A New Community for Jets Fans

Detroit Lions @ New York Jets (CBS)- 1pm

McJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Re: Detroit Lions @ New York Jets (CBS)- 1pm

Post by McJet on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:15

Did Rex really think that his defense would stop them..
    Again what a joke.
    They better get BOOED off that field big time.
    Time to start looking for a new head coach people.
    If seen this act way too long.
    Smith looks a lot like Sanchez out there.
    The offense looks like Schittenheimer is calling the plays.
    How do the Jets not go for it on 4th and 2. Even worse how do the Jets not convert on 3rd and 2. Geno is not the answer.I was optimistic going into the season. Even still after the Raider and Green bay games. Now the sight off him behind center is making me sick.
    For me the Rex Ryan getting fired clock has started.
    When this Jets team loses game #7, which may come before the bye the way this team is going, Ryan will be on the way out.
    I don't have season tickets and i really do not know how the fans that do can take it.How can you spend hundreds of dollars every home sunday and get treated to that display.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:17

Lakerfan1980 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:I don't know why Vick was brought in here, either. What Geno needs to learn, Vick can't teach him. He can't teach Geno about ball protection, since he has none himself.

If people are done with Geno, fine. I think it's premature. But if you are going to pull the plug on him in a lost cause of a season, at least go with Simms over Vick.

Vick is not an interception machine, makes good decisions when throwing the ball and is not afraid.  His problem is bad decisions running the ball and fumbling.  Simms won't get the call if Geno is benched(and he should be), Vick will and I have confidence if he is protected he will score touchdowns.....Vick sees Decker on that 3rd down play and has the courage to make the throw.

Double digit INTs in 5 of 7 seasons in which he started more than half the games. One season with a completion percentage over 60%. 9 or more fumbles in seven seasons.

His turnover problems are as much fumbles as they are INTs, but Dan's point was that he was sick of Geno being a turnover machine, and instead wanted to turn to Vick. I don't see how going from Geno to Vick eliminates the turnovers.

Point is, Geno may not be the long-term answer, but Vick definitely isn't.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:20

The Wicker Man wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    The Wicker Man wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:i'm sorry fellas, but Vick win that game.  Offense needs leadership desperatley. Not a Quarterback who is a turnover machine.

1. VICK is a turnover machine! Have you followed his career before he became a Jet? The guy is a walking turnover.

2. You don't know that the Jets win this game with Vick. Pure speculation.

3. Even if they do win this game, so what? Are they legitimate title contenders with Vick? Can they beat Denver or the elites in the AFC in January, with either Geno or Vick?

I hate to say it, but, going forward, I think Vick gives us the best chance to win. I'm sure he'll get hurt and Geno will finish
    the season. This really sucks.

Vick may give us the best chance of winning. But winning what? Is this team really going anywhere?

May as well use the season to learn about your young QBs, rather than sacrificing the future for 8-8.

I don't think Geno is our future. Back to square 1.

I'm pessimistic that Geno is the answer, as well. But playing Vick offers us no new information on that. I'd rather continue to see what we have in Geno, or at least Simms, before putting in Vick.

I'd rather see what the Jets have in their young QBs than win a few more games in an otherwise lost season.
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:24

I hear ya, Sack, it's just so damn frustrating. I feel like it's "Groundhog Day."
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:25

For what it's worth, Mike Glennon just threw for 245 yards in the second half in a comeback against the Steelers. If he were a Jet, the media and fans would have forced him to be benched by now.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:26

The Wicker Man wrote:I hear ya, Sack, it's just so damn frustrating. I feel like it's "Groundhog Day."

It is frustrating. Incredibly so. A division rival trips onto a Hall of Fame QB in the sixth round, and the Jets can't land a franchise QB after high pick after high pick.
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by danfran on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:29

Geno better start improving and soon. The "fire Rex" calls are coming.

Lakerfan1980
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Lakerfan1980 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:31

Let's not make it about Geno vs. Vick, but about the QB position. I was questioning Geno's ability to throw to the backs and receivers well enough for that to be a threat. Vick is not Geno, he has his own shortcomings, but defensive coordinators, and players know the difference. 1-3, with Geno regressing and seemingly losing confidence, is the perfect time to bring in a veteran like Vick. A few big plays and TD's and the whole team is energized..l.everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop with Geno.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:40

Lakerfan1980 wrote:Let's not make it about Geno vs. Vick, but about the QB position. I was questioning Geno's ability to throw to the backs and receivers well enough for that to be a threat.  Vick is not Geno, he has his own shortcomings, but defensive coordinators, and players know the difference.  1-3, with Geno regressing and seemingly losing confidence, is the perfect time to bring in a veteran like Vick.  A few big plays and TD's and the whole team is energized..l.everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop with Geno.

OK, so you yank Geno and put in Vick. Let's assume that somehow, despite Geno (your words) "losing confidence," benching him doesn't further destroy his confidence. And let's assume Vick comes in and energizes the team (another big presumption).

As a Jets fan, what makes you think that either this fickle and impatient fan base or the brutal Jets media will support yanking Vick to put Geno back in?

If you are suggesting that Vick comes in to steer the ship in the right direction, then turn it back over to Geno, no way. No way will these fans support yanking Vick after he went in and got the job done.

On the other hand, if you are suggesting that Vick comes in and assumes the full-time, permanent starting QB position, then you are yanking the plug on Geno. You are losing valuable progression for a young QB, whether Geno or Simms. Basically, you're mortgaging information on the future for the short-term benefit of mediocrity.

So which is it?

soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:43

this is the third game in a row where:
    1) there were little to no adjustments on O and D,
    2) Why are CB playing 10 yards off,
    3) Geno is - IMHO - another Mark S (errand throws, poor decision making, lack of pocket awareness,7 turnovers sound familiar (?) it certainly does to me.
    4) another six of seven penalties,
    5) another winnable game that was lost in the 1st half because the QB can not elevate his game of his team mates...

I said it earlier in other posts this could get ugly fast unfortunately it is already and the high hopes I had are rooted in the reality that this team is not very good.....

Unless Rex turns into Lombardi and starts coaching up his team not just D he will be looking for work...
    Atljet60
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Atljet60 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:46

I know fans are all chiming in on our QB situation but it looks like it is more problems than Geno. Dropped passes, false starts, broken coverages are just surface things. I think the bigger issue is when will this team function as a team, and when will they play with consistency for a full game. I see signs but we are shooting ourselves in the foot, and right now cannot get out of our own way. This isn't a team that can overcome mistakes, not yet anyway.
    Atljet60
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Atljet60 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:49

It could be a good time to play chargers. They're pretty banged up this week.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:50

Geno MAY be a Sanchez clone, to some degree. Not fully, He has both a better arm and more maturity, though he suffers from some similarities.

Still, Sanchez got four years. Four. He got far too long, but Geno has not had enough time yet. Geno has already shown flashes above what Sanchez showed. He deserves a full second year.
    Atljet60
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Atljet60 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:51

Kristian Dyer @KristianRDyer

Walking off the field, a fan jeers at Geno. Smith responds with "F×ck you." #Jets #Nyjets
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:52

Atljet60 wrote:I know fans are all chiming in on our QB situation but it looks like it is more problems than Geno. Dropped passes, false starts, broken coverages are just surface things. I think the bigger issue is when will this team function as a team, and when will they play with consistency for a full game. I see signs but we are shooting ourselves in the foot, and right now cannot get out of our own way. This isn't a team that can overcome mistakes, not yet anyway.

The team takes its lead from Rex. They play just like him. A lot of effort, all out effort, but they are mistake-prone and play dumb, undisciplined football. The team is a reflection of its head coach. Hard play, a lot of effort, but dumb penalties, decisions, and turnovers.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:53

Atljet60 wrote: Kristian Dyer @KristianRDyer

Walking off the field, a fan jeers at Geno. Smith responds with "F×ck you." #Jets #Nyjets

Ugh. Stupid.

You can get away with that on other teams. On the Jets, the media are looking to magnify any situation they can. They look for molehills to turn into mountains.
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:56

Very frustrating 3 week stretch vs 3 good teams.
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 17:01

I think Nick put it best. I'd leave Smith in and see if he can turn things around. If not, we can be in position to take a qb high in round one. Vick, isn't the future here. At best, he could come in and stop the bleeding and squeeze 8 or 9 wins out. That will take us out of range for a top qb in 2015. If we're going to be bad, let's go all the way. Let's find out if Smith is the answer or we need to shoot for Mariota. I want no part of Winston if he comes out. Qb's need to be leaders and not overgrown, immature babies.

Lakerfan1980
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Lakerfan1980 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 17:03

I really don't care about Geno's future right now,because what I see from his ability in the pocket, it doesn't bode well for the Jets.

What's wrong with a benching? If the former 2nd round pick can't recover and get better from a benching then he isn't the guy anyway.
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 17:07

Lakerfan1980 wrote:I really don't care about Geno's future right now,because what I see from his ability in the pocket, it doesn't bode well for the Jets.

What's wrong with a benching?  If the former 2nd round pick can't recover and get better from a benching then he isn't the guy anyway.

I think he's mentally tough enough to handle it(when benched last year, he came back strong), but unless you believe that Vick is going to right the ship all by himself( discipline issues, dropped passes, blown coverages, etc) squeezing out a few extra wins knocks us out of a premium qb draft pick.

Lakerfan1980
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Lakerfan1980 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 17:14

I think Rex really wants to win and would pull Geno before the team gets close to having a top pick...for a new coach possibly. Geno was giving a short benching for Matt Simms just last season, no reason the Jets should t give the veteran QB a shot to jumstart the offense.

Lakerfan1980
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Lakerfan1980 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 17:19

When Rex is asked about the QB situation and making a change, at least he can't say Geno gives the team it's best chance to win....he won't get away with that one.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 18:01

Lakerfan1980 wrote:I really don't care about Geno's future right now,because what I see from his ability in the pocket, it doesn't bode well for the Jets.

What's wrong with a benching?  If the former 2nd round pick can't recover and get better from a benching then he isn't the guy anyway.

You may not care about Geno's future. I don't care much about this season. I don't think this is the season to put it all together, anyway. The Pats, while descending, are still the best in the division. The Jets aren't competing for a world title this year, no matter what.

So I'd rather see what we have with the younger QBs. Why are so many fans of a franchise that has won division titles, made the playoffs, but hasn't won it all in 45 years so willing to throw away the future for yet another run at a wild card? One of the reasons the Jets haven't won it all is because the team is forced by a ridiculously impatient fan base from actually building a team from the foundation up.
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 18:08

SackExchange wrote:
    Lakerfan1980 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:I don't know why Vick was brought in here, either. What Geno needs to learn, Vick can't teach him. He can't teach Geno about ball protection, since he has none himself.

If people are done with Geno, fine. I think it's premature. But if you are going to pull the plug on him in a lost cause of a season, at least go with Simms over Vick.

Vick is not an interception machine, makes good decisions when throwing the ball and is not afraid.  His problem is bad decisions running the ball and fumbling.  Simms won't get the call if Geno is benched(and he should be), Vick will and I have confidence if he is protected he will score touchdowns.....Vick sees Decker on that 3rd down play and has the courage to make the throw.

Double digit INTs in 5 of 7 seasons in which he started more than half the games. One season with a completion percentage over 60%. 9 or more fumbles in seven seasons.

His turnover problems are as much fumbles as they are INTs, but Dan's point was that he was sick of Geno being a turnover machine, and instead wanted to turn to Vick. I don't see how going from Geno to Vick eliminates the turnovers.

Point is, Geno may not be the long-term answer, but Vick definitely isn't.

I want to turn to Vick because he is a veteran. Something the Jets havent had at the back up position in a long time.  Vick is no rookie. He's been at the highest of high's and the lowest of low's.
    Saying that, he had one of his best statistical seasons with our current O.C.  Stats can be thrown every where.  If that's the case on Vick then Vinny Testaverde should have never been succesful in a Jets uniform because he was one of the worst TD-Interception ratio QB when he was in Tampa.

All i'am saying is that Vick can spark this anemic offense.  We have at this point no production at the QB position with Geno.  Maybe if Vick has a chance, he can have one last stellar season instead of wasting a season in trying to develop a 2nd rounder who just doesn't get it.

To the argument of Sanchez getting 4 years and Geno 1.25.  Sanchez was a 1st rounder, Geno a 2nd.  It's like being the Panthers head coach after drafting Cam Newton and telling him, you have to wait your turn, we're still in the middle of trying to develop Jimmy Clausen.  
    2nd rounders and 1st rounder QB's will have different length leashes. A coach can survive giving up on a 2nd round QB after year two.  Not a 1st rounder.  This is where Rex's future hangs in the balance.  Does he still feel Geno is the answer or will he just want to win this season placing Vick in, in which gives the team a better chance to win this year and maybe save Rex's job.

The team is 1-3 and still very much in line to make a run at the playoffs if a switch is made at QB. Yet if we stick with Geno, nothing will change.
    Atljet60
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Atljet60 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 18:22

As it stands we're no more than 2 games out of the division playing only 1 game in the conference, none in our division. This season isn't lost.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 13:14