A New Community for Jets Fans


    My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Share
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12777
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by football51 on Tue 16 Dec 2014 - 17:39

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47213/coaching-candidates-on-the-jets-radar?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13255
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Sarge on Tue 16 Dec 2014 - 20:09

    Cimini is onky about 5 weeks behind the discussion we've been having here. Dumbass
    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13255
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Sarge on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 9:19

    Dan Quinn is rumored to be on the phins radar if they phire Philbin and don't get Harbaugh
    avatar
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

    Posts : 560
    Points : 5098
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by GratefulJet on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 9:43

    Sarge, I think Harbaugh is most likely to go to Michigan, followed by Miami, Chicago, and then somewhere way behind the rest, the NY Jets. What do you think?
    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13255
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Sarge on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 9:54

    I've thought Harbaugh to Michigan was a done deal for some time now. UM doesn't seem to be in a hurry to find a coach which is a pretty good sign they know who they will get

    Prediction s:

    Raiders: Todd Bowles
    Bears: Todd Haley
    49ers: Vic Fangio
    Dolphins: Dan Quinn
    Falcons: Rex Ryan
    Panthers: Pep Hamilton
    Jets: Darrell Bevell


    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 474
    Points : 11519
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by cysporsche on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 10:03

    Sarge wrote:I've thought Harbaugh to Michigan was a done deal for some time now. UM doesn't seem to be in a hurry to find a coach which is a pretty good sign they know who they will get

    Prediction s:

    Raiders: Todd Bowles
    Bears: Todd Haley
    49ers: Vic Fangio
    Dolphins: Dan Quinn
    Falcons: Rex Ryan
    Panthers: Pep Hamilton
    Jets:  Darrell Bevell

    Wonder why Michigan would pay a search firm like Korn Ferry $250K retainer to find their new HC if they've already agreed with Harbaugh ?

    Go Jets...Cyborg
    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13255
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Sarge on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 10:30

    Yeah, that's a good point

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43771
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by hobson54 on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 11:16

    Harbaugh has not said yes yet to Michigan (as far as any of the insider sources that I read know of). but he hasn't said no, and until he says no, Michigan is not gonna pursue another candidate. there probably have been some back-channel talks with candidates (and Miles is definitely on the list of who they would contact, his recent comments notwithstanding). the thinking is that Harbaugh won't pull a Bobby Petrino and quit on his team until the year ends. he's too competitive to stop coaching his team and not finish the job this year. so it may not be until after the season finale that we find out for sure. but logic dictates that the longer it goes without Michigan naming a new coach, the greater the likelihood Harbaugh is taking the job. there certainly have been plenty of back-channel talks with Harbaugh and his people (including dad Jack, who coached under Bo, including when the AD played at Michigan), and it may be that the AD has talked to Jim directly. a rumored $49 million contract has been speculated on, so there have been talks and Harbaugh is definitely interested.

    there is a lot, and increasing, optimism on the Michigan side. doesn't mean it is a done deal, but a lot of insiders, including some who aren't prone to hyperbole, are optimistic. but in the end, it is quite possible Jim himself hasn't made a decision. the thinking is if he wasn't strongly interested, he would have already said no and moved on to the next choice.

    as to the search firm, this isn't anything new. the day the AD announced Hoke was being fired, he said they would retain a search firm. i think they get paid a sliding scale, so my guess is if they hire Harbaugh, the firm will get $50k and if they hire someone else where the search firm becomes more needed, they get the $250k. but the firm is helping vet back-up candidates and probably do the due diligence and contact agents, etc, in case Harbaugh passes.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19435
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Superman55 on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 11:30

    hobson54 wrote:Harbaugh has not said yes yet to Michigan (as far as any of the insider sources that I read know of).  but he hasn't said no, and until he says no, Michigan is not gonna pursue another candidate.  there probably have been some back-channel talks with candidates (and Miles is definitely on the list of who they would contact, his recent comments notwithstanding).  the thinking is that Harbaugh won't pull a Bobby Petrino and quit on his team until the year ends.  he's too competitive to stop coaching his team and not finish the job this year.  so it may not be until after the season finale that we find out for sure.  but logic dictates that the longer it goes without Michigan naming a new coach, the greater the likelihood Harbaugh is taking the job.  there certainly have been plenty of back-channel talks with Harbaugh and his people (including dad Jack, who coached under Bo, including when the AD played at Michigan), and it may be that the AD has talked to Jim directly.  a rumored $49 million contract has been speculated on, so there have been talks and Harbaugh is definitely interested.

    there is a lot, and increasing, optimism on the Michigan side.  doesn't mean it is a done deal, but a lot of insiders, including some who aren't prone to hyperbole, are optimistic.  but in the end, it is quite possible Jim himself hasn't made a decision.  the thinking is if he wasn't strongly interested, he would have already said no and moved on to the next choice.

    as to the search firm, this isn't anything new.  the day the AD announced Hoke was being fired, he said they would retain a search firm.  i think they get paid a sliding scale, so my guess is if they hire Harbaugh, the firm will get $50k and if they hire someone else where the search firm becomes more needed, they get the $250k.  but the firm is helping vet back-up candidates and probably do the due diligence and contact agents, etc, in case Harbaugh passes.

    Search firm just connects our people to your people and get parameters built on negotiations before the sides even need to approach the table.

    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

    Posts : 190
    Points : 3795
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by LIJETFAN on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 11:47

    Hiring the Seattle coordinators only seems likely if Idzik sticks around, which I don't think he will. Of the coaches mentioned, none of them particularly thrill me other than Harbaugh. All of the first time HCs scare me. That's not to say they won't be successful, but I believe the Jets need someone that knows how to build an organization from the ground up and has been a HC before on some level. Someone that knows how to groom a QB and has at least been to a championship game, but having won is even better. Find us that guy..

    Of the coordinators, I would prefer an offensive coach, but defensive coaches have had a far better track of success winning championships. So Bowles and Quinn both seem to make some sense, with Bowles being my preference there. But I would rather have an offensive coach this time around. We need to find a QB and rebuild the offense. The defense has a ton of holes in the secondary, but that is fixable. This team is two years away from competing for the playoffs when they find a QB. Until they do that, this team will be a 6-10, 7-9 type of team every year.


    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

    Posts : 54
    Points : 988
    Join date : 2014-12-10

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Pointdexter on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 11:52

    Hey Hobson,

    Colin Cowherd keeps talking about a mystery candidate at Michigan that is supposed to be in negotiations with the school now. Colin won't divulge the name but said he would be a home run hire. Any idea on who he's talking about? He said it's someone no one is talking about and would be a surprise move.

    My only guess would be Paul Johnson of GT but that is just a complete guess on my part, due to Colin's insistence this guy is someone no one is thinking of and is kind of unconventional.

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43771
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by hobson54 on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 12:03

    Pointdexter wrote:Hey Hobson,

    Colin Cowherd keeps talking about a mystery candidate at Michigan that is supposed to be in negotiations with the school now.  Colin won't divulge the name but said he would be a home run hire.  Any idea on who he's talking about?  He said it's someone no one is talking about and would be a surprise move.

    My only guess would be Paul Johnson of GT but that is just a complete guess on my part, due to Colin's insistence this guy is someone no one is thinking of and is kind of unconventional.


    lol....cowherd has no clue what he is talking about.

    he mentioned this "mystery" candidate over a week ago and said news would break last weekend. when nothing happened, he stuck to his claim and did something like say he would write the name in an envelope and if he was right, open the envelope on air. or something like that where there is absolutely no accountability (like you couldn't switch the contents of an envelope off air).

    he is basically making things up and has zero insight into what is happening. to me, it would be no different than mike francesca saying today he knows who the next coach of the jets will be, but he won't announce it now.

    i can't claim my info is 100% accurate. but i'm doing my best to give the info i get from a premium michigan message board (on the old scout network) from sources that seem credible. some people seem to have contacts within the athletic department, with former players (including former teammates of harbaugh), with jack harbaugh (jim's dad), with les miles' people, and with big money donors (including stephen ross who has given over $300 million to michigan), and other sources developed over many years.

    there is general optimism, but no one is saying it's a done deal. what we can be sure of is that there is no plan B candidate to emerge until Harbaugh definitively says no. and that has not happened. so the cowherd's of the world are just throwing spaghetti against the wall and hoping it sticks (but of course without actually putting their necks on the line by naming names).

    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

    Posts : 54
    Points : 988
    Join date : 2014-12-10

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Pointdexter on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 13:02

    Lol, I hear ya and what you say makes logical sense. I do believe Cowherd has heard a name but how legitimate or how much substance there is behind it is certainly up for debate. No doubt he is using it to tease the audience and drive ratings.

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43771
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by hobson54 on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 13:38

    Pointdexter wrote:Lol, I hear ya and what you say makes logical sense.  I do believe Cowherd has heard a name but how legitimate or how much substance there is behind it is certainly up for debate.  No doubt he is using it to tease the audience and drive ratings.

    my guess is that if he heard a name, he caught wind of the sean payton speculation i have previously noted here. that would fall under the category of home run hire that no one really saw coming
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12777
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by football51 on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 18:24

    Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 21m 21 minutes ago
    Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43771
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by hobson54 on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 18:33

    football51 wrote:Ian Rapoport @RapSheet  ·  21m 21 minutes ago
    Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.

    funny. people on the michigan board are laughing at rappport since a few days ago he reported there was no way harbaugh would go to michigan and was staying in the pros. so i take any of his comments about the inner workings of the michigan process with a HUGE grain of salt.

    fwiw - I mentioned the $48 mil (I said $49 mil) on this board yesterday morning, so i'm going with my "sources" over this so-called expert Wink
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12777
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by football51 on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 18:46

    hobson54 wrote:
    football51 wrote:Ian Rapoport @RapSheet  ·  21m 21 minutes ago
    Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.

    funny.  people on the michigan board are laughing at rappport since a few days ago he reported there was no way harbaugh would go to michigan and was staying in the pros.  so i take any of his comments about the inner workings of the michigan process with a HUGE grain of salt.

    fwiw - I mentioned the $48 mil (I said $49 mil) on this board yesterday morning, so i'm going with my "sources" over this so-called expert Wink





    https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/871513876234588

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43771
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by hobson54 on Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 22:37

    all the nfl writers were saying there is no way harbaugh would ever come to michigan and he would stay in the nfl. slowly but surely they are now back-tracking and saying there's a chance harbaugh could take the michigan job. basically a large CYA exercise from the nfl talking heads.

    now in the end it may turn out harbaugh stays in the nfl. no one knows, including possibly harbaugh himself. but the nfl guys have consistently underestimated the possibility michigan was in serious play, and are now covering their arses.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19435
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Superman55 on Thu 18 Dec 2014 - 8:04

    We do t really know if they are even an option or a tool to drive up his NFL price tag.

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43771
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by hobson54 on Thu 18 Dec 2014 - 8:56

    Superman55 wrote:We do t really know if they are even an option or a tool to drive up his NFL price tag.

    i find it hard to believe the harbaugh is using michigan to drive up his nfl price tag. now this doesn't mean he doesn't eventually decide to stay in the nfl. but i have to think the interest is sincere, unless i accept that he is using his dad (who coached for bo and bleeds maize and blue) and close friends and former teammates to send fake messages to michigan about his interest, and unless harbaugh wants to forever make himself a pariah in the michigan community for using his alma mater like that.

    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 474
    Points : 11519
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by cysporsche on Thu 18 Dec 2014 - 10:18

    Hey Hobson, let's help the Michigan program by hiring Urban Meyer away from Ohio State. Whether you like him or hate him, he has a very impressive resume. If you watch him interviewed, he is a very professional and talented coach. And unlike Rex, he appears to be very intelligent. I'm tired of NFL re-treads, or taking a risk on an OC or DC that has never been a HC.

    What about making a run @ one of the best College coaches in football - Urban Meyer ? cheers

    Go Jets...Cyborg

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43771
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by hobson54 on Thu 18 Dec 2014 - 10:47

    cysporsche wrote:Hey Hobson, let's help the Michigan program by hiring Urban Meyer away from Ohio State. Whether you like him or hate him, he has a very impressive resume. If you watch him interviewed, he is a very professional and talented coach. And unlike Rex, he appears to be very intelligent. I'm tired of NFL re-treads, or taking a risk on an OC or DC that has never been a HC.

    What about making a run @ one of the best College coaches in football - Urban Meyer ? cheers

    Go Jets...Cyborg

    urban meyer is a great college coach. but not sure i see him as a great pro coach. add to that he runs an offense geared around mobile QBs and a variation of the option and i don't see him a fit for the nfl. recall his greatest success and ncaa titles came with tim tebow at QB.

    i want a coach that will develop a pro style QB, not a mobile option QB.
    avatar
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

    Posts : 340
    Points : 1321
    Join date : 2014-10-22

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Seaver on Thu 18 Dec 2014 - 11:29

    this thread fascinates me.......and I don't have much to say on it. I will say this though, there is no reasonable expectation that Harbaugh would say yes or no YET to Michigan. This is the Scott Boras theory at work - Harbaugh wants as many parties interested as possible to bid. He and the wife like the west coast....that in and of itself makes the sell job that much tougher/expensive for Michigan/Bears/Jets/etc.......but he needs those parties to at least believe they have a chance so he can maximize whatever destination he does find acceptable. Somebody said he is friendly with Mark Davis- OAK...I can't substantiate that.

    I see Harbaugh's ego too big to go back to college at THIS stage of his career.....even if that isn't what turns out to be the biggest reason for him staying in the NFL. He simply may feel he has graduated from those ranks. As time passes, he may re-assess after further NFL travels, but for now I'd be shocked.

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43771
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by hobson54 on Thu 18 Dec 2014 - 12:42

    WOTS is Michigan has given Harbaugh a Jan 1 deadline. personally (from a Mich perspective) I don't like this as it gives nfl teams a few days after Black Monday to make a pitch to Harbaugh/the Niners.

    but for Michigan, it does take the pressure off some of their plan B candidates (miles, mora, stoops) so they can coach their respective bowl games and not have to deal with questions about Michigan.

    Seaver - you may be right that ultimately Harbaugh's ego is too big to go back to college now. but I (admittedly looking through my maize and blue glasses) think there is a pretty decent shot he does. too many people well tapped into the process are too optimistic.

    as to the west coast stuff, that is definitely over-played. he wouldn't be this far along in the process with michigan if he was adamant on not moving (plus, who knows how long the Raiders last in Oakland). and if reports are true, $48 million goes a long way to help the missus get over leaving the coast...
    avatar
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

    Posts : 340
    Points : 1321
    Join date : 2014-10-22

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Seaver on Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 11:07

    hobson54 wrote:WOTS is Michigan has given Harbaugh a Jan 1 deadline.  personally (from a Mich perspective) I don't like this as it gives nfl teams a few days after Black Monday to make a pitch to Harbaugh/the Niners.

    but for Michigan, it does take the pressure off some of their plan B candidates (miles, mora, stoops) so they can coach their respective bowl games and not have to deal with questions about Michigan.

    Seaver - you may be right that ultimately Harbaugh's ego is too big to go back to college now.  but I (admittedly looking through my maize and blue glasses) think there is a pretty decent shot he does.  too many people well tapped into the process are too optimistic.

    as to the west coast stuff, that is definitely over-played.  he wouldn't be this far along in the process with michigan if he was adamant on not moving (plus, who knows how long the Raiders last in Oakland).  and if reports are true, $48 million goes a long way to help the missus get over leaving the coast...

    when I see that money you have to at least feel you have a chance to get him. I don't know that an NFL team would go that high....certainly not the Bears....and that would probably make Woody pucker as well. I'll stick to this is leverage for Harbaugh to get his demands for an NFL job.

    Sponsored content

    Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017 - 22:01