A New Community for Jets Fans

Calvin Pryor

NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Re: Calvin Pryor

Post by NickSINYC on Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 13:06

I think a lot of this rookies are not playing well and it comes down on Rex. He is not using Pryor properly IMO. He is doing the same thing with AA and others. Even when a young player like Amaro is playing well when he gets on the field what does Rex do? He does not get him on the field enough. The only young players that thrive with Rex are D linemen. Rex is not flexible enough as a HC. He is too loyal to older vets. A lot of the blame that the GMs get here belongs on Rex shoulders.
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 20:26

Kristian Dyer @KristianRDyer · 15m 15 minutes ago
    Speaking with an NFL scout :"Calvin Pryor can play at this level, not very comfortable in open space, but he can grow into that role." #Jets

And in the meantime, how about we use him where he's most comfortable and productive at this time. I'm sure Dwan Landry will get over it.
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 20:46

football51 wrote:Kristian Dyer @KristianRDyer  ·  15m 15 minutes ago
    Speaking with an NFL scout :"Calvin Pryor can play at this level, not very comfortable in open space, but he can grow into that role." #Jets

And in the meantime, how about we use him where he's most comfortable and productive at this time. I'm sure Dwan Landry will get over it.
    We all know Rex will always screw over young player to protect an aging vet.

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 21:11

NickSINYC wrote:
    football51 wrote:Kristian Dyer @KristianRDyer  ·  15m 15 minutes ago

We all know Rex will always screw over young player to protect an aging vet.

I don't think Rex is deliberately trying to screw Pryor over. I just think that, due to a secondary that's been ravaged by injuries, he's experimented by moving players around to find solutions.

Obviously, it hasn't worked very well. Pryor is built to play closer to the LOS, in a more traditional SS role. And Antonio Allen has been respectable at times playing at corner, but it's clear that he's a safety. At least, that's what I see.
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ on Sun 23 Nov 2014 - 0:58

Jets should stop dickin' around and go Cover 3, with Allen at FS, Pryor at SS, and Landry playing SAF in the middle.
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Sun 23 Nov 2014 - 8:05

And take their best safety (Jaiquan Jarrett) this season off the field? Landry is the guy that needs to grab some bench. You're right that Pryor needs to play in a role where he can get instinctual and do what he does best. That's in the box.

Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Metjetgal on Sun 23 Nov 2014 - 15:00

Why did we draft this guy over the plethora of wr's we could of grabbed?
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Sun 23 Nov 2014 - 21:18

Metjetgal wrote:Why did we draft this guy over the plethora of wr's we could of grabbed?

Bart Hubbuch ✔ @BartHubbuch
    All these amazing wide receivers, and the Jets took a safety and a tight end with their first two picks.
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ on Sun 23 Nov 2014 - 22:11

GratefulJet wrote:And take their best safety (Jaiquan Jarrett) this season off the field? Landry is the guy that needs to grab some bench.
    Dayum, keep forgetting about that kid. He seems a little better around the LoS than back playing SAF however. Landry's a little more nuanced in coverages, I think, but Jarrett HAS been coming on strong of late.
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Sun 23 Nov 2014 - 22:22

HYATT™ wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:And take their best safety (Jaiquan Jarrett) this season off the field? Landry is the guy that needs to grab some bench.
    Dayum, keep forgetting about that kid. He seems a little better around the LoS than back playing SAF however. Landry's a little more nuanced in coverages, I think, but Jarrett HAS been coming on strong of late.

...or he had one good game. I think since we're in player evaluation mode, it's good Rex is sticking with him and seeing if he's a one game wonder or a legit NFL caliber FS. Even Pryor admitted Jarret had been outplaying him in practice lately and deserved the start. Im glad Rex did the right thing. I hope we found a diamond here, but I'm not sure 1 great game crowns him as a long term answer. It does look like the light went on.

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick on Sun 23 Nov 2014 - 23:22

Metjetgal wrote:Why did we draft this guy over the plethora of wr's we could of grabbed?

Why are some people so convinced Pryor is a bust? We're judging a rookie safety playing out of position? A safety most people had rated as the best safety in the draft.

And we took a TE, yes. A position of need. We landed a guy who looks like he'll be our starter for 8 years.

We signed Eric Decker. It's not like we ignored the WR position. And anyone who thought this team would be completely fixed in 2014 is dreaming. Idzik could've drafted Sammy Watkins, Odell Beckham, and any other WR in this draft, but would it have mattered? Would Geno Smith have turned into Joe Montana because of those guys? No, he would've thrown just as many INT's, been benched, and we'd be blasting Idzik for something else.

It's the Jets fan way.
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 6:20

Blindsidebrick wrote:

Why are some people so convinced Pryor is a bust? We're judging a rookie safety playing out of position? A safety most people had rated as the best safety in the draft.

And we took a TE, yes. A position of need. We landed a guy who looks like he'll be our starter for 8 years.

We signed Eric Decker. It's not like we ignored the WR position. And anyone who thought this team would be completely fixed in 2014 is dreaming. Idzik could've drafted Sammy Watkins, Odell Beckham, and any other WR in this draft, but would it have mattered? Would Geno Smith have turned into Joe Montana because of those guys? No, he would've thrown just as many INT's, been benched, and we'd be blasting Idzik for something else.

It's the Jets fan way.

Geno would have thrown just as many InTs with Beckham at WR instead of David Nelson? That, for sure, is a HUGE assumption.
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 8:31

So is the assumption Pryor was the best S in the draft, and the claim drafting a TE helps address the WR position is utterly specious, but why let any of that deter from the chance to take a cheap shot at the only chick who posts here?
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 8:43

GratefulJet wrote:So is the assumption Pryor was the best S in the draft, and the claim drafting a TE helps address the WR position is utterly specious, but why let any of that deter from the chance to take a cheap shot at the only chick who posts here?

Buchannon was always the best safety in the draft. Im disappointed our scouts couldn't see that...HYATT and I were screaming it from the roof tops heading into the draft. He played in the Pac-12 but had more INTs than Ha-Ha and Pryor combined. A natural ball hawk that was drafted to lay the wood. He's going to be special...ask the cards.

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 9:07

GratefulJet wrote:So is the assumption Pryor was the best S in the draft, and the claim drafting a TE helps address the WR position is utterly specious, but why let any of that deter from the chance to take a cheap shot at the only chick who posts here?

nice that in your defense of the female poster that you refer to her as a chick...

btw - all this talk of Beckham is meaningless since he was drafted BEFORE we picked. i can only imagine what this board would have been like if we traded up for him, only to see him miss all of camp and pre-season and the first month of the season with an injury. and who knows if he would have performed at the level he has with the Jets QB situation.
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 9:09

hobson54 wrote:

nice that in your defense of the female poster that you refer to her as a chick...  

btw - all this talk of Beckham is meaningless since he was drafted BEFORE we picked.  i can only imagine what this board would have been like if we traded up for him, only to see him miss all of camp and pre-season and the first month of the season with an injury.  and who knows if he would have performed at the level he has with the Jets QB situation.

Well, I wouldn't call the Giant QB play this year "terrific."

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 9:14

Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

btw - all this talk of Beckham is meaningless since he was drafted BEFORE we picked.  i can only imagine what this board would have been like if we traded up for him, only to see him miss all of camp and pre-season and the first month of the season with an injury.  and who knows if he would have performed at the level he has with the Jets QB situation.

no, but Eli is a 2-time super bowl winning QB who knows how to play the game. and for all his struggles this year, he still is completing 62% of his passes, has 21 TDs and 12 Ints.

geno, the guy you were hyping non-stop before the season, had a 56% completion rate, 7 TDs and 10 ints in 7-1/2 games before getting pulled.
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 9:25

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

no, but Eli is a 2-time super bowl winning QB who knows how to play the game.  and for all his struggles this year, he still is completing 62% of his passes, has 21 TDs and 12 Ints.

geno, the guy you were hyping non-stop before the season, had a 56% completion rate, 7 TDs and 10 ints in 7-1/2 games before getting pulled.

And how many would be incompletions did beckham make completions last night?

No starting the season with Harvin/beckham instead of David Nelson (where is he now) wouldn't have helped our offense or young QB...I agree with you and blindside...more talent never helps teams win...its all coaching...or geno...or whatever is convienent to make an argument to preserve idzik's great off season moves.

yes, no chance we pull out that GB game if Harvin or Beckham were on the field instead of Nelson.

Also, he was injured in Giants practice doing what the Giants do in practice. How do we know he would have suffered the same injury in Jets practice? I find that as an assumption as well.

We dont know he would have injured his hamstring playing for the Jets...like saying Joe Theisman would have broke his leg if his career was as a 49er...how do you know that...
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 9:26

hobson54 wrote:

Guilty as charged. Embarassed
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 9:28

GratefulJet wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

Guilty as charged.  Embarassed

Kind of a low blow though. Not sure the point of calling that out by him if he doesnt know if it offended her...kind of interesting place to jump into a conversation.

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 9:34

Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

no, but Eli is a 2-time super bowl winning QB who knows how to play the game.  and for all his struggles this year, he still is completing 62% of his passes, has 21 TDs and 12 Ints.

And how many would be incompletions did beckham make completions last night?

No starting the season with Harvin/beckham instead of David Nelson (where is he now) wouldn't have helped our offense or young QB...I agree with you and blindside...more talent never helps teams win...its all coaching...or geno...or whatever is convienent to make an argument to preserve idzik's great off season moves.

yes, no chance we pull out that GB game if Harvin or Beckham were on the field instead of Nelson.

Also, he was injured in Giants practice doing what the Giants do in practice.  How do we know he would have suffered the same injury in Jets practice?  I find that as an assumption as well.

We dont know he would have injured his hamstring playing for the Jets...like saying Joe Theisman would have broke his leg if his career was as a 49er...how do you know that...

so when Jets players get hurt in practice, it's Idzik's fault (McDougle and Shaq Evans are busts according to you and many here since they got hurt). when other players get hurt in their practice, we don't know if it would have happened here.

and where did anyone say Idzik had a great off-season. please find one post where i mentioned that. if anything, we can go to the old board where you sung the praise of our draft class, said how much you loved the decker and CJ signings and so on. you loved pryor, loved amaro, loved mcdougle, and so on. now they are all bums and busts.
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 9:46

Superman55 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

Guilty as charged.  Embarassed

Kind of a low blow though.  Not sure the point of calling that out by him if he doesnt know if it offended her...kind of interesting place to jump into a conversation.

All she did was point out there are a lot of rookies having an impact out there, and Pryor isn't one of them. The team is 2-8, and if fans can't even vent a little without being called out for being SOJ fans, then what's the point of having a message board?
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 10:19

If a player is allowed to play through the learning curve, they are being babied and competition is a farce, if they have competition and a high draft pick has to sit and learn, they are a bust

The joy of being an internet troll (or muchracking reporter) is that there is always some negative spin to put on anything. When the team has a losing record, it just makes it that much easier to find stuff to stir up.

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 11:24

I have a strong feeling that Idzik (like myself) had Odell Beckham Jr. on the top of his draft board. With all the talent the Giants had a WR, most draft experts felt that the Giants were going to draft an OL with their # 1 pick.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 13:06

cysporsche wrote:I have a strong feeling that Idzik (like myself) had Odell Beckham Jr. on the top of his draft board. With all the talent the Giants had a WR, most draft experts felt that the Giants were going to draft an OL with their # 1 pick.

Go Jets...Cyborg

I agree. I think Beckham would have been higher on the big board.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017 - 22:39