A New Community for Jets Fans


    Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Share

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2803
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 14:35

    Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    NCgreen12 wrote:Hard to believe Woody would bring in a guy to evaluate his entire team (which is the role of the GM) and not fire Idzik. Teams do bring in consultants all the time but in most cases to help with the draft/free agents or provide knowledge they may have about other teams. I don't believe this is for those purposes.

    One thing I think is guaranteed is the new person will be a football guy as opposed to a financial guy. Having done that twice should have made Woody conscience of his mistakes.  

    from what i've read, Casserly is being brought in to help Woody with hiring a new coach and/or GM if Woody decides to make a change.  maybe this is a matter of semantics, but it doesn't sound like Casserly will help Woody evaluate Rex and/or Idzik.  although one can deduce that Woody wouldn't bring someone in to help hire a new coach and/or GM unless Woody has already decided to replace the existing coach and/or GM

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12067453/new-york-jets-eyeing-charley-casserly-consultant

    Casserly won't be part of the evaluation of Ryan and Idzik. Sources stressed that Casserly would be retained only if Johnson decides to replace Ryan and/or Idzik, but the fact that he reached out to Casserly is a strong indication the Jets are preparing to start over.

    one thing to look out for is that Casserly serves on an nfl advisory committee that is charged with helping teams identify coaching and GM candidates, especially minority candidates.  so i think this may increase the odds of a Todd Bowles or Pep Hamilton (who i think are 2 very worthy candidates, regardless of skin color)



    I think everything Hobson says here is 100% spot on.  We don't know who is going to be replaced and how long Casserly will be here, but his profession is replacing Head coaches and GMs...not a good sign for either...even if we keep Idzik, woody trusts Casserly with helping Idzik replace Rex, which is t a strong endorsement of Idzik.  The fact he even contacted Casserly says beyond of what MAY be coming.

    Cy'r right, Casserly may be here to spoon feed Idzik and help clean house, but the fact Johnson didn't trust Idzik to do it on his own after sitting in the chair 2 years is telling.

    I do think the likelihood of the entire front office being let go is more likely than Idzik staying.

    This offseason is already starting off with a bang, the guillotine already is assembled, and the line will form shortly.

    I think those who think Idzik won't deservedly be in the guillotine line are in for a rude awakening.  They generally do not  bring in a short term replacement (which is what this looks like)...unless you're going to be replaced.  I believe the writing is on the wall.

    There's a difference between saying a guy will be fired, and saying a guy doesn't deserve to be fired yet. The two are entirely different.

    But yes, I agree that it appears the angry mob (among other people who don't like Idzik) will gets it's wish of Idzik being let go.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12774
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by football51 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 15:16

    My take is that Woody is going to fire everyone on the 29th, and Casserly will head the gm search. Woody takes a lot of heat, but you have to credit him for trying to always get it right. He listened to Parcells on Groh, Bradway, then Tannenbaum. He hired Jed Hughes just like Paul Allen did and consulted with Polian on Idzik. Now, he'll lean on Casserly. It's not that Woody isn't a "football man" either. Jerry Richardson of the Panthers consulted with Ernie Accorsi prior to hiring a gm in 2013. The Chargers used Ron Wolf. The league once intervened to help the Giants right their ship. Hopefully, Woody gets good hires this time for his efforts.

    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

    Posts : 187
    Points : 4217
    Join date : 2014-09-04
    Age : 67
    Location : Scottsdale AZ

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by soj on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 15:35

    II found this article in today's news interesting and telling about what Casserly said about the team talent when they were 1-5....


    Charley Casserly, likely Jets coaching search consultant, does not think highly of their roster
    (Darryl Slater)
    NJ Advance Media
    December 22, 2014
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12 /what_does_charley_casserly_likely_jets_coaching_search_c
    onsultant_think_of_their_roster.html

    With news emerging Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson plans to hire former longtime NFL general manager Charley Casserly as a coaching/GM search consultant, it seems reasonable to wonder: What does Casserly think of the Jets' current roster?

    Johnson hasn't yet officially hired Casserly. He will only do so if he needs to hire a new head coach and/or general manager. At this point, with the Jets 3- 12, Johnson almost certainly will fire coach Rex Ryan after next Sunday's season finale at Miami.

    In October, Casserly did an interview with CBS Sports Radio's Tiki Barber and Brandon Tierney. The Jets were 1-5 at this point. Casserly made it clear he did not think very highly of the Jets' overall skill level, saying, "There's not enough talent around that football
    team to compete."


    Casserly laid blame on general manager John Idzik, who could soon be canned, for not giving Ryan enough talent to work with, particularly at cornerback. "This year, they did not take a corner (in the first round), and they were in desperate need of a corner,"

    Casserly said. "Not addressing the cornerback position was huge because (of) two things: One, any time you talk to Rex Ryan, he says, 'Give me corners. That's what I need, is corners.' When you watch their defense, they've never had a legitimate outside pass rusher you have to game plan against. But by having good corners, Rex is as good as anybody in the league at designing blitzes to get people free.

    "So that's an example of the front office not getting what the coach needs. From th
    e outside (looking) in, that's the obvious one we look at there. It's a legitimate question, because clearly there's not enough talent around that football team to compete. I thought Rex should have been the coach of the year at 8-8 last year.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2803
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:25

    soj wrote:II found this article in today's news interesting and telling about what Casserly said about the team talent when they were 1-5....


    Charley Casserly, likely Jets coaching search consultant, does not think highly of their roster
    (Darryl Slater)
    NJ Advance Media
    December 22, 2014
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12 /what_does_charley_casserly_likely_jets_coaching_search_c
    onsultant_think_of_their_roster.html

    With news emerging Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson plans to hire former longtime NFL general manager Charley Casserly as a coaching/GM search consultant, it seems reasonable to wonder: What does Casserly think of the Jets' current roster?

    Johnson hasn't yet officially hired Casserly. He will only do so if he needs to hire a new head coach and/or general manager. At this point, with the Jets 3- 12, Johnson almost certainly will fire coach Rex Ryan after next Sunday's season finale at Miami.

    In October, Casserly did an interview with CBS Sports Radio's Tiki Barber and Brandon Tierney. The Jets were 1-5 at this point. Casserly made it clear he did not think very highly of the Jets' overall skill level, saying, "There's not enough talent around that football
    team to compete."


    Casserly laid blame on general manager John Idzik, who could soon be canned, for not giving Ryan enough talent to work with, particularly at cornerback. "This year, they did not take a corner (in the first round), and they were in desperate need of a corner,"

    Casserly said. "Not addressing the cornerback position was huge because (of) two things: One, any time you talk to Rex Ryan, he says, 'Give me corners. That's what I need, is corners.' When you watch their defense, they've never had a legitimate outside pass rusher you have to game plan against. But by having good corners, Rex is as good as anybody in the league at designing blitzes to get people free.

    "So that's an example of the front office not getting what the coach needs. From th
    e outside (looking) in, that's the obvious one we look at there. It's a legitimate question, because clearly there's not enough talent around that football team to compete. I thought Rex should have been the coach of the year at 8-8 last year.

    It's a familiar criticism, and one with some merit. But did anyone really think Idzik was going to address every need the Jets had coming into the season with a draft and FA? What Casserly says is correct in that the Jet defense is very cornerback dependent. But Idzik didn't exactly ignore the position. He brought in Patterson (mistake in terms of personality, not skill level as a #3), drafted McDougle in the 3rd round, and had a #9 overall pick from last year (who he selected). Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, could've predicted Milliner would've gone down for the year. (The injury label on him is overstated based on games missed at Alabama). And on top of all of that, did anyone really think the Pryor and Amaro picks weren't need based? Did we need help at safety and TE? The answer is yes.

    We had many needs, and had a starting QB who was young an still a question mark. Geno Smith's performance took a step back, and Rex had a bad year coaching. This team had talent to win, and was sloppy and undisciplined. Did Idzik do a great job with the draft? Probably not great. But the verdict is still out on some of the middle round picks. And looking at the way some of these high paid, FA CB's have performed this year (DRC, Verner, Thurmond,ect) it sure looks to me like signing any of them to big money deals would've been a mistake. Despite what some fans and Mehta think about just throwing money at FA's to fill holes.

    Again, not making excuses for Idzik. He has been average in performance from my perspective. But you must look big picture to find the real reasons for our failures.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12774
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by football51 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:26

    Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 3h 3 hours ago
    #Jets organization likely about to undergo massive overhaul. Everybody is in self-preservation mode so be wary of information leaking out




    Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 3h 3 hours ago
    Within #Jets organization you have at least 4 differing agendas: Idzik/Graves, Bradway Holdovers, Coaching Staff, Business (Glat, etc)
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12774
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by football51 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:36

    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN · Dec 22
    Woody Johnson will decide Rex & Idzik's fate, I'm told. He'll lean on consultants to chart course moving forward if he hits reset button



    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN · Dec 22
    If/when Woody Johnson makes organizational changes, expect him to turn to other football advisors in addition to Charley Casserly. #nyj
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19432
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by Superman55 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:39

    soj wrote:II found this article in today's news interesting and telling about what Casserly said about the team talent when they were 1-5....


    Charley Casserly, likely Jets coaching search consultant, does not think highly of their roster
    (Darryl Slater)
    NJ Advance Media
    December 22, 2014
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12 /what_does_charley_casserly_likely_jets_coaching_search_c
    onsultant_think_of_their_roster.html

    With news emerging Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson plans to hire former longtime NFL general manager Charley Casserly as a coaching/GM search consultant, it seems reasonable to wonder: What does Casserly think of the Jets' current roster?

    Johnson hasn't yet officially hired Casserly. He will only do so if he needs to hire a new head coach and/or general manager. At this point, with the Jets 3- 12, Johnson almost certainly will fire coach Rex Ryan after next Sunday's season finale at Miami.

    In October, Casserly did an interview with CBS Sports Radio's Tiki Barber and Brandon Tierney. The Jets were 1-5 at this point. Casserly made it clear he did not think very highly of the Jets' overall skill level, saying, "There's not enough talent around that football
    team to compete."


    Casserly laid blame on general manager John Idzik, who could soon be canned, for not giving Ryan enough talent to work with, particularly at cornerback. "This year, they did not take a corner (in the first round), and they were in desperate need of a corner,"

    Casserly said. "Not addressing the cornerback position was huge because (of) two things: One, any time you talk to Rex Ryan, he says, 'Give me corners. That's what I need, is corners.' When you watch their defense, they've never had a legitimate outside pass rusher you have to game plan against. But by having good corners, Rex is as good as anybody in the league at designing blitzes to get people free.

    "So that's an example of the front office not getting what the coach needs. From th
    e outside (looking) in, that's the obvious one we look at there. It's a legitimate question, because clearly there's not enough talent around that football team to compete. I thought Rex should have been the coach of the year at 8-8 last year.

    Casserly is 100% correct. I read the above excuse that isn't an excuse, but you don't have Bill Walsh as coach, have Bill Walsh tell you he needs WRs, and give him Justin McCariens and Stephen Hill to work with.

    Enough with the excuses for Idzik. Casserly is just saying what any non-Idzik fan can see.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12774
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by football51 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:39

    I guess Manish is going to make us guess.



    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN · 2m 2 minutes ago
    Sources: Charley Casserly will be 1 of 2 consultants spearheading the Jets GM/HC search (assuming Idzik is gone). #nyj




    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN · 3m 3 minutes ago
    For those wondering, Bill Parcells is not the second consultant who will be involved in any Jets GM/HC search, per source. #nyj


    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10551
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by NickSINYC on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 16:47

    football51 wrote:Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN  ·  Dec 22
    Woody Johnson will decide Rex & Idzik's fate, I'm told. He'll lean on consultants to chart course moving forward if he hits reset button



    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN  ·  Dec 22
    If/when Woody Johnson makes organizational changes, expect him to turn to other football advisors in addition to Charley Casserly.  #nyj

    This process Woody is putting in place starting to concern me.

    If he is replacing both GM and HC IMO the GM needs to be in place before the HC is hired. There is no need to drag his feet on firing Idzik at this point if he is going to do so. Cassserly should already be hired and starting his GM search. Top HC candidates will start being hired quickly and I would hate to lose out on the best ones because our front office is unsettled.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12774
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by football51 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 17:10

    NickSINYC wrote:
    football51 wrote:Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN  ·  Dec 22
    Woody Johnson will decide Rex & Idzik's fate, I'm told. He'll lean on consultants to chart course moving forward if he hits reset button



    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN  ·  Dec 22
    If/when Woody Johnson makes organizational changes, expect him to turn to other football advisors in addition to Charley Casserly.  #nyj

    This process Woody is putting in place starting to concern me.

    If he is replacing both GM and HC IMO the GM needs to be in place before the HC is hired. There is no need to drag his feet on firing Idzik at this point if he is going to do so. Cassserly should already be hired and starting his GM search. Top HC candidates will start being hired quickly and I would hate to lose out on the best ones because our front office is unsettled.




    I think that's why the Casserly information got leaked. IMO, the decisions have been made, and Casserly has already given Woody a list of GM candidates. I think the information was leaked to let the billboard fans know that they've won.
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10551
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by NickSINYC on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 17:12

    [/quote]


    I think that's why the Casserly information got leaked. IMO, the decisions have been made, and Casserly has already given Woody a list of GM candidates. I think the information was leaked to let the billboard fans know that they've won.[/quote]

    I hope that is the case and Woody acts quickly and doesn't take his time like he did with Idzik
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12774
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by football51 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 17:26

    I think that's why the Casserly information got leaked. IMO, the decisions have been made, and Casserly has already given Woody a list of GM candidates. I think the information was leaked to let the billboard fans know that they've won.[/quote]

    I hope that is the case and Woody acts quickly and doesn't take his time like he did with Idzik[/quote]





    I hear you Nick. The waiting is the worst Very Happy . I think it goes faster this time because Woody isn't forcing a HC on any candidate.
    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13252
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by Sarge on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 17:34

    The 2nd Consultant is actually Woody logging on to this forum for advice
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12774
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by football51 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 17:36

    Sarge wrote:The 2nd Consultant is actually Woody logging on to this forum for advice




    affraid






    Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · Dec 22
    Just taking a guess but Casserly news probably knocks Idzik's chances of coming back way, way down and also increases Bowles HC likelihood





    Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · Dec 22
    Then why didn't you report it? RT @RichCimini: Can't imagine Idzik was blindsided by Casserly news. Rumors were rampant in league circles






    Caporoso has a good point. Why didn't the local beat report on Casserly if this was in the works for awhile? Did they feel bad for Idzik all of a sudden?



    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12774
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by football51 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 17:39

    Just learned that Bowles was a Casserly draft pick.
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10551
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by NickSINYC on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 17:49

    football51 wrote:Just learned that Bowles was a Casserly draft pick.

    Then we can't hire him no same old boy network lol!

    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

    Posts : 187
    Points : 4217
    Join date : 2014-09-04
    Age : 67
    Location : Scottsdale AZ

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by soj on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 17:56

    Sarge wrote:The 2nd Consultant is actually Woody logging on to this forum for advice

    Shocked lol! lol! lol!

    sarge to coin an old phase, your a trip...
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19432
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by Superman55 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 20:42

    football51 wrote:I think that's why the Casserly information got leaked. IMO, the decisions have been made, and Casserly has already given Woody a list of GM candidates. I think the information was leaked to let the billboard fans know that they've won.

    I hope that is the case and Woody acts quickly and doesn't take his time like he did with Idzik[/quote]





    I hear you Nick. The waiting is the worst Very Happy . I think it goes faster this time because Woody isn't forcing a HC on any candidate.[/quote]



    +2 on get the new GM ASAP.

    Also wonder if Bowles is brought in, if we make a play on Fitzergarld if his $18 mill cap # is cut.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2803
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 21:01

    Ivory and Richardson named pro bowl alternates.

    Both Idzik acquisitions.
    avatar
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

    Posts : 560
    Points : 5095
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by GratefulJet on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 21:40

    Neither Richardson nor Wilkerson making Pro Bowl is a travesty. Hope this motivates them to really ball out next season. Mad

    Rumor Ron Wolf is the 2nd consultant. cheers
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10551
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by NickSINYC on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 21:42

    GratefulJet wrote:Neither Richardson nor Wilkerson making Pro Bowl is a travesty. Hope this motivates them to really ball out next season. Mad

    Rumor Ron Wolf is the 2nd consultant.  cheers

    Good news if it is Wolf
    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13252
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by Sarge on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 22:16

    Ron Wolf and Charlie Casserly is a good sign of positive change if true
    avatar
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 405
    Points : 11650
    Join date : 2014-09-06
    Location : Howard Beach, Queens NEW YORK....SON!

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by NYJETSDAN16 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 22:43

    Sarge wrote:Ron Wolf and Charlie Casserly is a good sign of positive change if true

    This would be a great Christmas present for everything we've gone through with this team this season.
    avatar
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 405
    Points : 11650
    Join date : 2014-09-06
    Location : Howard Beach, Queens NEW YORK....SON!

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by NYJETSDAN16 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 22:44


    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 1m1 minute ago

    Just to clean up the language: Ron Wolf has been approached about a consulting role with the Jets. Nothing done yet.
    avatar
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

    Posts : 560
    Points : 5095
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by GratefulJet on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 23:37

    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    Sarge wrote:Ron Wolf and Charlie Casserly is a good sign of positive change if true

    This would be a great Christmas present for everything we've gone through with this team this season.

    While I wouldn't go quite that far just yet, it does auger well for long-overdue changes being made within the organization. The last thing we need is more of the same old same old. While these guys are NFL veterans, they will push for change that results in a more professional product on the sidelines and on the field.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Charlie Casserly coming in?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon 26 Jun 2017 - 8:16