A New Community for Jets Fans

Back-up NFL QB's

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Back-up NFL QB's

Post by cysporsche on Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 11:55

It really makes me sick to think that the Jets might be back to ground zero in their search for another QB. I still think Mariota will be off the board by the time we pick, and I'm not totally enamored with him anyway. And do you honestly think that John Idzik would take a huge gamble on drafting Jameis Winston ?

Is there any QB's out there that could turn their career around like Carson Palmer with the Cards, or Alex Smith with the Chiefs, or Kyle Orton with the Bills, or an unknown back-up in Austin Davis with the Rams ? Here are the back-up QB's & Practice Squad QB's currently in the NFL. Pick one.

Kirk Cousins, Chad Henne, Chase Daniel, Kevin Kolb, Matt Moore, Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett, Shaun Hill, Colt McCoy, TJ Yates, Jason Campbell, Tyrod Taylor, Drew Stanton, Blake Bortles, Bruce Gradkowski, David Carr, Dominique Davis, Brock Osweiler, Terrelle Pryor, Josh Johnson, Josh McCown, Derek Anderson, Charlie Whitehurst, Graham Harrell, Mike Glennon, Tyler Wilson, Tavaris Jackson, Johnny Manziel, Thad Lewis, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Seth LaBato, Jimmy Garappolo, Keith Wenning, AJ McCarron, Brian Hoyer, Connor Shaw, Landry Jones, Tom Savage, Stephen Morris, Zach Mettenberger, Zac Dysert, Aaron Murray, Tyler Bray, Matt McGloin, Kellen Clemens, Ryan Lindley, Matt Flynn, Case Keenum, Jake Locker, Curtis Painter, Jordan Palmer, Derek Anderson, Brandon Weeden, Dan Orlovsky, EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel,Dustin Vaughan, Ryan Nassib, Matt Barkley, Marck Sanchez, GJ Kinne, Colt McCoy, Jimmy Clausen, David Fales, Kellen Moore, Scott Tolzien, Christian Ponder, Pat Devlin, Sean Renfree, Joe Webb, Matt Blanchard, Ryan Griffin, Mike Kafka, Shaun Hill, sam Bradford, Josh Johnson, BJ Daniels, and I guess Brady Quinn has retired.

Somewhere is this huge list of current "back-up" QB's, there has to be a better option, then having to start all over again with another rookie ? I would rather draft a CB, LB, WR, FS, or OL before screwing up with another Sanchez or Geno Smith. Who's your pick Jet brothers ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Re: Back-up NFL QB's

Post by Seaver on Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 12:12

if Foles shales loose I'd give him a whirl.....while drafting 1-2 QBs beyond the 1st round. Kolb I'd look at as well. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a classic placeholder QB. Beyond that I don't really like the scraps and some of those young names on the bench cant be touched.

I don't see ARZ letting Carson get away. QBs in the NFL now can stay longer because of the gap in readiness for college QBs coming out.

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche on Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 17:19

Somewhere in that group of names above is one Franchise QB and two potential starting QB's. There is a refugee in there somewhere, so rather on taking a huge risk on Jameis Winston with our # 1 pick, draft another CB or OLB or position of need ?

The name I'd like to throw out is Jake Locker 6'3"/235 and only 26 years old. He was one of the top H.S. QB's of all time, he was a stud @ Washington, and then he was picked # 8 by the Titans in 2011 Draft. He's a big strong kid that has a big armed pocket passer that can be semi mobile in a pinch. I've been told that he won't be back with the Titans.

Draft a QB in the 2nd, 3rd round, sign Locker and bring back Geno, so all 3 can compete. And if that fails go back to square zero in 2016 and draft a QB #1. I just think that Mariota is going to get killed running around, plus he'll be gone, and do you think for a second that Idzik would risk drafting Winston ? If Kyle Orton has re-viatalized his career with the Bills, there is no reason Jake Locker could'nt do the same for the Jets.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 17:40

cysporsche wrote:Somewhere in that group of names above is one Franchise QB and two potential starting QB's. There is a refugee in there somewhere, so rather on taking a huge risk on Jameis Winston with our # 1 pick, draft another CB or OLB or position of need ?

The name I'd like to throw out is Jake Locker 6'3"/235 and only 26 years old. He was one of the top H.S. QB's of all time, he was a stud @ Washington, and then he was picked # 8 by the Titans in 2011 Draft. He's a big strong kid that has a big armed pocket passer that can be semi mobile in a pinch. I've been told that he won't be back with the Titans.

Draft a QB in the 2nd, 3rd round, sign Locker and bring back Geno, so all 3 can compete. And if that fails go back to square zero in 2016 and draft a QB #1. I just think that Mariota is going to get killed running around, plus he'll be gone, and do you think for a second that Idzik would risk drafting Winston ? If Kyle Orton has re-viatalized his career with the Bills, there is no reason Jake Locker could'nt do the same for the Jets.

Go Jets...Cyborg

I agree, Cy: there's a lot of untapped potential there with Locker. It'll be up to Idzik to not only identify someone like that, but also put together a coaching staff that can unleash the Kraken, be it in Locker or whoever.
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC on Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 18:22

cysporsche wrote:Somewhere in that group of names above is one Franchise QB and two potential starting QB's. There is a refugee in there somewhere, so rather on taking a huge risk on Jameis Winston with our # 1 pick, draft another CB or OLB or position of need ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    I could live with this scenario.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017 - 18:37