Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+12
Atljet60
Blindsidebrick
Polishjetfan
WilliesDad
cysporsche
SackExchange
football51
HYATT™
Superman55
soj
NickSINYC
danfran
16 posters

When is it the coach and when is it the players?

danfran
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

When is it the coach and when is it the players?  - Page 4 Empty Re: When is it the coach and when is it the players?

Post by danfran Mon 20 Oct 2014 - 18:59

Polishjetfan wrote:I don't really don't understand the logic in the 2 posts above. Sure windows are smaller then they are in college but is it a coincidence that the best qbs have some of the best wrs? Is it a coincidence that agianst the broncos that 16 of Geno's 23 comp ( went to the 2 guys on the (just under 70%) went to the two guys w arguably the most amount of recieving talent on the team?

IMO this. Organization needs to stop looking for "the guy"and just start acquiring offense of talent to support whoever they have a QB. That way once "the guy" comes along they can actually evaluate him accurately Because at this point it's almost impossible to say any quarterback would be successful on this team.

On a positive note it's nice to see Amaro might actually be the goods.
    If he can stop dropping passes that hit him between the numbers.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

When is it the coach and when is it the players?  - Page 4 Empty Re: When is it the coach and when is it the players?

Post by Superman55 Mon 20 Oct 2014 - 21:50

danfran wrote:
    Polishjetfan wrote:I don't really don't understand the logic in the 2 posts above. Sure windows are smaller then they are in college but is it a coincidence that the best qbs have some of the best wrs? Is it a coincidence that agianst the broncos that 16 of Geno's 23 comp ( went to the 2 guys on the (just under 70%) went to the two guys w arguably the most amount of recieving talent on the team?

IMO this. Organization needs to stop looking for "the guy"and just start acquiring offense of talent to support whoever they have a QB. That way once "the guy" comes along they can actually evaluate him accurately Because at this point it's almost impossible to say any quarterback would be successful on this team.

On a positive note it's nice to see Amaro might actually be the goods.
     If he can stop dropping passes that hit him between the numbers.

I think he's going to be good though.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 23 Oct 2014 - 16:49

Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 19h 19 hours ago
    The Jets have lost 4 games by 1 score (8 pts or less), the most such losses in the league. Last year, 7 of 8 losses by double digits. #nyj
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 28 Oct 2014 - 0:47

· Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets 14h 14 hours ago

Rex reminds me a ton of Jeff Fisher. Gets a pass for sustained losing because of long gone winning seasons and reputation/perception

· Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets 14h 14 hours ago

Both are media friendly guys. Both have multiple 8-8 seasons that are celebrated a bit too much. Both get victim card played too much.

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 28 Oct 2014 - 0:51

How many more gm's, qb's, oc's, etc does he need to get it right?

 Joe Caporoso retweeted

Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 15h 15 hours ago

The Jets have a league-worst turnover margin of -15. In the Rex Ryan era, they're -36. Only the Raiders (-42) are worse. #nyj

· Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets

15h 15 hours ago

Of Rex's 11 losses by 20 pts or more since December 2011, 5 were against teams who didn't make playoffs (could be 6 if BUF doesn't make it)

· Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets 16h 16 hours ago

Keeping it simple and just focused down to yesterday: When you are favored at home and lose by 20 points, that is a coaching issue.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 16h 16 hours ago

Steve Young nailed it when talking about Rex almost 3 years ago.

When is it the coach and when is it the players?  - Page 4 B09D6bJCQAAhZtn

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Tue 28 Oct 2014 - 8:05

football51 wrote:How many more gm's, qb's, oc's, etc does he need to get it right?

 Joe Caporoso retweeted  

Rich Cimini @RichCimini     ·  15h 15 hours ago  

The Jets have a league-worst turnover margin of -15. In the Rex Ryan era, they're -36. Only the Raiders (-42) are worse. #nyj

·  Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets    

15h 15 hours ago  

Of Rex's 11 losses by 20 pts or more since December 2011, 5 were against teams who didn't make playoffs (could be 6 if BUF doesn't make it)

·  Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets      16h 16 hours ago  

Keeping it simple and just focused down to yesterday: When you are favored at home and lose by 20 points, that is a coaching issue.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets     ·  16h 16 hours ago  

Steve Young nailed it when talking about Rex almost 3 years ago.

When is it the coach and when is it the players?  - Page 4 B09D6bJCQAAhZtn

That image gets clipped off in my browser.

I don't think there's any question that Rex is a dead coach walking, and one really has to wonder what will come next. To me, it's a no-lose situation for the new guy, because right now we can't get a whole lot worse, there will be a ton of cap space to sign FA with, and some high draft picks. The main thing is, any new HC will have to have some credibility, and will need the latitude to set up shop his way. Is there another Chip Kelly out there for us? Or do we go with a NFL veteran? I can't see either case being one where the new HC has a bunch of holdover coaches foisted upon him.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 28 Oct 2014 - 16:48

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 9h 9 hours ago
    Limited WAS roster, particularly on defense, able to beat quality divisional opponent away. NYJ no shows at home to average one, loses by 20

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 9h 9 hours ago
    League built for parity, competitive games. Despite talent shortcomings at specific positions. Should never be getting blown out regularly

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 8h 8 hours ago
    McCoy magically became efficient QB, instead of poor one he was elsewhere? Or did staff build effective gameplan around his shortcomings?
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 30 Oct 2014 - 16:18

every time I hear Decker or Davis or Mangold speak, the theme is the same. Sounds like poor coaching/preparation/development.

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 55m 55 minutes ago
    Decker: “To be honest with u, I did not see us at this point. In the offseason, we had the pieces. We’re just not performing on the field."

Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Thu 30 Oct 2014 - 16:25

football51 wrote:every time I hear Decker or Davis or Mangold speak, the theme is the same. Sounds like poor coaching/preparation/development.

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI  ·  55m 55 minutes ago
    Decker: “To be honest with u, I did not see us at this point. In the offseason, we had the pieces. We’re just not performing on the field."

Sounds like he is saying it is a coaching issue, but I'm pretty biased at this point.

"I've got to be honest with you," Decker said. "I did not see us at this point, in the off-season. We have the pieces. We just aren't obviously performing on the field. Execution is the name of the game in this league. The talent level is so even throughout this league that you can't make mistakes. We've made too many mistakes.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 30 Oct 2014 - 17:37

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 5h 5 hours ago
    Arizona lost Campbell, Dansby, Dockett, Washington and Abraham from their defense and has played 3 QBs, still 6-1. Amazing work by Arians

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 4h 4 hours ago
    Impossible not to like Rex the person but it makes people forget he is basically Mike Smith or Jeff Fisher #NFL #Jets

If he had Smith's personality, 99.9% of the fanbase would demand he was fired right now or he would have been fired after 2012 #NFL #Jets

Poor self-scouting RT @BrianCoz: Rex says he thinks D'Brickashaw Ferguson is having a "phenomenal" year. #nyj

#TBT - This old Lombardi article on praising players incessantly when they don't merit it: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254522c/article/ryans-false-bravado-act-harms-jets-more-than-it-helps

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 10:57

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 19h 19 hours ago
    Tough reality for Rex: He is one Curtis Painter half away from having 1 season above .500 in 6 years

How well did Rex and Tannenbaum work????
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 18:30

soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Thu 6 Nov 2014 - 15:26

Excellent read and thanks for the link... I knew his record was not good vs good teams but man... he really does sux affraid
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 7 Nov 2014 - 14:13

Chris Lopresti @CLoprestiWFAN · 21h 21 hours ago
    98th out of 115 per @PFF RT @jetswhispers: "Jeff (Cumberland) is a really good pass protector. He’s very good in line." - Marty Mornhinweg

MM and Rex are full of it. MM likes Cumberland and that's why he gets so many reps. Rex........... just clueless.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 7 Nov 2014 - 15:04

For all the talk about Idzik as a talent evaluator, there is a tremendous disconnect with Rex and his staff as talent evaluators of guys on their team. One has to think that carries over to their input on draft day and during the offseason.

This Cumberland comment is just one example of the coaching staff having way too high an opinion on a player. Now, that may be in part for public consumption, but when it results in more reps, you have to think they believe it, too.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sat 8 Nov 2014 - 10:40

The overall team performance has obviously been a great disappointment, but for me perhaps the biggest letdown has been how the offense has developed under MM. Whether it's the Geno regression, the fact Vick is a one-read tuck-and-run, the OL a sieve, and the running game not able to generate sustained success, the output under Marty has been Sporano-like. It's just ridiculous. This offense hasn't been any good since it seems like forever. Last time we were top 10 in scoring was 2008 under Mangini (Schotty at OC, Favre, Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Cotch, Coles, Keller). We're 27th now. Painful to watch when we get the ball. It sometimes seems as if they don't practice during the week, that's how inept this offense is. Part of it is certainly the talent level, particularly at QB obviously, and also on the OL, but I maintain that a good coordinator and coaching staff could get more out of these players.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sat 8 Nov 2014 - 11:44

GratefulJet wrote:The overall team performance has obviously been a great disappointment, but for me perhaps the biggest letdown has been how the offense has developed under MM. Whether it's the Geno regression, the fact Vick is a one-read tuck-and-run, the OL a sieve, and the running game not able to generate sustained success, the output under Marty has been Sporano-like. It's just ridiculous. This offense hasn't been any good since it seems like forever. Last time we were top 10 in scoring was 2008 under Mangini (Schotty at OC, Favre, Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Cotch, Coles, Keller). We're 27th now. Painful to watch when we get the ball. It sometimes seems as if they don't practice during the week, that's how inept this offense is. Part of it is certainly the talent level, particularly at QB obviously, and also on the OL, but I maintain that a good coordinator and coaching staff could get more out of these players.

Very much agree.
    Lakerfan1980
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Lakerfan1980 Sat 8 Nov 2014 - 12:20

I think so many of the problems will be solved with a new coaching staff. Rex's defensive schemes are a thing of the past and a different guy can get more out of all the 1st round picks on that side of the ball. As good as his defensive rankings, I can't remember a Jet defense so futile in creating turnovers. I want an offensive minded coach, and the 4-3 defense.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sat 8 Nov 2014 - 17:21

GratefulJet wrote:The overall team performance has obviously been a great disappointment, but for me perhaps the biggest letdown has been how the offense has developed under MM. Whether it's the Geno regression, the fact Vick is a one-read tuck-and-run, the OL a sieve, and the running game not able to generate sustained success, the output under Marty has been Sporano-like. It's just ridiculous. This offense hasn't been any good since it seems like forever. Last time we were top 10 in scoring was 2008 under Mangini (Schotty at OC, Favre, Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Cotch, Coles, Keller). We're 27th now. Painful to watch when we get the ball. It sometimes seems as if they don't practice during the week, that's how inept this offense is. Part of it is certainly the talent level, particularly at QB obviously, and also on the OL, but I maintain that a good coordinator and coaching staff could get more out of these players.

Makes me wonder why Andy Reid HC / Chiefs did not ask Marty to be his O.C. there ? If he was great, Andy would have brought him.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 9:50

That's a good thought, Cy. Odd how the things I find bugging me about Marty are the some of the same ones that bugged me about Schotty--gameplans that don't seem to have a plan, situational playcalling that appears unaware of the actual down and distance, and a ragged style of execution that bespeaks a lack of repetition in practice. At least his plays aren't as ridiculously contrived as Schotty's, with all the motion and strange formations and complexity that seemed impossible for the players to get right.

It's been so long since we've had an offense that executed crisply and confidently. I guess it all starts with the OL, which is apparently incapable of going through an entire possession without at least one false start or holding penalty.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 12 Nov 2014 - 16:12

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 2h 2 hours ago
    How not to handle a young quarterback 101 by a Rex Ryan coaching staff: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/12/mark-sanchez-philadelphia-eagles-nfl/ … #Jets
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 19:28

Reading this, it appears as if Carter is calling the team sloppy and that it lacks intensity. Who's fault is that?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/46102/cris-carter-gives-candid-evaluation-of-jets
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 20:45

football51 wrote:Reading this, it appears as if Carter is calling the team sloppy and that it lacks intensity. Who's fault is that?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/46102/cris-carter-gives-candid-evaluation-of-jets

The answer is obvious. It's Rex Ryan.

The next head coach is going to have to bring a little Tom Coughlin into this organization, and a little less "wastin' away in Margaritaville".
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 15:29

Good read. Let's see if any adjustments are made coming off the bye.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/11/new-york-jets-bye-week-self-scouting/
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 15:38

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · Nov 17
    #Coaching RT @CoreyGriffinNBC: Ivory 3rd in @PFF elusive rating, missed tackle, yards after contact. Avg 12.3 crs/gm.

When is it the coach and when is it the players?  - Page 4 B2qSWWBCQAELNah

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024 - 19:32