Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+19
Metjetgal
NickSINYC
Pointdexter
AFA2017
soj
football51
Seaver
hobson54
NCgreen12
Marac
jetsfanshanghai
The Wicker Man
Superman55
GratefulJet
SackExchange
NYJETSDAN16
Sarge
LIJETFAN
Blindsidebrick
23 posters

Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC - Page 5 Empty Re: Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC

Post by NickSINYC Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 13:00

SackExchange wrote:Gailey will have by far the shortest leash. I have no doubt of that.

He will have the shortest leash but don't discount the trickle down effect.

How could Bowles be stupid enough to hire him. We should have waited for Quinn he want Shanahan.

Maccagnan what a fool all he knows is scouting. How could he let his coach hire and old man out of the league for 2 years. There were better GM candidates out there, Bah humbug Casserley and the good old boys network.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC - Page 5 Empty Re: Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC

Post by Sarge Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 13:12

Pro Football Writers ‏@PFWAwriters · 6m6 minutes ago
    Former Arizona DC Todd Bowles, who led Cards defense to success despite injuries to key members, is 2014 NFL Assistant Coach of the Year.

soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 14:03

NickSINYC wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:I think this Bowles guy's persona is going to be a refreshingly understated change of pace from Rex's bluster and braggadocio. I for one am looking forward to it.

Agreed I never liked Rexs' bravado from the start. After six years I found it intolerable.

+1
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 14:07

Superman55 wrote:With our QB options, that may be best. Smile

Hard to call the guy who created "slash" and made Kordell Stewart a Super Bowl QB vanilla, but to each their own.

Indeed, Mr S had his best statistical year under Mr. Vanilla. So sign me up...
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 16:14

Sarge wrote:Pro Football Writers ‏@PFWAwriters  · 6m6 minutes ago  
    Former Arizona DC Todd Bowles, who led Cards defense to success despite injuries to key members, is 2014 NFL Assistant Coach of the Year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48644/todd-bowles-receives-assistant-coach-honor-from-pfwa?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 17:00

Would anyone be opposed to seeing Sparano return as our offensive line coach? I haven't read anything concerning him, but he does have history with Bowles in Dallas and Miami. As a line coach, he's one of the best. Also, players really seem to love him. Justin Tuck was pushing hard for him to get the Raiders HC job full time.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 17:07

NickSINYC wrote:Brian Costello @BrianCoz
    For those asking, the press conference for Bowles and Maccagnan has not been announced yet. #nyj

Chris Lopresti retweeted
    Eric Allen @eallenjets · 6h 6 hours ago
    Jets Introductory News Conference for GM Mike Maccagnan & HC Todd Bowles will be next week. Won't be MON. We'll let you know ASAP.

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 17:14

Armstrong got HC interviews a couple of years ago, and he's considered one of the best ST coaches in the league. Hopefully, we can still get him.

Manish Mehta retweeted
    vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23 · 20h 20 hours ago
    From what I hear, Falcons denied initial request for ST coach Keith Armstrong to reunite with college teammate Todd Bowles with Jets.

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 17:27

Bugs me a little that when Rex is fired, his entire staff goes, but with Smith in Atlanta, the Jets can't even talk to some of their guys.

Seems inequitable.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 18:01

LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 18:03

SackExchange wrote:Bugs me a little that when Rex is fired, his entire staff goes, but with Smith in Atlanta, the Jets can't even talk to some of their guys.

Seems inequitable.

Honestly, I think they are a little pissed off that we got Bowles and now they have to wait for Quinn. So this is gamesmanship. I'm sure if he wants to leave, the new coaching staff will let him walk.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 18:21

Some Gailey quotes.

“The one thing about Chan is that you can’t peg him. He’s been in a lot of different systems with a lot of different schemes, and he’s been successful in all of them.” – Dan Reeves

“Good luck predicting what he’s going to do with the Jets. You might think he’s going to be run-first because of the Steelers or pass-happy because of the Bills, but I bet you he’s looked at a hundred tapes while he’s been out these past two years, knows the trends and will put his own spin on them.” - Gil Brandt

“He was attacking. He found a weakness in defenses and tried to exploit it. Whatever match-up he found, he went back to it. He wasn’t afraid to go back to it throughout the game. I think that’s one of the reasons we had some success.” – Fred Jackson

“The best year Kordell Stewart had was in 1997. Chan did a fantastic job that year of taking his skill set and developing a very good offense around him. We went to the (AFC) championship game.” – Bill Cowher
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 18:28

football51 wrote:Some Gailey quotes.

“The one thing about Chan is that you can’t peg him. He’s been in a lot of different systems with a lot of different schemes, and he’s been successful in all of them.” – Dan Reeves

“Good luck predicting what he’s going to do with the Jets. You might think he’s going to be run-first because of the Steelers or pass-happy because of the Bills, but I bet you he’s looked at a hundred tapes while he’s been out these past two years, knows the trends and will put his own spin on them.” - Gil Brandt

“He was attacking. He found a weakness in defenses and tried to exploit it. Whatever match-up he found, he went back to it. He wasn’t afraid to go back to it throughout the game. I think that’s one of the reasons we had some success.” – Fred Jackson

“The best year Kordell Stewart had was in 1997. Chan did a fantastic job that year of taking his skill set and developing a very good offense around him. We went to the (AFC) championship game.” – Bill Cowher

I am probably one of the few fans that likes this hire. I know he is not a sexy candidate but he is the right man for this team at this time.

My one qualification is I want a young offensive position coach that Gaily will take under his wing and groom to be his replacement. His 63 years is my only reservation.
    Europe_for_JETS
    Europe_for_JETS
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Europe_for_JETS Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 19:07

NickSINYC wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:I think this Bowles guy's persona is going to be a refreshingly understated change of pace from Rex's bluster and braggadocio. I for one am looking forward to it.

Agreed I never liked Rexs' bravado from the start. After six years I found it intolerable.

Even though I kind of liked it at the very beginning, it got to a ridiculous point at the end when we were losing a lot more than winning, but yet the praises and brash statements kept coming and coming.
    Bowles will be quite reserved and down-to-earth in his public appearances, but I hope he will quickly earn the respect of EVERY player on the roster and be a combination of Rex's defensive mind coupled with a little of Coughlin's no-BS attitude in the way he treats and develops his players. Things to look forward, I guess, besides figuring out the QB situation...
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 19:55

Jason La Canfora retweeted
    Darren Urban @Cardschatter · 13m 13 minutes ago
    New #Jets coach Todd Bowles stopped by the #AZCardinals facility today. Former DC saying goodbyes, getting affairs in order.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 11:55

some nice stats in there.  to me, more important than "total defense" rankings based on yards allowed.  especially impressive in light of all the injuries/suspensions they had (docket, washington (suspended the year), abraham and mathieu for part of the year).

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48644/todd-bowles-receives-assistant-coach-honor-from-pfwa

The New York Jets hired the best assistant coach in the NFL, according to the Pro Football Writers of America.

Former Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles was voted Assistant Coach of the Year by the PFWA, becoming the first Cards' assistant to receive the award, which began in 1993.

The Cardinals, in their second season under Bowles, finished fifth in the NFL in points allowed per game (18.7), tied for second in first downs allowed per game (18.8 ) and third in red-zone percentage (43.9 percent), despite losing defensive tackle Darnell Dockett and linebacker John Abraham to season-ending injuries. In fact, the Cards had a total of 61 lost games to injury by defensive players.
    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hunter07 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 15:29

Wonder how long the NY media will give him??? ...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 15:34

NickSINYC wrote:
    football51 wrote:Some Gailey quotes.

I am probably one of the few fans that likes this hire. I know he is not a sexy candidate but he is the right man for this team at this time.

My one qualification is I want a young offensive position coach that Gaily will take under his wing and groom to be his replacement. His 63 years is my only reservation.

+1 - that's how I feel. I think he knows when to be conservative, when to open things up, and how to design offenses around team's strengths. He used Spiller and Jackson perfectly when he was there. I like the hire.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 16:01

Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73 · 21m 21 minutes ago
    Francesa on Bowles: "I told the Jets on air that this is the guy they should hire." lol. He's too much.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 16:18

football51 wrote:Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73  ·  21m 21 minutes ago
    Francesa on Bowles: "I told the Jets on air that this is the guy they should hire." lol. He's too much.

I think that is slightly out of context. When talking about the hire he was like I have to like what they did I said I think Bowles will be a great coach and I think the Jets should hire him. I don't think he was bragging he efffected what the Jets decided
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 18:43

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23 · 42m 42 minutes ago
    I wonder now if the Falcons will let ST coach Keith Armstrong out of his contract. Todd Bowles wanted him in New York with the Jets.

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23 · 40m 40 minutes ago
    Falcons lead candidate Dan Quinn (defensive line) and Armstrong (special teams) were on the same staff with the Miami Dolphins in 2005.

Bowles/Armstrong were college roommates at Temple. That trumps the Quinn connection. We win afro .
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 18:48

football51 wrote:vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23  ·  42m 42 minutes ago
    I wonder now if the Falcons will let ST coach Keith Armstrong out of his contract. Todd Bowles wanted him in New York with the Jets.

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23  ·  40m 40 minutes ago
    Falcons lead candidate Dan Quinn (defensive line) and Armstrong (special teams) were on the same staff with the Miami Dolphins in 2005.

Bowles/Armstrong were college roommates at Temple. That trumps the Quinn connection. We win afro .

Our connection does wins but too bad they have him and if Quinn gets the job they don't have to let him go Bang Head
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 19:14

Eric Allen @eallenjets · 3m 3 minutes ago
    Todd Bowles says it's all about production. Full 1-on-1 on http://nyjets.com . http://instagram.com/p/yGGkRgJE6g/
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 19:25

Eric Allen @eallenjets · 1m 1 minute ago
    Jets HC Todd Bowles, who grew up on 2nd & Pine in Elizabeth, NJ, says, 'You Have to Fight For Everything': http://bit.ly/1xvl3Zu
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 19:26

NickSINYC wrote:Eric Allen @eallenjets  ·  3m 3 minutes ago
    Todd Bowles says it's all about production. Full 1-on-1 on http://nyjets.com . http://instagram.com/p/yGGkRgJE6g/

Music to my ears .. production baby!  Now the under performing deadbeats beware new marshall is in town and he doesn't take Chit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 1:59