Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+9
NCgreen12
Old#15
SackExchange
cysporsche
Superman55
Blindsidebrick
GratefulJet
Sarge
The Wicker Man
13 posters

Mock Drafts

The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Mock Drafts Empty Mock Drafts

Post by The Wicker Man Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 8:27

Feel free to add your own: Here's NFL.com Daniel Jeremiahs. He has the Jets taking Mariota.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/215603

I prefer Cooper.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Mock Drafts Empty Re: Mock Drafts

Post by Sarge Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 10:14

My Top 10 Mock as of Now

Bucs - Jameis Winston QB
    Titans - Marcus Mariotta QB
    Jaguars - Leonard Williams DT
    Raiders - Amari Cooper WR
    Redskins - Randy Gregory DL
    Jets - Brandon Scherff OL - we'll have to watch him closely at the combine, even if he projects at G he might be a good pick, or we have to go with one of 4 stud defenders Ray, Beasley, Dupree, or Shaq Thompson
    Bears - Shane Ray DE
    Falcons - Vic Beasley LB
    Giants - Landon Collins S
    Rams - Alvin Dupree DE
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 10:59

The further you move down the draft, the more uncertainty you are introducing. Once you get to #18, it is almost impossible to guess the pick correctly. Did anyone have us taking Calvin Pryor last year? The Giants upset that applecart when they "reached" for ODB, who only turned out to be the best player taken, at #12. Given how wrong the mocks are, I almost treat them now as a negative indicator--whoever they agree on for us will be the guy I least expect us to take.

This year, the turning points in the draft will be even higher, as there are not, nor will be, any consensus picks past the #1-2 spots, if that. That uncertainty will make this the most intriguing first round in many years, because literally anything can happen. I live in Chicago, and am tempted to attend this one, even though the idea of actually going to the draft has always seemed like a total waste of time.

As for Cooper, I am trying to decide which former Jet WR he most reminds me of, at least if he has a NFL career that resembles his college years. Kind of thinking Wesley Walker right now. That's not to say I want us to take him, although I wouldn't completely hate the pick. I just think our new GM should and probably will address the fundamentals of the team, and that starts with the OL. That also happens to be the one positional area where post-season combine and pro day workouts actually can inform the projections of these young men, as you get a chance to compare their various skill sets on a level playing field and make some reasonable projections about their future abilities.

So I'll be watching guys like Ronnie Stanley, T.J. Clemmings, and La'el Collins, as I think one of them might end up in the top 6 before it's all said and done. The guy I think we will take is Andrus Peat, who declared for the draft earlier this month after saying earlier in the season he was likely to remain at Stanford another year. He seems to have the ridiculous physical gifts you rarely find and the intelligence (I mean, he went to freakin' Stanford, ok?) to become a top OT with good coaching--he was smart enough to realize that staying in school another year would just expose him to a career-killing injury. He clearly understands risk:reward, and I want guys like that on the line, where split-second decision-making is critical. We've had more than enough stoopid starting on the offensive line for awhile now.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 11:08

The Wicker Man wrote:Feel free to add your own: Here's NFL.com Daniel Jeremiahs. He has the Jets taking Mariota.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/215603

I prefer Cooper.

Cooper is my pick, too. But I see Oakland jumping all over him at #4 for Derek Carr. Honestly, I'd be fine with Cooper, Scherff, or the top rated OLB. I probably won't be disappointed on draft day.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 11:19

Given that we're going to have a completely new regime with a mandate to turn things around, I suspect one of the exercises Maccagnan and team will perform will be to look back at recent Jets drafts, and they will see that the last time we took an offensive player in round 1 was Mark Sanchez all the way back in 2009. I am guessing Macc isn't looking to repeat the mistakes of the past if he wants different results. Our offense has been bad for years, so I'll be shocked if we take any defensive player at #6 this year. They're going to do things differently here going forward.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 11:32

Totally agree one of the "other" offensive linemen could emerge as a viable option at 6 - I like all those guys Peat especially, Collins projects to G, I think, but he's good. Scherff is plug and play at G from Day 1. Then Winters Aboushi and Dozier can fight it out at the other G. If we take Peat, he might need a year before he is an NFL tackle but his upside is huge - he has the major advantage of projecting to LT
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 11:38

Sarge wrote:Totally agree one of the "other" offensive linemen could emerge as a viable option at 6 - I like all those guys Peat especially, Collins projects to G, I think, but he's good.  Scherff is plug and play at G from Day 1. Then Winters Aboushi and Dozier can fight it out at the other G.  If we take Peat, he might need a year before he is an NFL tackle but his upside is huge - he has the major advantage of projecting to LT

One of my sons went to Iowa and I get most of their games on TV here in Chicago, so I've seen a lot of Scherff over the years. He's good but I just don't think he's great. That having been said, there are some Iowa players who have gone on exceed expectations in the NFL. Green Bay has done well scouting that school, and have Micah Hyde and Bryan Bulaga to show for it. Hyde was not someone I would have expected big things from coming out of college, and he's made his mark. I just think there's OL prospects with more upside, and as you said, Peat has immense potential to play LT, and we need to groom a new one, because winter is coming for Brick (although I hope Winters is going Wink
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 11:43

Scherff player out if position all season - nobody thinks he projects to LT in the NFL. RT maybe but to me he just looks like an awesome NFL guard. Now, do you spend the 6th pick on a guard? Tough question
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 11:55

Sarge wrote:Scherff player out if position all season -  nobody thinks he projects to LT in the NFL.  RT maybe but to me he just looks like an awesome NFL guard.  Now, do you spend the 6th pick on a guard? Tough question

Look at Dallas. They rebuilt that OL this past off season with Guard Zack Martin at #16 as a starting point. Romo's play went upward as a result.

Curious to see how much better Geno would play with better protection. So in summary, sign me up for a guard at #6.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 12:05

Sarge wrote:Scherff player out if position all season -  nobody thinks he projects to LT in the NFL.  RT maybe but to me he just looks like an awesome NFL guard.  Now, do you spend the 6th pick on a guard? Tough question

I think a lot depends on what we do in free agency. We have the most cap room, so I'd be surprised if we didn't sign one of the big names like last year. Like last year, I think we'll sign 1 big name of:

Iupati OG
    Houston OLB
    Torrey Smith WR
    Mike Wallace WR (if cut)
    Mike Crabtree WR
    Franklin OG Broncos
    Brian Orakpo OLB Skins
    Jason Worilds OLB Steelers
    Darrelle Revis CB Pats
    Nate Allen S Eagles
    Devin McCourty S Pats

* I am assuming Dez Bryant and D. Thomas are franchised. If one of those 2 hit the market, Jets need to be all in, IMO.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 12:29

GratefulJet, If you live in Chicago you should be there @ 7am and get ready to have a fantastic day watching Chris Berhman, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay & Chucky Gruden running around. With the draft rotating to Dallas & L.A., you don't know when it will be back. It should be on everyone's bucket list.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 12:36

Superman55 wrote:

I think a lot depends on what we do in free agency.  We have the most cap room, so I'd be surprised if we didn't sign one of the big names like last year.  Like last year, I think we'll sign 1 big name of:

Iupati OG
    Houston OLB
    Torrey Smith WR
    Mike Wallace WR (if cut)
    Mike Crabtree WR
    Franklin OG Broncos
    Brian Orakpo OLB Skins
    Darrelle Revis CB Pats
    Nate Allen S Eagles
    Devin McCourty S Pats

* I am assuming Dez Bryant and D. Thomas are franchised.  If one of those 2 hit the market, Jets need to be all in, IMO.
    The Jets have to spend the money. They spent so little last year, they are obligated by the CBA to hit the 89% threshold.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 12:45

SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

I think a lot depends on what we do in free agency.  We have the most cap room, so I'd be surprised if we didn't sign one of the big names like last year.  Like last year, I think we'll sign 1 big name of:

Iupati OG
    Houston OLB
    Torrey Smith WR
    Mike Wallace WR (if cut)
    Mike Crabtree WR
    Franklin OG Broncos
    Brian Orakpo OLB Skins
    Darrelle Revis CB Pats
    Nate Allen S Eagles
    Devin McCourty S Pats

* I am assuming Dez Bryant and D. Thomas are franchised.  If one of those 2 hit the market, Jets need to be all in, IMO.
    The Jets have to spend the money. They spent so little last year, they are obligated by the CBA to hit the 89% threshold.

Which is why I think they will resign Wilkerson and Harrison and front load their deals and 1 of the big free agents above to help hit that mark.

I think there's a good chance one of those OLB are added or one of those OGs that crosses Scherff and/or OLB off our draft list quickly. OLB seems most likely, IMO, because i dont think KC or Wash have any desire to resign Houston or Orakpo based on their cap situation (and draft position for Wash)...that would make OL, CB and WR most likely for draft targets.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 12:53

Draft White or Parker at #6, Hundley or Petty in 2nd, a developmental LT in 3rd or 4th and sign Houston and Cro. I really think that Geno will be improved in this his 3rd year, particularly with Gailey, better protection and one more really good receiving option. White and Parker are both big bodied WRs that will contest for every ball, and will provide big help for any QB that we start. I also think that if one of the 2 QBs I listed are available in 2nd that you have to take them for both developmental and insurance reasons.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 13:13

I could honestly see the Jets sign two bigger names. Iupati and an OLB (or WR, if they let Harvin walk). The team will not rely solely on the draft to fill its holes.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 13:17

Old#15 wrote:Draft White or Parker at #6, Hundley or Petty in 2nd, a developmental LT in 3rd or 4th and sign Houston and Cro.  I really think that Geno will be improved in this his 3rd year, particularly with Gailey, better protection and one more really good receiving option.  White and Parker are both big bodied WRs that will contest for every ball, and will provide big help for any QB that we start.  I also think that if one of the 2 QBs I listed are available in 2nd that you have to take them for both developmental and insurance reasons.  
    I would love to have either White or Parker, and actually think they have more upside than Cooper. However, to me they are luxury picks for team that has to devote resources to the basic core of the offense, the OL. What good is it to have such elite wideouts when the QB won't have time to let them develop their routes so he can get the ball to them?
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 13:19

I don't think the OL is nearly as bad as is being represented here. It's not a great line like it had been, but it is, at worst, decent.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 13:24

SackExchange wrote:I don't think the OL is nearly as bad as is being represented here. It's not a great line like it had been, but it is, at worst, decent.
    We'll have to agree to disagree then. Geno was under siege within 1-2 seconds on almost every dropback some games. No one has a chance at QB under those circumstances. Some of that might have been due to him not making the right calls on protection, and some might have been poor personnel/schemes, which falls on the coaches, but the right side of the line and even the left at times was pathetic in pass protection far too much of the time. The run blocking was pretty good, but that's a different story.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 13:25

cysporsche wrote:GratefulJet, If you live in Chicago you should be there @ 7am and get ready to have a fantastic day watching Chris Berhman, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay & Chucky Gruden running around. With the draft rotating to Dallas & L.A., you don't know when it will be back. It should be on everyone's bucket list.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Cy, I'll have to look it up, but isn't the first round a Thursday or Friday night event?
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 13:27

Colon is a run blocker first. Giacomini has been remarkably underwhelming. Not awful, but at best a serviceable starter you can stick next to a stud.
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 13:35

If Mariotta is there when we pick I'd be shocked if we didn't take up.

SackExchange wrote:Colon is a run blocker first. Giacomini has been remarkably underwhelming. Not awful, but at best a serviceable starter you can stick next to a stud.

Sack - not that Profootball Focus stats are always correct but the if you believe their ratings Fergy and Giacomini are rated 35th and 51st among NFL tackles and Aboushi and Colon are rated 43rd and 66th among Guards. The ratings cover pass and run blocking, screen blocks, QB hits and sacks allowed as well as penalties committed. I think there's probably lots of improvement there. Mangold was the highest rated center.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 13:47

NCgreen12 wrote:If Mariotta is there when we pick I'd be shocked if we didn't take up.

SackExchange wrote:Colon is a run blocker first. Giacomini has been remarkably underwhelming. Not awful, but at best a serviceable starter you can stick next to a stud.

Sack - not that Profootball Focus stats are always correct but the if you believe their ratings Fergy and Giacomini are rated 35th and 51st among NFL tackles and Aboushi and Colon are rated 43rd and 66th among Guards. The ratings cover pass and run blocking, screen blocks, QB hits and sacks allowed as well as penalties committed. I think there's probably lots of improvement there. Mangold was the highest rated center.
    When your own fans stop calling you Brick and start calling you Fergy, it's time to take long look at the man in the mirror, LOL. 

It's virtual heresy around here to badmouth d'Brickashaw, but he has been fading big time for a few years now. Swapping Aboushi for Iupati might help revive him somewhat, but it is worth noting that Iupati is a much better run blocker than pass protector himself.  I don't think we can replace Brick yet, but neither can we count on him the way we used to. He's lost a step or two and will continue to do so.

Those stats support my contention that the OL is pretty awful on both wings, and Maccagnan should make improvement there our first priority.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 14:11

GratefulJet wrote:
    Old#15 wrote:Draft White or Parker at #6, Hundley or Petty in 2nd, a developmental LT in 3rd or 4th and sign Houston and Cro.  I really think that Geno will be improved in this his 3rd year, particularly with Gailey, better protection and one more really good receiving option.  White and Parker are both big bodied WRs that will contest for every ball, and will provide big help for any QB that we start.  I also think that if one of the 2 QBs I listed are available in 2nd that you have to take them for both developmental and insurance reasons.  
    I would love to have either White or Parker, and actually think they have more upside than Cooper. However, to me they are luxury picks for team that has to devote resources to the basic core of the offense, the OL. What good is it to have such elite wideouts when the QB won't have time to let them develop their routes so he can get the ball to them?

the problem is there is no franchise LT in this draft worth taking at #6, and i don't like using such a premium pick on someone who will be a RT or G. so if there is a WR worthy of the #6 pick, i'd think strongly about taking him, given the need for offensive play-makers
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 14:25

That's how I feel right now unless there is a CB rd 2 they love...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 14:27

Im with Grateful and we'll have to agree to disagree...I feel we have a bottom 5 RT and Colon needs to be replaced. Neither can pass block.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024 - 13:58