A New Community for Jets Fans

Reason to hope...

Polishjetfan
    Navigator
    Navigator

Reason to hope...

Post by Polishjetfan on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 0:14

After watching the Pats w the all world Tom Brady struggle on offense due to a lack of weapons and offensive line help it made me think of two very posative things...

1) if Brady is going to struggle like that due to a lack of talent around him, what can we realisticly expect of Geno? W an increase in legit targets, Geno will likely flourish!!!

2) everyone has turned into chicken little and saying the sky is falling on the season but I haven't heard anyone point out that the jets are in the middle of a killer stretch of their schedule while other teams in the division are playing the weaker portion.

Who in this division is beating GB? The chargers? The broncos? The chiefs? Or the Lions? (We should have beat the bears, refs stole that one from us). The bottom line is that the division winner will likely be the team w the best in division record!!! After watching the pats on MNF can someone pls tell me why that cannot be the Jets?

This maybe one of the worst divisions in football but one team gets to go to the playoffs from it. The pats are a shell of themselves. It's wide open. Here is to hoping we take advantage of the opportunity!!!
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Re: Reason to hope...

Post by The Wicker Man on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 7:00

I'll take one game at a time, when I look ahead, my stomach churns.
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by danfran on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 9:14

Not happy with what I'm seeing from Geno, but, they don't have to go 11-5. They just have to win what is shaping up as a weak division.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 12:18

This division is awful. Truly awful.

But I'd still rather play Geno than go for it with Vick, largely because I don't think Vick would provide an upgrade over the turnovers.
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 13:35

Fighting long time years of misery but holding on because we haven't lost to an AFC team or AFC east team and our division stinks big time. Hoping Geno can get things fixed.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:38

There is not a single good team, Jets and Pats both included, in this division.

That said, Jets have their destiny in their own hands.
    Atljet60
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Atljet60 on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:47

One thing can be stated. We have yet to put up a stinker this season and all games have close results. This is mentioned with emphasis on "yet."
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:53

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 8h 8 hours ago
    AFC East is a dumpster fire through one quarter of season. Best news for #Jets is that despite being one game behind NE/MIA/BUF is that...

...They have zero AFC losses. NE still has to play GB/CHI/DET (and CIN this week). BUF/MIA already have 2 AFC losses.

Terrified to outright say Brady is done but playing behind that OL and with those WRs is going to be rough on a declining QB #NFL #AFCEast
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 16:16

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 1m 1 minute ago
    Ron Jaworski, on ESPN radio: The New England Patriots are no longer the dominant team in the AFC East ...Adds, Pats won't go 10-6.
    Atljet60
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Atljet60 on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 16:32

I don't know if I can jump on the "ding dong the Pats are dead" bandwagon after one quarter. I'd like to see first how they respond to this butt whipping. They rarely lose back to back games, and haven't lost 3 in a row since... well I'd have to look. But I'm not that interested right now.
    JohnnyBaseball
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by JohnnyBaseball on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 16:41

The league has achieved such parity that the old maxim "any given Sunday" is more true than ever. Furthermore, teams rely so heavily on untested players from year to year (i.e. rookies), and so it's more possible for a football team to simply improve over the course of the season than in other sports. So I'm not giving up just yet!

soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 19:03

So we hope Geno turns it around... sorry guys I have no faith in him at all. he seems to have regressed into the player we saw way to much of last year...so I hope I am wrong but 7 turnovers in 4 games ...

also I don't believe for a second they believe in him - anymore - mainly because of his propensity to turn the ball over and make bad decisions with the game on the line. They preached all off season about ball security and the guy has 7 turnovers what the hell else are they going to say he sux and we blew it...
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 19:21

soj wrote:So we hope Geno turns it around...  sorry guys I have no faith in him at all.  he seems to have regressed into the player we saw way to much of last year...so I hope I am wrong but 7 turnovers in 4 games ...  

also I don't believe for a second they believe in him - anymore - mainly because of his propensity to turn the ball over and make bad decisions with the game on the line.  They preached all off season about ball security and the guy has 7 turnovers what the hell else are they going to say he sux and we blew it...

Matt Ryan has 5 int's

Brady has 4 int's

Eli has 5 int's

Not sure on fumbles lost for the above, but the media makes it sound like Geno Smith is the only qb turning the ball over and that after 20 games, he's supposed to be a finished product without flaws.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Wed 1 Oct 2014 - 0:41

Atljet60 wrote:I don't know if I can jump on the "ding dong the Pats are dead" bandwagon after one quarter. I'd like to see first how they respond to this butt whipping. They rarely lose back to back games, and haven't lost 3 in a row since... well I'd have to look. But I'm not that interested right now.

The problem is, they have not looked good in any of their games this year. They've played four pretty poor games.

Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 on Wed 1 Oct 2014 - 8:00

What will be interesting is that Pats play a 3-0 Bengals team coming off a bye on Sunday night. So its not like they have a breather this week after the thumping at the hands of Chiefs. Sort of at a crossroads, and I'm crossing my fingers that the end is near. Not holding my breath though.

Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 on Wed 1 Oct 2014 - 13:18

"Jets lead NFL in sacks (14). ...This defense is the first since 1985 to register four sacks in three straight games."

Unfortunately, we lost all three games and forced how many turnovers?

soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj on Wed 1 Oct 2014 - 14:56

football51 wrote:
    soj wrote:So we hope Geno turns it around...  sorry guys I have no faith in him at all.  he seems to have regressed into the player we saw way to much of last year...so I hope I am wrong but 7 turnovers in 4 games ...  

also I don't believe for a second they believe in him - anymore - mainly because of his propensity to turn the ball over and make bad decisions with the game on the line.  They preached all off season about ball security and the guy has 7 turnovers what the hell else are they going to say he sux and we blew it...

Matt Ryan has 5 int's

Brady has 4 int's

Eli has 5 int's  

Not sure on fumbles lost for the above, but the media makes it sound like Geno Smith is the only qb turning the ball over and that after 20 games, he's supposed to be a finished product without flaws.

51, I understand that but he seems to have regressed. Can he turn it around maybe but when i listen to him talk about learning and getting better I am not interested in listening to that BS... we heard enough of that form his predecessor. What I am interested in is ball security and making proper decision something he is not doing.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Wed 1 Oct 2014 - 15:05

But statistically, he hasn't regressed. Expectations were raised higher than he has progressed, but his numbers this year are an improvement on last year. 60% completion rate, better TD/INT ratio, higher passer rating.

He may not be progressing enough, but he is definitely not regressing.
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Wed 1 Oct 2014 - 15:49

Old#15 wrote:"Jets lead NFL in sacks (14). ...This defense is the first since 1985 to register four sacks in three straight games."

Unfortunately, we lost all three games and forced how many turnovers?

Pryor dropped the int against the Raiders. Allen dropped the int against the Bears. We did get the strip sack against the Bears which should've been a td if not for poor officiating(game changing play which probably cost us a win). It looked like we forced a fumble on Bush on Sunday, but the officials felt differently. The opportunities have been there, we just need to clean up the execution.

soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj on Wed 1 Oct 2014 - 18:49

SackExchange wrote:But statistically, he hasn't regressed. Expectations were raised higher than he has progressed, but his numbers this year are an improvement on last year. 60% completion rate, better TD/INT ratio, higher passer rating.

He may not be progressing enough, but he is definitely not regressing.

Ok I'll concede his stats say he is improved.  However, the Jets have the third lowest red zone conversion percentage with touchdowns on five of 14 drives (35.7 percent).  Why doesn't that stat count?  Smith has thrown more than 30 passes in each of the three losses.  His record when he tosses 30 passes or more is 3 - 7.  Why doesn't thata count?  If that isn't enough how do you respond to Detroit safety James Ihedigbo, a former Jet, who said after the Lions’ win Sunday that Smith locks onto his primary receiver.

So his stats say he is a 60% passer but we have 1-3 record and a guy who has a propensity to turn the ball over... just like his predecessor.
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 on Wed 1 Oct 2014 - 19:44

The only hope i have, again sorry to bring this up is to leave Geno the rest of the year at a shot at Mariota.
    Atljet60
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Atljet60 on Wed 1 Oct 2014 - 21:24

SackExchange wrote:
    Atljet60 wrote:I don't know if I can jump on the "ding dong the Pats are dead" bandwagon after one quarter. I'd like to see first how they respond to this butt whipping. They rarely lose back to back games, and haven't lost 3 in a row since... well I'd have to look. But I'm not that interested right now.

The problem is, they have not looked good in any of their games this year. They've played four pretty poor games.

If we take them on Thursday night I may feel better; but we'd have to do no worse than split our next 2 games. As you stated earlier the division is up for grabs.
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 13:40

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 2h 2 hours ago
    Most common question I've been asked this week, is why is there any reason to believe the #Jets will win more than 2-3 games rest of reason

My response is that a healthy Decker and Milliner will make a world of difference to this roster, the opposing QB gauntlet eventually ends..

...and that despite my criticism of him, it is still hard to see this team completely lay down and die on Rex #Jets

It will make a difference when you go from facing Cutler, Stafford, Rivers, Manning to facing Orton, Tannehill, Bridgewater, Whitehurst #NYJ

SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 13:47

This team will play well enough down the stretch to take itself out of a great draft pick.
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 13:54

SackExchange wrote:This team will play well enough down the stretch to take itself out of a great draft pick.

That's why I'm hoping that Smith gets his act together. We won't be anywhere near Mariota.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Oct 2017 - 10:58