Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+28
football51
Pointdexter
Superman55
AFA2017
jetsfanshanghai
WilliesDad
SackExchange
soj
Seaver
skop
GratefulJet
HYATT™
The Wicker Man
Sarge
Blindsidebrick
NYJETSDAN16
Atljet60
Old#15
NCgreen12
jamesfyo123
danfran
JohnnyBaseball
Metjetgal
hobson54
McJet
trico990
jetkwondo
lnap23
32 posters

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 29 Empty Re: Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

Post by NickSINYC Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 17:08

football51 wrote:Wow, so Ryan pretty much snowed the Bills new owners.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000461412/article/bills-kim-pegula-rex-ryan-was-not-our-first-choice

I wonder if a foot massage was involved? WTF
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 29 Empty Re: Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

Post by football51 Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 17:16

NickSINYC wrote:
    football51 wrote:Wow, so Ryan pretty much snowed the Bills new owners.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000461412/article/bills-kim-pegula-rex-ryan-was-not-our-first-choice

I wonder if a foot massage was involved?  WTF

affraid
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 17:59

Adam Caplan retweeted
    Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 3h 3 hours ago
    Delvin Breaux, a standout CFL CB who worked out for 13 NFL teams, has reached agreement with the New Orleans Saints.

Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 3h 3 hours ago
    CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats agreed to let Breaux out of his contract early. As @AdamSchefter said, he'll sign with the Saints. Will be on Mon.

Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 3h 3 hours ago
    Had Hamilton not let him out of his contract, he would have to wait until 2/10 (4 pm ET) to sign with the Saints.

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 19:57

Rich Cimini @RichCimini
    Sad news: Paul Needell, former Jets/NFL writer for Star-Ledger + Daily News, passed away today. A great newspaperman, a better friend. RIP.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 21:15

memories

Hank Gola @NYDNHankGola · 52m 52 minutes ago
    We all lost Paul Needell today. In the Good Guy Hall of Fame. Here's one for the memories. RIP Paul. http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/beat-stand-jets-years-man-paul-needell-tells-article-1.701781
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 16:21

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
    · 12m 12 minutes ago

Browns WR Josh Gordon will almost certainly be suspended a year for failing a test for alcohol, as @AdamSchefter & @ProFootballTalk said

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 17:12

NickSINYC wrote:Rich Cimini @RichCimini
    Sad news: Paul Needell, former Jets/NFL writer for Star-Ledger + Daily News, passed away today. A great newspaperman, a better friend. RIP.

Here's more from Cimini on Needell.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48861/paul-needell-longtime-jets-beat-writer-dead-at-57
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 17:42

football51 wrote:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet  
     ·   12m  12 minutes ago  

Browns WR Josh Gordon will almost certainly be suspended a year for failing a test for alcohol, as @AdamSchefter & @ProFootballTalk said

What a waste of God given talent, even though I think alcohol or pot is a little extreme. Hope he turns it around, he's a great WR.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 19:44

This NFL substance abuse policy is little more than a glorified albeit antiquated morals clause. The notion of someone being suspended for a year because they tested positive for alcohol is extreme, at least compared to the rules those of us who work in the "employment at will" real world face. Was drinking or getting stoned giving Josh Gordan any kind of competitive advantage over the rest of the players in the league? I have to think even the little kids this policy is apparently aimed at influencing by making an example out of those who fail it are at home struggling to understand to logic and are asking their daddies if they are risking their own livelihoods having a beer on a Sunday afternoon watching football.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 20:14

players in general are not forbidden from having drinks. gordon was because he was a repeated violator of the league's substance abuse policy, and one of the conditions of his reinstatement from his latest suspension was that he doesn't drink. if he has a problem with that, he should take it up with the union that negotiated the policy with the league
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 0:22

hobson54 wrote:players in general are not forbidden from having drinks.  gordon was because he was a repeated violator of the league's substance abuse policy, and one of the conditions of his reinstatement from his latest suspension was that he doesn't drink.  if he has a problem with that, he should take it up with the union that negotiated the policy with the league

I am aware of the circumstances. My comments weren't intended as some kind of plea for Josh Gordon so much as they were directed at the stupid policy negotiated by these two self-interested, morally ambiguous parties (NFLPA and the owners). When you have so much money at stake, it seems that idiotic policy is almost inevitable as both sides agree on an indefensible standard designed not to encourage positive personal conduct but protect both sides from accusations they didn't do enough to address the problem of substance abuse.
    Jetski
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Jetski Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 8:51

GratefulJet wrote:This NFL substance abuse policy is little more than a glorified albeit antiquated morals clause. The notion of someone being suspended for a year because they tested positive for alcohol is extreme, at least compared to the rules those of us who work in the "employment at will" real world face. Was drinking or getting stoned giving Josh Gordan any kind of competitive advantage over the rest of the players in the league? I have to think even the little kids this policy is apparently aimed at influencing by making an example out of those who fail it are at home struggling to understand to logic and are asking their daddies if they are risking their own livelihoods having a beer on a Sunday afternoon watching football.

I am sure that everyone who has lost a loved one to a drunk driver admires your perspicacity.

I am sure that every professional athlete whose life has been destroyed because he drove while intoxicated agrees.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 9:08

Jetski wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:This NFL substance abuse policy is little more than a glorified albeit antiquated morals clause. The notion of someone being suspended for a year because they tested positive for alcohol is extreme, at least compared to the rules those of us who work in the "employment at will" real world face. Was drinking or getting stoned giving Josh Gordan any kind of competitive advantage over the rest of the players in the league? I have to think even the little kids this policy is apparently aimed at influencing by making an example out of those who fail it are at home struggling to understand to logic and are asking their daddies if they are risking their own livelihoods having a beer on a Sunday afternoon watching football.

I am sure that everyone who has lost a loved one to a drunk driver admires your perspicacity.

I am sure that every professional athlete whose life has been destroyed because he drove while intoxicated agrees.

Was Josh Gordon suspended for a DUI or for having alcohol in his system? I certainly wasn't defending driving under the influence, so you can take your sarcasm and stick it.

Or maybe you think everyone who tests positive for alcohol should be suspended from work for a year.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 10:58

Per the Pro Bowl last night, I turned my TV to back to back CSI's because the game was & is a joke, and should be discontinued before some super star gets a serious injury.

Put flags on their hips and let them play flag football, because the Pro Bowl is a joke !

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 11:15

cysporsche wrote:Per the Pro Bowl last night, I turned my TV to back to back CSI's because the game was & is a joke, and should be discontinued before some super star gets a serious injury.

Put flags on their hips and let them play flag football, because the Pro Bowl is a joke !

Go Jets...Cyborg
    I agree. Make the Senior Bowl, where guys go 100% to impress NFL scouts, the big all-star game of the weekend.

Still have an All-Pro team, but get rid of the game. You can't play football at 60% speed.
    Jetski
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Jetski Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 15:11

GratefulJet wrote:
    Jetski wrote:

Was Josh Gordon suspended for a DUI or for having alcohol in his system? I certainly wasn't defending driving under the influence, so you can take your sarcasm and stick it.

Or maybe you think everyone who tests positive for alcohol should be suspended from work for a year.

I think you are totally off-base.

-the point of a negotiated substance abuse policy is not just to punish people for things like DUIs and DWIs, it is to help prevent them from ever getting into such situations in the first place.  And a person who has a substance abuse history should never consume alcohol, period.  There is no doubt that Josh Gordon knew the restrictions under which he was operating as someone already suspended in the past by the league for substance abuse.  If he chose to violate them, he has no one to blame but himself.

-the comparison to "employment in the real world" is absurd.  The lifestyle and environment in which professional athletes are enveloped is totally different and can be conducive to all kinds of abuses for those who are inclined, thus the rules that govern them must reflect that different reality.  Also, their celebrity and the fact that kids tend to idolize them and see them as role models is an important consideration.  They get paid huge sums of money and in exchange they accept upon themselves that they must represent the league in a certain way and according to certain standards.  They choose that life willingly, and the notion that this policy is based on a "glorified/antiquated morals clause" ignores the constant headlines and stories about athletes getting into trouble because of substance or alcohol abuse.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 15:31

Jay Glazer @JayGlazer · 7m 7 minutes ago
    Breaking news: sources tell @FOXSports the NFL has zeroed in on a locker room attendant w Patriots who ... http://m.tmi.me/1eXHpm
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 15:35

NickSINYC wrote:Jay Glazer @JayGlazer  ·  7m 7 minutes ago
    Breaking news: sources tell @FOXSports the NFL has zeroed in on a locker room attendant w Patriots who ... http://m.tmi.me/1eXHpm
    But...but...

If the Pats not only knowingly and willingly did this, but have spent the past week in a very public cover-up, the punishment should be far greater than it would have been if they just owned up to it.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 15:36

I hope the NFL breaks the attendant and he names names.

Bring in Jack Bauer for the interrogation. WTF
    WilliesDad
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by WilliesDad Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 15:56

Jetski wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    Jetski wrote:

-the point of a negotiated substance abuse policy is not just to punish people for things like DUIs and DWIs, it is to help prevent them from ever getting into such situations in the first place.  And a person who has a substance abuse history should never consume alcohol, period.  There is no doubt that Josh Gordon knew the restrictions under which he was operating as someone already suspended in the past by the league for substance abuse.  If he chose to violate them, he has no one to blame but himself.

-the comparison to "employment in the real world" is absurd.  The lifestyle and environment in which professional athletes are enveloped is totally different and can be conducive to all kinds of abuses for those who are inclined, thus the rules that govern them must reflect that different reality.  Also, their celebrity and the fact that kids tend to idolize them and see them as role models is an important consideration.  They get paid huge sums of money and in exchange they accept upon themselves that they must represent the league in a certain way and according to certain standards.  They choose that life willingly, and the notion that this policy is based on a "glorified/antiquated morals clause" ignores the constant headlines and stories about athletes getting into trouble because of substance or alcohol abuse.

+1. Very well stated Jetski.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 16:48

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 18:04

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 19:25

WilliesDad wrote:
    Jetski wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    Jetski wrote:

+1.  Very well stated Jetski.

Yes, those both certainly are valid points. What is not valid is insinuating that I advocate drunk driving and the tragic consequences thereof, as Jetski did, simply because I criticized the policy. It is actually possible to discuss and debate these matters without resorting to personal attacks, and I thought that was the basis for creation of this board.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 19:41

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 22:39

The Kraft run-in on Belichick's presser has taken this to the absurd. They are an absolute three-ring circus in New England. It's insane.

Methinks they all doth protest too much.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 12:26