Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+27
football51
skop
SackExchange
Seaver
DonMaynard
McJet
jamesfyo123
Blindsidebrick
Polishjetfan
GratefulJet
WilliesDad
Metjetgal
MachinaVerde
Atljet60
The Wicker Man
Old#15
trico990
Lakerfan1980
LIJETFAN
HYATT™
hobson54
danfran
lnap23
soj
NickSINYC
JohnnyBaseball
Superman55
31 posters

Geno Smith

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Geno Smith - Page 13 Empty Re: Geno Smith

Post by NickSINYC Thu 25 Dec 2014 - 16:06

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    soj wrote:
    lnap23 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:I didn't like the Geno pick. I was starting to like what I saw this past off season but was let down as we went into the season. I am still not very high on Geno but I think I have seen enough from a 2nd year QB to think he deserves a chance to compete for a roster spot next year. He is still under contract and could provide depth while trying to improve his game which at his age is very possible. I still want a vet QB plus a high draft pick brought in to compete with him more likely ahead of him.It's not time to just cut bait with him.

I agree.  Geno has all the tools but he was raw... he needed 2 years behind a veteran... I know how much you wanted Sanchez gone but that injury really hurt us... A healthy Sanchez would have been fine last year.. He couldn't have done worse than Geno did and in all likely hood better. But the real problem with the injury was forcing Geno to start and not getting at least a year to just focus on his craft.

Gents, with all due respect here are his stats...

Record as a starter = 10-18  
    2014 QBR 70.9 (only two worse)
    INTs = 34
    Fumbles = 6
    Overall QBR = 68.4

Enough with potential and he has all the tools  ...what you have seen and seem to continue to ignore is he is just plain bad.

What I find interestingly comical is when people begin to mention Geno under the same breath along side Aikman, Bradshaw & Peyton Manning when speaking about the first years of the interception issues.
    The respective teams that invested so much in those players saw talent in spurts and built around that specific QB.  GENO HAS SHOWN NOTHING. Even with an upgraded supporting cast.
    I can't stress enough on what I stated before;

The new Regime will fully understand that the main culprit that led to the dismisaal of their predecessors is the horrid play at the QB position which is Geno Smith.

Forget about "Developing" the player. There is nothing to develop if the guy has no brain between the ears to grow. The guy was a waste of a draft pick.  I wouldn't even want him as a backup.  The guy is delusional. "Pro bowl Flashes"?  After taking a sack this last game vs the Pats, "I think I played good"?
    Dude has no accountability whatsoever.

Casserely & Wolf will diagnose this issue instantaneously.  There is no reason for a new GM and a New head coach to waste yet another season in developing such a wasted 2nd round draft pick.

Dan not sure were you see comparisons to those very good QBs here but if you read my previous post you will get a clear picture of what I think about the Geno situation.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Thu 25 Dec 2014 - 19:14

NickSINYC wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    soj wrote:
    lnap23 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:I didn't like the Geno pick. I was starting to like what I saw this past off season but was let down as we went into the season. I am still not very high on Geno but I think I have seen enough from a 2nd year QB to think he deserves a chance to compete for a roster spot next year. He is still under contract and could provide depth while trying to improve his game which at his age is very possible. I still want a vet QB plus a high draft pick brought in to compete with him more likely ahead of him.It's not time to just cut bait with him.

I agree.  Geno has all the tools but he was raw... he needed 2 years behind a veteran... I know how much you wanted Sanchez gone but that injury really hurt us... A healthy Sanchez would have been fine last year.. He couldn't have done worse than Geno did and in all likely hood better. But the real problem with the injury was forcing Geno to start and not getting at least a year to just focus on his craft.

INTs = 34
    Fumbles = 6
    Overall QBR = 68.4

Enough with potential and he has all the tools  ...what you have seen and seem to continue to ignore is he is just plain bad.

What I find interestingly comical is when people begin to mention Geno under the same breath along side Aikman, Bradshaw & Peyton Manning when speaking about the first years of the interception issues.
    The respective teams that invested so much in those players saw talent in spurts and built around that specific QB.  GENO HAS SHOWN NOTHING. Even with an upgraded supporting cast.

The new Regime will fully understand that the main culprit that led to the dismisaal of their predecessors is the horrid play at the QB position which is Geno Smith.

Forget about "Developing" the player. There is nothing to develop if the guy has no brain between the ears to grow. The guy was a waste of a draft pick.  I wouldn't even want him as a backup.  The guy is delusional. "Pro bowl Flashes"?  After taking a sack this last game vs the Pats, "I think I played good"?

Casserely & Wolf will diagnose this issue instantaneously.  There is no reason for a new GM and a New head coach to waste yet another season in developing such a wasted 2nd round draft pick.

Dan not sure were you see comparisons to those very good QBs here but if you read my previous post you will get a clear picture of what I think about the Geno situation.

Sorry Nick, definitely wasn't talking about your opinion on Geno. It was more of a generalized response as many throw in the whole "young QB turnover rate" and immediately feel Geno will automatically turn the corner like the great ones did.

I just feel the great ones showed early glimpses of hope. Geno IMHO, is hopeless. He showed much less with more around him.
    I really hope the new regime treat him how Stephen Hill was evaluated. If Geno doesn't cut it, then it's time to give his roster spot to someone who merit's it.
    Or better yet, try to trade him for a 7th rounder.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Fri 26 Dec 2014 - 13:59

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    soj wrote:
    lnap23 wrote:

INTs = 34
    Fumbles = 6
    Overall QBR = 68.4

Sorry Nick, definitely wasn't talking about your opinion on Geno.  It was more of a generalized response as many throw in the whole "young QB turnover rate" and immediately feel Geno will automatically turn the corner like the great ones did.

I just feel the great ones showed early glimpses of hope.  Geno IMHO, is hopeless. He showed much less with more around him.
    I really hope the new regime treat him how Stephen Hill was evaluated. If Geno doesn't cut it, then it's time to give his roster spot to someone who merit's it.
    Or better yet, try to trade him for a 7th rounder.

Couldn't agree more... time to cut the bait with this bum.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Fri 26 Dec 2014 - 14:16

"I really hope the new regime treat him how Stephen Hill was evaluated."

Actually, I hope the new regime is a lot more decisive about players who are underperforming expectations. We simply gave Stephen Hill too many chances to justify his draft slot, and as a consequence had no alternative left but to ultimately release him. He might have been worth a 5th/6th round pick if we'd acted sooner on him.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 15:59

I said it last week. Smith has a lot of talent. No guarantees. No promises. Draft a qb and bring in a veteran. Geno still belongs in the competition. There's too much physical talent for him not to be.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 16:08

football51 wrote:I said it last week. Smith has a lot of talent. No guarantees. No promises. Draft a qb and bring in a veteran. Geno still belongs in the competition. There's too much physical talent for him not to be.

I have agreed all along although I am not his biggest fan he belongs in the mix next year
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 16:13

football51 wrote:I said it last week. Smith has a lot of talent. No guarantees. No promises. Draft a qb and bring in a veteran. Geno still belongs in the competition. There's too much physical talent for him not to be.

+1
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 16:23

Typical Geno Smith. A meaningless game and he puts on a career day. He is the epitomy of an erratic Quarterback.
    This is the 2nd year he's done this. No way he fools me again. As many stated, time to look else where and i'am sure the new GM will start the search IMMEDIATLEY.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 16:25

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:Typical Geno Smith.  A meaningless game and he puts on a career day.  He is the epitomy of an erratic Quarterback.
    This is the 2nd year he's done this. No way he fools me again.  As many stated, time to look else where and i'am sure the new GM will start the search IMMEDIATLEY.

I am with you ... the only thing consistent about Geno is his inconsistency.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 16:29

soj wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:Typical Geno Smith.  A meaningless game and he puts on a career day.  He is the epitomy of an erratic Quarterback.
    This is the 2nd year he's done this. No way he fools me again.  As many stated, time to look else where and i'am sure the new GM will start the search IMMEDIATLEY.

I am with you ...  the only thing consistent about Geno is his inconsistency.

You are my friend as always Consistently accurate!! Very Happy
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 16:30

If the Dolphins were fighting for a playoff spot, does Geno put up those #'s? Idk, but it does
    help when you're playing another team that was not playing for anything.

However, Geno played well. That was one of the ugliest/careless fumbles I've ever seen, but
    he bounced back from it and played well until the end.

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 18:15

The Wicker Man wrote:If the Dolphins were fighting for a playoff spot, does Geno put up those #'s?  Idk, but it does
    help when you're playing another team that was not playing for anything.

However, Geno played well. That was one of the ugliest/careless fumbles I've ever seen, but
    he bounced back from it and played well until the end.

Right with you on this. Geno putting together a great game against a team playing without many signs of life on defense doesn't change my feelings about him. We saw him pick it up at the end of the season last year--again, after his horrible play when games really mattered took them out of contention. You always have to worry about fool's gold with this kind of performance in a meaningless game at the end of the season.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 18:20

It's sad that some people can't humble themselves for the few seconds it would take to compliment a player on the team they profess to like for playing a good game. I guess doing that would require too much humanity.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 18:24

The announcers, who I assume we're neutral, were complimenting Tannehill for starting to look like an NFL QB at the end of his 3rd year, but some of our so called fans quit on Geno already, AND some have been very rude and ridiculous in their comments about Geno, which is sort of pathetic
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 18:33

Sarge wrote:It's sad that some people can't humble themselves for the few seconds it would take to compliment a player on the team they profess to like for playing a good game.  I guess doing that would require too much humanity.  

Well I assume you are referring to me, and I'm sorry you feel that way. Geno did play well today, but so what? All it accomplished was to put the top two QBs in the draft out of reach. Where was this kind of focus and decision-making when the team was in contention for a playoff spot? I also think the Dolphins mailed this one in, so Geno's performance has to be evaluated in light of that. He did not face a ton of pressure. It was an excellent performance, but in some ways not much more pressure than a scrimmage or pre-season game. I haven't forgotten the first game against Buffalo with the 3 picks in the 1st quarter, or the many other awful games he had this year.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 18:40

GratefulJet wrote:
    Sarge wrote:It's sad that some people can't humble themselves for the few seconds it would take to compliment a player on the team they profess to like for playing a good game.  I guess doing that would require too much humanity.  

Well I assume you are referring to me, and I'm sorry you feel that way. Geno did play well today, but so what? All it accomplished was to put the top two QBs in the draft out of reach. Where was this kind of focus and decision-making when the team was in contention for a playoff spot?  I also think the Dolphins mailed this one in, so Geno's performance has to be evaluated in light of that. He did not face a ton of pressure. It was an excellent performance, but in some ways not much more pressure than a scrimmage or pre-season game. I haven't forgotten the first game against Buffalo with the 3 picks in the 1st quarter, or the many other awful games he had this year.

I am not sold on Geno and want to move forward with looking for a top notch QB any way we can. That does not stop me from saying it is too soon to totally write him off thinking there is no chance he shows maturity in year 3 or 4.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 18:48

GratefulJet wrote:

Well I assume you are referring to me, and I'm sorry you feel that way. Geno did play well today, but so what? All it accomplished was to put the top two QBs in the draft out of reach. Where was this kind of focus and decision-making when the team was in contention for a playoff spot?  I also think the Dolphins mailed this one in, so Geno's performance has to be evaluated in light of that. He did not face a ton of pressure. It was an excellent performance, but in some ways not much more pressure than a scrimmage or pre-season game. I haven't forgotten the first game against Buffalo with the 3 picks in the 1st quarter, or the many other awful games he had this year.

Plain and simple, come tomorrow when Rex & idzik are gone, the common denominator will be how Geno Smith Sealed their fates by his erratic play this season.  
    It's not about how Geno played today one bit. We can all sit back and state:

"Wow, Geno played great today."  Just like we did late last year vs the Raider, Browns & of course the Dolphins.  What did that bring us in 2014: A final assessment of what Geno Smith truly is, an erratic at best career back up.  The new GM knows his fate will be the same if he goes into 2015 with Geno at the helm.  A mediocre player at the most important position on the field who will get every one fired.

Let's all take a step back for a second and ask yourselves a sincere question:

Is there any excitement in your living room, at a Jets bar or even at the stadium tail gating knowing that Geno is playing QB?  My answer with all conviction, absolutely not.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 21:39

Geno had a great day today. It doesn't change the fact that I want the Jets to pursue a QB, preferably in the draft over free agency.

What it may slightly change is my eagerness to dump Geno. At a relatively cheap contract, it might be worth not cutting ties entirely. But he needs to seriously be pressed by someone else, someone who should come in at least equal with him on the depth chart.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 7:28

If there is no franchise QB to be had in the draft or via FA, the best way to improve the position will be to overhaul the OL. The main reason Geno played so well in Miami (besides the fact he just plays well there) IMHO, is because he had time to throw the ball. The Dolphins did not create the kind of pressure on every dropback that has plagued Geno throughout the season. He doesn't handle that pressure well, but when he is comfortable in the pocket like he was yesterday, you see the result.

Our new GM, if he has a clue, will address the OL before anything else. One quick way to make things better will be to sign LG Mike Iupati, who will be an unrestricted free agent. He'll be the premier FA OL this off-season, so he won't be cheap, but we can afford it and we need someone like him. He's graded out better this season as a run blocker than as a pass blocker, but he's still young and may just need a change of scenery. Sign Iupati, slide Aboushi over to RG, and the whole OL just got a lot better. That would also allow the team to focus on BPA with the #6 overall pick, and while #6 isn't as good as #3, at least we'll be picking early in each round. We really need to nail this draft if we want to reverse the talent drain this roster has experienced the last 5-6 years.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 11:44

Sarge wrote:The announcers, who I assume we're neutral, were complimenting Tannehill for starting to look like an NFL QB at the end of his 3rd year, but some of our so called fans quit on Geno already,  AND some have been very rude and ridiculous in their comments about Geno, which is sort of pathetic

to be fair.....Tanneyhill has shown more progressive strides each year to get to this point......Geno is still lagging far behind in his progress. It will take too long to count on him to be 'the guy'.

Geno on Sunday did play well and he will be on an NFL roster next year..........probably the Jets to compete.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 12:07

GratefulJet wrote:If there is no franchise QB to be had in the draft or via FA, the best way to improve the position will be to overhaul the OL. The main reason Geno played so well in Miami (besides the fact he just plays well there) IMHO, is because he had time to throw the ball. The Dolphins did not create the kind of pressure on every dropback that has plagued Geno throughout the season. He doesn't handle that pressure well, but when he is comfortable in the pocket like he was yesterday, you see the result.

Our new GM, if he has a clue, will address the OL before anything else. One quick way to make things better will be to sign LG Mike Iupati, who will be an unrestricted free agent. He'll be the premier FA OL this off-season, so he won't be cheap, but we can afford it and we need someone like him. He's graded out better this season as a run blocker than as a pass blocker, but he's still young and may just need a change of scenery. Sign Iupati, slide Aboushi over to RG, and the whole OL just got a lot better. That would also allow the team to focus on BPA with the #6 overall pick, and while #6 isn't as good as #3, at least we'll be picking early in each round. We really need to nail this draft if we want to reverse the talent drain this roster has experienced the last 5-6 years.

Agreed. The Willie Colon/Brian Winters experiment is over. I like Aboushi's potential. I'd look at bringing in two guards somehow. Breno Giacomini was very "blah" to me, too. Not horrible, but not as good as I'd expected at RT.

Great call on the protection. It was a main reason why Geno had success yesterday. He was getting no time in recent weeks prior to yesterday. I believe Geno will be back to compete with a player to be named later (as they say in baseball).
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 14:33

Question: did Geno still not go through his progressions? It seem to me he targeted his primary (one read) all day... just asking if anyone else agrees?

And while he played well Sarge, he has been and still is inconsistent so at best you never know what your going to get on any given day. For me, that just is not good enough..
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 29 Dec 2014 - 22:08

soj wrote:Question: did Geno still not go through his progressions?  It seem to me he targeted his primary (one read) all day... just asking if anyone else agrees?

And while he played well Sarge, he has been and still is inconsistent so at best you never know what your going to get on any given day.  For me, that just is not good enough..

He definitely knew where he was going on most of those throws, but the truth is, a lot of QBs do that, and they can, because they are throwing to guys who can make a play on the ball. If you give Geno players who can go and get it, and you give him time to be comfortable back there, he can make all the throws, and scramble when he needs to buy more time. He builds confidence as the game goes along, and he can put it right where his guy wants it. If he has Decker, Harvin, Kerley and say a White/Coates/Parker to throw to, plus Amaro underneath as a check down safety blanket? You could rack up some yards and points with that.

And I say this as a guy who is off the Geno bandwagon. Put consistent pressure on him and he craters. Our OL was despicable in pass protection this year, and Geno never figured out how to get rid of the ball quickly enough. He does not read the rush well, and he panics too quickly. But give him time and some decent WRs, he'll do damage to a defense.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 16:54

NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 8:54

IF their jobs depended on it, i'am sure they would go the the route the Jets will go through this off season: FINDING ANOTHER QB THAT GIVES THE TEAM THE BEST CHANCE TO SUCCEED.

Plus, what else are they going to say at the function? They won't say or do anything else to stir the pot at a family event.  I'am sure they wouldn't have said what they stated after both Buffalo games he played so well in.

I'am sorry, but Geno is not the answer folks. The Jets brass knows this very well. No matter what outsiders say, Macagnan will bring in adequate competition to training camp that will unveil what Geno has been as a pro, a mediocre QB & a back up at best. No team builds around a back up QB thinking they will win the Superbowl.

Bowles & Mac are here to win, not to over take some ones elses problem and waste their time developing another regimes failed 2nd round draft pick. They're here to create their own legacy with their own QB.

Thank goodness for a brand new era !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 1:25