A New Community for Jets Fans


    Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Share
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by football51 on Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 16:16

    LIJETFAN wrote:I have no idea what role Gene Smith would play.  My general opinion is that he doesn't have a good track record in Jacksonsville obviously which is a red flag.  But if he is not making draft choices or evaluating talent and doing something else, he might be fine.  




    He could handle the cap/contract negotiations. It was said that the Jets were looking for an experienced front office executive for that role.
    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13307
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by Sarge on Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 16:23

    Seaver wrote:my understanding is that Bradway is currently in St Pete scouting the East/West shrine players this week.

    When he comes back, everything in his office will be available for his retrieval from a locker at the bus station in Newark

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43823
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by hobson54 on Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 16:33

    football51 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:I have no idea what role Gene Smith would play.  My general opinion is that he doesn't have a good track record in Jacksonsville obviously which is a red flag.  But if he is not making draft choices or evaluating talent and doing something else, he might be fine.  




    He could handle the cap/contract negotiations. It was said that the Jets were looking for an experienced front office executive for that role.


    his background is definitely more on the scouting/personnel side, and his track record in Jax leaves a lot to be desired.

    now he may have some experience with contracts and the cap as an ex-GM, but he hardly seems to be some cap expert.
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42367
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by SackExchange on Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 17:25

    I would think a cap guy like Dominik would be the guy brought in for cap and negotiation purposes. Gene Smith doesn't seem like that guy.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by football51 on Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 17:38

    I wasn't sure because Dominik's background is scouting/personnel as well. However, unlike Macc, Smith/Dominik have experience negotiating contracts and dealing with the cap. From wiki.......




    "Dominik joined the Buccaneers staff in June 1995 as an assistant in the "pro personnel" department; He rose to Pro Scout in 1998, then Coordinator of Pro Personnel in 2000. As Director of Pro Personnel, Dominik's duties included overseeing the scouting, recruiting and signing efforts of all NFL players, while also monitoring NFL transactions and overseeing player tryouts. He was also in charge of the pro personnel department's evaluation of players in all other professional football leagues, including the Canadian Football League and the Arena Football League, while being responsible for the negotiation and signing of contracts for several free agents and NFL Draft signings.Prior to the start of the 2001 season, Dominik began the first of his eight years as Director of Pro Personnel. In 2002, the franchise won its first world championship, a Super Bowl XXXVII victory over the Oakland Raiders."

    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42367
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by SackExchange on Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 17:40

    How about a numbers cruncher, like a Mike Tannenbaum? Oh, wait, he got hired by the Dolphins.

    Is that guy who used to be with the Seahawks still around? John Idzik? Everyone talked about him being a bean counter.
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10606
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by NickSINYC on Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 18:09

    Rod Graves is still employed and could handle the money end of things if no one else is brought in.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by football51 on Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 19:24

    J-E-T-S


    Corey Griffin @CoreyGriffinNBC · 57s 58 seconds ago
    Enjoy Maccagnan's presser tomorrow. Doubt you'll be seeing much of him anywhere between now and the draft.

    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by football51 on Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 19:25

    Corey Griffin @CoreyGriffinNBC · 21s 21 seconds ago
    Maccagnan sit-down with @eallenjets. Talks FA, roster construction, Bowles relationship. #jets http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Maccagnan-Relationship-with-Bowles-Is-Critical/edff2343-6ad1-41bf-8e50-71040610da95 …
    avatar
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

    Posts : 560
    Points : 5150
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by GratefulJet on Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 21:30

    Mike Maccagnan says Jets will be 'very active' in free agency

    Cimini reports:

    Unlike his predecessor, Mike Maccagnan is planning to take an aggressive approach in free agency.

    "Building through the draft is ideally what I'd like to do, but we'll very active in free agency," the New York Jets' new general manager said Tuesday via the team.

    Maccagnan, who will be formally introduced with Todd Bowles in an 11 a.m. news conference Wednesday, touched briefly on his team-building philosophy. He said his objective is to fill "some" needs in free agency, allowing him to take a best-available-player approach to the draft -- basically, the Mike Tannenbaum model.

    John Idzik tried it a different way, emphasizing the draft and using free agency as a supplement. That didn't work out so well.

    Before we anoint Maccagnan as Spender Mike, it's important to note that he's required to dole out a lot of money. There's something called the "89 percent Rule."

    The collective bargaining agreement requires teams to spend 89 percent of the salary cap in cash over four-year periods, from 2013 to 2016 and 2017 to 2020. In 2014, the Jets were 30th in spending ($106.295 million) and are below the 89-percent threshold since 2013 at 84.56 percent, according to CBSSports.com.

    In other words, the Jets probably will have to spend a good chunk of the projected $40 million in cap space to remain on track for compliance.
    ----------------------

    While I won't pepper the 2015 Free Agency thread with "SIGN THIS BEAST" posts, I am glad to hear that Macc is going to use any and all means at his disposal to improve this team. There are holes aplenty needin' fillin', and using free agency smartly is a great way to address them and leave the team in a position to go BPA in the draft. Idzik's stubborn refusal to address roster weaknesses adequately was his biggest failure as a GM. The NFL is a competitive situation, and other teams use FA, so why wouldn't we? Glad to hear we're going to compete.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19487
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by Superman55 on Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 22:16

    Excited abouts this news as well:

    Sources: Jets have spoken to Bears scout Rex Hogan for Director of College Scouting position. I'm told the job is his if he wants it
    avatar
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

    Posts : 560
    Points : 5150
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by GratefulJet on Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 23:06

    Superman55 wrote:Excited abouts this news as well:

    Sources: Jets have spoken to Bears scout Rex Hogan for Director of College Scouting position. I'm told the job is his if he wants it

    Don't know anything about him besides we got ourselves another Rex in the house.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19487
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by Superman55 on Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 23:33

    GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:Excited abouts this news as well:

    Sources: Jets have spoken to Bears scout Rex Hogan for Director of College Scouting position. I'm told the job is his if he wants it

    Don't know anything about him besides we got ourselves another Rex in the house.

    He specializes in scouting the SEC and lives 10 minutes from Vanderbilt.

    "Hogan has a unique edge scouting the Southeastern Conference program that's traditionally known more for its brains than its brawn on the football field. His wife, Christy, is an academic counselor for the athletic department. While most would suggest a team is better off building its roster from traditional powers such as Florida (50 players in the NFL), Georgia (62) or LSU (58)."

    http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1121
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by football51 on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 11:57

    Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 21m 21 minutes ago
    Maccagnan on free agency: Too early to tell. Says his philosophy is build through the draft. #nyj
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10606
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by NickSINYC on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 11:58

    He seems to be cool and calculating. Not committing to anything before he has completed his evaluations. He seemed to genuinely like Bowles. I believe they will work well together.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2858
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 14:18

    football51 wrote:Rich Cimini @RichCimini  ·  21m 21 minutes ago
    Maccagnan on free agency: Too early to tell. Says his philosophy is build through the draft. #nyj

    I already like Maccagnan. He's committing to using FA to build the team (although it's somewhat out of his control with the cap requirements), but he's suggesting that the draft is the real way to build long term success. I'm sensing he'll sign FA's without the desire to win headlines in NY. Sign players who fit the system. Don't sign players who are basing their salary demands on what they did three years ago.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by football51 on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 15:19

    Superman55 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:Excited abouts this news as well:

    Sources: Jets have spoken to Bears scout Rex Hogan for Director of College Scouting position. I'm told the job is his if he wants it

    Don't know anything about him besides we got ourselves another Rex in the house.

    He specializes in scouting the SEC and lives 10 minutes from Vanderbilt.

    "Hogan has a unique edge scouting the Southeastern Conference program that's traditionally known more for its brains than its brawn on the football field. His wife, Christy, is an academic counselor for the athletic department. While most would suggest a team is better off building its roster from traditional powers such as Florida (50 players in the NFL), Georgia (62) or LSU (58)."

    http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1121




    So far, I've only seen Manish mention him.




    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN · 18h 18 hours ago
    Sources: Jets have spoken to Bears scout Rex Hogan for Director of College Scouting position. I'm told the job is his if he wants it #nyj
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10606
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by NickSINYC on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 16:02

    New York Jets @nyjets · 7m 7 minutes ago
    ICYMI: The full introductory presser from earlier today.

    WATCH- http://bit.ly/1AP21hV
    avatar
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 405
    Points : 11705
    Join date : 2014-09-06
    Location : Howard Beach, Queens NEW YORK....SON!

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by NYJETSDAN16 on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 18:05

    Can't wait until free agency to see what kind of GM we go
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by football51 on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 18:23

    Bob Glauber @BobGlauber · 7h 7 hours ago
    Todd Bowles & Mike Maccagnan haven't been in media spotlight til now, but they're certainly winning their first press conference.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12829
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by football51 on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 18:28

    If anyone listens, updates would certainly be appreciated. See if Mike asks AND answers his own questions Cool .



    Chris Lopresti retweeted
    Brian Monzo @BMonzoWFAN · 22m 22 minutes ago
    With Mike Francesa tomorrow:
    1:30p ET #Jets GM Mike Maccagnan
    1:55p ET #Jets HC Todd Bowles
    4:05p ET @TroyAikman
    @WFAN660 @FOXSports1
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10606
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by NickSINYC on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 18:48

    football51 wrote:If anyone listens, updates would certainly be appreciated. See if Mike asks AND answers his own questions  Cool .



    Chris Lopresti retweeted
    Brian Monzo @BMonzoWFAN  ·  22m 22 minutes ago
    With Mike Francesa tomorrow:
    1:30p ET #Jets GM Mike Maccagnan
    1:55p ET #Jets HC Todd Bowles
    4:05p ET @TroyAikman
    @WFAN660 @FOXSports1

    Looks like Mike will get a shot again with the new Jet Regime.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2858
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 20:11

    NickSINYC wrote:New York Jets @nyjets  ·  7m 7 minutes ago
    ICYMI: The full introductory presser from earlier today.

    WATCH- http://bit.ly/1AP21hV  

    Thanks Nick. Just watched it all.
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42367
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by SackExchange on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 20:29

    Consistent with the new regime's change in attitude toward media strategy.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19487
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by Superman55 on Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 7:01

    football51 wrote:Bob Glauber @BobGlauber  ·  7h 7 hours ago
    Todd Bowles & Mike Maccagnan haven't been in media spotlight til now, but they're certainly winning their first press conference.

    NY Post has the best title for the recap of the press conference, "The adults are back in charge of the Jets."

    Sponsored content

    Re: Official: Mike Maccagnan new GM

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017 - 11:33