A New Community for Jets Fans


    Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Share
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19487
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by Superman55 on Thu 2 Oct 2014 - 14:13

    Wonder if Rex wonders...what would my record be with $21 mill worth of talent added to this roster like everyone else I face? Guess I'll never know...

    Woody Johnson says Rex Ryan will be evaluated after season

    Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
    Woody
    Getty Images
    At a time when it seems as if persons other than Jets coach Rex Ryan are responsible for quarterback Geno Smith remaining the starter, Ryan remains the guy who’ll ultimately be responsible for the performance of the team, regardless of who the quarterback is.

    Johnson explained during a press conference with reporters that Ryan’s status will be determined after the current season. But Johnson hinted that Rex’s future doesn’t hinge on a playoff berth.

    “We don’t look at it that way,” Johnson said regarding a playoff-or-bust mandate, via Dom Cosentino of NJ.com. “We’re looking to build a team both on the field and through our coaches that we feel is the best we can get. And so we make those decisions at the end of the season, when we evaluate everything.”

    Asked whether Rex could return even if the streak of non-playoff appearances runs to four, Johnson reiterated that those decisions will be made at the appropriate time.

    “Those are the kinds of decisions that we make at the end of the season,” Johnson said. “And we’ll evaluate everybody and see what the best plan is going forward.”

    As to Smith, Johnson’s evaluation is strong.

    “I have a lot of confidence in Geno,” Johnson said, via Seth Walder of the New York Daily News. “I think Geno can be a franchise quarterback.”

    The one caveat? Johnson believes Smith’s use of an “F” bomb — twice — toward the stands on Sunday was “unacceptable.” The league likely agrees, via the fine letter that undoubtedly was sent to Smith this week.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by football51 on Thu 2 Oct 2014 - 17:19

    Actually, he didn't. He DID hint that it's not necessarily playoffs or bust for Rex to stay. By the way, how is all the cap money spent by Oakland, Tampa, and the Pats, working out for them? Maybe, Rex is looking at them, and saying that you get what you pay for. In the Pats case, they're paying for 2009 in 2014.

    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

    Posts : 190
    Points : 3847
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by LIJETFAN on Thu 2 Oct 2014 - 17:57

    I think it is not so much the amount of free cap space that is concerning. It is that the holes weren't filled in the draft or via Free Agency. We also don't know what Idzik's thinking is about next year's free agent class and the players on the roster that we want to keep. So that is a factor too when thinking about the cap. I don't think the Jets should overspend in Free Agency. Tannenbaum did that and it didn't work out. It worked initially with a younger more talented roster, but long term it was a problem.

    There is a fine line between being penny-wise and pound foolish. Idzik needs to be the former. If the draft is going to be how he builds the team (which is the right strategy IMHO), then you need to draft exceptionally well. And you fill holes on the roster through Free Agency. Idzik last year did not draft well, and there are still holes on the roster that might have been filled at least in part via FA. So that is why everyone is frustrated by all the cap space. I tend to agree with that, and there were players that could be had for reasonable salaries that would not have hurt the Jets cap long term. But the extra cap space in and of itself is not the problem. If Idzik would have done a better job assembling this team to compete given this year's schedule then this discussion would be moot.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by football51 on Thu 2 Oct 2014 - 18:03

    I think it's way too premature to say that Idzik didn't draft well in 2014. Drafts get evaluated a few years in, not a few games in. We have no idea what the long term potential of McDougle, Shaq Evans, Dakota Dozier, Quincy Enunwa, etc will be. As i referenced in another thread, Idzik inherited a mess after 2012. To think it's logical to have no holes 20 games into his regime isn't being fair IMO. Let's see what he does with our cap space. I'm betting he resigns Wilkerson, Snacks, Kerley, Davis, etc. Keeping the talent that you develop is much better than overpaying for someone on the open market who'll never live up to the deal you'll have to give them.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by football51 on Thu 2 Oct 2014 - 18:07

    Shockingly Rolling Eyes , Florio left out a lot of information.








    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11628955/new-york-jets-owner-woody-johnson-geno-smith-franchise-qb-mistakes

    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

    Posts : 190
    Points : 3847
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by LIJETFAN on Thu 2 Oct 2014 - 19:00

    football51 wrote:I think it's way too premature to say that Idzik didn't draft well in 2014. Drafts get evaluated a few years in, not a few games in. We have no idea what the long term potential of McDougle, Shaq Evans, Dakota Dozier, Quincy Enunwa, etc will be. As i referenced in another thread, Idzik inherited a mess after 2012. To think it's logical to have no holes 20 games into his regime isn't being fair IMO. Let's see what he does with our cap space. I'm betting he resigns Wilkerson, Snacks, Kerley, Davis, etc. Keeping the talent that you develop is much better than overpaying for someone on the open market who'll never live up to the deal you'll have to give them.

    I said on another thread I thought the results of his drafts were mixed. You're right 51 it is too early to tell on some of these picks long term, but the production from this draft has been very limited up and to this point. So maybe I should amend my statement to say that the draft has not produced a lot of results at this point. McDougle and Evans are gone of the year. And who knows if either of them will ever be able to play at a high level after their injuries. Dozier is a developmental guard so he was not really expected to contribute this year. Enunwa is on the practice squad and not ready for prime time. Maybe one day he will be, but right now he is a non-factor. But out of 12 picks, we have 2 starters, one reserve, one Special Teams player and the rest are either injured, cut or on the PS. So, I am not sure how that can be viewed any other way than mixed results at best.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2858
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Thu 2 Oct 2014 - 20:18

    The assumption that spending more would've made the difference is a tired argument. I can reference so many examples of sports teams that spend huge sums of money and have nothing to show for it. Rex isn't on any "hot seat". That's a media creation. Every player, coach, and front office position should be evaluated annually. That's nothing new. This is the vultures circling.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19487
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by Superman55 on Fri 3 Oct 2014 - 8:35

    king


    Last edited by Superman55 on Fri 3 Oct 2014 - 9:19; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19487
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by Superman55 on Fri 3 Oct 2014 - 8:36

    LIJETFAN wrote:I think it is not so much the amount of free cap space that is concerning.  It is that the holes weren't filled in the draft or via Free Agency.  We also don't know what Idzik's thinking is about next year's free agent class and the players on the roster that we want to keep.  So that is a factor too when thinking about the cap.  I don't think the Jets should overspend in Free Agency.  Tannenbaum did that and it didn't work out.  It worked initially with a younger more talented roster, but long term it was a problem.  

    There is a fine line between being penny-wise and pound foolish.  Idzik needs to be the former.  If the draft is going to be how he builds the team (which is the right strategy IMHO), then you need to draft exceptionally well.  And you fill holes on the roster through Free Agency.  Idzik last year did not draft well, and there are still holes on the roster that might have been filled at least in part via FA.  So that is why everyone is frustrated by all the cap space.  I tend to agree with that, and there were players that could be had for reasonable salaries that would not have hurt the Jets cap long term.  But the extra cap space in and of itself is not the problem.  If Idzik would have done a better job assembling this team to compete given this year's schedule then this discussion would be moot.  


    You were on fire yesterday! Smile. I think if McDougle and Evans/Saunders/Enu pan out, and they still may, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But the fact his draft picks aren't making an impact across the board, and he didn't have FAs filling our gaps, very few of our holes, almost none, were Filled with $50 mill in cap space and 12 picks...

    To your point, Idzik strategy is only a good one if he drafts well...so unless he improves in that area, the current jets level of play is what we're going to see under the Idzik regime...almost good, but not good enough.

    Maybe Bradway is the problem..,

    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 206
    Points : 12261
    Join date : 2014-09-10

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by Metjetgal on Fri 3 Oct 2014 - 11:53

    Woody is a clown

    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

    Posts : 190
    Points : 3847
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by LIJETFAN on Fri 3 Oct 2014 - 13:00

    Superman55 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:I think it is not so much the amount of free cap space that is concerning.  It is that the holes weren't filled in the draft or via Free Agency.  We also don't know what Idzik's thinking is about next year's free agent class and the players on the roster that we want to keep.  So that is a factor too when thinking about the cap.  I don't think the Jets should overspend in Free Agency.  Tannenbaum did that and it didn't work out.  It worked initially with a younger more talented roster, but long term it was a problem.  

    There is a fine line between being penny-wise and pound foolish.  Idzik needs to be the former.  If the draft is going to be how he builds the team (which is the right strategy IMHO), then you need to draft exceptionally well.  And you fill holes on the roster through Free Agency.  Idzik last year did not draft well, and there are still holes on the roster that might have been filled at least in part via FA.  So that is why everyone is frustrated by all the cap space.  I tend to agree with that, and there were players that could be had for reasonable salaries that would not have hurt the Jets cap long term.  But the extra cap space in and of itself is not the problem.  If Idzik would have done a better job assembling this team to compete given this year's schedule then this discussion would be moot.  


    You were on fire yesterday! Smile. I think if McDougle and Evans/Saunders/Enu pan out, and they still may, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  But the fact his draft picks aren't making an impact across the board, and he didn't have FAs filling our gaps, very few of our holes, almost none, were Filled with $50 mill in cap space and 12 picks...

    To your point, Idzik strategy is only a good one if he drafts well...so unless he improves in that area, the current jets level of play is what we're going to see under the Idzik regime...almost good, but not good enough.

    Maybe Bradway is the problem..,

    Thanks 55, LOL. Every once and while I have something interesting to say. Glad it resonated with so many.

    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

    Posts : 187
    Points : 4272
    Join date : 2014-09-04
    Age : 67
    Location : Scottsdale AZ

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by soj on Fri 3 Oct 2014 - 20:24

    Didn't Woody say today that Rex will not just be judeged on his w-l? So I am not sure I agree with this thread... just go to NYJETS.COM and look at the news clippings for today... ALL about what Woody said.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19487
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by Superman55 on Fri 3 Oct 2014 - 20:54

    soj wrote:Didn't Woody say today that Rex will not just be judeged on his w-l?  So I am not sure I agree with this thread... just go to NYJETS.COM and look at the news clippings for today... ALL about what Woody said.

    I said a quote where he did say that it wasn't play-offs or be fired. I think he did allude to it would be based on how the team is playing. But he did say this team is not playing or being coached up to its potential, which also isn't endorsing. I don't think he'll be happy if this team is 2-6 in 4 more games.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2858
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Sat 4 Oct 2014 - 11:11

    Superman55 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:I think it is not so much the amount of free cap space that is concerning.  It is that the holes weren't filled in the draft or via Free Agency.  We also don't know what Idzik's thinking is about next year's free agent class and the players on the roster that we want to keep.  So that is a factor too when thinking about the cap.  I don't think the Jets should overspend in Free Agency.  Tannenbaum did that and it didn't work out.  It worked initially with a younger more talented roster, but long term it was a problem.  

    There is a fine line between being penny-wise and pound foolish.  Idzik needs to be the former.  If the draft is going to be how he builds the team (which is the right strategy IMHO), then you need to draft exceptionally well.  And you fill holes on the roster through Free Agency.  Idzik last year did not draft well, and there are still holes on the roster that might have been filled at least in part via FA.  So that is why everyone is frustrated by all the cap space.  I tend to agree with that, and there were players that could be had for reasonable salaries that would not have hurt the Jets cap long term.  But the extra cap space in and of itself is not the problem.  If Idzik would have done a better job assembling this team to compete given this year's schedule then this discussion would be moot.  


    You were on fire yesterday! Smile. I think if McDougle and Evans/Saunders/Enu pan out, and they still may, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  But the fact his draft picks aren't making an impact across the board, and he didn't have FAs filling our gaps, very few of our holes, almost none, were Filled with $50 mill in cap space and 12 picks...

    To your point, Idzik strategy is only a good one if he drafts well...so unless he improves in that area, the current jets level of play is what we're going to see under the Idzik regime...almost good, but not good enough.

    Maybe Bradway is the problem..,

    Idzik brought in Decker, Chris Johnson, Giacomini, Vick, and Patterson. Implying that he's neglecting FA is inaccurate.

    And assuming that this team won't improve after a draft that's still in question due to injury and not enough overall time to effectively or fairly judge it yet, just means you've got an anti-Idzik agenda that you clearly won't budge from.
    avatar
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 405
    Points : 11705
    Join date : 2014-09-06
    Location : Howard Beach, Queens NEW YORK....SON!

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by NYJETSDAN16 on Sat 4 Oct 2014 - 11:16

    Blindsidebrick wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:I think it is not so much the amount of free cap space that is concerning.  It is that the holes weren't filled in the draft or via Free Agency.  We also don't know what Idzik's thinking is about next year's free agent class and the players on the roster that we want to keep.  So that is a factor too when thinking about the cap.  I don't think the Jets should overspend in Free Agency.  Tannenbaum did that and it didn't work out.  It worked initially with a younger more talented roster, but long term it was a problem.  

    There is a fine line between being penny-wise and pound foolish.  Idzik needs to be the former.  If the draft is going to be how he builds the team (which is the right strategy IMHO), then you need to draft exceptionally well.  And you fill holes on the roster through Free Agency.  Idzik last year did not draft well, and there are still holes on the roster that might have been filled at least in part via FA.  So that is why everyone is frustrated by all the cap space.  I tend to agree with that, and there were players that could be had for reasonable salaries that would not have hurt the Jets cap long term.  But the extra cap space in and of itself is not the problem.  If Idzik would have done a better job assembling this team to compete given this year's schedule then this discussion would be moot.  


    You were on fire yesterday! Smile. I think if McDougle and Evans/Saunders/Enu pan out, and they still may, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  But the fact his draft picks aren't making an impact across the board, and he didn't have FAs filling our gaps, very few of our holes, almost none, were Filled with $50 mill in cap space and 12 picks...

    To your point, Idzik strategy is only a good one if he drafts well...so unless he improves in that area, the current jets level of play is what we're going to see under the Idzik regime...almost good, but not good enough.

    Maybe Bradway is the problem..,

    Idzik brought in Decker, Chris Johnson, Giacomini, Vick, and Patterson. Implying that he's neglecting FA is inaccurate.

    And assuming that this team won't improve after a draft that's still in question due to injury and not enough overall time to effectively or fairly judge it yet, just means you've got an anti-Idzik agenda that you clearly won't budge from.

    BlindsideBrick & LIJETSFAN, your spot on...yet some have "Small Minds".
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19487
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by Superman55 on Sat 4 Oct 2014 - 11:55

    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:I think it is not so much the amount of free cap space that is concerning.  It is that the holes weren't filled in the draft or via Free Agency.  We also don't know what Idzik's thinking is about next year's free agent class and the players on the roster that we want to keep.  So that is a factor too when thinking about the cap.  I don't think the Jets should overspend in Free Agency.  Tannenbaum did that and it didn't work out.  It worked initially with a younger more talented roster, but long term it was a problem.  

    There is a fine line between being penny-wise and pound foolish.  Idzik needs to be the former.  If the draft is going to be how he builds the team (which is the right strategy IMHO), then you need to draft exceptionally well.  And you fill holes on the roster through Free Agency.  Idzik last year did not draft well, and there are still holes on the roster that might have been filled at least in part via FA.  So that is why everyone is frustrated by all the cap space.  I tend to agree with that, and there were players that could be had for reasonable salaries that would not have hurt the Jets cap long term.  But the extra cap space in and of itself is not the problem.  If Idzik would have done a better job assembling this team to compete given this year's schedule then this discussion would be moot.  


    You were on fire yesterday! Smile. I think if McDougle and Evans/Saunders/Enu pan out, and they still may, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  But the fact his draft picks aren't making an impact across the board, and he didn't have FAs filling our gaps, very few of our holes, almost none, were Filled with $50 mill in cap space and 12 picks...

    To your point, Idzik strategy is only a good one if he drafts well...so unless he improves in that area, the current jets level of play is what we're going to see under the Idzik regime...almost good, but not good enough.

    Maybe Bradway is the problem..,

    Idzik brought in Decker, Chris Johnson, Giacomini, Vick, and Patterson. Implying that he's neglecting FA is inaccurate.

    And assuming that this team won't improve after a draft that's still in question due to injury and not enough overall time to effectively or fairly judge it yet, just means you've got an anti-Idzik agenda that you clearly won't budge from.

    BlindsideBrick & LIJETSFAN, your spot on...yet some have "Small Minds".

    Praising Idzik's drafts and bashing Geno Smith = contradiction.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Woody places Rex right back on the hot seat

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017 - 11:40