Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+19
hobson54
NCgreen12
Old#15
jetkwondo
danfran
Lakerfan1980
jamesfyo123
soj
NickSINYC
SackExchange
football51
Sarge
The Wicker Man
Metjetgal
Blindsidebrick
WilliesDad
Superman55
NYJETSDAN16
Atljet60
23 posters

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers - 4:25 PM (CBS)

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers - 4:25 PM (CBS) - Page 11 Empty Re: New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers - 4:25 PM (CBS)

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 9:04

LIJETFAN wrote:I haven't had time to post about yesterday's game until now.  I gave this a lot of thought.  There was a point in yesterday's game where this team hit absolutely rock bottom, everyone here knows the play.  The Jets had Rivers for a sack, he wiggles out of it and finds his RB wide open in the flat who then races what 40-50 yards before even being touched.  The game was spiraling out of control long before that, but that to me was the lowest point.  The Jets folded.  They were out coached, out played and out prepared in all three phases.  There were penalties, fumbles, missed tackles, overthrown passes, terrible situational play calls, I could go on and on.  

In a different thread, I made my opinions clear on the state of the roster, Idzik's approach to building the team, his successes and failures.  I've been a Rex supporter for a long time.  I think he is a very good defensive coach, who with talent could win a championship one day if he has the right offensive talent and coaching staff.  He's took the Jets to two AFC Championships, and those teams were great to watch.  They were tough and intimidating on defense, and physical on offense.  At one point we had the #1 Rushing attack and the #1 defense in football.  That's generally a championship combination.  So, he can win.  He has led his teams to playoff wins over Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Carlson Palmer.  All of that said, I'm sorry to say, it's time for Rex to go.

Rex is not responsible for the talent or lack thereof on this roster at certain positions.  He is not responsible for the draft or free agency.  He is not responsible for managing the cap.  He is not responsible for the brutal schedule the Jets had to open the season, so brutal it bordered on ridiculous. (I think the schedule-maker is a Pats fan).  But, he is responsible for how this team prepares and plays.  And, after watching the game yesterday, he lost this team across the board.  This is not an ascending team, it is a team on a downward spiral.   The Jets didn't show up yesterday in what was undoubtedly a must-win game.  Even if Rex managed to turn this season around and say go 7-9, it doesn't matter.  His time here was over yesterday.  I don't like to say it, because I like Rex.  But that was it.  The Jets would be wise to fire him now and put an interim coach in place.  Woody would never do that, but that would be the right decision.  The Jets need to start thinking about a new coach and new regime now.

And by the way, Idzik should be put on notice too.  He gets one more season in my opinion to see his plan come start to come to fruition, because right now it's hard to see exactly what that plan is.  I have never been a fan of Terry Bradway.  When he was a GM he was atrocious.  As a talent evaluator, his record is very mixed, just like these most recent drafts.  I believe it is time for him to go as well.  Bring in someone new with a fresh perspective.  He has been with the Jets since Herm Edwards was the coach.  Maybe it's time to find someone new there as well.

Agreed, clean house across the board with Idzik getting 1 more offseason...but just 1.  His decisions need to lead to results on the field; not wins, just results...yesterday you saw the coaching staff couldn't do anything to get results on the field, so their days together here are over, and the GM better hope he can find players that can contribute in the next regime, or so are his.  It may even be hard for him to find a head coach that wants this situation with the way he signs and drafts players...
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers - 4:25 PM (CBS) - Page 11 Empty Re: New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers - 4:25 PM (CBS)

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 9:34

You are right 55, finding a new coach would be very difficult if the GM is in a tenuous situation. And right now, Idzik's seat should be at least warm. He is two years into building his team. So he deserves a little more time. But if the GM is on the hot seat, what coach would come here if he knows that the GM could be fired and he could be replaced in a season or two. That's a tough sell.

The coach, GM, personnel department and the owner all need to be on the same page. If they aren't, the organization will be in disarray.

The Jets spent a lot of time and effort and a long exhaustive search before settling on Idzik. So pulling the plug on Idzik will take a little longer than one year in my opinion. The right way for the Jets to do this honestly is to start over completely. But that is costly and time consuming and that won't happen. Idzik should get more time to build the team he wants with the coach he wants. I know he likes Rex and they get along great. And I think keeping Rex was the right decision. But now, his time here is done.

If I were Idzik, I would start cleaning house now, sending a strong message to the NFL that, we are open for business. We are looking to build a championship team. And it starts right now - and then start making decisions. New coach, new head of personnel, whatever. But start it now. So that when the season ends you hit the ground running and you are not playing catchup. There will be other firings this offseason too. The Jets need to move fast and find the people they want, get them in the door and hire them.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 9:54

LIJETFAN wrote:You are right 55, finding a new coach would be very difficult if the GM is in a tenuous situation.  And right now, Idzik's seat should be at least warm.  He is two years into building his team.  So he deserves a little more time.  But if the GM is on the hot seat, what coach would come here if he knows that the GM could be fired and he could be replaced in a season or two.  That's a tough sell.  

The coach, GM, personnel department and the owner all need to be on the same page.  If they aren't, the organization will be in disarray.  

The Jets spent a lot of time and effort and a long exhaustive search before settling on Idzik.  So pulling the plug on Idzik will take a little longer than one year in my opinion.  The right way for the Jets to do this honestly is to start over completely.  But that is costly and time consuming and that won't happen.  Idzik should get more time to build the team he wants with the coach he wants.  I know he likes Rex and they get along great.  And I think keeping Rex was the right decision.  But now, his time here is done.  

If I were Idzik, I would start cleaning house now, sending a strong message to the NFL that, we are open for business.  We are looking to build a championship team.  And it starts right now - and then start making decisions.  New coach, new head of personnel, whatever.  But start it now.  So that when the season ends you hit the ground running and you are not playing catchup.  There will be other firings this offseason too.  The Jets need to move fast and find the people they want, get them in the door and hire them.  

They wont do that though, IMO. I think rex makes it till the end of the season...just my opinion.

However, I agree on the open for business idea. I would remove Rex now and see if Marty would be an interim HC. Bradway would be removed now. I would take it a step further and see what teams want on our roster before the 10/28 trade deadline. I'd move Vick and/or CJ2k for mid to late rd picks. We need picks and obviously neither is in our long terms plan. Same goes for our CBs not named Milliner, Walls and/or Wilson for unconditional picks are fine... Jets need to start selling and dumping now, get Wilkerson, Snacks, and Kerley resigned now to count on this year's cap, and start heading for the browns approach from last year...

LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 10:04

I agree, they won't fire Rex now. But, you can definitely make a case that now is the time. I really don't like saying it, I like Rex. I really do. He gave this team character and an identity. He has charisma, and he is a good defensive football coach. But, I really feel like after yesterday his time is done.

Idizk is "deliberate" in his decision-making. So he is going to take everything in and not make quick decisions. I can't see them moving players on the roster. This roster is what it is. They will make cuts at the end of the season.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 10:08

LIJETFAN wrote:I agree, they won't fire Rex now.  But, you can definitely make a case that now is the time.  I really don't like saying it, I like Rex. I really do.  He gave this team character and an identity.  He has charisma, and he is a good defensive football coach.  But, I really feel like after yesterday his time is done.  

Idizk is "deliberate" in his decision-making.  So he is going to take everything in and not make quick decisions.  I can't see them moving players on the roster.  This roster is what it is.  They will make cuts at the end of the season.  

Very Happy I'm saying what I think they should do, not what I think they will do.  They wont do what they should do, that not Idzik's style. He takes his time making wrong decisions. Most people can make wrong decisions quickly, not our guy.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 10:26

i'm with LIJETFAN

saying this as a long-time and ardent rex supporter, it looks like it is time for the team to go in a new direction. now i don't think making the change right now is something they will, or even should, be doing. but i have a hard time seeing this team going forward under rex after this year.

as to the suggestion that MM takes over, this just makes no sense. MM has a dreadful record as a head coach, and it's not like his offensive unit has justified him being "promoted" to interim head coach.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 10:56

hobson54 wrote:i'm with LIJETFAN

saying this as a long-time and ardent rex supporter, it looks like it is time for the team to go in a new direction.  now i don't think making the change right now is something they will, or even should, be doing.  but i have a hard time seeing this team going forward under rex after this year.

as to the suggestion that MM takes over, this just makes no sense.  MM has a dreadful record as a head coach, and it's not like his offensive unit has justified him being "promoted" to interim head coach.

He wont be a good HC, just like we don't have a good HC or GM now.  It's the message that is important.  LI's point that we're tearing it down, holding people accountable, and taking actions due to failing to meet expectations would be the point.

Im not sure there is anyone on staff that could pick up the headset if Rex doesnt stay on...is that reason enough to keep him on?  When you're on a bus to 3 wins, does it matter if MM or rex is driving it?
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 11:22

This team is a real mess right now and unlike the Giants when they got into their down spiral you knew you had the steady hand of Tom Coughlin to right the ship at some point. The Jets don't have that to fall back on. Maybe the most depressing thing is my lost confidence in Idzik. Even if Rex is removed I do not have confidence he could act decisive enough to turn things around. He's been somewhat invisible during this mess and you just don't have enough positive history with him to feel good about him architecting a turn around. Maybe we just need to hit rock bottom and have our own suck for Luck drive with Mariota. Knowing the Jets they will kick a meaningless FG in their last game to win and blow that.

BTW - If they replace Rex I am not sure there is any head coaching material from the list of Jets senior coaches - Anthony Lynn, Dennis Thurman, Marty and Thomas McGaughey. Dennis Thurman and Anthony Lynn have been with the Jets the longest and they would probably be the favorite.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 11:50

I agree that Terry Bradway needs to finally go; however, Jeff Bauer heads up the scouting & draft.

I would have kicked a FG to end up 31-3 which sounds better than being goose egged !

Yesterdays game convinced me the Rex has to go, and Geno is not part of our future either.

The game was so ugly, I really did not even want to comment. Bang Head

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 12:27

I still think Rex's replacement will come from the Carroll tree in Seattle. One of the coordinators, Quinn or Bevell. Idzik will have two years to make it work with that guy, though there would need to be improvement in year one.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 12:37

SackExchange wrote:I still think Rex's replacement will come from the Carroll tree in Seattle. One of the coordinators, Quinn or Bevell. Idzik will have two years to make it work with that guy, though there would need to be improvement in year one.

That's what I think happens too...I just dont have confidence in the grocery shopper to pick the right ingredients for his favorite cook, as Parcells would say...
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 12:46

I don't have an opinion at this point on who would replace Rex. Seattle seems obvious because of Idzik's connection to the franchise. But who knows if Bevell or Quinn would even want to come here to the East Coast? They will both probably be sought after and will have their pick of jobs. Let's say the SF job opens up, who isn't going to want that job with that team, new stadium, good personnel dept. The Bills will get new ownership, maybe that coaching job opens up with a new GM. Miami could be looking for a new coach. Those are the teams that immediately come to mind, but there may be others.

But if I was Idzik, I would start getting my list together this morning for new coaches, and some new scouts and get them working now, like right now. Because if Idzik flops in the next offseason this rebuilding process will take years. And Jet fans have no more patience.

And I would add this - we don't know what Woody Johnson is saying behind closed doors, but it is time for him to drop the hammer too. He needs to say, this is not acceptable, and it stops now. And everyone's job is on the line for here on out. I am not suggesting he become Jerry Jones. But he needs to send a message to the fans that this will not be accepted while he is the owner. Start with that, and then maybe just maybe the course of this franchise will start to change.

LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 12:54

I should add that the last time the franchise was in this state of disarray and falling apart, Leon Hess hired Parcells. Now, there is no one like Parcells out there. But maybe hiring an experienced offensive coach who is more of a disciplinarian would be a good idea. I don't know who those candidates would be - Billick, Gruden who is always mentioned, Fassel, people like that. I am not a fan of retreads, but maybe that is worth considering too. From the college ranks, I can't think of anyone offhand.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 13:23

LIJETFAN wrote:I don't have an opinion at this point on who would replace Rex.  Seattle seems obvious because of Idzik's connection to the franchise.  But who knows if Bevell or Quinn would even want to come here to the East Coast?  They will both probably be sought after and will have their pick of jobs.  Let's say the SF job opens up, who isn't going to want that job with that team, new stadium, good personnel dept.  The Bills will get new ownership, maybe that coaching job opens up with a new GM.  Miami could be looking for a new coach.  Those are the teams that immediately come to mind, but there may be others.  

But if I was Idzik, I would start getting my list together this morning for new coaches, and some new scouts and get them working now, like right now.  Because if Idzik flops in the next offseason this rebuilding process will take years.  And Jet fans have no more patience.  

And I would add this - we don't know what Woody Johnson is saying behind closed doors, but it is time for him to drop the hammer too.  He needs to say, this is not acceptable, and it stops now.  And everyone's job is on the line for here on out.  I am not suggesting he become Jerry Jones.  But he needs to send a message to the fans that this will not be accepted while he is the owner.  Start with that, and then maybe just maybe the course of this franchise will start to change.  

No conspiracy theorist, but we are sitting with a load of available cap space that might make it a pretty attractive job. Add to that possibly a top 5 pick.  Maybe Idzik gets who he wanted all along.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 13:54

Old#15 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:I don't have an opinion at this point on who would replace Rex.  Seattle seems obvious because of Idzik's connection to the franchise.  But who knows if Bevell or Quinn would even want to come here to the East Coast?  They will both probably be sought after and will have their pick of jobs.  Let's say the SF job opens up, who isn't going to want that job with that team, new stadium, good personnel dept.  The Bills will get new ownership, maybe that coaching job opens up with a new GM.  Miami could be looking for a new coach.  Those are the teams that immediately come to mind, but there may be others.  

But if I was Idzik, I would start getting my list together this morning for new coaches, and some new scouts and get them working now, like right now.  Because if Idzik flops in the next offseason this rebuilding process will take years.  And Jet fans have no more patience.  

And I would add this - we don't know what Woody Johnson is saying behind closed doors, but it is time for him to drop the hammer too.  He needs to say, this is not acceptable, and it stops now.  And everyone's job is on the line for here on out.  I am not suggesting he become Jerry Jones.  But he needs to send a message to the fans that this will not be accepted while he is the owner.  Start with that, and then maybe just maybe the course of this franchise will start to change.  

No conspiracy theorist, but we are sitting with a load of available cap space that might make it a pretty attractive job. Add to that possibly a top 5 pick.  Maybe Idzik gets who he wanted all along.

This may be possible...next year Idzik will have $50 mill in cap space and a top 5 pick in every round, maybe someone will think that's sexy...if it wasn't for Idzik had $50 mill in cap space and 12 picks last year and did nothing with it...why would the NFL coach think he won't screw it up in 2015 the way he did in 2014?

Also note every team in the NFL is getting an additional $30 mill in cap space next year when the cap # increases from $122 to $150 mill, so cap space wont be anything special in 2015...it was in 2014 when not as many teams had it and we screwed it up...
    jamesfyo123
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by jamesfyo123 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 13:58

Superman55 wrote:
    Old#15 wrote:

This may be possible...next year Idzik will have $50 mill in cap space and a top 5 pick in every round, maybe someone will think that's sexy...if it wasn't for Idzik had $50 mill in cap space and 12 picks last year and did nothing with it...why would the NFL coach think he won't screw it up in 2015 the way he did in 2014?

Also note every team in the NFL is getting an additional $30 mill in cap space next year when the cap # increases from $122 to $150 mill, so cap space wont be anything special in 2015...it was in 2014 when not as many teams had it and we screwed it up...
    Because coaches are generally extremely cocky individuals who think that (assuming they see Idzik as doing a terrible job) their influence can right whatever Idzik wronged?
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 14:05

The only bright spot i witnessed yesterday was when Manish Mehta asked Sheldon a Question and Sheldon responded: "YOU DON'T ASK ME QUESTION ANYMORE". l
    Vintage JETS!
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 14:09

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:The only bright spot i witnessed yesterday was when Manish Mehta asked Sheldon a Question and Sheldon responded: "YOU DON'T ASK ME QUESTION ANYMORE". l
    Vintage JETS!

I havent seen that, do you have a link?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 14:09

jamesfyo123 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    Old#15 wrote:

Because coaches are generally extremely cocky individuals who think that (assuming they see Idzik as doing a terrible job) their influence can right whatever Idzik wronged?

Okay. I agree there.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 14:25

Superman55 wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:The only bright spot i witnessed yesterday was when Manish Mehta asked Sheldon a Question and Sheldon responded: "YOU DON'T ASK ME QUESTION ANYMORE". l
    Vintage JETS!

I havent seen that, do you have a link?

It was on the boomer and Carton show this morning. Hysterical. I'll see if i can find it.
    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hunter07 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 14:55

Grueden "might" be interested - he's talked about getting back into coaching. ...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 15:09

Hunter07 wrote:Grueden "might" be interested - he's talked about getting back into coaching. ...

he said he'd only go to a team with a franchise QB...I dont want him anyway. He isn't a great coach, IMO.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 17:13

Superman55 wrote:
    Hunter07 wrote:Grueden "might" be interested - he's talked about getting back into coaching. ...

he said he'd only go to a team with a franchise QB...I dont want him anyway.  He isn't a great coach, IMO.

Yeah i agree. He is more of a personality than coach...We've had that before (i.e Herm)
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 21:11

Chargers before they played the Jets were ranked 32nd in the NFL in yards per carry (YPC) at 2.4...
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 14:52

Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 2m 2 minutes ago
    Quinton Coples wasn't fined for unnecessary roughness on Chargers RB Donald Brown (helmet ripped off). Bad call to begin with. #nyj

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 4:10