16:00

NickSINYC wrote:

I think it all depends on your feelings about Foles. He was a 3rd round pick so if you feel that is what he is then of course him and the 20th pick is way too little but if in reevaluating him if dratted again he is late 1st round talent then the trade starts to look better.

Nick, just curious, would you pull the trigger on that trade?
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 16:06

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:

I said earlier I think and extra 3rd or 4th round pick would make the trade fair but with all the competition for Foles we might have to do it for just him and the swap of 1STs.

I think he is in the better than average category and we could win a SB with him.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 16:10

NickSINYC wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:

I said earlier I think and extra 3rd or 4th round pick would make the trade fair but with all the competition for Foles we might have to do it for just him and the swap of 1STs.

I think he is in the better than average category and we could win a SB with him.

Well stated.  I feel if via free agency we can shore up the O-Line with Franklin. Get a CB such as Maxwell & sign An OLB in Justin Houston (we can absolutley afford these players with $50 mil under the cap once we release Percy), then we could definetly get the best available QB in a trade since so many feel this QB class is weak.

Though i would still draft a QB regardless in the 3rd or 4rth.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 17:52

Adam Caplan retweeted
    Mark Dominik @MarkdominikESPN · 9h 9 hours ago
    If your team isnt high enough to draft Mariotta/Winston,&is w/out established QB,sign Matt Moore&Jake Locker as free agents,let them compete
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 17:56

football51 wrote: Adam Caplan retweeted
    Mark Dominik @MarkdominikESPN  ·  9h 9 hours ago
    If your team isnt high enough to draft Mariotta/Winston,&is w/out established QB,sign Matt Moore&Jake Locker as free agents,let them compete

I'll be fine with that. On one condition with Locker though, our O-Line MUST be shored up with the likes of Franklin & Sherff.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 1:06

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    football51 wrote: Adam Caplan retweeted
    Mark Dominik @MarkdominikESPN  ·  9h 9 hours ago

I'll be fine with that.  On one condition with Locker though, our O-Line MUST be shored up with the likes of Franklin & Sherff.

My view is that we need to shore up the OL no matter who our QB is. Foles, Glennon, Mannion. ...all these guys are absolute statues back there. Geno's strength is his mobility, and he still was under siege all season in the pocket. Marty didn't do enough to play to his strengths and cover up his weaknesses. Whoever our QB is, I hope Gailey is better at getting the most out of him. If it's Geno, spread/read-option looks will be the norm, and if we find a more traditional pro passer, the line must be improved to support that style of attack.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 2:44

Foles is a starting QB in this league. Like any QB though, he needs decent-good protection and a couple of WR's. I believe Foles would give the Jets a better chance of getting into the playoffs than Geno Smith. And for the next 2-3 rebuilding years, he'd be a better option than most of what I see. Mariota and Winston will struggle as rookies, unless Mariota lands in Philadelphia. Then his learning curve will be much quicker. But neither is close to a sure thing in my mind. Mariota needs Chip, and Winston needs to learn how to read pro style defenses quickly. That takes time.  He'll take his lumps this year, and could end up being Josh Freeman 2.0

If the Jets were offered #20 and Nick Foles for the #6 pick, I make that trade if I'm the Jets. You instantly upgrade the QB position and keep your first round pick, which will also land a very good prospect. Foles is the best option out there, offering an immediate plug-in-and-play QB.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 8:25

Blindsidebrick wrote:Foles is a starting QB in this league. Like any QB though, he needs decent-good protection and a couple of WR's. I believe Foles would give the Jets a better chance of getting into the playoffs than Geno Smith. And for the next 2-3 rebuilding years, he'd be a better option than most of what I see. Mariota and Winston will struggle as rookies, unless Mariota lands in Philadelphia. Then his learning curve will be much quicker. But neither is close to a sure thing in my mind. Mariota needs Chip, and Winston needs to learn how to read pro style defenses quickly. That takes time.  He'll take his lumps this year, and could end up being Josh Freeman 2.0

If the Jets were offered #20 and Nick Foles for the #6 pick, I make that trade if I'm the Jets. You instantly upgrade the QB position and keep your first round pick, which will also land a very good prospect. Foles is the best option out there, offering an immediate plug-in-and-play QB.

Seems a little light in compensation; add a #2 and I would do it.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 11:01

Old#15 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:Foles is a starting QB in this league. Like any QB though, he needs decent-good protection and a couple of WR's. I believe Foles would give the Jets a better chance of getting into the playoffs than Geno Smith. And for the next 2-3 rebuilding years, he'd be a better option than most of what I see. Mariota and Winston will struggle as rookies, unless Mariota lands in Philadelphia. Then his learning curve will be much quicker. But neither is close to a sure thing in my mind. Mariota needs Chip, and Winston needs to learn how to read pro style defenses quickly. That takes time.  He'll take his lumps this year, and could end up being Josh Freeman 2.0

Seems a little light in compensation; add a #2 and I would do it.

I dont think you get a #2. I said earlier in this thread #20, a 3rd, and Foles for #6...Nick called it a crazy idea that you have to jump all over cause the Jets are stealing them blind, but I think to move back to #20, you need a 3rd.

You have to look at it like Foles is a 2nd rd value...so it is likely #20, Foles, and a 3rd rd pick next year...I'd do that deal.

At #20, you still may land a top CB, or one of the tier 2 WRs like Beckham or Devin Smith (who reminds me of Holmes when he came out...or maybe Torrey Smith when he came out from Maryland).

Coming out of rd 1 with Foles and Devin Smith wouldn't be bad.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024 - 2:28