0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 18
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Re: Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak

Post by NickSINYC on Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 16:43

SackExchange wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:Manish Mehta is utterly scurrilous. That having been said, I am not going to go all in on Doug Marrone out of pure Mehta spite. I really hope that Woody & Advisors have a process in place that they stick to, and that whatever allowed Idzik to get through the process last time has been amended in the current process. Hire the GM first, let him hire the HC.
    I agree with this. Mehta is awful, but I am not sold on Marrone. I think Marrone is an intriguing candidate, and needs to be strongly considered, but he's not the sole candidate of note.

I'd prefer the team went GM first. However, some coaches may get scooped up pretty quickly, and a team may have to jump to get the coach they want. That said, I'd like to think that any potential coaching hire would have the nod of approval from the top list of GM candidates as someone with whom they'd like to work.

The key for me is most of the top candidates beside Marrone have only been coordinators. No matter how well they performed in their respective jobs it is a guessing game as to how that will translate to HC. Cable and Kubiak I want no part of those retreads. Hiring Marrone is no guessing game. We have seen him turn around college and NFL teams.

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche on Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 18:02

Urban Meyer is the best College coach that is ready for an NFL HC position, why not the Jets.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 20:50

One name I keep reading about as I follow the coaching searches, that I am so happy is not on our radar (that I have seen) is Josh McDaniels. I don't trust him away from Bill and Brady.
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 22:01

NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:Manish Mehta is utterly scurrilous. That having been said, I am not going to go all in on Doug Marrone out of pure Mehta spite. I really hope that Woody & Advisors have a process in place that they stick to, and that whatever allowed Idzik to get through the process last time has been amended in the current process. Hire the GM first, let him hire the HC.
    I agree with this. Mehta is awful, but I am not sold on Marrone. I think Marrone is an intriguing candidate, and needs to be strongly considered, but he's not the sole candidate of note.

I'd prefer the team went GM first. However, some coaches may get scooped up pretty quickly, and a team may have to jump to get the coach they want. That said, I'd like to think that any potential coaching hire would have the nod of approval from the top list of GM candidates as someone with whom they'd like to work.

The key for me is most of the top candidates beside Marrone have only been coordinators. No matter how well they performed in their respective jobs it is a guessing game as to how that will translate to HC. Cable and Kubiak I want no part of those retreads. Hiring Marrone is no guessing game. We have seen him turn around college and NFL teams.

The more I read about Marrone, the more I sense that while there's a higher floor due to his having been a HC, there's also risk of a lower ceiling there. I'm not 100% sold, and actually do find the manner in which he bailed on the Bills to be kind of questionable. I wonder how Bills fans feel about the guy. Not too fond, I'm guessing. Are we really settling now for upstate hand-me downs? I'd still want to talk to coordinators with maybe a higher upside. Really don't like the notion of Rex ending up with Bills and Marrone with Jets. Too Hatfield and McCoy.
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC on Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 22:17

GratefulJet wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

The more I read about Marrone, the more I sense that while there's a higher floor due to his having been a HC, there's also risk of a lower ceiling there. I'm not 100% sold, and actually do find the manner in which he bailed on the Bills to be kind of questionable. I wonder how Bills fans feel about the guy. Not too fond, I'm guessing. Are we really settling now for upstate hand-me downs? I'd still want to talk to coordinators with maybe a higher upside. Really don't like the notion of Rex ending up with Bills and Marrone with Jets. Too Hatfield and McCoy.

2 quick points

I hope Bills fans feels about Marrone the way Jets fans feel about BB watching the success he had with the Pats

I hope Marrone continues to kick Rexs' team butts the way he has in the past if they end up swapping jobs.
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 22:43

NickSINYC wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

2 quick points

I hope Bills fans feels about Marrone the way Jets fans feel about BB watching the success he had with the Pats

I hope Marrone continues to kick Rexs' team butts the way he has in the past if they end up swapping jobs.

2 equally quick responses: First, I am pretty comfortable going on record as forecasting Doug Marrone will not have the coaching career Bill Belichik has had, and in fact this parallel you cite may be the only one they share. Second, yes the Bills destroyed the Jets this year twice. Was that Rex getting schooled by Marrone or the Bills having the better team? In other words, let's say they do swap jobs: are you confident that Marrone's Jets will kick Rex's Bills' butts 2x next year? If they find another Orton to QB them, I'm not so sure the outcome flips like that.
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC on Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 22:50

GratefulJet wrote:

2 equally quick responses: First, I am pretty comfortable going on record as forecasting Doug Marrone will not have the coaching career Bill Belichik has had, and in fact this parallel you cite may be the only one they share. Second, yes the Bills destroyed the Jets this year twice. Was that Rex getting schooled by Marrone or the Bills having the better team? In other words, let's say they do swap jobs: are you confident that Marrone's Jets will kick Rex's Bills' butts 2x next year?  If they find another Orton to QB them, I'm not so sure the outcome flips like that.

I am confident in one thing. IMO the only thing Rex has over Marrone is his player love.

Every other aspect of what makes a HC successful I believe goes in to Marrone column.

BTW the one area Rex wins in comes at a penalty to the team. When Rex plays aging over the hill or injured players when he should be benching them in turn earning their love.
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 22:52

I think about that Bills defense and what Rex could do with it. Don't sell him short. If he finds a competent OC and lets the guy run with it, that could be a very good team.

LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN on Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 23:12

The problem with the Marrone situation is that Woody commented that it was "good news" that he was available. It made it sound like he had already made his decision and was ignoring the process that he put in place by hiring Wolf and Casserly. Sometimes I think Woody is his own worst enemy.

The Jets just need to stick to the process. Hire a GM first and continue to interview all of the candidates on their list. Then make a well-informed decision. Woody needs to avoid this idea that he needs to make a splash. What he needs to do is let the football people he hired help him to make the best football decision for the future of the franchise. And that starts with finding the right GM. I know the guy from KC is highly regarded and he has agreed to interview with the Jets, although speculation is that Chicago is his first choice.

Of the coaching candidates out there, I would say Quinn, Bowles and Marrone make some sense. I think Reich would be a good fit for Buffalo. And he is a very interesting candidatef or the Jets, but I think he is a little too inexperienced. The Jets are not interviewing Bevell or Case apparently which is interesting. I would still prefer a veteran head coach with a track record like a Billick or Cowher or a college HC. But the Jets are not going that route apparently.

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 10:48

LIJETFAN wrote:I would still prefer a veteran head coach with a track record like a Billick or Cowher or a college HC.  But the Jets are not going that route apparently.  

it's not just the jets not going that route. no one is going that route. cowher and billick have been sitting there on the sidelines for years. you'd think someone may have thought of this idea of reaching out to them over the last half a decade for the 5-10 job openings that happened per year.

as to college coaches, i don't see the allure of them. very few of them run a pro style offense, and the track record of them jumping to the pros (at least those with no prior nfl experience) is very poor. yes, chip kelly seems to be the exception. nick saban is one of the best college coaches of all time and he flopped in the pros. add guys like spurrier and pettrino to the list. not sure who is out there in college that people would want so bad and who would leave their college jobs for the jets.

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 10:59

cysporsche wrote:Urban Meyer is the best College coach that is ready for an NFL HC position, why not the Jets.

Go Jets...Cyborg

I just read that Urban Meyer has one of the top winning percentages (.844%) of all College coaches ever. If the Harbaugh brothers can transition to the NFL, why can't Meyer ?

Go Jets...Cyborg

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 11:26

cysporsche wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:Urban Meyer is the best College coach that is ready for an NFL HC position, why not the Jets.

Go Jets...Cyborg

I just read that Urban Meyer has one of the top winning percentages (.844%) of all College coaches ever. If the Harbaugh brothers can transition to the NFL, why can't Meyer ?

Go Jets...Cyborg

harbaugh coached (and played) in the pros before he went to college.

also, harbaugh runs a pro style offense.  urban meyer has always run a spread-based offense.  remember, his greatest success came with tim tebow at QB.  maybe it's just me, but i want a coach that will install a pro set offense and not look for big, mobile QBs who take off after their 1st read is covered.

plus, i see no indications meyer would want to leave college.  he gets paid a ton of money, has full control over his program, and he can lord over 18-22 year old kids.  no reason to think he'd want to give up that gig, nor any assurance that his success in the pros, dealing with grown men, would come close to replicating his collegiate success.
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 12:09

LIJETFAN wrote:The problem with the Marrone situation is that Woody commented that it was "good news" that he was available.  It made it sound like he had already made his decision and was ignoring the process that he put in place by hiring Wolf and Casserly.  Sometimes I think Woody is his own worst enemy.  

The Jets just need to stick to the process.  Hire a GM first and continue to interview all of the candidates on their list.   Then make a well-informed decision.  Woody needs to avoid this idea that he needs to make a splash.  What he needs to do is let the football people he hired help him to make the best football decision for the future of the franchise.  And that starts with finding the right GM.   I know the guy from KC is highly regarded and he has agreed to interview with the Jets, although speculation is that Chicago is his first choice.  

Of the coaching candidates out there, I would say Quinn, Bowles and Marrone make some sense.  I think Reich would be a good fit for Buffalo.  And he is a very interesting candidatef or the Jets, but I think he is a little too inexperienced.  The Jets are not interviewing Bevell or Case apparently which is interesting.  I would still prefer a veteran head coach with a track record like a Billick or Cowher or a college HC.  But the Jets are not going that route apparently.  

Just a what if here.

What if before firing Rex/Idzik, Woody already knew what was going to happen with Marrone similar to Kraft knowing what Belichick was going to do in 2000(not comparing them as coaches, just the situations)? I had posted early on in the gm thread about Mike Maccagnan being an early favorite(Jason LaCanfora called him the day Idzik was fired), and he and Marrone go way back. What if these two were the plan all along?

Now, I know you wonder why go through the process? It's the same as teams bringing draft prospects into their facilities prior to the draft. Not all are being considered to be taken. For some, it's a matter of information gathering/fact finding which could possibly be used at a later date. In 2012, the Colts knew they were drafting Luck, yet they still hosted RG3, Trent Richardson(who they later traded for), Matt Kalil, and Ryan Tannehill even though none were possibilities at #1 overall and none would be available when they picked again. I wouldn't read too much into any of Woody's comments or the ridiculous parallels the NY Daily News wants to draw.
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 13:46

Ian RapoportVerified account
    ‏@RapSheet
    Talking to people who know Todd Bowles well, wouldn’t be surprised to see him land at a low-key place — ATL or Oak. He can be very choosy

Ian RapoportVerified account
    ‏@RapSheet
    Not an insult. But not NY or Chicago is my point RT @gorzo41: @RapSheet how is Oakland low key? Crappy team yes, low key no.
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 18:51

Looks like teams will get to Interview Bowles sooner than expected
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 19:01

Sarge wrote:Looks like teams will get to Interview Bowles sooner than expected

I was just thinking that but you beat me to the punch

LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 20:02

I think teams have reached out to them in the past and they declined. They have already reached out to them and they were not interested, we'll never know. I really have no opinion on which college HC might succeed in the NFL. Saban would have been the obvious choice and he was not interested. Urban Meyer is not going anywhere either. So I agree that the pool of candidates in the college ranks must be very limited. The general premise is that I want us to hire someone with a track record of success. That means someone that has won a championship on some level. Of the current pool of candidates, I believe only Quinn has that qualification with the Seahawks.
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 20:36

hobson54 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

Go Jets...Cyborg

harbaugh coached (and played) in the pros before he went to college.

also, harbaugh runs a pro style offense.  urban meyer has always run a spread-based offense.  remember, his greatest success came with tim tebow at QB.  maybe it's just me, but i want a coach that will install a pro set offense and not look for big, mobile QBs who take off after their 1st read is covered.

plus, i see no indications meyer would want to leave college.  he gets paid a ton of money, has full control over his program, and he can lord over 18-22 year old kids.  no reason to think he'd want to give up that gig, nor any assurance that his success in the pros, dealing with grown men, would come close to replicating his collegiate success.

I still think there is something to being a college coaching god like Bear Bryant or Joe Paterno that is now Nick Saban and Urban Meyer.

I know a lot of NFL heads don't feel the mystique college football still has, but it exists, IMO.

Urban and his national champions just stood toe-to-toe with college god Nick Saban and beat him with a 3rd string QB. He almost single handedly put the Big 10 back on the map...it's not possible for an NFL head coach to do what Meyer just did...and he knows that.

If Meyer coached the Panthers and upset Seattle, it would be that, an upset. What Meyer just did to Alabama set Colombus and the Big 10 on fire in a way that doesn't happen in professional sports...and he knows it.

College coaches live for the moments Meyer just had, that chance for David to slay Goliath and put a student body or student bodies on notice...

There's something to be said for that accomplishment that some coaches know is a reward that isn't in professional sports.
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 20:47

I really think Kubiak ' s offense is a perfect fit for our personnel. Chris Ivory and our OL would do some damage. Amaro would also excel in that system

But, obviously I think it will be Marrone or maybe Quinn
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 20:53

I'm sorry fellas, i'am just not a Bowles fan. I don't see him handling New York well. I think the Jets are just kicking the tires on him. Hopefully by next friday we''l have a GM that is on the same page with Doug Marrone.
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 23:01

With the Steelers about to be out of the playoffs, I will be watching to see if anyone (especially NYJ) ask to interview Todd Haley
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 23:33

Sarge wrote:With the Steelers about to be out of the playoffs, I will be watching to see if anyone (especially NYJ) ask to interview Todd Haley

that also delays any Kubiak interviews

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 on Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 11:38

LIJETFAN wrote:I think teams have reached out to them in the past and they declined.  They have already reached out to them and they were not interested, we'll never know.  I really have no opinion on which college HC might succeed in the NFL.  Saban would have been the obvious choice and he was not interested.  Urban Meyer is not going anywhere either.  So I agree that the pool of candidates in the college ranks must be very limited.  The general premise is that I want us to hire someone with a track record of success.  That means someone that has won a championship on some level.   Of the current pool of candidates, I believe only Quinn has that qualification with the Seahawks.  

or rex with the ravens...
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge on Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 19:47

Todd Bowles and Frank Reich will interview with the Jets this week. Wonder if that suggests Marrone is not a done deal? Why bring in 2 guys cross country just for show if you have your guy?
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC on Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 20:13

Sarge wrote:Todd Bowles and Frank Reich will interview with the Jets this week.  Wonder if that suggests Marrone is not a done deal?  Why bring in 2 guys cross country just for show if you have your guy?

I don't think it is a done deal even though I believe Marrone is a strong favorite. A good interview has blown a favorite out of the water before. I think Woody is doing his due diligence on HCs while the GM search continues.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017 - 11:41